Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lusers, heh

e: damnit rotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

15-year old IT pro

mods

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

rotor posted:

advantages web apps have over desktop apps:

1) users dont need to install them
2) ... ???

2) monetization via advertising. a lot of native mobile apps do this now, of course, but it's rare in desktop apps and users are much, much less receptive to it than they are to ads in web or mobile apps because it's not ubiquitous. this is a HUGE aspect of web apps. users generally expect web apps to be free, or at least start out free, because of it. honestly, i think this is the greatest difference between web and desktop apps nowadays.

3) portability. i'm not just talking about app portability; i'm also talking about data portability. if you have a bunch of word docs sitting on your desktop at home, it's much more work to set up dropbox or, let's be more realistic for the majority of users, email it to yourself than it is to just use a web app like google docs that handles that for you.

sure, there's efforts like icloud for developers to make data portability easy in desktop applications (without requiring things like dropbox), but users don't (and can't, at the moment) expect it from desktop apps

of course the entire concept of a "desktop app" is already somewhat deprecated since we probably won't have, like, desktops in 10 or 20 years. now, if you want to talk about web apps versus native apps on tablets and phones, then the lines become way more blurred because 80% of those apps are built to sync with services like icloud and have advertising-based monetization.

of course, like half of those apps are just wrappers around a uiwebview :getin:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 28, 2012

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yes, lets trust the 18 year old best buy dropout about shipping software

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

MononcQc posted:

Your regular browser won't allow that many concurrent connections per host. IE7 and other older browsers allow 2, IE8 allows 6, Chrome goes for 6, FF for 8 and used to be 4, etc.

Over each of these, you may then attempt to pipeline requests. Opera fully supports proper pipelining, Chrome does it over HTTP only, IE8 doesn't make use of it due to potential head-of-line blocking, and FF disables it by default.

This means that in general, if your images are on a single domain, you will only download from 2 to 8 of them at a time. The rest will be queued up, until the connections are closed, renegotiated, and finally downloaded to slowly appear when possible.

Assuming you still allow pipelining though that requires you to pass around cookies and HTTP headers (including cache info) every time.

In the general case, you should assume there's no pipelining. Given this, you should shard your images across many subdomains of a CDN and evenly round-robin (or randomly) go through these to allow maybe 16-32 connections instead of 2-8, to pull random numbers. This will drastically improve perceived speed by the client.

Then you should ideally sprite small images together, especially icons given HTTP headers, cookies, and poo poo, may end up weighing nearly as much as the image. Huge overhead for no reason. By spriting them, you use one connection, one transmission of client-side data only.

It's a bit useless to make sprites out of huge images given how little that saves compared to sharding domains. You may find out it helps gzipping them and cache in general, though, but it's very possible it makes things slower than if you sharded domains in the first place.

To add more, if you take your standard web site and call it with some timers, you'll find out a huge part of the load time you get comes from assets being queued up in the background -- a lot more than whatever language is used by the server, and most of the time, the database chosen. Optimizing how static assets are downloaded is likely a better time investment than most server-side optimization you could decide to make.

</sperg>

please keep your technical discussion out of the vague programming platitude slapfight thread

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

rotor posted:

websockets are a great idea if you're stuck behind a retard firewall that only passes port 80 and you're too much of a pussy to go down to IT and throw your weight around.

are there seriously companies where IT policy restricts development because lmao i would raise all manner of hell

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

this is only a thing with games though

yea I guess that's true, but what other desktop apps normal people put on their computers frequently, photoshop maybe?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

TURBO BUTTON posted:

are there seriously companies where IT policy restricts development because lmao i would raise all manner of hell

And you'd be fired for your negative attitude.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

TURBO BUTTON posted:

please keep your technical discussion out of the vague programming platitude slapfight thread

ain't a better place for serious posting than a place where you shouldn't.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TURBO BUTTON posted:

i have worked in several places where a firewall restricts everything except http-related connections, and at one place where there was not supposed to be any access to outside world at all. we could only use vpn to connect to our vcs and build cluster. naturally we were not allowed to use any non-approved hardware there as well but nobody actually gave a poo poo so we brought in our own laptops and used wifi to browse the web.

yeah, i'd say not being able to google poo poo kinda restricted development.

any time i've had non-admin user account on my work machine, i have been given local admin rights the same day.

i don't even mind using windows on a normal user account, as long as i have the possibility to run something as administrator.

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

echinopsis posted:

think of the amoutn of power used around the world to compile and execute poo poo like java every single loving time

yeah that's not how java works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TURBO BUTTON posted:

i have zero (0) ports through which i may communicate directly with an external internet device

there's one way out, one port, and it's the proxy. dns is internal and locked down

fun fact: we can't set up our VPNs here at work because there's no external network and it won't work through the internal wifi. so we have to set it up and drive down to starbucks 2 test

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

yea I guess that's true, but what other desktop apps normal people put on their computers frequently

none, anymore. because webapps are like the kudzu of computers

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

webapps are like the kudzu of computers

stealin dis

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

yea I guess that's true, but what other desktop apps normal people put on their computers frequently, photoshop maybe?

MS Office, PDF Readers (I'm aware there are now browsers with it built in, but may people still use Adobe even as a plugin in their browser!), Anti Virus, any CAD software to name a few

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

with websockets, we're finally at pairity with client/server apps from the mid-90s! it is truly a golden age.

can you websocket to a domain other than the one hosting the current page? that would be ultra lol.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Jonny 290 posted:

fun fact: we can't set up our VPNs here at work because there's no external network and it won't work through the internal wifi. so we have to set it up and drive down to starbucks 2 test

do they at least pay for a coffee or something

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

advantages web apps have over desktop apps:

1) users dont need to install them
2) ... ???

2) portability: i can make the same app work in windows xp, mac os x 10.8 mountain lion, ios, and the tiny subset of androids that have working web browsers, with appropriate layouts for different screen sizes, without a ton of extra effort on my part
3) i don't have to use poo poo languages like c++, objective-c, or java/c# to do the above
4) i can update every version at once multiple times a day without downtime or making users reboot
5) i can make all data in motion encrypted just by only ever providing an https endpoint

a platform that supports literally every computer made in the last decade in a sensible, centralized, and portable fashion? let me in on this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can actually do those with silverlight, but not with html/js/css

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
large RC/small drone idea: build it electrically powered, with smaller than normal battery packs, install a nitro engine coupled to a permanent magnet DC generator to start up and recharge on demand. ~a prius in the aire~

basically just figure out the smallest plane where you'd get ahead on energy/pound with engine/generator/fuel vs. the difference in battery capacity

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
rip shaggar

he died for web "developers" sins

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ugggggh i was waiting to do that but parrot beat me to it :saddowns:

rule 31 is one of my favorite rules

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

lol the best rule

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

2017 is going to be such a bad year.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lool

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

what constitutes a prime date, do you write the date out like 12282012 and use that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's the 28th

28 is not prime, even in base 13

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

movax posted:

ugggggh i was waiting to do that but parrot beat me to it :saddowns:

rule 31 is one of my favorite rules

it says he should be probated until the next prime date how is six hours from now the next prime date

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
YYYYMMDD :colbert:

WHOIS John Galt posted:

it says he should be probated until the next prime date how is six hours from now the next prime date

no don't

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WHOIS John Galt posted:

its uhhhhh the jewish calendar

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

2) portability: i can make the same app work in windows xp, mac os x 10.8 mountain lion, ios, and the tiny subset of androids that have working web browsers, with appropriate layouts for different screen sizes, without a ton of extra effort on my part
3) i don't have to use poo poo languages like c++, objective-c, or java/c# to do the above
4) i can update every version at once multiple times a day without downtime or making users reboot
5) i can make all data in motion encrypted just by only ever providing an https endpoint

a platform that supports literally every computer made in the last decade in a sensible, centralized, and portable fashion? let me in on this

yes, no, yes, yes (dependent on browser security tho).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

leave it to yospos to want a literal interpretation on a joke rule

you guys are no fun

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FamDav posted:

yes, no, yes, yes (dependent on browser security tho).

how do i have to use poo poo languages

haml + markdown, sass, and coffeescript are p. much the best at what they do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

you guys are no fun

leave it to stereo wires to not let us get all faux-haughty

cmon man

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

you guys are no fun

spergs gotta sperg

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Shaggar posted:

lol

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

lol the best rule

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
aaaanyways

silverlight is p. much the worst because you have the language limitations of microsoft platforms coupled with the administration overhead of binary plugins (that don't work on ios, android, or windows 8 looool) and microsot has all but said it's a dead technology

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

lol the best rule

love the parrot