Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

aaaanyways

silverlight is p. much the worst because you have the language limitations of microsoft platforms coupled with the administration overhead of binary plugins (that don't work on ios, android, or windows 8 looool) and microsot has all but said it's a dead technology

Unless you're netflix and you suck the silverlight dick for DRM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how do i have to use poo poo languages

haml + markdown, sass, and coffeescript are p. much the best at what they do

I was more saying that those other languages aren't poo poo but then I remembered all languages are poo poo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FamDav posted:

I was more saying that those other languages aren't poo poo but then I remembered all languages are poo poo.

every language is poo poo but some of them are less poo poo at a particular thing

html is a nice dialect of xml for structured documents, haml is a human-readable language for making the structure part, and markdown is a nice language for the document part

css is a good way to put attributes on a structured document, sass is a good way to write css with a few extra features that make it more powerful

javascript is lisp but everyone already has it installed and runs a mostly-compatible version of it, and coffeescript fixes the hosed up syntax

it's poo poo and lmao that there's this little set of languages that exist to make the standards a bit more palatable but at least they're open and not proprietary and so on

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
coffeescript does nothing but gently caress up javascript's already thoroughly acceptable syntax. if someone wants to use coffeescript they probably also use ruby and should be jettisoned immediately

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

also markdown is godawful. try to put a code snippet inside a list

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
use restructed text except the lack of apps suck

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0xB16B00B5 posted:

use restructed text except the lack of apps suck

tbqh markdown, restructured text, etc. are all great for prose in all the ways html and haml suck at it

as long as you use one of them you're good

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I wish someone would make a godawful symbiosis of markdown, ReST, and org for the ultimate markup language

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I wish someone would make a godawful symbiosis of markdown, ReST, and org for the ultimate markup language

lots of people at work looooove org-mode

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lots of people at work looooove org-mode

it is insanely powerful, and since you can write code in most languages, within an org document, to modify the org document, it's turing complete

but it's terribly loving written as is most emacs lisp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WHOIS John Galt posted:

it is insanely powerful, and since you can write code in most languages, within an org document, to modify the org document, it's turing complete

but it's terribly loving written as is most emacs lisp

markdown was rpetty terribly fuckign written too, perl by a non-pro (gruber)

language is dece though, there's enough good implementations

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

you can only have three priorities and the highest one has to be alphabetically earlier than the lowest one

sounds like a well-designed tool to me

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

you can only have three priorities and the highest one has to be alphabetically earlier than the lowest one

sounds like a well-designed tool to me

nope, you can change the meaning of priorities with a header

#+PRIORITIES: A D H I T C B Y

okay they have to be in alpha order but who cares

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cocoa Crispies posted:

2) portability: i can make the same app work in windows xp, mac os x 10.8 mountain lion, ios, and the tiny subset of androids that have working web browsers, with appropriate layouts for different screen sizes, without a ton of extra effort on my part
3) i don't have to use poo poo languages like c++, objective-c, or java/c# to do the above
4) i can update every version at once multiple times a day without downtime or making users reboot
5) i can make all data in motion encrypted just by only ever providing an https endpoint

a platform that supports literally every computer made in the last decade in a sensible, centralized, and portable fashion? let me in on this

none of these advantages are unique to webapps or even easier with webapps

also extra lols at: #3 and Shaggar

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lmbo

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

nope, you can change the meaning of priorities with a header

#+PRIORITIES: A D H I T C B Y

okay they have to be in alpha order but who cares

it's kind of annoying that i can't have name-based priorities but oh well

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

it's kind of annoying that i can't have name-based priorities but oh well

i've had an idea for org 2.0 on the backburner since early this year, huge rewrites of all the bullshit terrible exporting code, built in blogging platform with deployment and preview support, etc etc. maybe we should make a roadmap or something

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i've had an idea for org 2.0 on the backburner since early this year, huge rewrites of all the bullshit terrible exporting code, built in blogging platform with deployment and preview support, etc etc. maybe we should make a roadmap or something

i would work on this if i wasn't allergic to lisp :(

it's seriously one of the things that made me consider sublime text for a while until i realized the haskell support is abysmal

although i'm not sure why you'd want to blog your todo list/notes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tiny Bug Child posted:

idk why i'd even want to do that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

i can make a webapp work on ie7 and ios easier than i can not

what's the magic way to make native apps that can do that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i can make a webapp work on ie7 and ios easier than i can not

what's the magic way to make native apps that can do that

use java or c#?

edit: oh, ios? i dont know, i guess that's an issue, but that's an issue because webapps have become the standard.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

- <code>shaggar jr</code>

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

air would have been pretty great except adobe

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

use java or c#?

lol, how does that work for windows xp, ios, and android

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i edited my post, you oaf

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
oafin'
not double checkin like u should

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ooooooooo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

webapps have become the standard.

yeah and that's kind of it

.net and java client "platforms" (winforms, wpf, metro, awt, swing, swt) are each one vendor trying to make compromises to have it work anywhere (or flat out not making it work everywhere in the c# cases)

the web today is a generally accepted set of stuff that works and some nebulous "html5" stuff that only works in chrome but every os vendor is working on making their implementation the best: see microsoft's tv ads about internet explorer, google's passive-aggressive nagging about chrome, ios safari's constant improvement, etc.

surprise everyone competing to do the same thing better than everyone else wins

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah and that's kind of it

.net and java client "platforms" (winforms, wpf, metro, awt, swing, swt) are each one vendor trying to make compromises to have it work anywhere (or flat out not making it work everywhere in the c# cases)

the web today is a generally accepted set of stuff that works and some nebulous "html5" stuff that only works in chrome but every os vendor is working on making their implementation the best: see microsoft's tv ads about internet explorer, google's passive-aggressive nagging about chrome, ios safari's constant improvement, etc.

surprise everyone competing to do the same thing better than everyone else wins

the browser is not the default application container because it was technically better than everything else. the browser is the default application container because users are lazy and back when the defacto standards were emerging, security trumped basically everything because Windows and app sandboxing wasn't well implemented, which meant that nothing could run locally and the browser was the only thing that offered this environment.

Acting like HTML layouts and GUIs are somehow superior to the various java, qt or c# toolkits is simply wrong. Html layouts are lovely and the fact that they're as good as they are (ie not very) is a testament to a decade of vast amount of effort dumped into workarounds and thirdparty libraries.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im not arguing that its not the standard. Im arguing that it's a poo poo standard.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rotor posted:

except for all of them

please don't try to claim that any native "application" can match the portability of a web app. even using that term for native junk is gross

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rotor posted:

Acting like HTML layouts and GUIs are somehow superior to the various java, qt or c# toolkits is simply wrong.

they are superior though, b/c you can crap one out and it'll work on browsers everywhere.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

im not arguing that its not the standard. Im arguing that it's a poo poo standard.

oh yeah, but x86-64 is a poo poo standard but that doesn't mean you can't build something decent on top of it with enough libraries and compilers

been using twitter bootstrap quite a bit, been meaning to try bourbon + neat though

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Tiny Bug Child posted:

please don't try to claim that any native "application" can match the portability of a web app

this is too lazy and obvious even for you

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this discuss is fuckin pointless because again the only reason web apps are so ubiquitous is because of ad-based monetization and data portability and they don't offer any major advantages beyond that vOv

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

this is too lazy and obvious even for you

wtf do you think could possibly be more portable than a web app? the only thing that could even come close (and it isn't actually close) is java, which has the additional benefits of making your app look and run like poo poo

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

basically developers should hate anything "native". the idea that it's somehow a good thing is laughable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

basically developers should hate anything "native".

custer: the first coder

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

abraham linksys posted:

this discuss is fuckin pointless because again the only reason web apps are so ubiquitous is because of ad-based monetization and data portability and they don't offer any major advantages beyond that vOv

web apps are actually awful for data portability, but there's lots of money in charging for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

oh yeah, but x86-64 is a poo poo standard but that doesn't mean you can't build something decent on top of it with enough libraries and compilers

huh

might be because it's designed for compilers not humans