Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

spasticColon posted:

I got my Samsung 830 256GB in the mail yesterday and I'm just going to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on it. My copy of Windows 7 is a retail copy I bought at launch so it doesn't have service pack 1 on it so would I run into any problems?

You should be OK, just make sure you set SATA controller mode to AHCI in BIOS before you install Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

movax posted:

You should be OK, just make sure you set SATA controller mode to AHCI in BIOS before you install Windows.

Thanks. I already got it switched in the BIOS and I got all the newest drivers downloaded to my flash drive so here goes nothing.:pcgaming:

Edit: I got Win7 installed and everything is running fast and smoothly so far. How do I update the firmware or should I not bother with it since I'm not having any problems?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 27, 2012

smax
Nov 9, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Edit: I got Win7 installed and everything is running fast and smoothly so far. How do I update the firmware or should I not bother with it since I'm not having any problems?

Samsung has a utility available on their website. The 830 that I just got had the latest firmware already on it so I didn't have to flash it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

smax posted:

Samsung has a utility available on their website. The 830 that I just got had the latest firmware already on it so I didn't have to flash it.

I just installed the Samsung SSD magician and it told me my SSD already has the latest firmware too so I'm already set as well.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

movax posted:

Does it matter if you do this before you install windows? I just did a fresh install on my new Samsung 830 but I'm only getting ~250mb read/write speeds. ACHI being disabled wouldn't have that sort of effect would it?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

One thing I noticed is that while my loading times are much faster, Steam is still sluggish when its starting up. Is that just Steam being itself?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

spasticColon posted:

One thing I noticed is that while my loading times are much faster, Steam is still sluggish when its starting up. Is that just Steam being itself?
When you open Steam it goes out and loads up the new daily deals, checks for updates, etc. Your biggest slow-down is therefore your internet connection, which the SSD can't do much about.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tacier posted:

Does it matter if you do this before you install windows? I just did a fresh install on my new Samsung 830 but I'm only getting ~250mb read/write speeds. ACHI being disabled wouldn't have that sort of effect would it?
It sounds like you may have the drive connected to the wrong SATA port, make sure you are using an Intel SATA600 port, NOT a port provided by any other controller. Do check to confirm AHCI is enabled, if it's not you need to do a registry change before you can change the setting.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Alereon posted:

It sounds like you may have the drive connected to the wrong SATA port, make sure you are using an Intel SATA600 port, NOT a port provided by any other controller. Do check to confirm AHCI is enabled, if it's not you need to do a registry change before you can change the setting.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely using the normal intel sata port and not the special gsata port my Gigabyte motherboard provides, so maybe there's just some deeper incompatibility between my 3 year old hardware and the SSD and this is god's way of telling me to spend all my x-mas money upgrading to Ivy Bridge.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Tacier posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely using the normal intel sata port and not the special gsata port my Gigabyte motherboard provides, so maybe there's just some deeper incompatibility between my 3 year old hardware and the SSD and this is god's way of telling me to spend all my x-mas money upgrading to Ivy Bridge.
I wouldn't say incompatibility, per se, but there's a good chance that your motherboard only has SATA 2 ports (Intel or not), which hard-caps at 300MB/s, and would explain your comparatively low performance. Still, it should be snappy and fast for normal use, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

DrDork posted:

When you open Steam it goes out and loads up the new daily deals, checks for updates, etc. Your biggest slow-down is therefore your internet connection, which the SSD can't do much about.

Steam will also wake up any and all hard drives connected to your system for no reason, so you sometimes have to spend time waiting for all the drives to spin up.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

spasticColon posted:

As regards slow Steam, one thing you might want to try is this recently discovered tip: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32993802

While it did nothing for me, several goons reported it making a massive difference in the workings of Steam on their machines.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
One weirde olde tipe from single moms for Steam is to untick "Automatically detect settings" in Control Panel > Internet properties > Connection tab > LAN Settings

Speeds up the internal browser for some reason.

edit: ^^^^ how did I miss that

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat
OCZ Vector review courtesy of The Tech Report. I guess it looks like they're actually totally using their own controller this time?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lkz posted:

OCZ Vector review courtesy of The Tech Report. I guess it looks like they're actually totally using their own controller this time?

Dang it's fast. It's also a power-hog, expensive, and it's made by OCZ.

But at least there's a 5-year warranty.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech just posted their OCZ Vector 256GB review. OCZ claims to have a new focus on reliability, but we shall see...I don't like the weird performance curves at all. At this point I just can't wait to see what Sandforce 3 brings to the table.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Hey guys. I was thinking about getting the Intel 330 SSD in the 60GB flavor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167120), but I just wanted to ask a few questions. If there's any better deals for an Intel/Samsung drive, let me know. I'm trying to stay in the 70-100$ range.

I really don't care about games, or anything. Ideally, the only things I'd have on the SSD are my browser, the My Documents folder, the OS, and maybe Office or XSplit.

I'm concerned about space, though, since some performance hits apparently happen when there's 20% space left? How much will a fresh Win8 Pro install take up on the thing?

I also only have SATA2 ports on my motherboard. It's a 4 year old Gigabyte with LGA 775 on it.. From what some guy said earlier in the thread, the read speed is capped at 300 MB/S on SATA2 which is why I'm going for the cheap option since any better performance specs would be bottlenecked by my SATA ports.

Any thoughts? Would it be a good buy for what I want?

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 28, 2012

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Cromlech posted:

Hey guys. I was thinking about getting the Intel 330 SSD in the 60GB flavor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167120), but
Any thoughts? Would it be a good buy for what I want?

Just get the Samsung 830 128GB, it's right in your price range on recent deals. In the end, you're cheating yourself spending money on a 60GB SSD.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bob Morales posted:

Dang it's fast. It's also a power-hog, expensive, and it's made by OCZ.

But at least there's a 5-year warranty.
Given their current trajectory, I'll be surprised if OCZ (the company) are around in 5 years

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I noticed the Samsung doesn't come with the drive mount rack thing. I do need one of those if I'm installing it into a mid ATX case, right?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cromlech posted:

I noticed the Samsung doesn't come with the drive mount rack thing. I do need one of those if I'm installing it into a mid ATX case, right?

I just stuck mine against the side of the 3.5in drive bay with some duct tape.

sielke
Nov 28, 2012

Tacier posted:

I just stuck mine against the side of the 3.5in drive bay with some duct tape.

I have mine just bouncing around in my MBP and 4 lying on top of each other on the bottom of my case.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Would leaving my computer on to run idle or run folding@home when I'm not using it dramatically reduce the lifespan of my SSD? And yes I know folding@home is CPU/GPU bound but it still has to save data to the SSD. Or should I put my system in sleep mode when I'm not using it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spasticColon posted:

Would leaving my computer on to run idle or run folding@home when I'm not using it dramatically reduce the lifespan of my SSD? And yes I know folding@home is CPU/GPU bound but it still has to save data to the SSD. Or should I put my system in sleep mode when I'm not using it?

I'd be more worried about my electricity bill. You're not going to wear out your SSD.

dox posted:

Just get the Samsung 830 128GB, it's right in your price range on recent deals. In the end, you're cheating yourself spending money on a 60GB SSD.

Yea, 60GB SSD's are literally only for netbooks or laptops.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Changed the thread title to gently caress Crucial too since the V4 is such garbage and they are still unwilling to fix the firmware issue. I'll edit the OP to remove references to buying the M4 when I have some time, I'm at work at the moment. This is disappointing because the firmware problems seem like such a fixable issue, but it's only possible to work around the problem on 2.5" drives, and the V4 seems to prove they no longer care about quality.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 28, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's been so long too, what the poo poo are they doing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Back in December 2011 somebody posted:

The Corsair Force 3 120GB is in stock for $169.99.

Oh just one short year ago goons were all excited about $169 128GB drives :haw:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's been so long too, what the poo poo are they doing?
They already fixed it but the fixed version is OEM-exclusive, apparently. The big thing for me is that they never pulled the bad firmware and are still shipping it on drives, that's just irresponsible.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Some SSD news out of AnandTech today:

First, some of their forum members hacked up RAID 0 TRIM support for Z68 and P67 chipsets, and the main page reviewed it. The process is not for the faint of heart, as you need to modify a BIOS with an updated Intel RST OpROM, then flash the modified BIOS to the board.

Second, Samsung tracked the 840/840 Pro crashing bug that reviewers found, and traced it to the pre-shipping firmware. The bug has been squashed in the firmware that *should* be on all current drives, version 3B0Q (840 Pro) and 6B0Q (840). Anand updated the firmware on his review samples and is going through his reproduction steps, and the drives haven't failed yet, so that's good news.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Thanks for posting those updates! I'm still recommending that people not purchase the Samsung 840 and 840 Pro until they've had some time on the market, finding and fixing issues with pre-production samples is great, but it will take mass adoption to find the annoying bugs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think I'm going to jump on a 840 Pro when they have a sale, I live dangerously. All my SSDs until recently were OCZ Vertex of every generation :getin:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Came in because of the title change, just quick confirmation question. If I'm running a Crucial M4 with the 000F firmware, I'm good right? No new problem with that? Just problems with things before and after that?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

movax posted:

I think I'm going to jump on a 840 Pro when they have a sale, I live dangerously. All my SSDs until recently were OCZ Vertex of every generation :getin:

I bought an intel 330 thinking it would fit in a t430, then I bought a samsung 840 without checking this thread. At least they were both cheap :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

King Burgundy posted:

Came in because of the title change, just quick confirmation question. If I'm running a Crucial M4 with the 000F firmware, I'm good right? No new problem with that? Just problems with things before and after that?

The answer is right at the top of the very first post in the thread. The answer is also "You've got the good revision."

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cool thanks. For what it's worth, I checked the OP for confirmation, but Alereon just posted how he had more updates to make, so just wanted a sanity check.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I bought an intel 330 thinking it would fit in a t430, then I bought a samsung 840 without checking this thread. At least they were both cheap :(

I got a 330 for my T420, and just kinda used some home-made shims to wedge it in there after realizing it was too thick for stock rails :effort:

Have a 240GB HyperX in my trunk waiting to make its way to my parents' PC. So many SSDs now!

e: Gonna queue up Alereon a title change; "Crucial 000F is the good revision!"

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Welp. Time to get another SSD to hold my ever-growing swap/page/hibernation/startup files.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.
Weighing decisions here: get the Samsung 840 500 GB that's only $400 (CAD) or go with the more expensive 830 512 GB, which is $550. I feel like I want to live dangerously, but mostly cheaply.

EDIT: I was excited until I read the "DO NOT BUY" list and Anandtech's drives failing didn't help. I will wait it out a bit, I suppose.

DeathChill fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 29, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Welp. Time to get another SSD to hold my ever-growing swap/page/hibernation/startup files.

Unless you're running with like 4GB of physical RAM (or are regularly loading up so much that you actually NEED to page poo poo) you can very likely cut that pagefile down to 1-2GB with no ill effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003
I re-installed Windows 7 today and just ran the Intel SSD toolbox. It's been updated to 3.1.2 (apparently as of November 27th) so I updated it and flashed the newest firmware to my 335 (240GB). It now shows 0% wear instead of the somewhat worrying ~5% wear it showed when I installed it 2 weeks ago!

No new firmware for the 330 SSD in my laptop though, perhaps next time.

• Locked thread