Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

web apps are actually awful for data portability, but there's lots of money in charging for them

how so

unless you mean portability as in "can be exported/imported to different apps and will outlast the death of that web app" in which case you're completely right

when i say data portability i mean in terms of "save once, open anywhere on anything (as long as it has a web browser and can reach the web app)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

im glad we agree

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

since web apps are so awesome the obvious solution to desktop apps is to ship your app with a tiny embedded web server for all platforms and then use a browser to view the actual app's GUI

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

since web apps are so awesome the obvious solution to desktop apps is to ship your app with a tiny embedded web server for all platforms and then use a browser to view the actual app's GUI

i have actually done this.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i mean that's what sabnzbd does

mainly because that app's primary use case was for people with download boxes/media centers who want to be able to access it from other computers

i wish it was just a normal fuckin app but it's nbd

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and im not the only one, it's a fairly common practice for people who have webapps and then have a customer demand an offline version.

owenkun
Feb 26, 2007

The scent of strawberry milk.

MononcQc posted:

ship your app with a tiny embedded web server for all platforms and then use a browser to view the actual app's GUI

the firewall software on nforce4 boards worked just this way

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

there's a shitload of stuff working this way and it's somewhat horrible. It's nice because hey you can share everything, but otherwise it's terrible because "let me start my web server or port forward poo poo just to see"

In certain communities / languages it's the sign that the GUI tools are abysmal.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

but i think the point is that nobody would do this because writing apps in html using polling or stateless communication with the server is just so great, people do this because it's an expedient solution.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

let's use extJS!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

let's use extJS!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if I see a page with yet another god drat extJS panel I just close it and pretend it never happened

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
php is the best way t o hammer your dick because the hammer has two claw ends :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Bug Child posted:

basically developers should hate anything "native". the idea that it's somehow a good thing is laughable

im sure grand theft auto 5 - web edition - is going to be a great hit on the google chrome book

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

but i think the point is that nobody would do this because writing apps in html using polling or stateless communication with the server is just so great, people do this because it's an expedient solution.

well yes, but doing this you also lose the benefits that adhering to the html/http programming model has forced upon you:

you introduce a whole lot of needlessly complicated installers and updaters, there's native-code specific failure modes that are now your responsibility and all the new opportunities for data loss and corruption when running on someone else's hardware

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

In certain communities / languages it's the sign that the GUI tools are abysmal.

you wouldn't happen to be talking about every language community that's not microsoft or apple would you?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you wouldn't happen to be talking about every language community that's not microsoft or apple would you?

I was thinking more specifically of Erlang, where the Wx toolkit segfaults the VM on OSX if you drag a window to a secondary screen that's left of the main one, and also doesn't compile on newest OSX versions (or I never managed to). It's so much trouble a web GUI is pretty much the best you can do after the CLI.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

I was thinking more specifically of Erlang, where the Wx toolkit segfaults the VM on OSX if you drag a window to a secondary screen that's left of the main one, and also doesn't compile on newest OSX versions (or I never managed to). It's so much trouble a web GUI is pretty much the best you can do after the CLI.

lol what a lovely framework

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

ha, nobody at work even thinks of wx; when i did erlang factory training i was surprised to even see it in there

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ha, nobody at work even thinks of wx; when i did erlang factory training i was surprised to even see it in there

they used to have other bindings but they're deprecated and removing them soon. I wouldn't consider Erlang for anything commercial that doesn't run on a server at this point, except maybe some domain-specific things where the concepts behind Erlang really work well.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

they used to have other bindings but they're deprecated and removing them soon. I wouldn't consider Erlang for anything commercial that doesn't run on a server at this point, except maybe some domain-specific things where the concepts behind Erlang really work well.

yeah i heard it's popular for distributed key-value databases

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Zurb foundation is v. Nice and i would turn to that over bootstrap for anything over toy rails apps at this point

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Erlang is great at losing data?!?!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MononcQc posted:

I've done this, works wonders for tools when you are too lazy to have command line parameters, or remember them.

I wish Mozilla did this with Thunderbird, the UI would be much faster to use and develop new features for.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Erlang is great at losing data?!?!

mongo is c++

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Zurb foundation is v. Nice and i would turn to that over bootstrap for anything over toy rails apps at this point

that looks nice, i will try it on my next toy rails app

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

rails is cool. all i know about erlang is that it is supposedly very good for concurrent stuff/:yayclod: but someone (mononcqc) please tell me what else is cool about it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

basically developers should hate anything "native". the idea that it's somehow a good thing is laughable

trying too hard to get your own joke rule?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gucci void main posted:

rails is cool.

a sulk post

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

rails is cool. all i know about erlang is that it is supposedly very good for concurrent stuff/:yayclod: but someone (mononcqc) please tell me what else is cool about it.

it has nice primitives and libraries for making reliable distributed systems such that one machine can monitor processes on another and do the right thing if it fails or dies

the multiprocess/concurrency stuff is in service of this

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

MononcQc posted:

let's use extJS!

this but unironically bc extjs is great for people who need to make decent webapp uis with minimal effort (relative to doing it all by hand)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lookout! a small hulk!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah i heard it's popular for distributed key-value databases

OH YOU

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!
No mention of having to code web pages for multiple browsers and versions?
IE5 love?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Meiwaku posted:

No mention of having to code web pages for multiple browsers and versions?
IE5 love?

haml, coffeescript, and sass normalize the syntax to something compatible, every client-side framework ever normalizes the semantics to something ie7-compatible, if you have customers using something older fire them and/or quit your job

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gucci void main posted:

Concurrency is one. As Cocoa Crispies mentioned, it's rather nice for distributed stuff.

it's also fairly nice for soft-real time systems (you must handle events within N milliseconds, and if you go slower than that, you must be able to detect it and deal with it) as opposed to hard real time systems (you are not allowed to ever miss a timer).

Fault-tolerance is another one, but fault-tolerance as preached by TANDEM (Why Do Computers Stop and What Can Be Done About It?), which is about distributed process pairs as takeover/failover with transactions on the state. This one is less and less used as people go for Erlang for the LOL WEBSCALE factor and decide to do fault-tolerance by having a billion servers and a given percentage of them responding. The form advocated by TANDEM was well-suited to systems installed in client locations, or things that might have been more central in an architecture (you need two of it, not a thousand of it).

Otherwise something I think is cool about it is that it uses dynamic types (wait!) and has an optional Success Typing static system on top of it that you can run to analyze code. But really, the fault-tolerance, soft-real time and concurrent parts of it are the biggest selling points because they're the coolest parts.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

haml, coffeescript, and sass normalize the syntax to something compatible, every client-side framework ever normalizes the semantics to something ie7-compatible, if you have customers using something older fire them and/or quit your job

Coffeescript normalises the syntax to something non-associative. Normalising the semantics to ie7 compat is nice if you want to use ie7 for some hosed up reason. None of the client-side frameworks I've seen get around the retarded IE statement limit.

There is a reason Selinium Grid exists, and it's not because of the ease of portability of web apps.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
bourbon neat has a cool name and looks nice and ive been wanting to dig into sass more so whoever mentioned that, thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

i guess i should not put in temporary things like this

code:
my $ftp = Net::FTP->new($site) or warn "this aint' happen" && die  ;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008