Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

A number of people seem to be assuming that since the CPU bottlenecks quick 360 ports, it will also bottleneck software optimized or built from the ground up for Wii U. Even with the limited information we do have about the Wii U architecture, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Those people are going off baseless assumptions. So long as Nintendo wrote an efficient compiler the cpu is more than capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is easy: Don't buy the Wii U for the promise of third party software, as the console won't get any meaningful support by them.

flyboi posted:

Those people are going off baseless assumptions. So long as Nintendo wrote an efficient compiler the cpu is more than capable.

How do you know this?

netBuff fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Hate to break up some of the CPU talk in here, but what's the consensus on the Ninja Gaiden 3 port? I had read that it actually fixes a lot of the issues with the other console versions (I have not played a Ninja Gaiden game in a while. I know they are hard though.) I'm looking for something to put on my Xmas list and I want to expand my Wii U library. I like games like Onimusha way back in the day, and DMC and such.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

flyboi posted:

After reading marcan's comments here's a little more and explaining his comments-

So the Wii U CPU is 750 based while the 360/PS3 is based off the 970 architecture. Back when 970 was developed was before cores were fully understood or implemented and you had architecture akin to a pentium 4.
[...]
The 750 was built with the idea of single instruction for a cpu while the 970 has "hyper threading." So the Wii U cpu is a tri-core processor but each core is single threaded while the 360 and PS3 have the extra stages for threading, making instructions slower. Along with the massive amounts of edram (ram that is essentially directly attached to the core of the processor) it is plausible that the Wii U cpu while still at a slower clock speed can push MUCH more data. Also depending on how smart the compiler is for Wii U the threading is much easier for a developer to implement as you are not dealing with hyper threaded environments.

With hyper threading the idea was a processor can rely on what's called branch prediction and execute two instructions faster than one with the assumption that branch prediction will be right 99% of the time.

There's a bit more than that, but a couple of points I wanted to mention:

Threading is no easier or harder, though being restricted to one thread per core rather than having to fill two per core does keep the programmers from having to multithread code so much (and threading is hard! really loving hard to get right!). Branch failures do seriously gently caress up hyperthreading but hyperthreading doesn't only work because of branch prediction, hyperthreading works to fill long pipelines.
The long pipelines were a conscious decision, not due to misunderstanding how to build a core; shorter pipelines require each stage to be a bit more complex and as such clock speeds are lower than longer pipelines. I don't know enough about the history of the POWER architecture to know the reason for that decision, but I know with the P4 you mentioned Intel wanted clockspeed above all things and the way to do that safely was to lengthen the pipelines. However that means you end up with a lot of pipeline space to fill and not all instructions would do it, so HT was implemented as a compromise later to try to keep the pipeline filled with instructions.

The other way to fill a pipeline is to reorder instructions so that the CPU is never waiting, they can be scheduled according to resources available and time taken. Xenon and Cell processors stripped out the Out-of-Order Execution unit of the POWER chips they were based on and relied on hyperthreading to fill pipelines in order to meet their cost and speed targets. The Wii U's processor keeps its OOE unit, and with its shorter pipeline it's easier to keep the CPU full due to that. The POWER7 also is able to do more per clock due to the architecture improvements, similar to how even the slowest Ivy Bridge CPUs are much faster at doing work than the fastest Pentium 4s, despite a 2-3GHz drop in clock speed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The original game reviewed at like 2.5, this one on aggregate gets closer to 7.5.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm learning so much in this thread. :psyboom:

So for a layman the tech consensus is "the Wii U is more powerful than it looks on paper."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm learning so much in this thread. :psyboom:

So for a layman the tech consensus is "the Wii U is more powerful than it looks on paper."

And not just the Wii U!

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Jet Set Jettison posted:

More accurately, the paper stats we've been given do not paint a realistic enough picture to judge the total computing power of the Wii U vs. any other platform.

CPUs, GPUs, RAM, Software and all the various ways of connecting them all together are tremendously complicated, and it is incredibly deceiving to compare platforms with radically different architectures based on just a few numbers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Hate to break up some of the CPU talk in here, but what's the consensus on the Ninja Gaiden 3 port? I had read that it actually fixes a lot of the issues with the other console versions (I have not played a Ninja Gaiden game in a while. I know they are hard though.) I'm looking for something to put on my Xmas list and I want to expand my Wii U library. I like games like Onimusha way back in the day, and DMC and such.

I enjoyed it, it was pretty fun and has some pretty good extra content. It doesn't feel like much of a sequel, though. More like a Ninja Gaiden 2 expansion pack which hey, is actually pretty cool.
It does have some pretty lovely glitches, though. My advice is, as soon as you get the bow, buy the Falcon Eye skill, the one that lets you aim your bow by pressing L.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Calaveron posted:

I enjoyed it, it was pretty fun and has some pretty good extra content. It doesn't feel like much of a sequel, though. More like a Ninja Gaiden 2 expansion pack which hey, is actually pretty cool.
It does have some pretty lovely glitches, though. My advice is, as soon as you get the bow, buy the Falcon Eye skill, the one that lets you aim your bow by pressing L.

Thanks. I'm thinking of adding this, Tekken Tag Two and perhaps Warriors Orochi 3 to my Christmas list.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I'm so sorry I mentioned you by name and described your personal experience with your toy.

Oh wait, I didn't do that at all. Stop taking personal offense when people disagree with you about your new plastic thing :rolleyes:.

It's wild to me that people cannot separate their subjective fun from how something is seen by the general public/media.

E: And I'm not even saying that you can't have fun with it. I have fun with NES games, but those aren't next-gen games. The question I was responding to was why we cared about specs. The reason is because the Wii U is a new video game console, and most consumers expect a new video game console to clearly outperform, or have the potential to outperform, machines released seven years or so ago.

And the Wii U doesn't. That's literally my only point. I'm going to buy a Wii U once the holidays are over and I have money, but I'll do so knowing that I will have more technologically pleasing experiences on my pc or even PS3. That's just the reality of the console.

I'm going to ask my nephew if he wants to play Mario on the Wii U or have a more technologically pleasing experience on a console that does not have Mario.

:rolleyes: The point you are missing is that the general public doesn't give a flying gently caress about the raw hardware specs of the Wii U. It could be filled with jelly beans for all they care. When I picked up my console the only "technical" thing I knew about it was it had some sort of touch screen controller and it did 1080p.

If only there was some sort of way we could predict how Nintendo would do releasing a console that had less processing power than it's competitors...

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Stealthed Zombie posted:

It's a better version of a game that was pretty bad to begin with. It plays fine but unless you're into that style of gameplay it's a rent/Gamefly/buy for ~$30 game and not really worth paying full retail for.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But but but how many bits is the Wii U?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well since bits double every generation, this generation is 512 bits and that's what the Wii U has, but my Microsoft uncle says they might jump ahead and make the next XBox a 1024 bit system.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pffft that's it? I got my hands on a PS4 dev kit and it's 2048 bit at the very least

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just picked up BLOPS after not having played one since the first.

I guess I'll be the 701st person to own the game and play online.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I know not to go off MHz either, but my concern was the lower frequency along with the what seemed to be the fact that the Wii CPUs were based on older technologies than the Xenon. The original 750 was introduced in the late 90s. How could it still perform to standard today?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

How is the Sonic Racing population? I'm considering picking up a copy tonight.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

But sadly, in my opinion, this is where Nintendo is starting to flounder most. Mario Galaxy franchise totally rules but the New franchise is unarguably getting stale. Mario Kart franchise is good but it's also unarguably stale. Star Fox franchise is essentially dead. The past two major Zelda games have gotten stellar reviews and sold well, but a year later the general consensus is that the games are 'meh' (I for one really hated Skyward). Other M bodes ominously for the Metroid franchise. Smash Bros Brawl was good but not really 'better' than Melee — if the next game is nothing more than a few more iterative changes, it will feel really stale.

Basically, unless they reinvent a lot of their franchises the way they reinvented Mario with the 'Galaxy' series, will people really be excited for Nintendo releases? Would anyone here truly get excited if they announced a "Mario Kart Wii U" that looked just like an old Mario Kart?

While I agree with this, probably even feeling stronger that Nintendo's main franchises are garbage nowadays, they did pop out Xenoblade somehow. They do have Bayonetta. Other M might have been horrible, but at least Nintendo was trying something new. Wonderful 101 looks great. There are reasons to hate Nintendo yet still be optimistic.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Revol posted:

I know not to go off MHz either, but my concern was the lower frequency along with the what seemed to be the fact that the Wii CPUs were based on older technologies than the Xenon. The original 750 was introduced in the late 90s. How could it still perform to standard today?

Because it's a good architecture. The whole P4/970 series was a failed idea that executed poorly. For example the core series is based off pentium m which is based off p6 architecture. Just because the base architecture is old doesn't make it necessarily bad.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

kater posted:

There are reasons to hate Nintendo yet still be optimistic.

Why do criticisms always need to be labeled as 'hate'? I loving love Nintendo, and have since I was in elementary school. I just want to see them do better.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Revol posted:

Why do criticisms always need to be labeled as 'hate'? I loving love Nintendo, and have since I was in elementary school. I just want to see them do better.

But they are doing just fine?

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick

zenintrude posted:

It's alright I think. Sometimes you recognize people and that's kind of telling, but you can definitely races that are close to, if not full.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Edoraz posted:

They've got their niche and there's nothing wrong with that.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Edoraz posted:

Financially yes but they're making a lot of 'not-great' games these days

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Supercar Gautier posted:

A number of people seem to be assuming that since the CPU bottlenecks quick 360 ports, it will also bottleneck software optimized or built from the ground up for Wii U. Even with the limited information we do have about the Wii U architecture, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I believe it might be partially, since a lot of the modern game engines today have had years of PS3/360 performance code pumped into them, and the 360 and PS3 were very much CPU-heavy machines. The Wii U is doing a complete 180 from this, with a simple-yet-capable CPU and expecting a lot of the heavy computational lifting to be passed to the GPU.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Revol posted:

Yeah, I want to engage in this thread because I love Nintendo games and am a sure bet to buy the console, but the moment you breathe a word against what the majority of the thread feels, you're labelled as a hater who can't appreciate the finer nuance of Nintendo's substance over style/power approach.

Gonna buy Mario U so hard because I love traditional Mario games, but apparently I'm a bad man who tells people how to have fun because I think Nintendo is stumbling and fumbling when they could be running poo poo.

But fanboys always plug their ears and yell about how poo poo is great and shut up you meanie.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Is there somewhere in the Wii U settings where I can manually adjust the screen size? I remember this being part of the setup process but I can't find the option anywhere.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kater posted:

While I agree with this, probably even feeling stronger that Nintendo's main franchises are garbage nowadays, they did pop out Xenoblade somehow. They do have Bayonetta. Other M might have been horrible, but at least Nintendo was trying something new. Wonderful 101 looks great. There are reasons to hate Nintendo yet still be optimistic.

There's a huge difference between being made by Nintendo and being published by nintendo. NSMBU is a budget game for full price but it's still a great game, and pretty much every game developed from the ground up by Nintendo is of very high quality.

Metroid: Other M was the worst of team ninja and the anal-retentive idiot behind the metroid series. Wonderful 101 is being developed by platinum games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Polo-Rican posted:

Mario Kart franchise is good but it's also unarguably stale.

Mario Kart 7 is probably the best entry in the franchise's history. It's that good. It's just on a handheld and most people tend to think of the handheld Mario Kart's as inferior.

I understand what you mean by stale but how many game series' past the third title are not stale? People buy these games due to familiarity and because the game mechanics tend to be fun in every iteration.

zenintrude posted:

Was Mario Kart challenging for you? If so, it might not be the game for you. The game is very hard and sometimes unforgiving when it comes to messing up on a track in the later runs. As for online, I don't know. I'm still playing the game modes to get better.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The online is beyond dead as is any other WiiU game and it sucks rear end.

In matchmaking there are only people in Race mode, and then to race against three other people is absolutely amazing because it's normally one other person or it'll get stuck searching forever.

I can't wait for christmas to come. The best gift will be the WiiU online community getting fifty times larger, instead of the small bit of weirdo enthusiasts on it now.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 29, 2012

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Toad King posted:

I believe it might be partially, since a lot of the modern game engines today have had years of PS3/360 performance code pumped into them, and the 360 and PS3 were very much CPU-heavy machines. The Wii U is doing a complete 180 from this, with a simple-yet-capable CPU and expecting a lot of the heavy computational lifting to be passed to the GPU.

I wonder how long it'll take devs to adjust to that, if they'll bother adjusting at all. I'm really excited to see what can come out of this thing, but it's looking like it's just going to be another Wii, which is a shame. Hopefully it'll still get its lovely niche third-party wonders, though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bobnumerotres posted:

The online is beyond dead as is any other WiiU game and it sucks rear end.

In matchmaking there are only people in Race mode, and then to race against three other people is absolutely amazing because it's normally one other person or it'll get stuck searching forever.

I can't wait for christmas to come. The best gift will be the WiiU online community getting fifty times larger, instead of the small bit of weirdo enthusiasts on it now.

I've never run into another user when I try the online play with WO3 :sigh:

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
BLOPS2 has a great online setup. Aside from not being able to access the home menu while in multiplayer mode, it's great. Seeing more people with Mics lately, and everyone I've come across is pretty polite and friendly. Could use a little more spread between game modes though, as everyone seems to stick to Team Deathmatch and Domination. Never had an issue finding a 4 player game of Zombies mode either, which is a pretty good time.

The online for Sonic Racing disappoints me. You can create a custom lobby, but then there's no way to invite friends. I don't even know how friends find your game. No voice chat either.

Random lobbies are alright, but there's no way to wait for more people. As soon as two people are in, the clock counts down. People can join the lobby and spectate till the next race, but most people seem to drop out before getting to that point. I've never had a full 10 player race in Sonic.

Hoping it picks up a bit more after it's launched everywhere. It's a good distraction until Mario Kart Wii U comes out.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

The Introvert posted:

Hopefully it'll still get its lovely niche third-party wonders, though.

I think this is what Nintendo should be focusing on. Their business philosophy and brand image has already made it difficult for them to compete, even with big multiplat titles like BlOps2, ACIII, etc. Most experienced gamers would prefer to keep playing those on their console of choice. I think it's too late for them to stand side-by-side with the other two, but if they want to go "core," they should try to build their image as the "alternative" console with a library of niche games like No More Heroes, MadWorld, HotD:Overkill, Little King's Story, Wonderful 101, etc. Bayonetta 2 might already be a huge gain for them in that regard.

I mean, I've never been a multi-console owner ($$$ :smith:), so I'll gladly take the major multiplatform titles that come to Wii U, but it's far too late for Nintendo to rely on those for console (or even software) sales.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bland posted:

Financially yes but they're making a lot of 'not-great' games these days
I guess I disagree? NSMBU and NintendoLand are fantastic, a great start to the system. Even though they closed out the Wii poorly with Skyward Sword, I don't know a whole lot of people that have anything negative to say about Epic Yarn or DKC Returns. Or Mario Land 3D or Mario Kart 7. How many publishers put out the amount of titles that Nintendo does every generation, that has as many hits and as few misses as Nintendo has? It's pretty rare. Maybe Ubisoft? When I think about the games I've bought in Steam sales, I can't point out any one publisher that I bought a majority of games from. Shrug.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SpeedRazor posted:

The online for Sonic Racing disappoints me. You can create a custom lobby, but then there's no way to invite friends. I don't even know how friends find your game.

If you're in a custom lobby, there will actually be an option for friends to join you when they view their in-game friend's list. So while there's no way to just straight invite someone, you'd only need to tell them to check their list and hop in your game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guess I disagree? NSMBU and NintendoLand are fantastic, a great start to the system. Even though they closed out the Wii poorly with Skyward Sword, I don't know a whole lot of people that have anything negative to say about Epic Yarn or DKC Returns. Or Mario Land 3D or Mario Kart 7. How many publishers put out the amount of titles that Nintendo does every generation, that has as many hits and as few misses as Nintendo has? It's pretty rare. Maybe Ubisoft? When I think about the games I've bought in Steam sales, I can't point out any one publisher that I bought a majority of games from. Shrug.

Also as much as I get where the 'staleness' argument comes from, I really don't think reinventing the wheel with each iteration of a franchise makes sense. The reason people buy into these franchise is the experience they have had with the original game/older versions.

Am I the only person on SA that enjoyed Skyward Sword? (excluding Fi)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Also as much as I get where the 'staleness' argument comes from, I really don't think reinventing the wheel with each iteration of a franchise makes sense. The reason people buy into these franchise is the experience they have had with the original game/older versions.

Am I the only person on SA that enjoyed Skyward Sword? (excluding Fi)

I loved Skyward Sword, one of my favorite Zeldas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I felt like the Nintendo franchises were getting a bit stale so rather than complain I just took a break from them for awhile. They're always going to be what they're going to be and I think that's a good thing.

I skipped a few Marios and came into this most recent one fresh and really enjoyed it a lot. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with first party games on this console.

• Locked thread