Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Haha not much to say so far other than its ridiculous to go from the thunderbolt to the maxx HD.

The camera seems crappy though from the guy asking about it. From looking at photos taken from the iPhone 5 and Samsung its not even close to them.

Maybe I'm not doing something right with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I just added the $30 tethering plan to my grandfathered-unlimited iPhone 5, and as of right now everything seems to be in order. I did it through the myVerizon app since it listed that the specific tethering plan required an unlimited plan to work. While it's not as ideal as the free tethering the new plans have, it's way faster than my home Internet and costs less so I might just use this instead when I move into my new place.

Does this seem reasonable, or should I expect Verizon to shut it down if I use it to download Steam games/upload files to my web server? The terms mentioned that regular internet use, playing games, downloading music and watching movies were fine - only illegal stuff was disallowed (and probably running a server from it. Can't remember if I read that but every other consumer Internet plan I've seen has that clause).

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Cbear posted:

Haha not much to say so far other than its ridiculous to go from the thunderbolt to the maxx HD.

The camera seems crappy though from the guy asking about it. From looking at photos taken from the iPhone 5 and Samsung its not even close to them.

Maybe I'm not doing something right with it though.

This is a common complaint from what I have read. How bad are they though?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Honestly I don't take pictures so to me no problem. If you are using this as a camera a lot I would personally get something else. Like I said I'm just comparing to iPhone 5 and gs3

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I ended up getting two of those maxx hd phones on a family plan. I am finally entering the modern age from my old flip phone.

In my playing with one so far, it seems really nice. Not that I have much to compare it to. My question, is it possible to remove the icons for the verizon crapware off of the apps menu? I am still new to any of this smartphone stuff, so that may be a trivial question, but I would just like to clean up the menu a bit.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

The Gasmask posted:

I just added the $30 tethering plan to my grandfathered-unlimited iPhone 5, and as of right now everything seems to be in order. I did it through the myVerizon app since it listed that the specific tethering plan required an unlimited plan to work. While it's not as ideal as the free tethering the new plans have, it's way faster than my home Internet and costs less so I might just use this instead when I move into my new place.

Does this seem reasonable, or should I expect Verizon to shut it down if I use it to download Steam games/upload files to my web server? The terms mentioned that regular internet use, playing games, downloading music and watching movies were fine - only illegal stuff was disallowed (and probably running a server from it. Can't remember if I read that but every other consumer Internet plan I've seen has that clause).

I did this over the summer and pulled around 200gb over 3 months. Never a hickup or a word from big red.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I ended up getting two of those maxx hd phones on a family plan. I am finally entering the modern age from my old flip phone.

In my playing with one so far, it seems really nice. Not that I have much to compare it to. My question, is it possible to remove the icons for the verizon crapware off of the apps menu? I am still new to any of this smartphone stuff, so that may be a trivial question, but I would just like to clean up the menu a bit.

Hold down on the icon you don't like, so that it "picks up" and drag it up to the "More Options" at the top of the screen. Click "App Info." Then, click the "Disable" button.

Some of the installed crapware apps may have taken updates from the market, so you may be given an "uninstall updates" button instead of a disable button. In that case, uninstall the updates, then repeat that process to get a button to disable the app.

edit: vvvvv this is another way to the same end, maybe a little more straightforward.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yes, just go to Settings -> apps -> scroll down to the application and select it.

You'll be able to either uninstall or disable the app from that menu. There are only 3 that can't be disabled; Verizon App Store, Emergency Alerts, and Mobile Hotspot. The App store is going to be removed by Verizon early next year in an update since they are shutting it down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Another sign that jelly bean is incoming, Motorola just updated smart actions in the market to include jelly bean support.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

bull3964 posted:

Another sign that jelly bean is incoming, Motorola just updated smart actions in the market to include jelly bean support.

What do you think of the hd razr camera?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

XarsonX posted:

What do you think of the hd razr camera?

I use my cell phone camera about once or twice a month, so I'm not really one to judge.

With decent lighting it does ok.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 29, 2012

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

The Gasmask posted:

Is that the "4g mobile hotspot" option under "data hotspot packages?" That's the only one I see. Does that work even if when you're on 3g?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

stormrider posted:

Is that the "4g mobile hotspot" option under "data hotspot packages?" That's the only one I see. Does that work even if when you're on 3g?

Yeah, it'll work on 3G. They call it 4G mobile hotspot because it's only an option if you have grandfathered unlimited data and a 4G phone.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I use my cell phone camera about once or twice a month, so I'm not really one to judge.

With decent lighting it does ok.

Honestly I've seen a lot of pictures taken with the HD and the Maxx HD and I've yet to see what the fuss is about. I don't take many pictures with my phone so all I wanted was something dependable as close to stock android as possible.

My diztronic case just came in the mail which means my HD should be here any minute. So excited :D

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
A review comes out and says the camera is "not quite as good as the iphone's" and it turns into "the camera is horrible"

The camera is fine.

I took this on a grey misable day on my M about 40 minutes from sunset, and no time to frame or focus and it looks great..

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 29, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've been enjoying my new maxx hd so far. I charged it up yesterday to 100%, and left it off the charger last night. I've been using it heavily today with a lot of screen time, streaming video over wi-fi (netflix, ted talks, rachael maddow's show). With leaving it off the charger last night and about six and a half hours of heavy use today, I am down to 55% battery. I don't have experience with other smartphones to compare that to, but that seems pretty good. Coming from my old flipphone which I used to leave off the charger for a week at a time, some of the numbers I saw for other smartphones just kind of scared me a bit. So, I decided to err on the side of battery.

I get about 10 Mbps down and up on 4G in greensburg PA, compared to about 15 Mbps down and 3.5 Mbps up on my wireless (comcast cable internet). Not bad, but not as fast as the speeds some people are reporting in other areas.

The thing feels pretty solidly built, and isn't terribly plasticy. The design definitely has a bit more of a boxy look compared to some other phones though.

As mentioned, the camera isn't all that great. I am used to taking pictures with my canon s95 though, so I might be expecting too much from a cellphone.

As much as the DNA tempted me, so far I am not regretting the purchase. When my next upgrade comes up I am sure there will be 1080p phones aplenty that have solid batteries.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 29, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Filthy Monkey posted:

As much as the DNA tempted me, so far I am not regretting this purchase. When my next upgrade comes up I am sure there will be 1080p phones aplenty that have solid batteries.
I wouldn't count on it. The benefits of 1080p are negligible over 720p until you get to the 7" range. It's just a gimmick that adds that many more pixels to light up and for the GPU to push, which leads to poorer battery life and performance.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I was going to ask bull or MightyHorse if they had a Galaxy Nexus to compare camera quality with the new RAZRs. Turns out phonearena.com already did some test shots. They're very, very similar. So that's good and bad: the photos are definitely decent, but they only match last generation's Nexus (and maybe two generations ago iPhone :v: ). Basically any other high end phone, including the Nexus 4, should be somewhat better, but the RAZR cameras should be fine in general.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I would say it's on par with my Galaxy Neuxs. It can turn out good photos if there's ample light, but low light photos and photos with the flash can be hit or miss.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I still have about a year left on my contract. I remember reading in this thread that you can transfer a contract to someone if they pay for the remainder of the term. I work with a guy and we talked about doing this so I could jump to another carrier and he could switch to Verizon and have unlimited data. Is this a thing that can be done?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

stormrider posted:

Yep, that's the one. It works fine on 3G, albeit slightly slower on the tethered device.

I know the grandfathered unlimited gravy train won't be lasting forever, but I'm glad I have it while it's around.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I'm looking to upgrade from my Thunderbolt and am currently on an unlimited data plan. When I go through the process on the Verizon website, I'm forced to choose one of the Share Everything plans. I thought I'd read that only new Verizon customers would have to go to a Share Everything plan and that as an existing customer, I'd be able to choose an individual data plan. Is that wrong? Or is there something else I have to do?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gilg posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my Thunderbolt and am currently on an unlimited data plan. When I go through the process on the Verizon website, I'm forced to choose one of the Share Everything plans. I thought I'd read that only new Verizon customers would have to go to a Share Everything plan and that as an existing customer, I'd be able to choose an individual data plan. Is that wrong? Or is there something else I have to do?

If you use an upgrade on a line with unlimited data, that line will lose unlimited. Your options are to buy a new phone at full price, buy a used phone, or use another line's upgrade to get the phone you would want and then switch the phone to your line.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

If you use an upgrade on a line with unlimited data, that line will lose unlimited. Your options are to buy a new phone at full price, buy a used phone, or use another line's upgrade to get the phone you would want and then switch the phone to your line.
Ah, I know I'd be losing my unlimited, I'm fine with that. I just thought there was another option besides Share Everything plans, i.e. choosing a voice plan and choosing a data plan (probably 2 GB) for myself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There really should be, you shouldn't have to go to share everything, just a tiered dataplan.

It's probably hidden on the website or conveniently "broken." You should be able to do it by phone or in store.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I know it exists as that's what the Best Buy rep was offering me when I got my phone on Black Friday. I want to say it was a 2GB and 4GB tier. Unfortunately it wasn't that great of a price and opted for the Everything Share Plan anyway since I was planning to bring my mother onto my plan with me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gilg posted:

Ah, I know I'd be losing my unlimited, I'm fine with that. I just thought there was another option besides Share Everything plans, i.e. choosing a voice plan and choosing a data plan (probably 2 GB) for myself.

Oh, my bad :doh: Yeah, you're absolutely right, you should be able to get your own tiered data plan. I saw "I have unlimited and want to upgrade" and glazed over the rest!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I know it exists as that's what the Best Buy rep was offering me when I got my phone on Black Friday. I want to say it was a 2GB and 4GB tier. Unfortunately it wasn't that great of a price and opted for the Everything Share Plan anyway since I was planning to bring my mother onto my plan with me.

They only exist if you're still under the old family and individual plans, new customers have to go with the Share Everything business.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

I was going to ask bull or MightyHorse if they had a Galaxy Nexus to compare camera quality with the new RAZRs. Turns out phonearena.com already did some test shots. They're very, very similar. So that's good and bad: the photos are definitely decent, but they only match last generation's Nexus (and maybe two generations ago iPhone :v: ). Basically any other high end phone, including the Nexus 4, should be somewhat better, but the RAZR cameras should be fine in general.
That link is from a year ago with the non-HD Droid RAZRs. Is the camera sensor in the HD one the same?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Hey Bull, is there a way to set up messaging so that I can send texts in landscape without hitting "done" first on the HD?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

kbar posted:

That link is from a year ago with the non-HD Droid RAZRs. Is the camera sensor in the HD one the same?
Most of the reviews say that the cameras seem unchanged between the HD and the previous razrs.

To be fair, you aren't picking up one of these phones for a best in class camera though. You are picking it up because it is powered by black magic. You can look at the last couple of battery life graphs on anandtech's nexus4 review.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/2

A 3300 mah battery like this is what phones should be shipping with.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 30, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On Terra Firma posted:

Hey Bull, is there a way to set up messaging so that I can send texts in landscape without hitting "done" first on the HD?

Doesn't look like it. I don't use landscape much so I never noticed it before.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Speaking of the hotspot plan, it blows my mind how janky the hotspot on the Galaxy Nexus was compared to the RAZR HD. The thing couldn't keep a stable connection at all and in the rare instance that it did work, it was dog slow. The RAZR is solid and fast.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

The giant Verizon logo on the front of my Note 2 is obnoxious. Everything else about the phone owns.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lblitzer posted:

They only exist if you're still under the old family and individual plans, new customers have to go with the Share Everything business.

I'm aware. My post was part of the discussion of the last 3 people above me were discussing and the fact that it was only available to current Verizon customers was already mentioned.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Speaking of the hotspot plan, it blows my mind how janky the hotspot on the Galaxy Nexus was compared to the RAZR HD. The thing couldn't keep a stable connection at all and in the rare instance that it did work, it was dog slow. The RAZR is solid and fast.

I just got my Razr Hd this afternoon. I spent a lot of time tweaking and customizing things so I drained the battery from 45% to 5 really quick (3 hours) but I'm sure once I get everything synced, downloaded, and updated, I'll get a pretty nice bit of use out of it.

Should have gone for the Maxx, but I'm not sweating it now.

Really confused as to why people think this display is sub-par. I went to an ATT store yesterday and saw an HTC One X, and while it was nice, I don't think it was light years ahead of what the HD is capable of. I threw some custom icons on there with a nice high resolution wallpaper and it looks clear and crisp to me.

Really beginning to realize that editors and writers who review phones are the most picky group of people on the face of the earth (I'm looking at you Verge!).

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
You know, the only reason I want to upgrade my thunderbolt is because I have an unlimited data plan I can keep, and the thunderbolt wont allow mobile hotspotting with any third party app. Basically, if I want to hotspot, I have to pay extra, if I upgrade, then I wont have to. I looked at the galaxy S3s, and those tings are just extremely uncomfortable to hold. Theyre too wide, too thin, they feel flimsy from the plastic material and are not very dense (to ensure that it can at least not break on minor impact)
300 bux is pretty steep for an HD maxx, but has anyone heard any good things about the razor m? battery life wise? speed? etc. Also, do all phones have the ability to be hotspots with foxfi? I have already heard that razrs are encountering issues with the app.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dr Blah PhD posted:

You know, the only reason I want to upgrade my thunderbolt is because I have an unlimited data plan I can keep, and the thunderbolt wont allow mobile hotspotting with any third party app. Basically, if I want to hotspot, I have to pay extra, if I upgrade, then I wont have to. I looked at the galaxy S3s, and those tings are just extremely uncomfortable to hold. Theyre too wide, too thin, they feel flimsy from the plastic material and are not very dense (to ensure that it can at least not break on minor impact)
300 bux is pretty steep for an HD maxx, but has anyone heard any good things about the razor m? battery life wise? speed? etc. Also, do all phones have the ability to be hotspots with foxfi? I have already heard that razrs are encountering issues with the app.

Razr HD is 150 on amazon and I think the Maxx is 180. I got the HD and I love it so far.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

mesc posted:

The giant Verizon logo on the front of my Note 2 is obnoxious. Everything else about the phone owns.

Hows battery life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Dr Blah PhD posted:

I think it's going to be hard to keep your data plan unless you pay full price for a phone.

• Locked thread