Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Iretep posted:

Anyone know if its actually possible to hack yourself so that you're permanently gravelorded?

I've been wondering this. It seems like it should literally be just changing a variable in cheat engine but you would need someone gravelording you to figure out what that variable is. Fat chance, but if anyone figures it out(I could be wrong, I've never hacked in this game) I'd love to know how to do it. I want to do a playthrough with every area permanently gravelorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

If you are having trouble taking them solo and you are out of humanity, put your sign down and get summoned! You'll get souls and a humanity for it and it will give you more practice against them. Anor Londo has a lot of invaders, but unless you are unlucky you should be able to summon a couple dudes at the bonfire to help before you get invaded.
I've never been terribly clear on this; I know I need to be human to summon, but do I need to be human to be summoned?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paracelsus posted:

I've never been terribly clear on this; I know I need to be human to summon, but do I need to be human to be summoned?

No. You can use your white soapstone in undead form and people can summon you just fine.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

KaneTW posted:

It's possible, but I haven't found out how and :effort: to find it out.

Out of curiosity, have you found the address for the variable that determines the multiplayer objective? Not the Hollow type, but whether you are invading for an ear, for the humanity, or what have you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Speaking of gravelording. Is there any clear info around on if it works right and if so: how?
I've seen the message "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the servant" multiple times, but never spotted a gravelord black phantom. I did see the sign that you use to invade the Gravelord servant's word a couple of times, but when I tried to use it didn't do anything.
I've read that gravelording only works in NG+. but on my current NG+ playthrough I just got the message that the disasters are gone again, with again: no gravelord black phantoms.
It's kinda bugging me; getting gravelorded is the only thing I haven't done yet in DS.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
So, with buffs like Crystal Magic Weapon, Ricard's Rapier doesn't do the full buff damage on each hit for the R2? If so, would I be better off with a +15 Uchigatana with CMW or a +15 Bandit Knife with CMW? I want to do decent damage in a really quick succession, if for nothing else than to play around with it. I've got all the necessary sorcery buffs and the TCC, and my int is at 40.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Zombies' Downfall posted:

A lot of people also seem to forget that the black/silver knights are abnormally large, suited to Gwyn and his family's stature. Ciaran isn't oversized, but begins with "you humans" when you attack her. So they aren't just humans ascended to divine status.

I would just say the size thing is for reasons of practicality and art direction, but the dialogue (both present and cut) that suggests the elite of Anor Londo aren't human and the story stuff with the pygmy and his fellows being primordial man (by contrast to the other creatures who claim lord souls) makes me believe they're simply another race of elves or titans or ancients or whatever. Smaller and more elegant and refined than giants, larger and more majestic than men. The Witch of Izalith is probably also one of them; Quelana and the like might have a normal stature for the same reason as Ciaran (which could even be laziness or a mistake), or perhaps their unknown father was human or something. Who cares.

They could be humans in service of the gods, in the case of Ciaran. Kinda hard to explain all those Painting Guardians away with another race, they must be human and in service. It's very likely that Ciaran is just an assassin in Gwyn's court, and works so well because of the whole being-small thing.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Brother Scrotum posted:

So, with buffs like Crystal Magic Weapon, Ricard's Rapier doesn't do the full buff damage on each hit for the R2? If so, would I be better off with a +15 Uchigatana with CMW or a +15 Bandit Knife with CMW? I want to do decent damage in a really quick succession, if for nothing else than to play around with it. I've got all the necessary sorcery buffs and the TCC, and my int is at 40.

Use a weapon with a two hit backstab/riposte and parry everything. If you're going for pvp, the issue isn't how fast the weapon attacks, but being able to consistently hit with it, and that is not going to happen with Ricard's r2-r2 if that is your goal.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Out of curiosity, have you found the address for the variable that determines the multiplayer objective? Not the Hollow type, but whether you are invading for an ear, for the humanity, or what have you.

I haven't bothered yet, but it's on my to-do list. Not sure when I want to do Dark Souls stuff again though.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Except for the fact that she says "Hmph, you humans, always taking what you please. Then, I shall do the same." when you attack her.

Size matters in Dark Souls, except when it doesn't. The Knight Berenikes are twice the size of normal men, except for their strongest warrior (Tarkus) who has the exact same height as the player. Ciaran is probably the same species as Artorias and Ornstein; it's just that FromSoft couldn't justify the resources to not only create an armor set for her but also a unique model (Unlike non-DLC NPCS she is bald under her helm and has a very generic face.) She could also be an elf I guess! Either way, she isn't human.

My personal theory on all of the species theorizing is that there are three distinct humanoid races in Dark Souls; Giants, Lords, and Humans. Nito is a giant, and they were the first of the humanoids to crawl under the earth. Gwyn, his knights, and the Witch of Izalith are Lords; they were the most numerous humanoids when the flames first came. Proper humans are all descendants of the furtive pygmy, a twisted Lord who found the Dark Soul and scattered it among his children; all humans are born with some amount of the Dark Soul, and that is what gives them the ability to revive as undead and (somewhat) resist the poison of the abyss.

There are a few holes in the theory, but to me it makes the most sense while keeping with the general feel of the game.

edit: Oh and Gwynevere is only so big because she is an illusion meant to be as inspiring and breathtaking as possible.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 29, 2012

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

KaneTW posted:

I haven't bothered yet, but it's on my to-do list. Not sure when I want to do Dark Souls stuff again though.

A shame. That's about the last thing I can think of that's worth finding out, aside from the Gravelord thing.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

It might also be that they distinguish "human" and "not human" by what soul they bear, with humans bearing pieces of the Dark Soul and the rest bearing shards or fragments from the other Lord Souls.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Toiwat posted:

It might also be that they distinguish "human" and "not human" by what soul they bear, with humans bearing pieces of the Dark Soul and the rest bearing shards or fragments from the other Lord Souls.

It turns out the sewer rats were the most human of us all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I always used to think of Gwyn as a human before he touched the Lord Soul. If you denote a human as someone with a piece of the Dark Soul, then what do you call the people who existed before the Dark Soul was found? Is it not possible that everyone who wasn't a giant is human and the difference only lies in the type of soul they possess? Maybe all of Gwyn's entourage (aside from obvious giants like Smough or Gough) were humans before he imparted a piece of his soul to each of them. In that respect, even his giant buddies received his powers the same as the non-giants. I don't think it's really right to say taht anyone receiving Gwyn's power wasn't ever human, and they may still be human now, albeit altered. Maybe they stopped seeing themselves as human after a certain point, or they just became really detached from society at large.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm much more interested in the darksign itself, truthfully. I find it really interesting that in an era where humans were subservient to the all-powerful and nigh-immortal Lords, they're faced with their own mortality while the humans are truly immortal.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It turns out the sewer rats were the most human of us all.

This has always bothered me. Why do rats have so much drat humanity!?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Darksign is seen as a curse, though. Once you become undead, you've only got so long before you go insane.

e: Snow rats unnerve the gently caress out of me with that awful cough-grunt sound they make. Jesus, Priscilla, take those fuckers to a vet or something.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The Darksign is seen as a curse, though. Once you become undead, you've only got so long before you go insane.

I don't remember which video series it was, but who calls it a curse? Not the Undead. It's called a curse by the people it threatens.

Basically to not be Hollow you need A: Humanity and B: Motivation, but as long as you have those you can come back forever and ever. If you were a not-really-immortal-just-really-powerful-deity and you learned that your subjects could harness the power of a Lord's Soul on top of actual immortality, wouldn't you try to snuff that out as quickly as possible?

e: Rats have humanity because they scavenge the dead. Similarly baby skeletons have humanity because they're babies, but the pick-up window is small because they're babies, they only have a little :haw:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I'm much more interested in the darksign itself, truthfully. I find it really interesting that in an era where humans were subservient to the all-powerful and nigh-immortal Lords, they're faced with their own mortality while the humans are truly immortal.

Why do you think bearers of the Dark Sign are locked away in prisons and asylums as soon as they are discovered? I imagine if the undead weren't treated so poorly, and weren't quarantined in some distant land, not nearly as many would go hollow. They'll do anything to keep the power of humanity limited. I imagine a situation where politicians send off otherwise sane undead to some hellhole where they have almost no choice but to degenerate, then point to them and say "see, this is why we need to do it!" Kind of like the American prison system. :v:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Humans are supposed to be descendants of the original Dark Soul holder, but how did they originally acquire regular souls, like the ones found on dead Proud Knights? Was it bestowed upon them for their loyalty to Gwyn?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Magres posted:

This has always bothered me. Why do rats have so much drat humanity!?

Rats are living creatures, and their stomachs are bloated with the flesh of the dead - pieces of humanity contained in the flesh coagulate in their guts, forming solid chunks that desperate undead can use to restore themselves.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

I think another aspect of this game that causes such a problem is the lands outside of Lordran. There are, supposedly, more countries out there. Lordran is actually some form of purgatory, I think. You can go all the way up, as far as you can go, to reach Anor Londo, the city of the Gods, and commune with them. There's also a score of Demons far underneath the lowest portions of the country. Every human there is Undead in some fashion. People are willingly becoming undead to come here. The player character has some established backstory outside of just being yet another undead, too. You come from some place. You previously did things. Then you became undead and whoops, into jail you go.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Hey, just started playing and I have a game-mechanic question: There are mobs who jump on your shoulders and plants who swallow your head: The long animation leaves me wondering if I have a chance of getting out of the attack (in other games it would be a mash-the-button type event). Or is it just a "you dun goofed" animation?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Grim Up North posted:

Hey, just started playing and I have a game-mechanic question: There are mobs who jump on your shoulders and plants who swallow your head: The long animation leaves me wondering if I have a chance of getting out of the attack (in other games it would be a mash-the-button type event). Or is it just a "you dun goofed" animation?

Usually if a grab animation deals damage to you gradually (like the trees in Darkroot that grab you) you can mash RB/LB to escape early and avoid some of the damage, sort of like grabs in Street Fighter II.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Tong, is correct, just mash all 4 shoulder buttons and the grab will get shortened. It's a lifesaver on a few bosses and some tough uncommon enemies later on.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is there a way to make x360ce actually work with Dark Souls? I want to swap the trigger functions with the bumpers (so the trigger is attack/block and the bumper is heavy attack/parry) but I can't make it work.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

Humans are supposed to be descendants of the original Dark Soul holder, but how did they originally acquire regular souls, like the ones found on dead Proud Knights? Was it bestowed upon them for their loyalty to Gwyn?

I think souls are usually just life energy that every "living" being in the Dark Souls world possesses. Regular souls are probably distinct from lord souls and the special souls Gwyn granted to his knights.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is there a way to make x360ce actually work with Dark Souls? I want to swap the trigger functions with the bumpers (so the trigger is attack/block and the bumper is heavy attack/parry) but I can't make it work.

Holy poo poo I just came here to post the exact same thing. I can't for the life of me figure out how to configure the 360 controller. Configure menu in the game only recognizes keyboard keys. gently caress holding down the left bumper button for any length of time, its extremely awkward.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think souls are usually just life energy that every "living" being in the Dark Souls world possesses. Regular souls are probably distinct from lord souls and the special souls Gwyn granted to his knights.

I just looked and that's pretty much exactly what the item description for the unknown soldier's soul says. The way I see it, you can use regular souls and lord souls for the exact same thing: eat 'em to make your soul more powerful. The only difference is that the lord souls have something special to them, and due to their nature you can do more with them than the souls of ordinary creatures.

Also, the item description for humanity says: "This black sprite is called humanity, but little is known about it's true nature. If the soul is the source of all life, then what distinguishes the humanity we hold within ourselves?"

I kind of like that the game basically leaves it an open question as to what humanity is, aside from that it's a shard of the original dark soul.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
If anyone wants to help me get Seath's tail (sl 61) throw down a sign by his fog wall, I'm waiting there

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I just looked and that's pretty much exactly what the item description for the unknown soldier's soul says. The way I see it, you can use regular souls and lord souls for the exact same thing: eat 'em to make your soul more powerful. The only difference is that the lord souls have something special to them, and due to their nature you can do more with them than the souls of ordinary creatures.

Also, the item description for humanity says: "This black sprite is called humanity, but little is known about it's true nature. If the soul is the source of all life, then what distinguishes the humanity we hold within ourselves?"

I kind of like that the game basically leaves it an open question as to what humanity is, aside from that it's a shard of the original dark soul.

You can live just fine with only souls.

Humanity is what makes us human.

Such a simple message to include, and done in such a convoluted way, and yet still so very good.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like that they made humanity kind of a weird, creepy thing. It's more original than humanity being magical and pure like in a lot of other fiction. I really liked how in oolacile all the creatures whose humanity ran wild are always giggling and laughing, compared to the humourlessness of every other creature in the game. Like humour is something unique to humanity.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
To be honest, I wasn't really into the way souls were handled in this game. I loved how everything in Demon's Souls revolved around souls. In this game everything is about humanity and souls feel extraneous (aside from the lord souls). Like, in the first game, using souls as currency made perfect sense, but in this game it only feels like a gameplay mechanic.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not to mention Manus. Humanity is pretty cool it seems

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The souls mechanic in this game is kind of weird. In demon's souls each soul was literally one person's soul, and the monsters in the mists of boletaria had killed a shitload of people and absorbed their souls. In dark souls its kind of a holdover without that lore explaination.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Newbie question time: after clearing the tutorial, what area am I supposed to explore next? I spent a while in the Undead Burg, did as much as I could, but now the only way I see to go is blocked by an enormous boss monster that I got horribly murdered by. I went to the Londo Ruins and got horribly murdered by invulnerable ghosts, and I went back over the hill near the starting camp and got horribly murdered by skeletons. So, uh, where am I supposed to go?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I don't remember which video series it was, but who calls it a curse? Not the Undead. It's called a curse by the people it threatens.

-Mom! Dad is going hollow again. He's babbling something about wanting to be gloriously incandescent and doodling on his favourite shield. Should I kill him one more time before he tries to, you know, put a candle on top of his head and try to murder us, as usual?

-Good grief, again?, Just kill the fool and while he is dead fedex him to Lordran. For Gwyn! that stupid dark seal is such a curse.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I like that they made humanity kind of a weird, creepy thing. It's more original than humanity being magical and pure like in a lot of other fiction. I really liked how in oolacile all the creatures whose humanity ran wild are always giggling and laughing, compared to the humourlessness of every other creature in the game. Like humour is something unique to humanity.

Mimics should drop humanity, then. They're always loving giggling.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Mimics should drop humanity, then. They're always loving giggling.

Maybe they learned to giggle because they imitate humans :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

quiggy posted:

Newbie question time: after clearing the tutorial, what area am I supposed to explore next? I spent a while in the Undead Burg, did as much as I could, but now the only way I see to go is blocked by an enormous boss monster that I got horribly murdered by. I went to the Londo Ruins and got horribly murdered by invulnerable ghosts, and I went back over the hill near the starting camp and got horribly murdered by skeletons. So, uh, where am I supposed to go?

You're supposed to go to the enormous boss monster. You can make the fight a little easier by climbing up the tower near the entrance after he shows up, then doing a jumping attack on him.

• Locked thread