Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fallom posted:

One of my favorite things is when Scott takes a moment to say "I make it a point not to bring up politics on this show but listen, this Obama guy has got to go, right? Can we all agree on that? I mean, come ON."

There's just something so hilariously absurd about it whenever he does it.

I really loved when he was like "Okay, I should probably stop that now" when it was like the show before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
When they were doing the political parody songs with Bob Odenkirk a couple weeks ago I was so sure they were all going to be ultra-conservative, and I was really disappointed when they weren't.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget the Monu-gent's comical treatment of this presidential faux pas

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Fallom posted:

One of my favorite things is when Scott takes a moment to say "I make it a point not to bring up politics on this show but listen, this Obama guy has got to go, right? Can we all agree on that? I mean, come ON."

There's just something so hilariously absurd about it whenever he does it.

You mean President Obamacare?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

President Barack Hussein Obamacare?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Was there ever any word of a second season of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show? I avoided it while it was on because I thought it might be too different from the podcast or something, but I went through the whole series recently and really liked it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

KimT posted:

Was there ever any word of a second season of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show? I avoided it while it was on because I thought it might be too different from the podcast or something, but I went through the whole series recently and really liked it.
I am pretty sure it got picked up, but I am basing this on an interview with Hot Saucerman where he talks about stopping the Bang Bang live show. He cites the TV show and podcast as reasons to quit, and since this was long after the TV show had stopped airing...

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It was already announced a while ago that ifc was dropping bunk, so if they were dropping cbb too they probably would have done it then.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Trujillo posted:

It was already announced a while ago that ifc was dropping bunk

Wait what :smith:

Man, I loved the Bunk/CBB hour; that loving sucks. You'd think something like Bunk has such low production values that they could just keep going with it. Ugh

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What are the former stars of MadTV besides Key & Peele going to do now!?!??!?!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

jeffullrich posted:

Here is the previously untold story of Pepsi Next...

It started off great. They were buying a pre-roll for every third Earwolf show in April, May & June. We were going to have say in the copy and I hired the hilarious Chris Cox to do the VO. I was really excited. We could make some money and have a feather in our cap when it came to recruiting bigger sponsors. I was feeling pretty good.

Then they came to record. Great guys, great copy. But it was too long (100 secs to start) and didn't have the same production value or personal voice that we would want. By that time I realized it wasn't really for me to say how it went and the best I could do was to get it down to 65 secs. Which was the bes I could do. Still way too long and didn't really feel like something we would normally do. I was worried, but at that point felt my hands were tied.

The next part was what I think really screwed it up and caused us to have some listeners lose trust: they didn't approve the final file until May 29th or 30th, instead of the end March when we originally planned. When I finally received approval, I said "Okay, we'll start running June 1st through August 30th." I was told that the original timeline couldn't be moved and I was obligated to deliver 3.5 million impressions by June 30th, within Q2. So we had to run a spot that was too long, not enough in our own voice and with a lower production level than we would like...on every show, sometimes more than once, for a full month. It was rough. And the fans were pissed, rightfully so. Many were happy that we had the opportunity, but many were not. They felt betrayed. I understood but didn't think pulling them was a good idea either.

So we all endured. I couldn't say anything publicly because that would be unprofessional, and at the same time the guys we worked with were great and I didn't want to throw them under the bus. I really think it was all of these factors that didn't work, not their copy. So I shut up and took it. Even now, I still hear about it but I learned a lot and won't put myself in a position for that to happen again.

And the listeners have for the most part forgiven us, based on the fact that we are pretty careful about our ads now and vet all the sponsors and spots to make sure they are relevant to a big enough part of our audience so that it makes sense. The key I think is this: Not everyone who listens to Sklarbro Country are interested in buying $90 pants from Bobonos.com. But they understand that plenty of the people in the community are interested. It's when you do spots (reverse mortgages, shady divorce attorneys, et.c) that NO ONE feels the community would benefit from, then it's selling out and no one feels good about that.

Thanks for giving me a chance to explain after all this time!

Jeff Ullrich has been posting in the Earwolf thread, and this is the story of Pepsi Next. :catstare:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

abraham linksys posted:

Wait what :smith:

Man, I loved the Bunk/CBB hour; that loving sucks. You'd think something like Bunk has such low production values that they could just keep going with it. Ugh

Americans hate game shows with no stakes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

indigi posted:

Americans hate game shows with no stakes.

American Whose Line had eight seasons :colbert:

though that's the exception that proves the rule, I know

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
And how much ratings strategy is going to be effective on a network like IFC? Don't they show reruns and old movies most of the time? Seeing the indications that the CBB tv show will be continuing is very nice, though.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I forgot to vote until I caught up on this thread. Here's what I picked:

142 - Popcorn.com
148 - Wipeout!
150 - Time Bobby
154 - Finger Guns
156 - Anniversary Party!
166 - Farts and Procreation 2
167 - New No-Nos
178 - Motor Boating Around Town
180 - Friends Without Words
183 - Return to Suicide House

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

UP AND ADAM posted:

And how much ratings strategy is going to be effective on a network like IFC? Don't they show reruns and old movies most of the time? Seeing the indications that the CBB tv show will be continuing is very nice, though.

IFC has been trying pretty hard over the last couple of years to rebrand itself as a comedy-friendly network, starting with them picking up Whitest Kids U'Know from Fuse, taking critical-darling shows like Arrested Development and Freaks And Geeks, then grabbing Portlandia, and then CBB and Maron when it finally comes on. It'd be nice to see IFC as the indie alternative to Comedy Central, but they are far from ready for it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I really tried to like Bunk, but it just wasn't all that funny. Which was odd, because the guests were funny people that I like doing other things. I think what put me off most was the forced and excessive laughter to ANY kind of joke.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Someone has actually registered and started a service at popcorn.com. I am outraged that it's some stupid phone forwarding service and has nothing to do with movies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eltoasto posted:

I really tried to like Bunk, but it just wasn't all that funny. Which was odd, because the guests were funny people that I like doing other things. I think what put me off most was the forced and excessive laughter to ANY kind of joke.

Yea Bunk had funny people doing funny things, but the pacing and poo poo dragged it down.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
As a huge Real Herzog fan, I'm pretty annoyed by Tompkins' extremely mediocre impression. He gets the motivations down pretty excellently but his accent is just so generic and incorrect.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

As a huge Real Herzog fan, I'm pretty annoyed by Tompkins' extremely mediocre impression. He gets the motivations down pretty excellently but his accent is just so generic and incorrect.
I don't think accuracy is a high priority in PFT's impersonations. Some of them are pretty spot on (John C. Reilly) and some are more about getting comedy from the ridiculous persona than doing an accurate impression (ALW, Lithgow, Herzog).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It was great when they snuck a game of Dueling Stewarts in there.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

scary ghost dog posted:

Also, Herzog has acted before.

Duelling Jimmy Stewarts just about killed me.

It seems like they're doing less games now, just WYR. I miss stuff like Jukebox Jury and Who Said It.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I got a really bad look from an old lady on the bus when the "white flour" lane came up :ohdear:.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

scary ghost dog posted:

This is a ridiculous thing to get annoyed about!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah, it was at "perfectly pleasant if not anything exceptional" for me up to Dueling Stewarts, but that was wonderful.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Greggy posted:

This is a ridiculous thing to get annoyed about!
Well I'm just annoyed. I got over it after about three minutes

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I live a bit near an airport and sometimes when a plane flies over when I'm listening to CBB I do my own Takin a Plane Break.

I kinda miss those segments.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does anyone enjoy the closing up the plug bag song? Unless he's gonna keep getting people to add to it I wish Scott'd drop it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does anyone enjoy the closing up the plug bag song? Unless he's gonna keep getting people to add to it I wish Scott'd drop it.

And let all those plugs escape? Ridiculous.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If something on the show is so dumb that it's kinda funny, you can bet he's gonna keep it around.

I have the same love for dumb humor that Aukerman does, so I think all that stuff is hilarious.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Conduit for Sale! posted:

If something on the show is so dumb that it's kinda funny, you can bet he's gonna keep it around.

I have the same love for dumb humor that Aukerman does, so I think all that stuff is hilarious.

I even love how inconsistent he is about WYR. He just gave up on the rules during one of the double-episode weeks but after that he started caring again. Give us some consistency Saucerman :argh:.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Reaching, as always, is a double edged sword.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah, I love this kind of stuff. This, and the Ray Romano stuff from way back. You can even throw the my wife stuff in there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I liked Ben Schwartz's plug bag sound than the Closing Up the Plug Bag song.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm honestly a bit surprised to learn that anyone doesn't. It's Ken Marino!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The best moments are when you know someone is going to jump on someone else, but it hasn't happened yet.

When Werner Herzog asked about solving crimes I knew Scott was going to pick it up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm honestly a bit surprised to learn that anyone doesn't. It's Ken Marino!

along with Deanna Russo but she never gets credit

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Speaking of Burning Love, the cast for Season 2 (men this time) will definitely be of interest to CBB fans http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/12/03/burning-love-ken-marino-seasons-2-and-3-exclusive/

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

GraPar posted:

Speaking of Burning Love, the cast for Season 2 (men this time) will definitely be of interest to CBB fans http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/12/03/burning-love-ken-marino-seasons-2-and-3-exclusive/

drat, that's a killer cast. Why isn't Janet Varney there though :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
So it sucks because I'm dead now because dueling Stewarts literally killed me.