Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

amaranthine posted:

This sort of ties into the most baffling thing for me about the Wii U - why doesn't it play DVDs or Blu-Rays? My PS3 gets so much usage out of being my single media player (and it's enormously convenient since it plays just about everything) that I can't imagine buying a console that doesn't do the same. And I can't afford two.

This was an issue with the Wii as well. If I recall correctly, there's a licensing fee you need to pay to play optical media based movie and TV shows. Nintendo decided not to pay that so there's no DVD support in the Wii. Homebrew was able to get it working though.

For the WiiU, are the discs/optical player even in Blu-Ray format? I know they're high capacity but I thought they were a different format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Gutcruncher posted:

Nintendo wanting to cheap out on licensing DVD or Blu Ray formats (or music CD in that case). To be fair though, most people have shitloads of devices that play DVDs already.

It's more the Blu-Ray thing for me - DVDs are dying off pretty quickly. I guess maybe it's not as much of a priority for their target market, because it seems to me to be a really weird thing to skimp on.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Let's see if they do that again. I have a hard time believing that they're going to capture as large a share of the market as they did with the Wii.

It's generally a safe bet to anticipate you won't outdo a sales record in a successive attempt without a ton of effort and a strong marketing push, yes, especially while your old version continues to be marketed and sold.

It's also safe to bet the margin for change will turn out roughly +/- 50% over the previous release if we're talking gaming devices. Making that volume bet could have won you quite a lot of money across every brand until the Wii and DS happened, actually.

Since the Wii and DS were incredibly clear outliers in the history of video gaming electronics, followed by worldwide recession, you'd have to be a madman to expect equivalent gains or growth for the follow-on. Although the 3DS ended up outshooting the DS in terms of first year sales so who loving knows, Nintendo are a bunch of old Japanese wizards or something.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xavier434 posted:

I definitely don't claim to be an expert and you are correct that I was not trying to sucker punch Sony in the name of console warriors. I added that content because I found it interesting and another made a claim without much of any source so I thought it might be considered useful to add on to.

Your comment regarding their gaming division alone sparked my interest though. I just found this: Sony PlayStation division suffers full-year $2.8bn loss

It still weird to see that article and still know from other sources that it' still one of the best divisions at Sony financially speaking. Jesus christ Sony get it together.

I'm like you as I eventually grab all consoles anyway as it ultimately comes down to games for me.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Chronojam posted:

It's generally a safe bet to anticipate you won't outdo a sales record in a successive attempt without a ton of effort and a strong marketing push, yes, especially while your old version continues to be marketed and sold.

It's also safe to bet the margin for change will turn out roughly +/- 50% over the previous release if we're talking gaming devices. Making that volume bet could have won you quite a lot of money across every brand until the Wii and DS happened, actually.

Since the Wii and DS were incredibly clear outliers in the history of video gaming electronics, followed by worldwide recession, you'd have to be a madman to expect equivalent gains or growth for the follow-on. Although the 3DS ended up outshooting the DS in terms of first year sales so who loving knows, Nintendo are a bunch of old Japanese wizards or something.

Fair enough, but I'm mainly talking about them outselling their competitors this time around, going forward.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zomodok posted:

It still weird to see that article and still know from other sources that it' still one of the best divisions at Sony financially speaking. Jesus christ Sony get it together.

Most Japanese companies are doing badly lately.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Got my Wii U Premium a day early, but there's no Nintendo Land inside. Googled it and found one article from today suggesting that it's an Amazon UK issue, though it's not clear what went wrong yet.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

amaranthine posted:

This sort of ties into the most baffling thing for me about the Wii U - why doesn't it play DVDs or Blu-Rays? My PS3 gets so much usage out of being my single media player (and it's enormously convenient since it plays just about everything) that I can't imagine buying a console that doesn't do the same. And I can't afford two.

The same reason the Wii U doesn't output Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. Cheaping out.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

hitze posted:

The same reason the Wii U doesn't output Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. Cheaping out.

The Wii in 2006 - "Pssshhh no HDMI output? WTF Nintendo!"

6 years later

The Wii U in 2012 - "You mean I need to buy an HDMI capable receiver to get digital surround? WTF Nintendo!"

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's almost as if there is more than one standard for delivering high quality audio and video.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Legdiian posted:

The Wii in 2006 - "Pssshhh no HDMI output? WTF Nintendo!"

6 years later

The Wii U in 2012 - "You mean I need to buy an HDMI capable receiver to get digital surround? WTF Nintendo!"

People want choices and aren't impressed by HDMI six years later? WELL I NEVER.

Seriously, do you work for Nintendo, be honest.

...Reggie? :ohdear:.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Shopto.net got mine to me a day before UK launch :dance: Just got it set up and spent the evening messing around with it. Two observations so far:

1) NSMBU is pretty fun, I skipped all the other NSMB games so this is basically like being a kid and playing Super Mario World again

2) The posts in Funky Barn's Miiverse section are goddamn hilarious

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rake Arms posted:

I've been wondering for a while why they don't stream Nintendo Direct and other keynotes straight to their platforms.

They upload the videos to the 3DS eShop (and probably the Nintendo Channel on Wii but who watches that thing) immediately after the stream, along with extended trailers and demos and whatever. Apparently it's been an extremely effective sales technique in Japan.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have skipped several pages of cpu/tech talk so I apologize if this had been answered. Will I get Nintendo points if I buy Black Ops? I am saving for that sweet gold nunchuck hoping that it comes back in stock so sadly this will probably be the deciding factor on whether I buy it or not this weekend.

Follow up question, do I receive Nintendo points on any item I buy from the eShop? If so I may pick up NBA 2K13 instead.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

loudog999 posted:

I have skipped several pages of cpu/tech talk so I apologize if this had been answered. Will I get Nintendo points if I buy Black Ops? I am saving for that sweet gold nunchuck hoping that it comes back in stock so sadly this will probably be the deciding factor on whether I buy it or not this weekend.

Follow up question, do I receive Nintendo points on any item I buy from the eShop? If so I may pick up NBA 2K13 instead.

No and Yes, respectively. https://club.nintendo.com/eligible-products.do

The quick summary is that if Nintendo didn't publish it, there are no coins included with Wii U titles. But everything available in the eShop is worth coins.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

:words: about the PPC 970
Bit off about the 970 and its relation to 360/PS3 (Cell's PPE). From what I recall, while they're based on the 970 (aka "G5" for the Mac users), they're stripped down to hell. So basically they took a design that was already a bit slower per clock and made it much worse, but as a result were able to clock it up like crazy. (Side note: it's been rumored that IBM pitched these at Apple as a half assed way to keep them as a customer, cause it's not like Apple had any other PPC vendor options...of course no one knew the whole secret OS X x86 project at that point).

flyboi posted:

On top of this it isn't economically possible for Sony/Microsoft to use anything past the 970 series as there really isn't anything in power yet commercially available. The only thing they can do is adopt technologies from the supercomputing-end of power like what Nintendo did. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox/Playstation just have more smaller 970 cores and a beefier gpu to make up for the lack of innovation in the power series.
IBM has lots of lower power designs...any one of which I would've expected for Wii U instead of another Gekko bump :v:. The others have been rumored to switch to low power AMD cores actually, but I imagine they'll generally be faster (barring really optimized code) considering how bad Xenon/Cell are.

Anyway a little more from that hacker dude:

quote:

So yes, the Wii U CPU is nothing to write home about, but don't compare it clock per clock with a 360 and claim it's much worse. It isn't.
And some stuff he retweeted re: hacking:

quote:

PSA: if the Wii U detects a pending system update, it will DISABLE Wii mode if you are connected to the internet, even if it used to work.

In other words, Nintendo can disable Wii mode exploits at any time, if you are connected to the Internet at all, even if you don't update.
It'll be interesting how this turns out considering the key appears to be the Wii compatibility in the first place, and how much they've been able to lock down the 3DS.

axeil posted:

This was an issue with the Wii as well. If I recall correctly, there's a licensing fee you need to pay to play optical media based movie and TV shows. Nintendo decided not to pay that so there's no DVD support in the Wii. Homebrew was able to get it working though.

For the WiiU, are the discs/optical player even in Blu-Ray format? I know they're high capacity but I thought they were a different format.
They're likely BDs or else they'd need some wacky custom drive that'd cost more, if there is anything special about them it's probably just some firmware restriction. And other than cheaping out I guess it's just the assumption that more people would use whatever streaming services more than they'd use discs.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Target has Scribblenauts Unlimited on sale in store for $39.99. I believe it's national but you may want to call your local store before you drive out. Seems like a good deal to me.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Being able to open the web browser while in a game and have it immediately offer to do a google search for that game is pretty cool. But it'd be even better if I could configure that to be a gamefaqs search instead. Get on that, Nintendo!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

People want choices and aren't impressed by HDMI six years later? WELL I NEVER.

...Reggie? :ohdear:.

I don't work for Nintendo. I am an AV integrator so maybe that's why I find it funny that people are complaining about not having precious optical outputs on their gaming system. Should they have slapped on a BNC connector for your network too?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hate that I have to use optical on my 360 while I only need to use HDMI for my PS3. Optical is going away.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I am surprised by anyone not hooking up everything by HDMI at this point v:shobon:v

I run everything through a receiver with a ton of HDMI inputs (not just pass through) and it makes everything so nice. I got so tired of optical cables popping out all the time.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

GreenNight posted:

I hate that I have to use optical on my 360 while I only need to use HDMI for my PS3. Optical is going away.

Why don't you just hook up your 360 with HDMI?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Legdiian posted:

I don't work for Nintendo. I am an AV integrator so maybe that's why I find it funny that people are complaining about not having precious optical outputs on their gaming system. Should they have slapped on a BNC connector for your network too?

Where's my S Video?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

hitze posted:

Why don't you just hook up your 360 with HDMI?

Not all 360s have HDMI. Mine, for instance.

Edit: At least I assume that's why.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Where's my S Video?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the real issue here is why I can't order food from my Wii or WiiU like you can in Japan? What the hell, Nintendo? I wanna be the ultimate useless piece of poo poo when I play my video games :argh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Off topic but my 360 is hooked up through HDMI but I forget why, but for some reason I also have a jacked 360 connector hooked up and am using the optical.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gendo posted:

Target has Scribblenauts Unlimited on sale in store for $39.99. I believe it's national but you may want to call your local store before you drive out. Seems like a good deal to me.

That's still paying ten extra dollars for some Nintendo characters you can make yourself (and people have made on the steam workshop).

I'm sorry, it's a neat little game, but it has no business being 60$ on the Wii U while it's $29.99 on Steam and the only difference is a bit of Nintendo content.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

I work from home. Getting away from my PC for leisure time is worth the $10. :)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
For anyone who is getting weird connection issues when they play the F Zero racing game in NintendoLand, I think I found a fix.

Remember when the iPhone 4 came out and if you held it a certain way, it would cut out reception because the antennae was being covered up? I tried holding the gamepad with "less" of my hand, and I stopped getting issues completely. I'm not really sure how else to describe it. I hold the screen vertically with the think part on the left, so I moved my hand a bit so I wasn't gripping with my left hand quite so much. No issues since then.

Of course this might all be BS so your mileage may vary

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's still paying ten extra dollars for some Nintendo characters you can make yourself (and people have made on the steam workshop).

I'm sorry, it's a neat little game, but it has no business being 60$ on the Wii U while it's $29.99 on Steam and the only difference is a bit of Nintendo content.

I'll agree that $60 is outrageous but $10 more is not that bad considering it's a console game vs PC. PC games are cheaper because of both piracy and in general there isn't a used market (and on Steam there can't be a used market), but new console games are never discounted anywhere near as cheaply as their PC counterparts.

But if there is a PC to play it on, for half the price that is definitely the version to get.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

netBuff posted:

There's bound to be people with bad taste.
Should I be surprised that the only people making GBS threads on NSMBU and Nintendo Land are people who havent played them? Seriously, they're great. NSMB2 was mediocre, but U is fantastic. I'm still playing through all the challenge levels (with bonus powerups!!!).

I can only speak for myself and not everyone. I've never liked Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. I consider myself a pretty harsh consumer. But I really enjoy these two games, a lot.

I personally don't care that the brand names are the same. COD, Battlefield, and MOH are all different brands but they all look like the same game to me. For the most part the industry is all engaged in copying and pasting past games and renaming them. It all comes down to which Same Game You've Always Played you enjoy playing.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Where's my S Video?

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gendo posted:

I am surprised by anyone not hooking up everything by HDMI at this point v:shobon:v

I run everything through a receiver with a ton of HDMI inputs (not just pass through) and it makes everything so nice. I got so tired of optical cables popping out all the time.

The main problem is that headphone users are left out in the cold, as there are no (virtual) surround heapdhones with HDMI input (AV receivers with Dolby Headphone/Silent Cinema are often not capable of driving high-impedance phones). Add to that the fact that AV receivers add additional input lag to the signal.

The lack of DD/DTS support (in addition to not having a Toslink port) on the Wii U means the consoles media streaming capabilities are severely restricted: That's why people are complaining about bad sound with Amazon Video and Netflix on the Wii U. It's also why optical ports on AV receivers can't be used to connect a surround capable headphone system when this console is involved.

The lack of full range HDMI signal support is also pretty unforgivable, but something Nintendo will probably patch in later.

Legdiian posted:

I don't think it's a problem for regular game use, but media streaming with surround and high-end headphone use are pretty much out with the Wii U.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 30, 2012

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

NSMBU is legitimately a great game. I don't have a single complaint about it. I would have liked to see some fresh music but I've been away from Mario games so long it's fine for me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

You know, people would be less inclined to write you off as an anti-Nintendo troll if you didn't say things like this.

But no, it's okay, you're buying a Wii-U so that's license to whine and be angry anyone would reply with common sense.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I think the real issue here is why I can't order food from my Wii or WiiU like you can in Japan? What the hell, Nintendo? I wanna be the ultimate useless piece of poo poo when I play my video games :argh:

What the gently caress. I didn't know I needed this before now.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

I didn't know surround headphones were a thing.

I don't think I'd like to hang out with someone who has surround headphones.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Can any AU folks that have it set up tell me the download pricing for games compared to in store games. If there the same, I'll put my Zombie U reorder towards the console and just download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Glimm posted:

What the gently caress. I didn't know I needed this before now.

Well you can probably order using the web browser if the site isn't flash based.

• Locked thread