Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kbar
Aug 9, 2002

On Terra Firma posted:

I just got my Razr Hd
why would anyone do this

On Terra Firma posted:

Should have gone for the Maxx
yes

Dr Blah PhD posted:

You know, the only reason I want to upgrade my thunderbolt is because I have an unlimited data plan I can keep, and the thunderbolt wont allow mobile hotspotting with any third party app.
I can't believe you've been putting up with a Thunderbolt for this long -- especially considering how cheap something like a even Galaxy Nexus w/ extended battery or O.G. RAZR Maxx would be secondhand.

The RAZR M is said to be very good, provided you don't care about continuous updates or community support. I actually just picked up a Galaxy S3 at the (wildly delayed) behest of generally-reasonable forums poster ExcessBLarg! for $350 cash on craigslist, and so far I'm extremely pleased. I added a grippy case to improve the thickness and mask perceived flimsiness (it's actually quite durable), and it sorta seems like the best phone on Verizon right now. The battery hasn't been a problem yet, but admittedly I'd feel better about having 3,300 mAh along with the Snapdragon/Krait setup.

Really enjoying the support, though. AOKP runs beautifully. LTE tethering works great with FoxFi in the lovely stock ROM and with the built-in mode in the good ROMs.

Filthy Monkey posted:

A 3300 mah battery like this is what phones should be shipping with.
100% this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I went with the HD because I absolutely hate cases that don't have cutouts for the buttons and nobody made any decent cases for the Maxx that I liked. It's a stupid reason to some, but it really annoyed me. The HD also has really good battery life as it is, and while the 3300 would have been nice, I don't think it's going to effect me all that much in the long run.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin

XarsonX posted:

I think it's going to be hard to keep your data plan unless you pay full price for a phone.

I have a dumbphone on my account that the verizon guys are gonna upgrade, basically that line gets an upgrade, but they switch numbers so the phone goes to me. So, this also means I cant use any online discounts unfortunately.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Thanks guys, I just could not find any way to not select a Share Everything plan on-line, but was able to go to a Verizon store and get a new phone with tiered data plan in less than 30 minutes.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

On Terra Firma posted:

Razr HD is 150 on amazon and I think the Maxx is 180. I got the HD and I love it so far.

Yeah $175 or so for the Maxx, which is my #1 choice right now.

i just have to ask the required questions (that have probably been asked a dozen times already) which is that I've got unlimited data and want to keep it of course. My wife and I are on a family plan and both have upgrades. I'd like to do the usual deal of buying the Maxx HD on her line through Amazon Wireless with the 2 year upgrade, then transfer it to my line. I then get to keep my unlimited data.

Then she can use the standard "alternate line upgrade" from my line, through a normal Verizon store, and get an IPhone 5 for herself. Cause there's no really any major online discounts for the iPhone 5, right? She has a feature phone now so there's no data plan to worry about losing.

Is there an issue with doing this trick on amazon wireless compared to how I know it works at a normal Verizon corporate store?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Endor posted:

Yeah $175 or so for the Maxx, which is my #1 choice right now.

i just have to ask the required questions (that have probably been asked a dozen times already) which is that I've got unlimited data and want to keep it of course. My wife and I are on a family plan and both have upgrades. I'd like to do the usual deal of buying the Maxx HD on her line through Amazon Wireless with the 2 year upgrade, then transfer it to my line. I then get to keep my unlimited data.

Then she can use the standard "alternate line upgrade" from my line, through a normal Verizon store, and get an IPhone 5 for herself. Cause there's no really any major online discounts for the iPhone 5, right? She has a feature phone now so there's no data plan to worry about losing.

Is there an issue with doing this trick on amazon wireless compared to how I know it works at a normal Verizon corporate store?

I wanted to keep mine and there were no options on Amazon to retain it. Either you swap to a shared plan or do something in store and pay the extra money.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

On Terra Firma posted:

I wanted to keep mine and there were no options on Amazon to retain it. Either you swap to a shared plan or do something in store and pay the extra money.

I understand that there's no options on Amazon Wireless to retain the unlimited data. The idea is to do a standard line upgrade on my wife's line through Amazon Wireless to get the Razr Maxx HD, and she upgrades from her $10 dumbphone plan to a 2 GB tiered data plan.

Then I take the phone to a Verizon corporate store and ask them to transfer it to my line, and activate my Thunderbolt on her line so it stays with the same smartphone plan. Once that's done, we use my alternate-line upgrade the next day (or whenever) to get her a iPhone 5 at a regular Verizon store.

The only reason I can see that this wouldn't work is if there's some Amazon voodoo that prevents me from switching a phone from one line to another, if that somehow counts as "cancelling".

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So how are the VZW Note 2s working for those who got them? Any weirdness specific to them?

The only thing I could suss out that appears to be real from reading around was that Multi Window is missing a bunch of apps that the other versions have (gmail and Youtube notably). Even VZs picture of that feature doesn't show them.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
You wont see much feedback on the note just yet, most people didn't get them until yesterday.

We just got them in my stores yesterday as well. Sold one right as it came off the truck.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So... can I not rely on Verizon's usage alerts at all? I got my bill from last month and I had $90 in data overages (used 7 gigs compared to 2 gigs on my plan). I have e-mail and text alerts set up and I didn't get any.

I was able to get them waived by calling Verizon and complaining.

edit: I was looking at my usage from last month and most of it was times I should have been on wifi (at work/home). Weird.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 30, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

edit: I was looking at my usage from last month and most of it was times I should have been on wifi (at work/home). Weird.
I'm guessing you have an iPhone? This was a known bug, but I thought it had been fixed by now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm guessing you have an iPhone? This was a known bug, but I thought it had been fixed by now.

Yes I do, I'm aware of the bug but I also thought it was fixed too. Some of the usage is 600+ megs at a time, I can't even think of what I'd download over LTE that is that much data.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

cuedotcom posted:

Hows battery life?

I don't even know what this means but it seemed really good to me yesterday. I used the phone pretty much non-stop from 3PM - 10PM and the battery only hit about 15% at that point.

Overall, I really like the phone so far. I wish more cases were available already, but I'm pretty careful with my phones so I should be ok until the case I bought on ebay shows up. Coming from a Sprint Galaxy S3, its not a big change for me, but the size difference absolutely is noticeable and slightly uncomfortable at first to hold. I'm sure that'll change, though, and is just because its so new.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I checked the FAQ and the OP and I did try to find a comprehensive answer on VZW's site without luck - my contract date ends 12/9, but my billing cycle ends on 12/25. Is Verizon like some other companies in that they charge for the entire billing cycle if you cancel service before then? I'm going to be porting my number over as soon as I can, but I don't want to pay for ~2 weeks of service with them that I'm not using. Would it be best to port on 12/21-12/22 instead of once my contract expires?

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Ariza posted:

I checked the FAQ and the OP and I did try to find a comprehensive answer on VZW's site without luck - my contract date ends 12/9, but my billing cycle ends on 12/25. Is Verizon like some other companies in that they charge for the entire billing cycle if you cancel service before then? I'm going to be porting my number over as soon as I can, but I don't want to pay for ~2 weeks of service with them that I'm not using. Would it be best to port on 12/21-12/22 instead of once my contract expires?

They are pretty good at pro-rating in my experience. I have cancelled stuff mid month and been re-compensated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon has approved the HD and HD MAXX JB upgrade. Rollout to start next week.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/30/verizon-approves-jelly-bean-update-for-droid-razr-hd-and-maxx-hd-as-build-9-1-41/

Very odd as the soak test hasn't started yet, maybe it will tonight.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Endor posted:

Then I take the phone to a Verizon corporate store and ask them to transfer it to my line, and activate my Thunderbolt on her line so it stays with the same smartphone plan. Once that's done, we use my alternate-line upgrade the next day (or whenever) to get her a iPhone 5 at a regular Verizon store.

I don't think this works. Using an upgrade from a line renews the contract on that line even on an alternate-line upgrade, which will then invalidate your unlimited data plan. There isn't a way for both of you to upgrade and also keep unlimited data. The only way to keep unlimited data and get upgrade pricing is to add a line and activate the dumbphone on that; the upgrade on your line is forever unusable if you want to keep unlimited data.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/30/verizon-approves-jelly-bean-update-for-droid-razr-hd-and-maxx-hd-as-build-9-1-41/

I was poking around on the motorola forums and they made it sound like it had already started a while ago but no one is allowed to talk about it. So it might have been completed already.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

XarsonX posted:

I was poking around on the motorola forums and they made it sound like it had already started a while ago but no one is allowed to talk about it. So it might have been completed already.

I can assure you this is not the case.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

parasyte posted:

I don't think this works. Using an upgrade from a line renews the contract on that line even on an alternate-line upgrade, which will then invalidate your unlimited data plan. There isn't a way for both of you to upgrade and also keep unlimited data. The only way to keep unlimited data and get upgrade pricing is to add a line and activate the dumbphone on that; the upgrade on your line is forever unusable if you want to keep unlimited data.

Well that might not be a problem because we actually have a total of 4 people on our family plan, and right now I'm the only one with a smartphone, the other 3 have dumbphones. So we can use person #3's available upgrade instead of my smartphone's upgrade, and just leave my line's upgrade sitting unused for the forseeable future.

And I'm considering calling Amazon Wireless's support line just to be sure, but the main thing I'm still trying to figure out is whether transferring an Amazon-purchased upgrade phone and changing it between lines on a family plan will invoke some kind of termination fee from Amazon.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Okay, I made my decision. I think I'm gonna grab the razr m, which seems to be a great mid range phone. CPU is a dual core, battery life is good, no complaints on the camera and the size it preferable as opposed to the GS3. So 2 questions now

-Can it support 64 gig micro sd cards?
-Can third party wireless tethering apps be used on it?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Okay, I made my decision. I think I'm gonna grab the razr m, which seems to be a great mid range phone. CPU is a dual core, battery life is good, no complaints on the camera and the size it preferable as opposed to the GS3. So 2 questions now

-Can it support 64 gig micro sd cards?
-Can third party wireless tethering apps be used on it?

Yes to the first one, and I'm sure if you root it yes to the second one as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

So how are the VZW Note 2s working for those who got them? Any weirdness specific to them?

The only thing I could suss out that appears to be real from reading around was that Multi Window is missing a bunch of apps that the other versions have (gmail and Youtube notably). Even VZs picture of that feature doesn't show them.

Honestly, it doesn't seem all that fast compared to my Gnex. I mean, it still redraws my homepage almost every time I go back to it and flipping between apps doesn't seem that much quicker. However, the screen is gorgeous, battery life is as awesome as expected and I get a hell of a lot better reception for wifi and 4G.

Going to charge it to full tonight then see how long I can leave it off the charger, pretty happy to finally have my hands on one.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yay! Dropped my phone like 2 feet and the screen cracked! Would you wait 3 months til the upgrade or drop 100 on insurance and get a new one (stratosphere) and sell it once the upgrade rolls around?

The screen works fine and the cracks are very visible but actually not hard to ignore. I'm only worried about cutting myself on the one corner where the cracks are more densely packed. Agh I don't know whether to wait it out till my upgrade in march or put my insurance to use. What ould you do?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Yay! Dropped my phone like 2 feet and the screen cracked! Would you wait 3 months til the upgrade or drop 100 on insurance and get a new one (stratosphere) and sell it once the upgrade rolls around?

The screen works fine and the cracks are very visible but actually not hard to ignore. I'm only worried about cutting myself on the one corner where the cracks are more densely packed. Agh I don't know whether to wait it out till my upgrade in march or put my insurance to use. What ould you do?

I thought someone here had recommended taping the screen together or using a screen protector to keep it from coming out or having issues with your finger catching a jagged edge.

My opinion, wait till the upgrade. The Stratosphere is a cheap phone to begin with and any money saved should instead go towards a better phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/vanquish/list.php

I am not inclined to install this and will just wait for the OTA, but the build name and file size match the information given.

Shinju
Aug 21, 2006
Just received my new Samsung Galaxy S3 from the Black Friday sale at Costco and when I called to activate it, Verizon informed me that they would have to take me off Unlimited Data. When I renewed the contract for another 2 years in order to even purchase the phone, the details of the contract specify Unlimited Data. I can check my account right now, and it says the End Date of the contract is in 2014. Changing the privileges of the plan mid-contract against my will is loving illegal isn't it?

How can I make use of my S3 without giving up Unlimited Data or paying through the nose for a high cap? Can I simply cut the large SIM card from my old Droid 2 down to microSIM size and insert that into my S3? Will that get around activation? Please advise goons, this whole experience is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Shinju posted:

Just received my new Samsung Galaxy S3 from the Black Friday sale at Costco and when I called to activate it, Verizon informed me that they would have to take me off Unlimited Data. When I renewed the contract for another 2 years in order to even purchase the phone, the details of the contract specify Unlimited Data. I can check my account right now, and it says the End Date of the contract is in 2014. Changing the privileges of the plan mid-contract against my will is loving illegal isn't it?

How can I make use of my S3 without giving up Unlimited Data or paying through the nose for a high cap? Can I simply cut the large SIM card from my old Droid 2 down to microSIM size and insert that into my S3? Will that get around activation? Please advise goons, this whole experience is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

I'm pretty sure the SIM from a Droid 2 is only used for international roaming and won't activate a phone just by trimming it down and swapping it out. Back in June, Verizon switched over to the new Share Everything plans and, with that, killed unlimited data for upgrades. The only way to keep unlimited at this point is to pay full price for the phone ($600+) to keep it.

Shinju
Aug 21, 2006
That is not what I wanted to hear. :(

Edit: After doing some internet research, it seems there are roundabout methods of keeping unlimited data by activating the new smartphone on a basic plan without a data plan component, and signing up for one briefly. Then reactivating the old dumb phone which cancels the data component, kicks the smart phone off and turns it into an independent phone you might as well have bought after market, with no upgrade status attached to it. Anyone have experience with that?

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did you buy the phone full price because that should allow you to keep your previous contract and the unlimited data.

And I mean "not with contract" but if whatever the Black Friday deal was with a contract then you are kinda boned.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zomodok posted:

Did you buy the phone full price because that should allow you to keep your previous contract and the unlimited data.

And I mean "not with contract" but if whatever the Black Friday deal was with a contract then you are kinda boned.

I'm sure that Black Friday deal required using your subsidy. He's mentioned the only way around it. You can't use your subsidy and keep unlimited data. The workaround involves using another line's subsidy, swapping phones around and then dropping the data plan.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
So I got my Maxx HD and love it....almost. when I play music it crackles. This is with both headphones and without. I'm still in the 14 day period. Am I going to have any trouble getting a new one to replace it with from Verizon?

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Athenry posted:

I'm sure that Black Friday deal required using your subsidy. He's mentioned the only way around it. You can't use your subsidy and keep unlimited data. The workaround involves using another line's subsidy, swapping phones around and then dropping the data plan.

And once it is gone, it is gone forever, even if you don't keep the phone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cbear posted:

So I got my Maxx HD and love it....almost. when I play music it crackles. This is with both headphones and without. I'm still in the 14 day period. Am I going to have any trouble getting a new one to replace it with from Verizon?

No. Call them and say you've a factory reset and the problem still persists.

Red has replaced phones for me for far less.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My contract is going to be up in about 3 months, and I'm looking to get rid of my Droid X2. I hate this phone so much. Is anything new and amazing expected to come out around March? Anything except an iPhone (I use them every day at work and can't stand them). As much as I don't want to get rid of my unlimited plan, I have a hard time stomaching paying $600+ for a phone. :(

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 2, 2012

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Super Dude posted:

My contract is going to be up in about 3 months, and I'm looking to get rid of my Droid X2. I hate this phone so much. Is anything new and amazing expected to come out around March? Anything except an iPhone (I use them every day at work and can't stand them). As much as I don't want to get rid of my unlimited plan, I have a hard time stomaching paying $600+ for a phone. :(

Probably. CES is January 8-11 and I'm pretty sure all the phone manufacturers at least have an exhibit, Verizon also has some presence http://ces13.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=T0008202

In March, a big wireless event comes around and you should see all kinds of neat stuff. http://www.ctiawireless.com/

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Shinju posted:

Return phone unactivated to Costco to save your unlimited data. Make other arrangements that don't involve 2 year contract pricing for your phone number.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

XarsonX posted:

Probably. CES is January 8-11 and I'm pretty sure all the phone manufacturers at least have an exhibit, Verizon also has some presence http://ces13.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=T0008202

In March, a big wireless event comes around and you should see all kinds of neat stuff. http://www.ctiawireless.com/

I don't suppose they give any sort of hard release dates on items they show there? Maybe I'll buy a used S3 or something to hold me over until those phones come out later in the year.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Super Dude posted:

I don't suppose they give any sort of hard release dates on items they show there? Maybe I'll buy a used S3 or something to hold me over until those phones come out later in the year.

Good question... I don't really remember. If they reveal something cool enough I won't have a problem waiting.

The S4, if you are curious, probably won't be revealed during these events. I think they like to have their own presentation kind of like Apple revealing new iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Between the Galaxy S3 and Razr Maxx HD, which is the better phone (buying used)? I heard that the Razr has a lovely camera, but I hardly ever take pictures (maybe a dozen over the last 18 months).

What is the process for me moving from my X2 to one of those phones? All of my contacts/email/etc. is backed up with Google. Is it going to cause problems going from 3g to 4g?

• Locked thread