Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
God drat it Crucial. I have like 3000 SSD's that need to be updated now and half my field teams did not listen and tossed 010G on... Guess what happened a few days later? Drives no longer detect. $%#$%@#%^$%#&^#$^&#^$&!!!!!!

I'm sticking with Intel 520's now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alereon posted:

That's correct.
That's a good layout. I'd leave the harddrives on the SATA300 ports because they are barely capable of transferring faster than SATA150, so it would be good to leave the SATA600 port available in case you get a fast drive in the future. Having a harddrive on an (Intel) SATA600 port wouldn't hurt or affect anything though.

Actually, apparently the new HDDs are 6.0Gbp/s, now that I look...no idea if they can actually use that much I/O, or if they're bound by platter/head speed. These are the HDDs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

And the SSD I'm using is that SanDisk Extreme 240GB that was on sale on Monday that you linked. Either way, thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it.

Edit: VV That's what I figured, SATA wouldn't be the bottleneck. I actually have a second SSD (Kingston V100+ 96GB) NIB that I decided not to use, going to sell it cheap to a friend that's looking for a serious budget build right now. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! VV

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 30, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Actually, apparently the new HDDs are 6.0Gbp/s, now that I look...no idea if they can actually use that much I/O, or if they're bound by platter/head speed. These are the HDDs:

And the SSD I'm using is that SanDisk Extreme 240GB that was on sale on Monday that you linked. Either way, thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it.

Their SATA ASICs are 6.0Gb/s capable, but you're right, they probably aren't going to be pushing 500MB/s+.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shooting Blanks posted:

Those drives actually push a bit less than 200MB/sec, which is why there isn't a point to putting them on SATA600. I meant that it would be preferable to keep the second SATA600 port free in case you got another SSD in the future for some reason.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Alereon posted:

Are you sure your drive is connected to an Intel SATA port set to AHCI mode? If so, please post a Crystal Disk Info screenshot.
Not on an Intel port and I'm not certain of the AHCI status but here ya go.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Copper Vein posted:

Not on an Intel port and I'm not certain of the AHCI status but here ya go.
Move the drive to an Intel SATA600 port. Check to see if the SATA controller is in AHCI mode in the BIOS, if it's not enabled do this change then enable it. Then install the latest Chipset INF and Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 30, 2012

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got my SanDisk 240GB drive from the Newegg sale today and it runs like a champ. Only question is what I can/should do with the old Windows install on the old HDD. I could just leave it alone and deal with having a boot menu every time I restart but could I get rid of that safely without wiping the drive?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Republicans posted:

Got my SanDisk 240GB drive from the Newegg sale today and it runs like a champ. Only question is what I can/should do with the old Windows install on the old HDD. I could just leave it alone and deal with having a boot menu every time I restart but could I get rid of that safely without wiping the drive?

You could remove it from the boot order in your BIOS

e: but honestly you should probably wipe it... that OS is just taking up space. Unless you don't plan on using it and instead want to have it just in case the SSD fails or whatever.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do Nikon/Canon/Sony raw photos count as 'highly in-compressible data'? I deal with all 3 types but predominately Nikon. I know they are all compressed but how much, I dunno.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

Do Nikon/Canon/Sony raw photos count as 'highly in-compressible data'? I deal with all 3 types but predominately Nikon. I know they are all compressed but how much, I dunno.
Raw photos are typically not compressed, and are rather compressible.

Edit: Oops, my bad.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 30, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

Raw photos are typically not compressed, and are rather compressible.

I'm pretty sure they are typically losslessly compressed(data compression not image compression) for anything made in the last 6 years. I know for a fact shooting different images will result in raw files of different sizes.

Should I just zip/7zip a few and see how much of a difference it makes?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 30, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm pretty sure they are typically losslessly compressed(data compression not image compression) for anything made in the last 6 years. I know for a fact shooting different images will result in raw files of different sizes.
Correct. You're not going to see much gain in trying to compress a RAW. Which isn't to say you shouldn't put them on a SSD--you're just not going to get the 500MB/s+ "super-compressable data" numbers from SandForce controllers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't really need an SSD right now so should I be waiting for anything on the near horizon? Say 3-6 months?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't really need an SSD right now so should I be waiting for anything on the near horizon? Say 3-6 months?

From what I've seen so far, we've hit a small price floor, as for several months now the prices have barely budged. (months ago I bought a Samsung 830 256GB, same price now)

If you spot a good deal on a recommended drive, I'd go for it.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere: I have a Lenovo T530 which came with a 500GB spinning disk. I want to replace it with an SSD, but I'm not sure if what I can buy will fit. Are all SSD's (including for-desktop SSD's such as the Samsung 830) going to fit?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TreFitty posted:

I haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere: I have a Lenovo T530 which came with a 500GB spinning disk. I want to replace it with an SSD, but I'm not sure if what I can buy will fit. Are all SSD's (including for-desktop SSD's such as the Samsung 830) going to fit?

The Samsung 830 is actually exceptionally thin, and not a "for-desktop" SSD as described, at 7mm.
If your laptop has space for a 2.5" HDD, it's almost certainly going to take a 7mm thick SSD. (Yes, drives are like tyres, one dimension in Imperial, one in Metric!) One very simple way to find out the thickness of you drive: identify your drive model and look it up, or I guess, just measure it.
Thankfully, in terms of SATA, the desktop and laptop connectors (for 2.5" drives, in the main, excepting exceptionally thin drives) are the same, and the connectors are always at the base of the drive, so the height doesn't affect the position of the connector.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 30, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Aren't all SSDs capable of less-than-7mm if you remove the bottom plate/entire case.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Aren't all SSDs capable of less-than-7mm if you remove the bottom plate/entire case.

Also removes the warranty

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Also removes the warranty

Do most of them have tamper stickers? Is there really any statistical reason to worry about needing a warranty on an SSD?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Do most of them have tamper stickers? Is there really any statistical reason to worry about needing a warranty on an SSD?

Intel's don't have a sticker that splits when you remove the case / otherwise take it apart. SSD warranties are a good thing to have; yeah, most are firmware bugs, but hardware failures do occur every now and then.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Myself, among many other lurkers are occasionally peeking into this thread to see what the guinea pigs are up to.

From the perspective of someone who also would like an SSD eventually, but doesn't need one now, I still have the feeling that the technology still has some room for improvement. Just seeing how far SSD's have come in the last year still makes me excited to see what will be available a year from now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

<-- been in the SSD club for 2 years :colbert:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

movax posted:

I think I'm going to jump on a 840 Pro when they have a sale, I live dangerously. All my SSDs until recently were OCZ Vertex of every generation :getin:

I pre-ordered a 256 GB 840 Pro and have been using it since day 1 with no problems at all. Mine did ship with the fixed firmware, and I've been checking Samsung's website once a week for firmware updates in case they release new ones. This drive is ridonkulously fast and I've not had a single issue whatsoever.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

<-- been in the SSD club for 2 years :colbert:

I first got to play with an SSD setup around ~2008 or something.

The ones that would freak the gently caress out during an XP install, because they couldn't handle that many little writes or something.

I have a ThinkPad 560X (1995) rocking with 8GB of flash. It came with just a 4GB HDD, so upgrading to 8GB was nice.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

I pre-ordered a 256 GB 840 Pro and have been using it since day 1 with no problems at all. Mine did ship with the fixed firmware, and I've been checking Samsung's website once a week for firmware updates in case they release new ones. This drive is ridonkulously fast and I've not had a single issue whatsoever.

Where from / how much, if you don't mind my asking? Trying to decide what's a good price to jump on that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SSD arrived today, MacBook Pro is now running Mountain Lion from it.

Holy gently caress. If you're on the fence then just get one.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
My laptop had an unfortunate run in with some liquid that caused some strange issues. Thanks to Complete Care, Dell sent me out a replacement system that had some bonus hardware in it, including a Samsung PM810 128GB MSATA SSD that apparently is mine to keep.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize it, but I'm not having much luck finding any information about it. I also just picked up one of the Sandisk Extreme 256GB SSDs over Black Friday and I'm conflicted on what to do.

I have an ESXi whitebox at home that I play around with and 120GB would be a really good size for what I'd use (would just have to pick up a $10 adapter), but ESXi doesn't appear to support the trim command. Without being able to dig up any information about how the PM810 does garbage collection, I'm not sure this is the best option. It just seems really constricting size wise to use in the laptop if I threw the Sandisk in the ESXi box...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sell/trade it to someone who has a laptop with an mSATA slot.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Macronix, a ROM manufacturer, discovered a way to significantly increase the life span of NAND chips.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconduc...um+Full+Text%29

By heating the floating gate in a flash cell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Floating-gate_transistor) to 800C for a few microseconds (this is one of the NM features, they are not heating the entire chip), they discovered they can refresh the cell so it can be used again. There appears to be no limit to how many times this can be done as they tested the cells 100 million times with no sign that the cell was going out. As a bonus, they discovered the cells can be erased faster when heated.

This should give NAND flash some more life until they have to switch to a new technology. They have not yet said when a product will be released, although they are working on it. I'll just sit here and wait for their chips to be included in an SSD before I get one.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 30, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Yaos posted:

Macronix, a ROM manufacturer, discovered a way to significantly increase the life span of NAND chips.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconduc...um+Full+Text%29

By heating the floating gate in a flash cell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Floating-gate_transistor) to 800C for a few microseconds (this is one of the NM features, they are not heating the entire chip), they discovered they can refresh the cell so it can be used again. There appears to be no limit to how many times this can be done as they tested the cells 100 million times with no sign that the cell was going out. As a bonus, they discovered the cells can be erased faster when heated.

This should give NAND flash some more life until they have to switch to a new technology. They have not yet said when a product will be released, although they are working on it. I'll just sit here and wait for their chips to be included in an SSD before I get one.

OK. How real is this? They got this crazy idea to put their SSD into an Easy Bake Oven, and it worked better than they could even imagine?

Are there any other sources to this information? Going from "limited write" to "UNLIMITED writes" is a pretty big deal.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xenomorph posted:

OK. How real is this? They got this crazy idea to put their SSD into an Easy Bake Oven, and it worked better than they could even imagine?

Are there any other sources to this information? Going from "limited write" to "UNLIMITED writes" is a pretty big deal.

Pretty real.

That said, 800C is outside the range of what you'd be able to generate at home, and you wouldn't want to bake the whole drive (you'd destroy most of the PCB and desolder everything). This is something that needs to be build into the actual NAND hardware, and performed by the controller on a NAND-cell level. Probably not something that'll see the light of day in consumer hardware for half a decade or more.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Schpyder posted:

Probably not something that'll see the light of day in consumer hardware for half a decade or more.
Agreed. It's fascinating research, but would require a substantial redesign of chips and packaging to support. It also isn't really much of a concern for consumer-grade hardware, anyhow; even with today's limited write-cycle NAND there's basically no concern about anyone "wearing out" their SSD (the tri-cell 840 nonwithstanding).

A Samsung 830 256GB drive has a demonstrated useful life of about 850,000GiB written. So you could buy one now and write 465GiB to it a day, every single day, for the next 5 years before you hit the end of it. Which means that for a realistic consumer workload the 830 would easily still be working by the time this new tech came out (well, you'd have probably replaced the 830 by then for performance/space reasons, but you get the point).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 1, 2012

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

movax posted:

Where from / how much, if you don't mind my asking? Trying to decide what's a good price to jump on that.

I got it off of Newegg, they were running a pre-order special that was for $239.00. I haven't seen them that low since, I think $270 is the default price most places seem to list. The drive has been super stable, even in a moderately overclocked system. I have no regrets at all, I just wish I could have got a bigger one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DrDork posted:

Agreed. It's fascinating research, but would require a substantial redesign of chips and packaging to support. It also isn't really much of a concern for consumer-grade hardware, anyhow; even with today's limited write-cycle NAND there's basically no concern about anyone "wearing out" their SSD (the tri-cell 840 nonwithstanding).

A Samsung 830 256GB drive has a demonstrated useful life of about 850,000GiB written. So you could buy one now and write 465GiB to it a day, every single day, for the next 5 years before you hit the end of it. Which means that for a realistic consumer workload the 830 would easily still be working by the time this new tech came out (well, you'd have probably replaced the 830 by then for performance/space reasons, but you get the point).

It doesn't necessarily make sense for consumer drives, but for very high transaction rate OLTP arrays with tiered storage, it could be very valuable.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, no doubt. There certainly are high-performance server/DB applications that could blow through most current MLC drive's write endurance in a trivial amount of time. Just sayin' it doesn't make sense to hold off on buying a SSD for "normal" use until that tech is realized.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I don't think it's unfeasible to be able to handle that all internally while attached to a computer bus. I'm sort of picturing what a quick-solder gun already does to rapidly heat something, so perhaps it's not too much of a stretch for an even smaller object to be rapidly heated without drawing/demanding too much power/energy.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
I just got talked out of an OCZ SSD, so what would you dudes recommend? It's going into a thunderbolt caddy made by Seagate, apparently 480Gb loses power and shuts off from time to time.

I want a drive that will have enough (100Gb) scratch for Photoshop and to be my boot drive as well.
Samsung? Any reccomendations (especially for an iMac w/thunderbolt port?)?

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226237

The Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB listed up there is actually a 7mm and not a 70mm height, right?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

BastardAus posted:

I just got talked out of an OCZ SSD, so what would you dudes recommend? It's going into a thunderbolt caddy made by Seagate, apparently 480Gb loses power and shuts off from time to time.

I want a drive that will have enough (100Gb) scratch for Photoshop and to be my boot drive as well.
Samsung? Any reccomendations (especially for an iMac w/thunderbolt port?)?
Can you not install the drive internally? The performance and reliability penalty of going through a Thunderbolt enclosure should be avoided if at all possible. This is covered in the OP, but you probably want a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB for $164.99.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

Can you not install the drive internally? The performance and reliability penalty of going through a Thunderbolt enclosure should be avoided if at all possible. This is covered in the OP, but you probably want a Mushkin Enhances Chronos 240GB for $164.99.

Any caveats with the Mushkin Enhances Chronos 240GB? It looks pretty good for my needs! Is Mushkin on top of firmware updagtes? Should I even care about firmware updates?

• Locked thread