Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the only thing that makes that untenable is the hosed-up state of microsoft's compiler/toolchain/sdk distribution

nah just install visual studio and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

nothings as good as maven tho.

Yup, that's how you do releases. LMAO at the poo poo that is C++ dlls

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Hard NOP Life posted:

Yup, that's how you do releases. LMAO at the poo poo that is C++ dlls

maven 3 + osgi 4+ is the only way to fly

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i remember when i first learned javascript i was like "this is the best language ever and i will never need anything else."

14 years later i'm still right

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i remember when i first "learned" javascript over 10 years ago i was like "this is a loving garbage language holy poo poo lol"

then about 2 years ago i actually learned the language and hey, it's actually pretty neat when you avoid the poo poo parts

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Am I (Un)Hireable As A Coder?

quote:

I’ve been coding for about 16 years. Longer than that if you count from when I actually started when I was 8 years old and my dad brought home a brand new Commodore 64....

So What’s The Problem?

I have no idea what I’m doing! If you asked me to write an algorithm, or solve a logic problem, or explain something as simple as a nested array, I couldn’t do it. (ok I could probably describe a nested array, but only barely). I could use one, but I might not even know what it was when I was using it.

Really.

I can DO things, I can get things done; always…but I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Ever.

I can build software that’s happily used by millions of people, but I couldn’t describe how I did it, and if I looked at the code later – I probably couldn’t make heads or tails out of it without really studying it for a while (comments? who has time to bother commenting code!).

I’ve created unique and intricate php heavy, mysql powered websites with ease, but I’d probably utterly fail any type of formal interview where they asked me to write or explain code on the spot.

Teams? I’ve never worked with a team in my life. I’ve never mentored younger programmers, or even collaborated on anything with anyone…ever. I’ve always just done it all myself.

But I get things done.

I figure out what needs to be done in order to get something to work reasonably well, and if I can’t do it myself I google it till I find snippets of code that mostly do what I need, then I modify them and hack around till I get something that works decently enough.

Then I move on....

It’s been a good run, I’ve made a lot of money, but I think it’d be great to just sit down and code for 10 hours a day without a care in the world.

:suicide:

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

:psyduck: you're definitely unhirable if you'd rather write a blog post about how you don't know something instead of just buying a book and learning it.

also lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

thats why you ask what everyones favorite interview questions are and they go study before interviewing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
holy poo poo, that's what a C sounds like

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

It had me until "I never work with a team in my life"

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
whats "a lot of money"

also lol at doing ANYTHING for 16 years and not getting better at it

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
hes in my town too, theres tons of people around here that need warm bodies to do poo poo coding tasks, i think he could get a job at a small poo poo show shop

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Wheany posted:

i remember when i first "learned" javascript over 10 years ago i was like "this is a loving garbage language holy poo poo lol"

then about 2 years ago i actually learned the language and hey, it's actually pretty neat when you avoid the poo poo parts

How I feel about C++.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Tried to write a Go today. Manual error handling is annoying as hell.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

FamDav posted:

How I feel about C++.

C++ is great from start to finish, there is no better language

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that post is super sad

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

C++ is great from start to finish, there is no better language

C++ would be great if its name didn't encourage people to write C code in it.

EDIT: But it's actually p great soooo suck on it everybody else

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

https://www.touchdevelop.com/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

doesn't run on a touchpad, is worthless

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah i hate myself so much that I want to be coding constantly on the go

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Programming. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

Programming. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

It also gets a lot easier after you've wiped out most of humanity. drat fleshy meatbags messing up my perfect code.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
go away dont post here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shameproof posted:

[...] I can get a date object representing 10PM on the first Tuesday after August 10 2012 by passing the string "10PM on the first Tuesday after August 10 2012." [...]

congratulations cocoa's natural language date parsing is as good as perl circa 1997

can it calculate easter yet?

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 1, 2012

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

It also gets a lot easier after you've wiped out most of humanity. drat fleshy meatbags messing up my perfect code.
This but unironically

Every DateTime class ever made is a pile of poo poo in its own way and its the meatbags fault

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as good as perl

lol

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
i like having to handle dates because i get bored and get to read about how hosed up the world is on wikipedia:
"The 27°N latitude passes back and forth across time zones in South Asia. Pakistan: +05:00, India +05:30, Nepal +05:45, +05:30, Myanmar +06:30. This switching was more odd in 2002, when Pakistan enabled daylight saving time. Thus from west to east, time zones were: +06:00, +05:30, +05:45, +05:30, +08:00, +06:00, +05:30 and +06:30."

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

UTC−00:44 was used in Liberia until May 1, 1972. It was known as Monrovia Mean Time or Liberian Time. The exact timezone was in fact GMT −0h 43m 08s (based on the longitude of Monrovia) until it was redefined as GMT−0:44 on March 1, 1919. In 1972 it was changed to UTC.[1]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

i like having to handle dates because i get bored and get to read about how hosed up the world is on wikipedia:
"The 27°N latitude passes back and forth across time zones in South Asia. Pakistan: +05:00, India +05:30, Nepal +05:45, +05:30, Myanmar +06:30. This switching was more odd in 2002, when Pakistan enabled daylight saving time. Thus from west to east, time zones were: +06:00, +05:30, +05:45, +05:30, +08:00, +06:00, +05:30 and +06:30."

time sucks

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what the gently caress is "mode"? where is it defined?
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm

python documentation is poo poo
write good docs before you duck type you MORONS
doc before you duck

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
oh here is an example of a mode hurf durf *gives no actual definition what the gently caress mode is*

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
looks like image modes, like XRGB or CYMK or whatever, and it looks like a common term for image stuff in general. are you mad they didn't explain the words 'module' or 'class' or 'python' or other common terms

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Deacon of Delicious posted:

looks like image modes, like XRGB or CYMK or whatever, and it looks like a common term for image stuff in general. are you mad they didn't explain the words 'module' or 'class' or 'python' or other common terms

it represents an image mode, I get that

what is the format for image mode? is it a string? an object? a butt? what?????

what modes are supported? is there a table for that?

do i have to read their code?

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

did you look through the page, i figured this out in like a minute. not a 'wait a minute' minute, a 60 second minute

i spent an additional minute and found this: http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/concepts.htm

seriously i don't know anything and i figured this out, you should feel embarrassed

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

did you look through the page, i figured this out in like a minute. not a 'wait a minute' minute, a 60 second minute

i spent an additional minute and found this: http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/concepts.htm

seriously i don't know anything and i figured this out, you should feel embarrassed

oh nice

the image mode format.... in a page called concepts

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
next time i need to lookup a formula i am gonna read einstein's biography

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

oh nice

the image mode format.... in a page called concepts

yes the concept of an image mode format was under concepts

sadly, the concept of a good post was nowhere to be found. better luck next time

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

yes the concept of an image mode format was under concepts

i was looking for the format you fool

compare this to the python docs to see how much poo poo it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i was looking for the format you fool

compare this to the python docs to see how much poo poo it is

this just in, java programmers lacking google proficiency.

Also at reading webpages.
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm#Image.mode

Now I know why android is so hosed up.