Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I have a 32/33 sleeve size and 15 1/2 neck for most shirts (5' 10", 165 lbs). Would I be better off getting a Small or Medium for most sweaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I have a 32/33 sleeve size and 15 1/2 neck for most shirts (5' 10", 165 lbs). Would I be better off getting a Small or Medium for most sweaters?

In the US, I would go small. Vanity sizing is ridiculous around here.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Raimundus posted:

Do flannels shrink enough to justify my buying one size larger than I normally would?

If so, I need to run back to the store to exchange something.

Edit: Is there a clothes care megathread?

I'd assume it depends on the fabric. Mine haven't, but they aren't very fuzzy/stretchy.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

zachol posted:

I'd assume it depends on the fabric. Mine haven't, but they aren't very fuzzy/stretchy.

100% cotton, no evidence that it's preshrunk. I know it'll shrink, but how much?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Raimundus posted:

100% cotton, no evidence that it's preshrunk. I know it'll shrink, but how much?

Well, mine haven't shrunk at all, despite numerous trips through a hot dryer, and they're also cotton. Maybe they were preshrunk?

e: Sorry that I'm being vague. I can check the tags when I get home.

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 3, 2012

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Here's a really specific one. On the now canceled Aftermath with William Shatner, there was an episode where he sat down with Mary Kay Letourneau, that teacher that had sex with and eventually married one of her students.

Now at one point they mentioned something about teenagers not making rational decisions, and Shatner had a loving BOMB of a quote in there where he mentioned that the decision center of the brain is not fully developed yet until a certain age, which is why they send 19 year old kids into war—They can't reason the atrocities that they're committing or something like that.

Does anyone have the verbatim, or at least know almost exactly what he said? It's the best thing I ever heard come out of that man's mouth.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Can anyone recognize and place this sentiment? I'm not sure if it's mine or if I stole it from somewhere, but the latter seems more likely and I wish I knew where.

Chemotherapy isn't for the one who has cancer; it's for everyone else.

(implying all it does is rub salt in your wounds so that when all is said and done and you're on your last breaths, everyone can feel that they did everything they could to help you)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I don't know who came up with that but it's a pretty loving retarded thing to say.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Liebfraumilch posted:

Can anyone recognize and place this sentiment? I'm not sure if it's mine or if I stole it from somewhere, but the latter seems more likely and I wish I knew where.

Chemotherapy isn't for the one who has cancer; it's for everyone else.

(implying all it does is rub salt in your wounds so that when all is said and done and you're on your last breaths, everyone can feel that they did everything they could to help you)

Sounds like something the character Walter White said in Breaking Bad, when he tried to argue against going through chemo.

But I couldn't be 100% sure without watching the show again. I only know that that discussion happened.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Raimundus posted:

Sounds like something the character Walter White said in Breaking Bad, when he tried to argue against going through chemo.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Haven't watched it, so I can rule that one out. If no one else chimes in, the process of elimination could take me a while but it is worth it to exorcise this demon. This summer and fall I read some Stephen King novels with cancer patients, every season of Dexter, and :lost: all around the same time and all so quickly they are a blur. I don't know if they are the answer or just serving to block me from finding the answer at this point.

El_Elegante posted:

I don't know who came up with that but it's a pretty loving retarded thing to say.

Sorry. Woke up with it stuck in my head this morning. Now I guess I should hope it was someone else's words of loving retardation. :(

Edit: \/\/\/ I would totally rectify this if it didn't mean you'd have to edit this post, too. I'll see what I can do about getting my hands on Breaking Bad, thanks.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 3, 2012

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

You exposed my ninja edit.

If you really want to find it, look for an episode where Walt's family has an intervention for him to get him into chemo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If you use an old Ni-Cad battery charger (from the 1980s from the looks of it) to charge up modern NiMH AA cells, how likely are you to burn the house down?

Long story short: some time ago I set up my parents with some rechargeable batteries and a charger for their newfangled digital camera. When I visited them tonight, they happened to mention that they'd found a "bigger" battery charger among the stuff in my late grandmother's attic, and they'd been using it lately to recharge the camera batteries. I asked them to show this charger to me, and when I saw the big chunky yellowed plastic of the Ni-Cad-intended thing, my eyes went to about the size of dinner plates. I gave them the conventional wisdom about never ever mixing up battery chemistries, told them tales of improperly-charged batteries bursting into flames, and scared them back into using the charger I gave them.

So, crisis averted, but I don't honestly know if this particular mix was actually dangerous, or just... kind of sub-optimal. Google seems to indicate the latter, but can someone who knows about these things please educate me a bit?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Raimundus posted:

So I looked, mine are also 100% cotton, nothing about being preshrunk. It says "tumble dry medium, remove promptly," but I've left it on high without any problems.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powered Descent posted:

If you use an old Ni-Cad battery charger (from the 1980s from the looks of it) to charge up modern NiMH AA cells, how likely are you to burn the house down?

Long story short: some time ago I set up my parents with some rechargeable batteries and a charger for their newfangled digital camera. When I visited them tonight, they happened to mention that they'd found a "bigger" battery charger among the stuff in my late grandmother's attic, and they'd been using it lately to recharge the camera batteries. I asked them to show this charger to me, and when I saw the big chunky yellowed plastic of the Ni-Cad-intended thing, my eyes went to about the size of dinner plates. I gave them the conventional wisdom about never ever mixing up battery chemistries, told them tales of improperly-charged batteries bursting into flames, and scared them back into using the charger I gave them.

So, crisis averted, but I don't honestly know if this particular mix was actually dangerous, or just... kind of sub-optimal. Google seems to indicate the latter, but can someone who knows about these things please educate me a bit?

Sub optimal. The amount of power over time you're jamming into the barriers will lead to nicads overheating & shortening their life. Absolute worst case: a cell overheats, swells, bursts, the charger shorts out, whatever the charger is on gets a lovely heat/chemical burn.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

A light in the middle of the train flashes. A man on the train sees this. The light takes ~1.33 (=4/3) seconds to reach the front and rear of the train - it travels at 300,000 m/s, and has 400,000 meters in each direction to travel. The gun at the front of the train fires instantly, destroying the photosensor at the rear of the train. The gun at the rear of the train never fires.

Isn't the observation of the man on the train irrelevant, much like how we can see starlight but the star might already be burned out? If the train was potentially moving faster than the speed of light, the man would not even see the flash.

Also, if the speed of light is constant, isn't the 1.33 second measurement inaccurate? The man would "observe" the light moving faster towards the back and slower towards the front, since the back is approaching the original emission point and the front is moving away. The light's movement in any direction isn't affected by the train's movement, correct?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

GreenCard78 posted:

Why does Ink Masters have a time limit?

Who would get a tattoo from someone on a time limit? :psyduck:

The same reason they have time limits on cooking shows: To make it challenging. If I was given the same 4 ingredients as the contestants on Chopped, but I had all drat day to do something with it, I could probably make a very good dish out of it.

The time limit levels the field a bit. The idea being that, if you are good at what you do, you should be able to show off what we are looking for, your technique in this specific area, within the time allowed. If you can't do that, you're not good enough to win our competition.

As for who would go through with that: people with skin to loose. People who want a tattoo, but don't want to pay for it (I'm assuming the tattoos are comped for the competition). People who wan't a tattoo, but aren't all that concerned about quality. Or if they really believe the hype, the artists are the best of the best and so they should be able to create just what they are looking for in a few hours. Also, they may have some deal where if the tattoo is not completed in the time allowed, they might give you the option to have it finished before you leave. Maybe for the competition, they stop everything when time is up, and take pictures, then finish up the work while the other behind the scenes stuff is being completed/set up.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Are there any good uses for coal ash? I'm moving from a diesel stove to a solid fuel in my current THING I LIVE IN and i'd rather do something more useful with the copious amounts of the stuff I'm gonna end up with than bin it. Googling just brings up reams of coal industry astroturf saying 'Coal is actually good for the environment!' and loads of sites telling you not to put it on soil but apart from that I wondered if there's any point hanging onto it?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

GreenCard78 posted:

Why does Ink Masters have a time limit?

Who would get a tattoo from someone on a time limit? :psyduck:

I feel a little cheap echoing CzarChasm's post, but just felt that it's probably spot on. Some people will do anything for a free tattoo, and I assume the artists on this show are better than the ones in the kinds of shops that attract late-night adventure-seekers. If you'd pay for a dreamcatcher and feathers off the wall, you'd probably have little issue getting a quality(?) tattoo and some TV fame no matter what. I thought I read that awful WTC Raining Men tattoo was part of a competition for the most offensive tattoo and therefore free, but I can't seem to turn anything up on Google about this.

For skin to lose, without trying to sound like I'm some sort of aspiring anthropologist, it seems as though once some people get their first tattoo the next one is already forming in their minds. A butterfly flaps its wings on their foot and causes a tribal hurricane on their upper back or something.

A time limit for this, like in cooking shows or chess matches, assures that an artist doesn't get overly ambitious or do some sort of ink-based filibustering.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CzarChasm posted:

As for who would go through with that: people with skin to loose. People who want a tattoo, but don't want to pay for it (I'm assuming the tattoos are comped for the competition).
Maybe for the competition, they stop everything when time is up, and take pictures, then finish up the work while the other behind the scenes stuff is being completed/set up.

It looks like the tattoos are comped, and this suggests that there is additional work done after taping:

quote:

Four days in Manhattan, free tattoos from a world class tattoo artist. I said, "Yeah" so I was pretty excited about it.
We shot on Thursday and the tattoo was done on Sunday and there were a couple days in between there and she told me she worked on it day and night and was really invested in it.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/2/3720380/getting-inked-bellators-brent-weedman-talks-experience-on-spike-tvs

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Just got an ipad and I'd like to start reading books on it - I see I can install the Kindle reader if I want, is there any benefit to it over the built-in iBooks app? With either app can I easily transfer purchases to my iphone, too? I assume the iphone/ipad does this automatically, but I'm not sure about Amazon stuff.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Do Bertie Botts Every Flavor Jelly Beans still exist? Jelly Belly still sells them on their website, but I haven't seen any in the stores in years. I'm in the northeast US is it matters.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Manslaughter posted:

Isn't the observation of the man on the train irrelevant, much like how we can see starlight but the star might already be burned out? If the train was potentially moving faster than the speed of light, the man would not even see the flash.

Also, if the speed of light is constant, isn't the 1.33 second measurement inaccurate? The man would "observe" the light moving faster towards the back and slower towards the front, since the back is approaching the original emission point and the front is moving away. The light's movement in any direction isn't affected by the train's movement, correct?

The light's movement is always relative to an observer. There is no "true" position of the light, nor is there a "correct" order or timing of events. The important thing here is that there is no reference frame from which it would appear that the sensor was struck before the bulb was able to flash, nor is there a reference frame from which it would appear that the gun fired before the sensor was struck.

If the train were moving faster than the speed of light, I'm not enough of a physicist to guess what would happen. =/ I'm reasonably sure that the man on the train would still see the light take 1.33 seconds to reach the front and the back. I kind of think that the man on the platform would never see the light strike the sensor in the front.

The whole situation is contrived, and it has logical inconsistencies because it assumes that there is a gun that can fire a bullet that travels a distance "instantly." Really, any faster-than-light bullet is going to cause problems. If we look at the same situation with sub-liminal bullets, everything resolves itself.

The man on the train sees each sensor struck simultaneously. The gun in the front of the train fires its bullet, and, while the bullet is traveling towards the rear of the train, the gun in the rear of the train fires its bullet.

The man on the platform sees the rear sensor struck first. The gun in the rear of the train fires its bullet, then, while the bullet is traveling towards the front of the train, the gun in the front of the train fires its bullet.

To the man on the platform, the bullet traveling rear->front would appear to travel more slowly than the bullet traveling front->rear, even though they would appear to be traveling at the same rate to the man on the train. In the end, however, each man would see the same amount of time elapse between the rear gun firing and the rear gun being struck, as well as the same amount of time elapse between the front gun firing and the front gun being struck.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

Just got an ipad and I'd like to start reading books on it - I see I can install the Kindle reader if I want, is there any benefit to it over the built-in iBooks app? With either app can I easily transfer purchases to my iphone, too? I assume the iphone/ipad does this automatically, but I'm not sure about Amazon stuff.
It's just whichever you prefer; both work great and share with other ios devices fine. If you have specific concerns or questions find the iPad dedicated app thread and/or general ios app thread in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

boner meter posted:

Are there any good uses for coal ash? I'm moving from a diesel stove to a solid fuel in my current THING I LIVE IN and i'd rather do something more useful with the copious amounts of the stuff I'm gonna end up with than bin it. Googling just brings up reams of coal industry astroturf saying 'Coal is actually good for the environment!' and loads of sites telling you not to put it on soil but apart from that I wondered if there's any point hanging onto it?

I think it can be used topically to treat psoriasis. Or maybe that's coal tar

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I think it can be used topically to treat psoriasis. Or maybe that's coal tar

It's coal tar.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

About three days ago when bending over my lower back got really painful for a few seconds (pulled muscle?). Ever since then it's been mildly sore and stiff. Normally I wouldn't care and just go on with my life but I know a lot of people with F'ed up lower backs and don't want to become one.

Should I just ignore it for a week and see what happens or should I go see someone about it?

I say take it easy for 1-2 weeks.
If you seek help, a doctor will say the same thing - take it easy for a week, no heavy lifting or hockey games. They won't give you much help until it's been a problem for a while, or if it's debilitating or a really specific pain.

If you have money to spare, this could also be a time for a massage. For hurt/overused bodies, pro massages can give actual benefits beyond "mmm relaxing." And worst case, it's relaxing.

edit: vvvvv oops! somehow I thought I was on the last page. Sorry.
:cop: Move along, nothing to see here, etc.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 3, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

alnilam posted:

I say take it easy for 1-2 weeks.
If you seek help, a doctor will say the same thing - take it easy for a week, no heavy lifting or hockey games. They won't give you much help until it's been a problem for a while, or if it's debilitating or a really specific pain.

If you have money to spare, this could also be a time for a massage. For hurt/overused bodies, pro massages can give actual benefits beyond "mmm relaxing." And worst case, it's relaxing.

You know you're replying to a post from a week ago, right?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

They wouldn't see the same thing because while the light is traveling the men are being moved different distances away from the sensor. When the light hits the back, station-man would be 1/4 the train length from the back sensor and 3/4 the length from the front. Train-man "sees" the light hit the back sensor at the same time as the front, but only because it takes the visible result of both the same amount of time to travel to the sensor and back to him. The moral of the story is that all perception is faulty. We can see stars that have burned out, and can't see ones that have just formed.

There has to be a better thread for this though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I know there's a maximum amount of vitamin C your body will use in a day before getting rid of the rest of it, but is it possible to overdose on it?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there an orchestral music recommendation thread or anything? I love orchestral video game music (Uematsu, etc.) and would love to find similar music to listen to while I program.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Are there threads about consumer electronics, or TVs specifically? I seem to remember there being a whole subforum for the subject.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I have a semi beat up 1982 Los Angeles - Oranges counties Thomas guide. Would this fetch any cash anywhere?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lance Streetman posted:

I know there's a maximum amount of vitamin C your body will use in a day before getting rid of the rest of it, but is it possible to overdose on it?

Apparently you'd need to consume at least 1% of your own body weight in it before it starts getting deadly.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are there threads about consumer electronics, or TVs specifically? I seem to remember there being a whole subforum for the subject.

TVs and the subforum. Like 90% of the threads are about phones and tablets, but I'm pretty sure that's just the 'go-to' consumer electronics subforum. I think it merged with the A/V Arena.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Lance Streetman posted:

It's possible to overdose on literally anything, including things like water. Excess Vitamin C gets urinated out pretty quickly though, so it's not something that needs to be worried about.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lance Streetman posted:

In addition to what the people above said you can experience side effects from too much vitamin C that occur well (WELL) short of overdose levels, like stomach cramps and diarrhea. You can easily get to that level with pills, but to actually OD you'd just about have to go with an IV.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tarepanda posted:

Is there an orchestral music recommendation thread or anything? I love orchestral video game music (Uematsu, etc.) and would love to find similar music to listen to while I program.

You have no idea how many projects/papers/finals/programming poo poo of mine have been saved by the soundtrack to Shadow of the Colossus.

And not videogamey at all, but if you don't love Appalachian Spring, there is something loving wrong with you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

JD posted:

I have a semi beat up 1982 Los Angeles - Oranges counties Thomas guide. Would this fetch any cash anywhere?

Probably not too much. Check Ebay and see if you can find anything similar, but just from the description you would probably only get something like $10 at the most.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm confused by Spotify and how it defines "premium" service, etc. Can someone help?

I think that one of these are true:
1. It's free (i.e. does not require Premium) to use spotify from my computer or phone, but I may get ads and per-month listening limitations, and I cannot cache songs to my computer or phone.
or
2. It's free to use spotify on my computer (though I may get ads and per-month listening limitations), but I can't use it on my phone whatsoever without Premium.

Which one of these is true, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

I'm confused by Spotify and how it defines "premium" service, etc. Can someone help?

I think that one of these are true:
1. It's free (i.e. does not require Premium) to use spotify from my computer or phone, but I may get ads and per-month listening limitations, and I cannot cache songs to my computer or phone.
or
2. It's free to use spotify on my computer (though I may get ads and per-month listening limitations), but I can't use it on my phone whatsoever without Premium.

Which one of these is true, if any?

This is pretty clear:

http://www.spotify.com/us/get-spotify/overview/