Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Because The Dark Knight Rises did the exact same thing. Broken/ruined buildings form a void in shape of the logo. Someone put a Batman cowl over Kirk's head.

At least this one has all the buildings and the characters obeying the same direction of 'up'.

Ironically, in Star Trek that doesn't always need to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Wouldn't it be cooler if the logo was blasted in the side of the Enterprise?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

casa de mi padre posted:

Wouldn't it be cooler if the logo was blasted in the side of the Enterprise?

That's actually what I thought it was. A crash-landed Enterprise. Well, a crashed ship of some kind, anyway.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The Matrix* looks cold this time of year, I don't know if Kirk's Benedict's vinyl coat will be warm enough.

*"The Matrix of the sequels" at least. A noir Star Trek reboot would be something I could get behind, even if just out of morbid curiosity.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 3, 2012

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is that actually Kirk in the poster? I thought from the black/dark hair that it was supposed to be Benedict Cumberbatch's character (whoever that is).

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
It's Benedict:

Also:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gonz posted:

Well, he IS Sherlock Holmes, afterall.

I'd love to see other parts of Earth in the 23rd/24th century Star Trek universe. All we ever saw in any of the shows was France, I believe.
They showed San Francisco sometimes in TNG since Starfleet Academy was located there :)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

They showed San Francisco sometimes in TNG since Starfleet Academy was located there :)

New Orleans came up from time to time on DS9 because of Sisko's restaurant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like that we've happened to never ever see New York because hell, something had to get nuked in World War III.

But yeah 90% of the time in Star Trek on Earth, we're seeing San Francisco.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
We saw New Zealand in the first episode of Voyager, it was a penal colony.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ahh yes, Superman's true weakness: Handcuffs.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

I get wanting to have a cool lens flare thing that illuminates the logo but a fluorescent light? That's the best you can come up with?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Ahh yes, Superman's true weakness: Handcuffs.
Clark is an illegal alien. Show me the birth certificate, Kal-El!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Young Freud posted:

Trump as Hackman-style Luthor!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That's a really weird poster for a Superman movie.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gonz posted:

I doubt it's gonna take place entirely on Earth or any other planet for that matter; the goddamn thing is gonna be in 3D. Abrams will almost certainly include lots of PEW PEW PEW and explosions and space shenanigans and 3 dimensional thinking. Nobody wants to watch a terrestrial-based ST movie.

• "Star Trek: First Contact"-- $146 million.
• "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"--$139 million.
"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"--$133 million.
• "Star Trek Generations"--$120 million.
• "Star Trek: Insurrection"--$118 million.
• "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"--$97 million.
• "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"--$96.9 million.
• "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock"--$87 million.
• "Star Trek Nemesis"--$67 million.
• "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"--$63 million.

Nobody?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe it's one of those lenticular posters, so from one angle you see Superman solemnly walking in cuffs but then as you stroll past the picture changes to Superman triumphantly breaking free and roasting those pigs alive with his heat vision, rotisserie style.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Young Freud posted:

I would love if that's what the movie was about.
Hell, it was the backstory to The Return of Captain Invincible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQxVqzzsHg

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

What the hell? This is horrible. I mean, at least you've got a little bit of acting from Caville looking sad and clearly just going along with it, but it's boring, has the strangest use of lens flare I can remember, and is basically just trying to show off the suit, but in a lackluster way. Wow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And the suit is hideous.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And the suit is hideous.

Yeah it's like the new Spider-Man suit. It seems to me like they use that texture so it'll look good in HD.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

As much as everyone is making GBS threads on the Superman poster, I have to say I really like the idea of the poster.

Superman can obviously rip out of those cuffs, so the fact that he's putting up with them just means he is putting up with due process. It's a great idea for an image, even if execution isn't great.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 3, 2012

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I actually love it. Sets the tone, especially for the apparent angle that this is a Superman that people haven't yet accepted as a benevolent, perfect, all-American hero (which is fitting, considering that this is being set up as a kind of origin story). Suit looks great, too -- I love the enormous shield, and Superman actually looks as ripped as he should instead of cut and wiry. If it weren't for the texture, he would look shiny and plasticine. It shows characterization, too, because Superman is allowing himself to be taken into custody. He isn't trapped by handcuffs, but demonstrating his unflinching respect for and sense of duty to abide by authority. Again, we always see Superman long after he's been accepted by humans -- we've never seen (or seen much of) this transition period during which people would probably be freaked out by him and his immeasurable power.

Besides, traditional Superman posters have been done to death. If it weren't this, it would be him flying and/or moving something heavy. Whee.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
His arms are in more of an awkward position than Chris Evans's on the Captain America poster

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tvb posted:

Again, we always see Superman long after he's been accepted by humans -- we've never seen (or seen much of) this transition period during which people would probably be freaked out by him and his immeasurable power.

Just a nitpick, but we see Superman immediately being loved and celebrated the moment he steps out. His first jaunts in public involve saving two people in a crashing helicopter, saving a plane from crashing, saving a kitten, stopping bank robbers. The newspapers love him immediately for it. Other than a brief moment in 3, Superman has always been loved, and Donner wisely played this angle up, with Superman struggling in his conversations with his father about becoming addicted to his fame. (skip to 5 mins)

But yes, as you say, Superman as the feared, alien mystery would be something different and novel now.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 3, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Just a nitpick, but we see Superman immediately being loved and celebrated the moment he steps out. His first jaunts in public involve saving two people in a crashing helicopter, saving a plane from crashing, saving a kitten, stopping bank robbers. The newspapers love him immediately for it. Other than a brief moment in 3, Superman has always been loved, and Donner wisely played this angle up, with Superman struggling in his conversations with his father about becoming addicted to his fame.

But yes, as you say, Superman as the feared, alien mystery would be something different and novel now.

That's kinda what Spider-man and Batman had going for them. The people don't trust a weirdo in a costume.

Superman is just too boring (always has been), and he stops to give speeches about THE AMERICAN WAY and just, really, has lacked that kind of depth forever.

And the costume is stupid. /superman hate

Hopefully the movie can do something to fix a lot of this.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I actually like the poster a lot, and it's good to see a Superhero poster that isn't a variation on the same poses we've seen a thousand times before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Superman is just too boring (always has been), and he stops to give speeches about THE AMERICAN WAY and just, really, has lacked that kind of depth forever.
I've written many many posts about Superman 1 and I'll keep saying that it is genuinely under-appreciated for how good the drama is. Superman's central struggle isn't about beating someone up or stopping a bomb, it's about whether he listens to his biological father or his adoptive one. For a film about an invincible hero, it was pretty insightful to make his central struggle a moral/emotional one.

I won't defend 2 3 or 4 though.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Yeah, I like that poster. It sets up an unusual situation - people distrusting Superman and putting him under arrest - and it also shows that Superman is willing to go along with the law even when it's a setback for him and even if he doesn't have anything stopping him from snapping the handcuffs and flying off into space. The point of Superman is that he doesn't just do whatever he wants to, he does the right thing.

So it illuminates the character and simultaneously puts him in a situation the average moviegoer hasn't seen him in. I'm not sold on the costume having no trunks, but I'm totally 100% right irrational like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The beginning of the movie where Superman is drunk and reckless is pretty funny.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't that basically Superman: Birthright?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno, I never read it. Should I?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

His arms are in more of an awkward position than Chris Evans's on the Captain America poster

What's wrong with that poster? Except that he looks apologetic and un-American :patriot:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, I never read it. Should I?

Yes you should. Especially as this movie seems to be based pretty directly off of it, substituting Zod for the fake Kryptonian's that Luthor uses in it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Superman: Birthright has my favorite last two pages and last five words out of any Superman story, ever. And I've read quite a few.

If Man of Steel is based off of Birthright, then that means only good tidings as far as I'm concerned.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Given that the Golden era for most superhero titles remains the 60s I'd like to see just one movie go full on 60s bonkers.

X-Men First Class was sort of almost kind of close, but not nearly wacky enough.

I want to see a Grant Morrison style psychedelic messiah Superman, not more of this dreary brooding poo poo.

Hnn.

Here's a movie poster tho

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wow, is there any way to buy this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

joedevola posted:

Given that the Golden era for most superhero titles remains the 60s I'd like to see just one movie go full on 60s bonkers.

X-Men First Class was sort of almost kind of close, but not nearly wacky enough.

I want to see a Grant Morrison style psychedelic messiah Superman, not more of this dreary brooding poo poo.

Hnn.

Here's a movie poster tho

Fantastic Four is the obvious choice for something to be set in the 60's at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Vegetable posted:

What's wrong with that poster? Except that he looks apologetic and un-American :patriot:

His elbows look like they're coming at you, then bending back towards him.