Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

is java a linux? this is important

no. of course not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
asp.net is just profoundly loving awful

use a web "framework" that doesn't get in your way too much, i'd say some sort of templating system and a url routing system and that's about it, probably add some Dependency Injection as well if that makes sense for your language.

So yeah I guess that would be Flask if you have to use Python.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also java is open source therefore it is a linux hth

it is also first and foremost designed for solaris, which is also a linux

it's ok shaggar, once you admit the truth into your heart you can begin to heal

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Dog posted:

also java is open source therefore it is a linux hth

it is also first and foremost designed for solaris, which is also a linux

it's ok shaggar, once you admit the truth into your heart you can begin to heal

Solaris is a UNIX you are dumb hth

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Sweeper posted:

Solaris is a UNIX you are dumb hth

read up on your canon, idiot. in the shaggarverse unix is in fact a linux, also it's bad + not good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Java isn't gpl do its not linux. It's not even really open sores since its controlled entirely by oracle. This is good cause open sores would have destroyed it with dumb crap like duck typing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

read up on your canon, idiot. in the shaggarverse unix is in fact a linux, also it's bad + not good.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

WHOIS John Galt posted:

This post owns

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

Java isn't gpl do its not linux. It's not even really open sores since its controlled entirely by oracle. This is good cause open sores would have destroyed it with dumb crap like duck typing.

http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html

woops, java is a linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

java is licensed under gpl version 2

java's evolution and development are managed by the java community process, not oracle

while it's true that oracle are serious rear end in a top hat patent litigators, they don't have the power to move the language in any particular direction. the jcp is intrinsically and unavoidably an open, multi-vendor process

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also the new jvm has facilities specifically designed for dynamically typed languages

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Shaggar posted:

thats cause they're frameworks which is antithetical to the google mindset.

lol you think jawn works for google

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

WHOIS John Galt posted:

just because shaggar is reaching new levels of wrong doesn't mean the rest of us have to

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Shaggar would you say you have had a positive exprience with asp.net web forms (not mvc)? for sake of enthusiasm scaling

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

in simplest terms what is the difference between mvc and mvvm

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
dont u c its vm

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

gucci void main posted:

in simplest terms what is the difference between mvc and mvvm

well the c (controller) turned into a vm (view-model)

as you can see, mv - c + vm = mvvm

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

0xB16B00B5 posted:

dont u c its vm

i hate you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

horrible. but its also not the real gpl anyways.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also thats openjdk, not java.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shameproof posted:

Shaggar would you say you have had a positive exprience with asp.net web forms (not mvc)? for sake of enthusiasm scaling

no.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweeper posted:

well the c (controller) turned into a vm (view-model)

as you can see, mv - c + vm = mvvm

ya basically.

your view has a view model to which components in the view are bound. this successfully abstracts the model from the view which means you're designers can write their view without knowing or caring about the model and then you write the model not knowing or caring about the view. then you tie them together in the viewmodel.

whereas in mvc you're view still needs to understand the model. you can get the same effect in mvc if you let the view define the model and then filled that model from another model.

xaml owns pretty hard.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

also thats openjdk, not java.

This is gonna make you cry, but OpenJDK is the official Java SE 7 reference implementation.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:negative:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i have a pretty good experience with xaml until i tried to make my app look native

then the visual difference between wpf and whatever people program windows in C or C++ and say hwnd a lot use was pretty obvious and glaring

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
another place where web apps succeed. how will will you get a clean, consistant look between operation systems

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

well you see if you use swing you can make your apps looks terrible and sickly grey and purple across all platforms

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

0xB16B00B5 posted:

another place where web apps succeed. how will will you get a clean, consistant look between operation systems

LOOK AND FEEL DUH

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

0xB16B00B5 posted:

making GBS threads on xaml? i thought you were shaggaring for win8

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

0xB16B00B5 posted:

gently caress a consistent look and feel across platforms. Make each one look native,
Java code:
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Hard NOP Life posted:

gently caress a consistent look and feel across platforms. Make each one look native,

this

i don't give a poo poo that gimp on os x looks the same as gimp on windows i care that it doesn't look like anything else on my OS

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the web browser is a frame which lets the user to expect a certain set of UI and UX paradigms, rather than leaving them disappointed where an almost-native app has quirks due to universally terrible cross platform UI kits

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

0xB16B00B5 posted:

the web browser is a frame which lets the user to expect a certain set of UI and UX paradigms, rather than leaving them disappointed where an almost-native app has quirks due to universally terrible cross platform UI kits

the web browser is a frame inside of which the user expects things to be confusing and broken

so the user is never disappointed when that is exactly the situation

expect quality UX => receive crap => anger

expect crap => receive crap => THE POWER OF THE WEB

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the web browser is a frame inside of which the user expects things to be confusing and broken

so the user is never disappointed when that is exactly the situation

expect quality UX => receive crap => anger
expect crap => receive crap => THE POWER OF THE WEB

yeah man the web really sucks. bet it's not even going to take off

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

the internet is a dad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

WHOIS John Galt posted:

yeah man the web really sucks. bet it's not even going to take off

the web is enduring proof that sucking rear end is no obstacle to success

i mean it is a totally fine and dandy hypertext system. an awesome one. but it isn't a good platform for gui applications or e-mail clients or desktop publishing software, and every dark corner of hacker news has a slobbering js dev just waiting for his chance to inflict a new class of broken application on an unsuspecting public and ugh

edit: you think the gimp sucks now. wait until you see the hot new Phtshp.pr Pro app. it's a yc startup with lots of buzz and any day now chrome/v8/nodejs will fix all the insurmountable technical problems with their product! oh and it's mobile first, because responsive design! and instagram!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 3, 2012

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

gucci void main posted:

the internet is a dad

Exactly, it'll die off just like that "Information superhighway" thing did.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

i have a pretty good experience with xaml until i tried to make my app look native

then the visual difference between wpf and whatever people program windows in C or C++ and say hwnd a lot use was pretty obvious and glaring

yeah you can deffo tell when a wpf uses the standard widgets w/ no theming, but u can change all that if u really want to. xaml has stylesheets so all you really need is more xml.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sweeper posted:

also do people really think notch is a good coder or are they all trollin

not only is he infamous for being bad, he was genuinely surprised and angered to learn he was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if you find yourself confronted with a programming problem, consider using a lightweight framework.

if you continue to have issues, perhaps your framework was not light enough? or perhaps it was too light. Either way, it's time to switch lightweight frameworks.