Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey everyone Xover came out in Japan. And a review and 20 minutes of gameplay with it.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/11/29/rockman-xover-first-impressions-yeah-it-sucks/
Hahahahahahaha what the gently caress.

Hey Capcom, you suck even more than I thought was possible. Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Wow, they really went for "as close to zero as possible" for the budget, huh?

Capcom must have no money anymore or something.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Wow, they really went for "as close to zero as possible" for the budget, huh?

Capcom must have no money anymore or something.

It's like they found someone that made a flashgame on newgrounds once, then gave them a cheese burger and asked them to make a game for them in an afternoon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey everyone Xover came out in Japan. And a review and 20 minutes of gameplay with it.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/11/29/rockman-xover-first-impressions-yeah-it-sucks/

Absolutely disgusting. What happened to you Capcom? :(

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Absolutely disgusting. What happened to you Capcom? :(

I'm still voting "ran out of money."

Like Castlevania, Megaman was given funds when its creator still cared. Inafune for MM and IGA for Castlevania.

Castlevania is still around, it got a new lease at life with Shadows. IGA's desperation isn't needed anymore.

But ever since Inafune left, no one seems to really care to beg the suits for cash at Capcom.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They managed to make it even worse than that flash game earlier making fun of their cheap-rear end cash-grab.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not surprised nor am I disappointed. The only good thing to come out of Capcom in the last 2 years was Dragons Dogma and that was only a proof of concept I have officially shelved my disappointment of them just like I did for Nintendo when the Wii came out I'll revisit giving Capcom a chance to disappoint me again when the new consoles are out but as for now I'm done.

And as for what happened to them... This generation of consoles has gone on for way WAY too loving long and as such they've run out of ideas that work on current gen consoles with the staff they have currently and as such have been spinning their wheels for a few years now. Look at RE 6 look at Dead Rising 2 Off the Record look at X-over they all show an amazing lack of originality either repurposing ideas or assets wholesale to shove something out the door trying to show that they are still relevant in the market today. I really think it boils down to their executives having no idea how to move forward in this stale market. Look at their games released early in this generations life span Lost Planet (new IP great tech behind it and was a graphical showcase for the 360), Dead Rising (New IP new tech and showcasing how many models could be onscreen at once), and Devil May Cry 4 (returning IP new tech and a good looking but not overly amazing game) we have 3 well made well reviewed games that showcased what these consoles could do and now all we have is iterative messes this console generations length is killing them and other developers, with nothing left to iterate or strive for they are left to stew and I'll be shocked if Capcom especially can pull themselves out of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can say a lot about RE6's flaws but "lack of ideas" is not even remotely one of its problems. If anything its problem is that it had too many ideas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

You can say a lot about RE6's flaws but "lack of ideas" is not even remotely one of its problems. If anything its problem is that it had too many ideas.

Shoving in a bunch of poorly thought out gimmicks to cover for a complete inability to do anything interesting with the classic formula and core gameplay is certainly indicative that they had no ideas for a Mega Man game.

E: I somehow misread your post as being about Mega Man X6

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 1, 2012

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The Xover game looks like something I'd expect from a cash in iPhone game by Family Guy or Pawn Stars or something, not a company that is supposed to know how to make games.

The amount of frames in the one running animation is hilarious. As is the lovely gradient floor. You know what, it pretty much all is. I feel ashamed that I watched that video hoping I'd see something I like in it.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 30, 2012

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

They managed to make it even worse than that flash game earlier making fun of their cheap-rear end cash-grab.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this video.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hey I

think it would

be a good

idea if the game

play would stop every

5 seconds oh good the stage is already over thank God.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
And here I thought that reusing the menu music from MM2 in MM9 was lazy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I honest to God think Capcom is the single worst big name game developer today. And mind you, we exist in a world where EA, Square-Enix and Activision exist.

And this isn't just my Mega Man bias talking. This is Street Fighter X Tekken, Resident Evil: Raccoon City Chronicles, RE6 and DMC talking.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Hey guys, Kalinka is back! You remember her, right?

She had a brief appearance in the fourth game.

I guess Tron was too busy?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
He jumps and he shoots; therefore, is it a Mega Man game.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Where's the autoplay button?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MEGAMAN! If there are enemies that you must shoot and also enemies that you must jump and shoot at the same time, press the lazy button to kill them all at once!

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Voxx posted:

Where's the autoplay button?

It only appears during bosses.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I honest to God think Capcom is the single worst big name game developer today. And mind you, we exist in a world where EA, Square-Enix and Activision exist.

And this isn't just my Mega Man bias talking. This is Street Fighter X Tekken, Resident Evil: Raccoon City Chronicles, RE6 and DMC talking.

Woah woah woah, I wouldn't lump SE in there. Sure they suck as a developer, but they've been publishing some great games. Still agree that Capcom is utter poo poo though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The "Rockman 25th Anniversary" graphic at the start of the video is a real punch in the gut.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Wait, so Xover recycles music AND bosses? :psyduck: Why bother?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Himuro posted:

Wait, so Xover recycles music AND bosses? :psyduck: Why bother?

And yet, if these things were remixed right it would make an amazing Megaman Generations.

Oh man. Megaman is the new Sonic with much less games.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Woah woah woah, I wouldn't lump SE in there. Sure they suck as a developer, but they've been publishing some great games. Still agree that Capcom is utter poo poo though.

Okay, I'll give you that, while Square-Enix has made some pretty huge fuckups recently, at least they've been putting in some effort into fixing them. Capcom just doesn't give a gently caress about anything.

I mean honestly, Capcom has completely pissed all over every popular franchise they have. Like, the only great Capcom game series that hasn't been anally raped lately is Darkstalkers, and that's because they haven't made a new one in a decade and a half. It's probably best to keep it that way.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, I'll give you that, while Square-Enix has made some pretty huge fuckups recently, at least they've been putting in some effort into fixing them. Capcom just doesn't give a gently caress about anything.

I mean honestly, Capcom has completely pissed all over every popular franchise they have. Like, the only great Capcom game series that hasn't been anally raped lately is Darkstalkers, and that's because they haven't made a new one in a decade and a half. It's probably best to keep it that way.

I honestly think Capcom's apology for no Darkstalkers games was making Morrigan a top tier character in Ultimate Marvel 3.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Give them time.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Skychrono posted:

And yet, if these things were remixed right it would make an amazing Megaman Generations.

Oh man. Megaman is the new Sonic with much less games.

Sonic took a sharp near-instant nosedive into horridness, followed by a slow climb into being pretty ok.

Megaman has just been getting steadily worse :smith:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
My favorite thing about the Darkstalkers reboot was when Ono asked during the SDCC panel for everyone to raise a dollar into the air if they'd buy it, then took a picture to send to the higher ups at Capcom as proof.

Then at NYCC he said the higher ups wanted another picture except this time everyone had to hold up at least a ten dollar bill.

That's when I realized Capcom was run by Mr. Burns.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ryaomon posted:

My favorite thing about the Darkstalkers reboot was when Ono asked during the SDCC panel for everyone to raise a dollar into the air if they'd buy it, then took a picture to send to the higher ups at Capcom as proof.

Then at NYCC he said the higher ups wanted another picture except this time everyone had to hold up at least a ten dollar bill.

That's when I realized Capcom was run by Mr. Burns.

See? Told you guys that Capcom has become this penny-pinching corporation that developers need to beg and resort to flashy moves like this to get funding.

Inafune hinted about this when he left, this is just more evidence.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Ono has said stuff that makes it sound like they've been that way for a while. The higher-ups refused to support Street Fighter 4 at all early on, and he and his team had to work on a prototype all by themselves for a while until they gave in and let him have actual resources.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Ono has said stuff that makes it sound like they've been that way for a while. The higher-ups refused to support Street Fighter 4 at all early on, and he and his team had to work on a prototype all by themselves for a while until they gave in and let him have actual resources.

Yeah...in Final Fantasy threads, people like to scream about the S-E CEO Wada being a horrible leader. Which isn't far off, admittedly, but it makes me wonder why the same isn't said about Capcom. I don't know who the suits in charge are, nor do I know their policies--does any Capcom fan?

Seems odd that S-E would have people with armchair Japanese business knowledge, but Capcom fans don't muster the same energy and rage.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There's even a tutorial on how to run and shoot...jiminy christmas that's awful.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 1, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
The intro stage to Mega Man X was so great because it didn't hold you hand, and you had to teach yourself the fundamentals; the intro stage to Xover is bad because there's 19 pop-ups telling you how to play the game.

I mean, there's not much else to say after that. I couldn't watch much after the first stage. It's so bad. This game screams to be torn apart.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Technically, the part of SE that's publishing good games is whatever part of Eidos they absorbed. They are kinda connected in name only.

Purple Drink
Aug 1, 2007

*knock knock*
Hey!
Gimme somma that PURPLE DRINK!
I watched the Xover footage.

I am crying and I might not make it into work this evening.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Xover has some okay ideas for a dumb little free-to-play "make the bars bigger and collect items" game it seems, but yeah it's a new Mega Man game in the same way that a Mega Man-themed lotto scratcher ticket would be. And they still seem to have bungled the execution.

Schwarzwald posted:

The "Rockman 25th Anniversary" graphic at the start of the video is a real punch in the gut.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah. Capcom's one not-releasing-ex-troopers-over-here away from the lofty highs of Activision's corporate bullshit from which there is no return.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
In more non-Capcom related Mega Man news (so you know you're in for a treat), a pretty swell dude going by RushJet1 had remade the entire MM3 OST with a VRC6 sound chip. Hearing the most complex and interwoven of the NES OSTs filtered through Konami's 8-bit audio wizardry is one of the coolest things I've experienced in a while. Definitely give this a listen and cough up some dough for the download if you like what you hear.

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-3-remade

If the guy had had access to a SCC we'd really be in business.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Violen posted:

In more non-Capcom related Mega Man news (so you know you're in for a treat), a pretty swell dude going by RushJet1 had remade the entire MM3 OST with a VRC6 sound chip. Hearing the most complex and interwoven of the NES OSTs filtered through Konami's 8-bit audio wizardry is one of the coolest things I've experienced in a while. Definitely give this a listen and cough up some dough for the download if you like what you hear.

Is there any way to get that into a rom? I'd love it if I could play mm3 with that soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Violen posted:

This is loving awesome, thanks for the find. Sounds like TMNT 5: Turtle Harder.