Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
protip: if u got a long build on mac, tack this onto the end of ur build.sh

code:
/usr/bin/say -v Cello build is done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done
then u can just post or eat or whatever and your lovely macintrash toy computer will tell you when it's done with the build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

no. of course not

did tbc say 'the exception that proves the rule' yet

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the web is enduring proof that sucking rear end is no obstacle to success

i mean it is a totally fine and dandy hypertext system. an awesome one. but it isn't a good platform for gui applications or e-mail clients or desktop publishing software, and every dark corner of hacker news has a slobbering js dev just waiting for his chance to inflict a new class of broken application on an unsuspecting public and ugh

in many ways, yes, x11 and mfc were a massive improvement in putting interactive things on a screen.

quote:

edit: you think the gimp sucks now. wait until you see the hot new Phtshp.pr Pro app. it's a yc startup with lots of buzz and any day now chrome/v8/nodejs will fix all the insurmountable technical problems with their product! oh and it's mobile first, because responsive design! and instagram!

if only display postscript had took off, print designers would rejoice

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

if you find yourself confronted with a programming problem, consider using a lightweight framework.

better yet, write one yourself

quote:

if you continue to have issues, perhaps your framework was not light enough? or perhaps it was too light. Either way, it's time to switch lightweight frameworks.

better still, time to write a new one from scratch

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

if only display postscript had took off, print designers would rejoice

that would have been so rad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

maybe we'd have something decent instead of browsers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

that would have been so rad

i dunno. html and css in many ways nicer than raw ps/pdf or even tex. using print stuff for interaction feels like more skeuomorphism at work. we don't have pages any more we have a screen we poke at. (nb, css/html are still terrible at lots of things)

just imagine the fun we could have if we were using forth instead of javascript.

*this website is optmized for us-letter*

that said, you can do hyperlinks in pdf, so you could probably build a website out of a bunch of pdf files instead of html.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

maybe we'd have something decent instead of browsers

browsers are pretty rad. the things we had before really sucked.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
man, this program we have, that lets us read and interact with information stored on machines all over the planet, smells of wee

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

better yet, write one yourself

better still, time to write a new one from scratch

this is why common lisp is dead

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is why common lisp is dead

i thought this was because it is a terrible language used by terrible people.

it's a community filled with savant auteurs each dictating their own perfect microcosm, struggling to come to terms with the dissonance between being perfect and being successful.

you see it in terms like 'the blub paradox' and 'worse is better', übermensch asing why all these wrong people seem to make things that work.

it isn't that lisp is a bad language. it is just now we have movable type and we don't need monks and illustration to write down ideas.

tef fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 4, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
technology is social before it is technical

sometimes you win, sometimes deleuse

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

All language not parsable by recursive descent are poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

And I mean LL(k) don't be bringing in symbol table hacks and all that other poo poo and think "oh it's ok to be a little context sensitive" IT'S NOT

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

i thought this was because it is a terrible language used by terrible people.

it's a community filled with savant auteurs each dictating their own perfect microcosm, struggling to come to terms with the dissonance between being perfect and being successful.

you see it in terms like 'the blub paradox' and 'worse is better', übermensch asing why all these wrong people seem to make things that work.

it isn't that lisp is a bad language. it is just now we have movable type and we don't need monks and illustration to write down ideas.

it's more the "perfect microsm" than anything else

as a hobby matter, i once tried to write a GTK+ application in CL
  • there were four different GTK+ bindings
  • none had correct, comprehensive, or up to date documentation (iirc two of them actually linked to the gtk+ C docs)
  • none of them worked for more than "hello world"
  • glancing back at cliki, i see that the four bindings have expanded to eight. i'm sure the four new ones don't work either

as with all CL libraries, the library auteurs considered them "finished" whenever their personal application worked and never touched them again

the "blub paradox" and "worse is better" thinking comes from helpful, thoughtful people on comp.lang.lisp who do not seem to understand why their community cannot grow, so they work on essays

every CL user is an island
an island of half-working code

edit: if you doubt me, just search cliki for *any* problem space. at any given time, for n active users, common lisp has no fewer than n+1 published libraries
http://cliki.net/Database
http://cliki.net/MIME
http://cliki.net/URI

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 4, 2012

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Languages parsable by recursive descent are also poo poo. It's just not because of the grammar

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

i dunno. html and css in many ways nicer than raw ps/pdf or even tex. using print stuff for interaction feels like more skeuomorphism at work. we don't have pages any more we have a screen we poke at. (nb, css/html are still terrible at lots of things)

just imagine the fun we could have if we were using forth instead of javascript.

*this website is optmized for us-letter*

that said, you can do hyperlinks in pdf, so you could probably build a website out of a bunch of pdf files instead of html.

css didn't exist when html was invented, id assume the same arc would have been followed for its development, if it'd gained traction.

the page size thing is a red herring, look at all those lovely 300px wide single column layouts you see everywhere. people who aren't programmers generally hate automatic layout.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

you shouldn't argue about languages bc no matter what its just nerdly nerdshit

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

And I mean LL(k) don't be bringing in symbol table hacks and all that other poo poo and think "oh it's ok to be a little context sensitive" IT'S NOT

operator precedence is for weenies

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

expect quality UX => receive crap => anger

expect crap => receive crap => THE POWER OF THE WEB

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tef posted:

dohoho

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
anti-ænternet

programming and schizophrenia

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo the solarized creator is a fkn sperglord

quote:

I'm hard at work on beta2. Feedback welcome.

I figure the MeFi crowd will be more interested than others in the genesis of the colors.

I had both the yellow and blue key hues in mind when I began this months ago. The blue is beautiful and terrifying to me when I use it at about 96% opacity. I have a very strong, long term fear of death by drowning and this correlates to what I imagine is the green blue of deep ocean water, filled with the sediment stirred up by the ocean liner as it impacts on the seabed. I realize there would be no visible light there, but that hardly matters .

The yellow is as close as I can get to my own synesthesia. I don't have wide ranging synesthesia where it's all magical sounds==colors==music. I have one color which is also a shape and a kind of smell/taste. It's all one thing and thinking about it brings all aspects of it immediately to mind/sensation. The yellow in Solarized is essentially this.

I first became aware of this one afternoon at home when my family lived in the woods on a lake. This lake is also bound up with my fear of deep water, so there is a pleasant, fearful symmetry to the whole thing for me.

I'd put this on the main Solarized page but I thought it might weird too many people out.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Jonny 290 posted:

this shocks you in some way?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

tef posted:

that's a pretty harsh reading of worse is better

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

so what's solarized and why should I care?
so some spergy guy writes some spergy poo poo Ive never heard of nor care about, big deal

don't answer though, it was a rhetorical question

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
shut up and use moria

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

tef posted:

operator precedence is for weenies

yup, pretty much. bracket your poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

that's a pretty harsh reading of worse is better

tef is just mad about everything

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

tef is just mad about everything

That's because everything is terrible.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah but what are you gonna do about it

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

sometimes i feel like knowing everything is terrible is a good thing because then you can ask yourself 'am I non-poo poo enough to make [terrible thing] less terrible?'

the answer is no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ccs: haha just learned about open2() and open3()

ITS TIME TO WRECK SOME poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here have an unrelated one liner

perl -ane '/^APUS/?$ap{$F[0]}{'sw'}=$F[1]:0}{foreach(sort keys %ap){print "$_, $ap{$_}{'sw'}\n"}' test.txt

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

what are some good books on sql/database design? at the interview i had, they were talking about postgres which i really have no familiarity with outside of the fact that heroku uses it and does the setup for you with rake migrations. i know there are other options which i was talking to people in irc about (mysql, mssql, etc), but postgres seems pretty popular right now.

i also hear that clean code is a really good book so i might pick that up at some point.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whoops forgot to use map. always use map.

perl -ane '/^APUS/?$ap{$F[0]}{'sw'}=$F[1]:0}{map{print "$_, $ap{$_}{'sw'}\n"}(sort keys %ap)' test.txt

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i use postgres at my work and I learned everything I needed to know by just reading their online docs. If you don't know about SQL at all thats a different story tho (although they do have some baby tutorials iirc)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Socracheese posted:

i use postgres at my work and I learned everything I needed to know by just reading their online docs. If you don't know about SQL at all thats a different story tho (although they do have some baby tutorials iirc)

yeah i pretty much don't know poo poo about sql which is another problem. i can do some basic poo poo in rails but that's only going to get me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

gucci void main posted:

what are some good books on sql/database design? at the interview i had, they were talking about postgres which i really have no familiarity with outside of the fact that heroku uses it and does the setup for you with rake migrations. i know there are other options which i was talking to people in irc about (mysql, mssql, etc), but postgres seems pretty popular right now.

sql doesn't usually follow trends fyi. learn sql using one database and then all the little nuances of your particular server and be able to translate the concepts if/when you need to work with a different one not unlike any other programming language but it's more standardized