Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Super Dude posted:

Between the Galaxy S3 and Razr Maxx HD, which is the better phone (buying used)? I heard that the Razr has a lovely camera, but I hardly ever take pictures (maybe a dozen over the last 18 months).

What is the process for me moving from my X2 to one of those phones? All of my contacts/email/etc. is backed up with Google. Is it going to cause problems going from 3g to 4g?

Razr Maxx HD. The build quality on my HD is the most rock solid I've ever seen from a phone. The S3 is just a plastic piece of poo poo by comparison. I handled the S3's a lot while working for T-mobile so I'm very familiar with them. Touchwiz is awful, the physical home button is obnoxious. It's not nearly as quick as people make it out to be and by comparison the Razrs are just as quick in benchmarking terms.

After playing with S3s for months at work, I can say without a doubt the HD's and Maxx HD's are much nicer phones. Also, want to actually use your phone without having to dim the screen to 25%? Get a Maxx HD and never worry about it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Super Dude posted:

Between the Galaxy S3 and Razr Maxx HD, which is the better phone (buying used)? I heard that the Razr has a lovely camera, but I hardly ever take pictures (maybe a dozen over the last 18 months).

What is the process for me moving from my X2 to one of those phones? All of my contacts/email/etc. is backed up with Google. Is it going to cause problems going from 3g to 4g?

The only things the S3 has on the Razr Maxx HD is a better camera and better developer community/hackability. Your process for "moving" is signing into the new phone with your Google account. Texts won't get copied over, but email and contacts will. Someone here can probably suggest a way to copy texts over if you need that. Going from a 3G phone to an LTE phone is not a hassle, you'll just need a SIM card.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love
I would imagine a used S3 would be cheaper though.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Okay, as previously mentioned, I decided to buy the droid razr m the other day. This was an upgrade from my thunderbolt. I was deciding for either a razr HD maxx or a GS3, but the hd maxx was too much $$$ and the GS3 just really had an unappealing design. It was too thin for convenient single hand use, too light for reassured physical security and I didnt really want a huge phone in general.
And after about a day of messing with the razr m, here are my thoughts, some random, some critical.

- I kept my unlimited data by upgrading the non-smartphone line, and the verizon guy just swapped numbers. So somewhere between now and my next upgrade, I might have to worry about losing it.
- Its 50 bux with a rebate now, and of course, folks from verizon can always give a discount, so try to get a phone at the end of the month so theyre more inclined to lower the amount so they can hit their monthly quotas.

And as for the phone itself...

- This is thing is fast, noticeably faster than the thunderbolt. The dual core is definitely is an improvement over what I was previously using on my thunder bolt, some single core at a lower speed. Its also more comfortable to hold and despite being lighter than the thunderbolt, it still feels dense and sturdy enough to not feel like youre going to break it.

-Battery life is not too much higher, like 15-25% more if I had to put a number on it. Of course this isnt about general battery usage from the phone itself, but rather gps + bluetooth + pandora streaming all at once, along with using it as an mp3 player afterwards. Still, its better than then thunderbolt. And the battery life might improve if I condition the battery as people have mentioned.

-The camera sucks, pictures always come out dim. Thats one thing the thunderbolt did right with its dual flash. The light itself on the razr m seems to be weak and give off a slight discoloration and not a pure white glow. When using a flashlight app, you can see a difference. Oh well.

- I seem to now be connected to 4g more often and general download speed has improved. But the 4g indicator is always on, and I'm not too sure if that means I am getting 4g speed or if its just an imposed 4g status notification.

Now here are some bugs and quirks I dont care for.

-The gallery icon now shows every folder, this includes music folders with artwork. Is there anyway to have the gallery set to just browsing the "pictures folder" and "dcim" folder like previously?

-when you receive a call, there are now like 3 options to answer, one of them being to send an instant text saying something like "i am busy" or some poo poo. I think thats really stupid, and the general swipe up to accept down to decline gesture is a reflex now, is there some way to kill that text send option and have a simple way to accept calls? I tend to get the most calls when asleep ironically and id rather not keep declining important calls from sluggish thumb movements.

- Here's something kinda odd, the led light in the front wont that turn on and notify you when your device is charging. Apparently, its a razr thing, but the work around is that there is an app for forced LED notifications which you can also edit the color of the led light. I found that pretty spiffy.

-Didnt work on my charger that came with the thunderbolt, the microusb works perfect and charges my TB, but not my razr m. I don't know if this means anything.

- APKs from games are now not installing correctly. They did on my unrooted thunderbolt, and the same ones worked when I did root it. I dont know if this is an ICS thing or something. I'm sure this is for another topic though.

- I had to transfer my texts from my thunderbolt to my razr m cause the verizon guy couldnt do it for some reason. I used the app "sms back up and restore" if anyone was wondering. It did the trick, except it couldnt transfer pics. Oh well.

And, thats it for now.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dr Blah PhD posted:

-when you receive a call, there are now like 3 options to answer, one of them being to send an instant text saying something like "i am busy" or some poo poo. I think thats really stupid, and the general swipe up to accept down to decline gesture is a reflex now, is there some way to kill that text send option and have a simple way to accept calls? I tend to get the most calls when asleep ironically and id rather not keep declining important calls from sluggish thumb movements.

-Didnt work on my charger that came with the thunderbolt, the microusb works perfect and charges my TB, but not my razr m. I don't know if this means anything.

1) That's not unique to your phone, it's part of Android.

2) Compare how much power your TB charger and Razr charger provide. My guess is that the Razr needs to draw more power, and your TB charger can't provide enough. I see the problem with my Kindle. My phone charger won't charge the Kindle, but the Kindle charger will charge my phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I have yet to play with the MAXX HD but how does the screen compare to the Razr M or the regular MAXX? My dad has the original and honestly it's a terrible screen. I'm contemplating getting the MAXX HD as my Gnex is starting to show age and I'm hating the battery life.

Really I'm at a toss up between the Note 2 as well. Think that might be too big of a phone than I'd really need as after using it for a few days was happy to use my GNex that fit really well in my hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the answer call options, gallery behavior, and lack of LED while charging are all stock android things. You were basically used to Sense behavior.

On another note, they aren't calling for rain tomorrow, but I have indications that my RAZR HD MAXX may get soaked...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Super Dude posted:

If you don't care about the camera, than the Razr MAXX HD is the better phone because of it's better physical build quality and battery life. All your contacts/emails are backed up, but you'll need to re-download any of your apps. Don't forget to move any pictures over to your new phone yourself since this is something that ISN'T automatically done by Google!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't forget to move any pictures over to your new phone yourself since this is something that ISN'T automatically done by Google!

They're all on Google+.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin

Super Dude posted:

1) That's not unique to your phone, it's part of Android.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the answer call options, gallery behavior, and lack of LED while charging are all stock android things. You were basically used to Sense behavior.

On another note, they aren't calling for rain tomorrow, but I have indications that my RAZR HD MAXX may get soaked...

Well, I admit I'm behind on phones because of my early model. Ive never touched ICS, but I have a nexus 7 so Im slightly familiar with some features.

Anyways, now that I upgraded to 4.1, Im even less enthused about it.
-No mass storage device
-foxfi doesnt work

Any work arounds, solutions?

edit- I know you can d/l the device manager, but because I connect my phone to several friends PCs for various reasons, Id rather have that option enabled.

Dr Blah PhD fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 3, 2012

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

I have yet to play with the MAXX HD but how does the screen compare to the Razr M or the regular MAXX? My dad has the original and honestly it's a terrible screen. I'm contemplating getting the MAXX HD as my Gnex is starting to show age and I'm hating the battery life.

Really I'm at a toss up between the Note 2 as well. Think that might be too big of a phone than I'd really need as after using it for a few days was happy to use my GNex that fit really well in my hand.

It's light years ahead of the M or plain Maxx. It's crisper to me than the S3 because the S3 seems horribly over saturated, and the Gnex almost doesn't count because you can only use it like ten minutes a day because of the battery life. The note looks like a cartoon by comparison. Yes it's pentile blah blah, but if you don't have a One X or DNA sitting next to it you will not even see a difference.

Something to consider with the HD and the maxx: You won't have to worry about your battery dying so you can bump up the brightness of the screen and still have it last longer than you would with auto brightness on the s3. I got like 36 hours out of my HD and it was only around 25 percent. That was the selling point of the motorolas for me. I knew I could use the phone at a good brightness level in the way that i wanted without worrying I'd run out of juice 3 hours later or something.

Also, build quality loving rules and is so much nicer than the S3 it's just silly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Well, I admit I'm behind on phones because of my early model. Ive never touched ICS, but I have a nexus 7 so Im slightly familiar with some features.

Anyways, now that I upgraded to 4.1, Im even less enthused about it.
-No mass storage device
-foxfi doesnt work

Any work arounds, solutions?

edit- I know you can d/l the device manager, but because I connect my phone to several friends PCs for various reasons, Id rather have that option enabled.

Foxfi is flakey and now is an overpriced pay app. So gently caress it, Root and move on.

And, Mass storage matters very little. Just explore the device as mtp, you can still drag and drop poo poo to it. Its not a problem, or an issue. I do it on my gnex all the time on multiple computers and the magical internets installs the drivers it needs. Seriously dont stress it, give mtp a shot. And if you're using your phone as a thumb drive, Just get one of those tiny keychain ones or something. Id be scared to plug my phone into friends computers, hell everyone I know is a moron with that stuff and have virus filled hate monsters.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Super Dude posted:

2) Compare how much power your TB charger and Razr charger provide. My guess is that the Razr needs to draw more power, and your TB charger can't provide enough. I see the problem with my Kindle. My phone charger won't charge the Kindle, but the Kindle charger will charge my phone.

um, what?

(micro)USB cable is still (micro)USB cable. Kindles and Nexus tablets and even TB/Razr draw pretty much the same power as it's all a USB cable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

um, what?

(micro)USB cable is still (micro)USB cable. Kindles and Nexus tablets and even TB/Razr draw pretty much the same power as it's all a USB cable.

Nope. My Nexus 7 charger pulls 2 A, phone charger 1 A, and Nook charger 0.85 A. Plug that USB cable into your computer and you'll only draw 0.5 A!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

notwithoutmyanus posted:

um, what?

The wall adapter, not the cable. Read the small text on each of your adapters.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
So on my RAZR Maxx HD can I store/move all my apps to the SD card before they replace my phone? So that way I don't have to reinstall everything on my replacement phone?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

um, what?

That should be how it is, as its a standard and everything, but its not. I've seen plenty of cases like there where a specific charger doesn't work on a specific phone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Super Dude posted:

I don't suppose they give any sort of hard release dates on items they show there?
Not really. I think it took ~9 months for stuff like the Transformer Infinity to release after its debut at last CES.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, CES can be broken down like this.

10% of the stuff shown off there will be released within 3 months.
15% of the stuff shown off there will be released within 9 months.
25% of the stuff shown off there will show up at CES the next year
50% of the stuff shown off there is pure vaporware and never comes out

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I'm just going to put this out there. As far as desserts go, Jelly Beans photograph better than Ice Cream (especially of the sandwich variety.)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, CES can be broken down like this.

10% of the stuff shown off there will be released within 3 months.
15% of the stuff shown off there will be released within 9 months.
25% of the stuff shown off there will show up at CES the next year
50% of the stuff shown off there is pure vaporware and never comes out

CES2010 and tablets was like 99% never released.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm just going to put this out there. As far as desserts go, Jelly Beans photograph better than Ice Cream (especially of the sandwich variety.)

Did you get your HD update already?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On Terra Firma posted:

Did you get your HD update already?

If that were the case, I certainly couldn't talk about it. I'm simply remarking that one is more colorful than the other (especially in lower light) which makes for better photos.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

If that were the case, I certainly couldn't talk about it. I'm simply remarking that one is more colorful than the other (especially in lower light) which makes for better photos.

Considering Engadget is reporting the update is rolling out, I'm not sure you need to be coy about anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Considering Engadget is reporting the update is rolling out, I'm not sure you need to be coy about anything.

They are idiots, it isn't. It's not being rolled out till this weekend. Anyone who is getting it today is in the soak test user's group and aren't allowed to talk about it.

The soak test is gigantic though, something like 20,000 people.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 3, 2012

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
okay, anyone know why winamp wont show album art on jellybean? I was using album art grabber on my thunderbolt and on ICS and everything was okay, now when winamp generates a list of albums, the artwork is gone, except for the albums that have the "folder" pic from manually searching for cover art.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I think I may have talked myself out of getting the Note 2 after all. I've read a couple places that the Note 2 on vzw gets around 12-18 hours on a full charge. Frankly, that's not enough. I think I'm going to flipp my Maxx and grab the Maxx HD. When I had my Galaxy Nexus, I really enjoyed having the software keys. I think I would like to have them again with the Maxx HD. I can deal with the less than super camera and the smaller screen knowing the Maxx HD's battery virtually never dies, regardless what I throw at it.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

bull3964 posted:

They are idiots, it isn't. It's not being rolled out till this weekend. Anyone who is getting it today is in the soak test user's group and aren't allowed to talk about it.

The soak test is gigantic though, something like 20,000 people.

Can you still disable/hide apps in JB? I thought I read something about this no longer being possible, but it might be confabulation.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW
I had a couple questions about buying a phone from Amazon. If there's a technical fault with the phone, do I have to return it to Amazon directly, or will any Verizon store honor the warranty? Also, if I decide I dislike the phone during the 14 day period, who handles that return as well? If I return it, am I even eligible for a replacement at that point or is it consumed since I used a third party to buy the phone? Sorry if these are retard questions, I'm just completely out of my element here and I'd really like to get the RAZR M for a penny. :(

EDIT: Additional question, when selecting a plan, I currently have 4GB data on my plan, since I'm upgrading will I have to pay the extra $20/mo to keep that 4GB? At that point, I might be better off buying it from Verizon directly.

EDIT EDIT: I just called them and they cannot grandfather existing plans. And they raised the price of the M to $24.99, I'll just pay the extra $25 and keep my data.

mwells_cubed fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 4, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

XarsonX posted:

Can you still disable/hide apps in JB?

Yes.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I buy a 4G LTE phone out of pocket and activate it on a grandfathered unlimited account, do I get unlimited 4G from it? Or only 3G? And if I do get 4G LTE, how "unlimited" is it really? From what I've read, the answer to the the first question is yes, and Verizon seems to only throttle the top 3G users while leaving heavy 4G users untouched.

If that's the case, how crazy would I be to just replace my wired internet connection with tethered 4G? The 4G speeds in my area seems to be pretty good, and if unlimited really means unlimited then I can stand shelling out for an off-contract S3 or something like that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

If I buy a 4G LTE phone out of pocket and activate it on a grandfathered unlimited account, do I get unlimited 4G from it? Or only 3G? And if I do get 4G LTE, how "unlimited" is it really? From what I've read, the answer to the the first question is yes, and Verizon seems to only throttle the top 3G users while leaving heavy 4G users untouched.

If that's the case, how crazy would I be to just replace my wired internet connection with tethered 4G? The 4G speeds in my area seems to be pretty good, and if unlimited really means unlimited then I can stand shelling out for an off-contract S3 or something like that.

Yes. And I usually use like 5-10gb a month thanks to netflix and google music and I've never been throttled.

Very crazy. You're going to get switched to a tiered data plan and signed up for tethering too if you decide to do something as dumb as this.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

right arm posted:

Yes. And I usually use like 5-10gb a month thanks to netflix and google music and I've never been throttled.

Very crazy. You're going to get switched to a tiered data plan and signed up for tethering too if you decide to do something as dumb as this.

Currently at 80 gigs this month. No throttling. We use my phone at the ladies house for netflix, plex, both our laptops. Dont think they really care to be honest.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

EbolaIvory posted:

Currently at 80 gigs this month. No throttling. We use my phone at the ladies house for netflix, plex, both our laptops. Dont think they really care to be honest.

:stare: I'm suddenly less concerned about the data the Note 2 seems to chug with wild abandon.

HQ Youtube on this can pull actual 720p videos, a lot more data per video than my last phone did. About 5k Kbps. I used more data watching a video today while my oil was changed than all last month of streaming music. Crazy. Reeeeeeally glad I managed to keep unlimited.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateDentist posted:

:stare: I'm suddenly less concerned about the data the Note 2 seems to chug with wild abandon.

HQ Youtube on this can pull actual 720p videos, a lot more data per video than my last phone did. About 5k Kbps. I used more data watching a video today while my oil was changed than all last month of streaming music. Crazy. Reeeeeeally glad I managed to keep unlimited.

It has 100% stopped customer service and retail sales reps from trying to get us to switch to family share though.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

PirateDentist posted:

It really makes you wonder; how long do you think verizon will let people who have grandfathered unlimited data keep it? I for one abuse it with reckless abandon, and why not? Cash spent for services rendered.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dr Blah PhD posted:

-The gallery icon now shows every folder, this includes music folders with artwork. Is there anyway to have the gallery set to just browsing the "pictures folder" and "dcim" folder like previously?
Create a new blank file named whatever.txt. Rename the file from whatever.txt to ".nomedia". Throw a copy of that .nomedia file everywhere you don't want it to scan. Hopefully you don't use the default android music player because that will probably prevent it from looking for mp3s in those music folders.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

cuedotcom posted:

It really makes you wonder; how long do you think verizon will let people who have grandfathered unlimited data keep it? I for one abuse it with reckless abandon, and why not? Cash spent for services rendered.

When they feel that the backlash from killing it completely will be outweighed by the profits.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004

cuedotcom posted:

June 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GamerMage posted:

June 28, 2014

Anything special about that date?

• Locked thread