Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aatrek posted:

Arise, thread! 9-minute Dark Knight Rises-style IMAX preview with The Hobbit in December:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/14/breaking-9-minute-preview-of-star-trek-into-darkness-to-debut-in-imax-3d-on-december-14/

gently caress. It looks like I have to chose between IMAX and see this, or the high frame rate, which I want to see more, and miss the preview. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

coffeetable posted:

Jim & Spock's Excellent Adventure

Jim Jim's Bizarre Adventure: Star Trek Crusaders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

aBagorn posted:

Ugh, I despise 3D movies (I have a problem viewing them), so I won't be able to see this.

Wear an eyepatch.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

aBagorn posted:

Ugh, I despise 3D movies (I have a problem viewing them), so I won't be able to see this.

I feel the same way. Trying to put 3D glasses on top of my normal glasses is a huge pain for 2 hours. I suppose I could buy contacts, but I'm not going to buy contacts just so I can watch 3D movies once a year.

If only they'd come out with retinax V already.

EDIT: VVV Well, doesn't mean I don't want it invented for everyone else :colbert:

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 28, 2012

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Apple Jax posted:

I feel the same way. Trying to put 3D glasses on top of my normal glasses is a huge pain for 2 hours. I suppose I could buy contacts, but I'm not going to buy contacts just so I can watch 3D movies once a year.

If only they'd come out with retinax V already.

But you're allergic to Retinax V!

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
The official website has been posted, along with the official poster:

https://www.startrekmovie.com

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The synopsis actually made me smile.

In the last movie and now seemingly in this one they seem to have gone out of their way to take the old fan complaint of "Oh, right, they're the only ship in the quadrant! No one else can help! Has to be Enterprise!" and said "gently caress it. We're gonna make goddamn sure they're not only the only ship in the quadrant, but the only ship in the loving GALAXY".

Made me laugh thinking about it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Crow_Robot posted:

So I suppose it's gotta be the Gary Mitchell plot line, right?

I'm down with that. One of the few TOS season 1 episodes I legitimately enjoyed watching.
If they are doing the thing where the comics are actually canon along with the movies then it actually isn't Gary Mitchell as he's all ready dead.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Looks good man.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
So Into Darkness refers to how it looks like someone brushed against the dimmer switch for the film when you watch it with 3D glasses?

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 3, 2012

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

935 posted:

Looks good man.

Huh, there's a lot of London in that image.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

ComposerGuy posted:

The synopsis actually made me smile.

In the last movie and now seemingly in this one they seem to have gone out of their way to take the old fan complaint of "Oh, right, they're the only ship in the quadrant! No one else can help! Has to be Enterprise!" and said "gently caress it. We're gonna make goddamn sure they're not only the only ship in the quadrant, but the only ship in the loving GALAXY".

Made me laugh thinking about it.
They could literally fly the Enterprise through something called a "Plott Hole" and I wouldn't care because they have an energetic young cast and they're telling exciting space stories, dammit.

Adventure films don't need to explain everything away. There's no explanation as to how Indiana Jones or Clint Eastwood manages to get caught up in all these crazy adventures. You just accept that he's the guy who does all these things. That's the fun of it.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

935 posted:

Looks good man.

Wait a minute

This is going to be the new "orange and blue" isn't it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Huh, there's a lot of London in that image.

Well Benedict Cumberbatch is English.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BowieFett posted:

Wait a minute

This is going to be the new "orange and blue" isn't it?
No. It's called negative space. The association is tenuous at best. Art cannot be flawed by association.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Ahh come OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! I was really hoping there would be a huge space battle, with multiple starfleet ships in this one! :argh:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
3d movies bother you huh?

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e9b4/

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

casa de mi padre posted:

They could literally fly the Enterprise through something called a "Plott Hole" and I wouldn't care because they have an energetic young cast and they're telling exciting space stories, dammit.

Adventure films don't need to explain everything away. There's no explanation as to how Indiana Jones or Clint Eastwood manages to get caught up in all these crazy adventures. You just accept that he's the guy who does all these things. That's the fun of it.

Oh I agree, it just made me laugh to think about.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Comfortador posted:

Has anyone tried these?

They're still glasses I'd have to put on top of my normal glasses :colbert:

And, I don't suppose those glasses make the movie less expensive do they? 3D movie tickets usually end up being way expensive.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Comfortador posted:

Has anyone tried these?

Your eyes would be getting half the light intended.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The only benefit I can see is if all the theatres in your area are only showing the 3D version of a film you want to see (Avengers was like this for me) and you can't stand 3D. Even then, it doesn't make the film any cheaper as mentioned.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Apple Jax posted:

They're still glasses I'd have to put on top of my normal glasses :colbert:

And, I don't suppose those glasses make the movie less expensive do they? 3D movie tickets usually end up being way expensive.

The whole point of them is so the few people who just cannot stand 3D can use them and still go see movies with the rest of their friends instead of being "that guy" that will turn down time with friends because the movie is in 3D.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

MadScientistWorking posted:

If they are doing the thing where the comics are actually canon along with the movies then it actually isn't Gary Mitchell as he's all ready dead.

Maybe they'll do something similar to that plotline but with Finnegan instead, as a shipmate of Mitchell or something. I guess he would end up being more like a Loki-type trickster god.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ApexAftermath posted:

The whole point of them is so the few people who just cannot stand 3D can use them and still go see movies with the rest of their friends instead of being "that guy" that will turn down time with friends because the movie is in 3D.

So why is he "that guy"? IMO it's more like the friends are all "that guy" for wanting to pay extra for a gimmick aimed at keeping people from bootlegging it.

But yeah, I would nerd out if they brought Gary Mitchell in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am not sure a bizarro supernatural godlike character is the right way to go with star trek at this point. Then again, I didn't think the first movie was really good either, sooo...

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure a bizarro supernatural godlike character is the right way to go with star trek at this point.
Bizarro supernatural god character sums up why I thought Q was so cool.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure a bizarro supernatural godlike character is the right way to go with star trek at this point. Then again, I didn't think the first movie was really good either, sooo...

I'm pretty sure there were at least twenty bizarre supernatural godlike characters in just the original series. To say nothing of TNG or DS9.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

That type of character is pretty much a staple of the franchise, actually.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So a 1-minute teaser will hit the Internet on Thursday.

http://www.slashfilm.com/online-onl...nto-j-j-abrams/

There's some semi-spoilery stuff in that link from someone who claims to have seen it.

quote:

I’ve seen the trailer – it doesn’t confirm that [Benedict] Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. He has a monologue where he mentions “revenge” and he looks to have stronger than human strength, so it’s a possibility.

Also, the Enterprise goes underwater. It’s going to make a beautiful desktop wallpaper :)

Benne fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 4, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Benne posted:

So a 1-minute teaser will hit the Internet on Thursday.

http://www.slashfilm.com/online-onl...nto-j-j-abrams/

There's some semi-spoilery stuff in that link from someone who claims to have seen it.

Well (comic spoilers) Given that in the comic (according to the summary I read) Kirk kills Mitchell after he gets superpowers but his body is jettisoned intact like Spock's at the end of WoK, maybe he comes back to life somehow?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Well (comic spoilers) Given that in the comic (according to the summary I read) Kirk kills Mitchell after he gets superpowers but his body is jettisoned intact like Spock's at the end of WoK, maybe he comes back to life somehow?

Would they really have the movie plot be about Mitchell using God-like powers without actually showing him get the powers and then die? I mean, background story, sure, but if they have Mitchell show up, already with God-like powers and talking about revenge, and have someone just say, "Oh, yeah, he got those powers a little while back, I thought I killed him but I guess not" that is going to be really weird.

Unless they plan on retelling the story in the comic.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

thrawn527 posted:

Would they really have the movie plot be about Mitchell using God-like powers without actually showing him get the powers and then die? I mean, background story, sure, but if they have Mitchell show up, already with God-like powers and talking about revenge, and have someone just say, "Oh, yeah, he got those powers a little while back, I thought I killed him but I guess not" that is going to be really weird.

Yeah you're right that does sound kind of silly

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Real answer is that Paramount doesn't give a drat about the comic. Although I would've thought their approval process would have nixed anything they were considering for the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FoneBone posted:

Real answer is that Paramount doesn't give a drat about the comic. Although I would've thought their approval process would have nixed anything they were considering for the movie.

Kurtzman and Orci oversee the comics; they're considered to be canon in the JJTrek universe. Everything done in the comics happens with the full approval and endorsement of them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

CPFortest posted:

I'm pretty sure there were at least twenty bizarre supernatural godlike characters in just the original series. To say nothing of TNG or DS9.

Yeaaaah, and a lot of them were terrible. And none of them made it into film. I don't know, I understand the precedent in the series, but I have a hard time seeing it working in this. Could be wrong, probably am.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeaaaah, and a lot of them were terrible. And none of them made it into film.

The plot of one of the films involves them traveling to the center of the galaxy to find a godlike alien that literally pretended to be God. Then you have the functionally magic sentient probe of TMP. They've done super-being a few times.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Timby posted:

Kurtzman and Orci oversee the comics; they're considered to be canon in the JJTrek universe. Everything done in the comics happens with the full approval and endorsement of them.

And at the sign of JJ wanting to use something in the movie, they'll drop that pretense, I have no doubts.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Benne posted:

quote:

Also, the Enterprise goes underwater. It’s going to make a beautiful desktop wallpaper :)

"Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!"
"How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?"
"Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one."

Sounds neat though.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 5, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

That all ready happened in the first movie. Why do you think its so insane it won't happen in the second? If anything given the spoilers from the previous page it actually does sound like something the Q would do.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

"Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!"
"How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?"
"Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one."

Sounds neat though.

Except that: In JJVerse, the Enterprise was built on Earth (in Iowa, no less), meaning at some point that sucker had to lift off and deal with the strain of exiting Earth's gravity and atmosphere. I'll grant you it isn't quite the same a deep-sea diving, but still.

• Locked thread