Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I didn't really follow the issue and I actually thought we were further along. At least we have full civil unions including adoption rights. Anybody know what happened to the same sex marriage bill that the Hamburg senate wanted to introcude to the Bundesrat in '11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Am I the only one who "Homo-Ehe" has a very weird ring to?
When did we stop saying "Gleichgeschlechtliche Ehe"?

We never did in the first place. I'd say Germany isn't as PC as most anglophone countries in the first place. It doesn't help that many topic names are coined by the (yellow) press, case in point: Dönermorde. Homo-Ehe on the other hand isn't marriage for homos but for homosexuals, it's just abbreviated because people are lazy.

Ententod posted:

Lots of old people here are still upholding their traditional Christian values. I suspect if Germans cared as much about their politicians' private opinions as Americans do, the CDU would be referencing their Christian beliefs a lot more often (whether true or not). They are already using the religious argument against stem cell research and medically assisted suicide. Not to forget immigration.
Our Judeo-Christian tradition :qq:

Yeah I don't think we'll see marriage equality with a C*U government within the next 20-30 years. I can see SPD and green party doing it though.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 4, 2012

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Germany went straight from the openly racist phase to the OMG IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD phase, without ever actually understanding PC language.

Look at the way the CDU/CSU was still talking about immigrants and homosexuals and social issues in general under Helmut Kohl in the 80s/early 90s. We went straight from that to "omg you can't even say xy anymore" without realizing the irony of public discussion using Dönermorde or Homoehe without blinking. And it's not a case of "it's not meant that way" either, no one would have dared to talk about Spaghetti Morde for 10 years, and recently there was a minor storm in a waterglass when several political personalities realized at the same time that some migrant youth might call Germans "Weissbrote", so we had to have outraged political talk shows about it for a couple weeks straight. Same with Homoehe, it might start out of sheer lazyness, but it's certainly not used in a neutral way by large parts of the public.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

az posted:

I didn't really follow the issue and I actually thought we were further along. At least we have full civil unions including adoption rights. Anybody know what happened to the same sex marriage bill that the Hamburg senate wanted to introcude to the Bundesrat in '11?

I thought the same, to be honest. I was really surprised that the Bundeswehr waited until 2004 to allow openly gay soldiers.

On the other hand, at least no one is campaigning on denying homosexual rights. Perhaps the only really good thing Guido Westerwelle has forced the CDU to do.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ArchangeI posted:

I thought the same, to be honest. I was really surprised that the Bundeswehr waited until 2004 to allow openly gay soldiers.

On the other hand, at least no one is campaigning on denying homosexual rights. Perhaps the only really good thing Guido Westerwelle has forced the CDU to do.

Did Westerwelle ever come out? When thinking about openly gay german politicians, only Wowereit comes to mind.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

midnightclimax posted:

Did Westerwelle ever come out? When thinking about openly gay german politicians, only Wowereit comes to mind.

Yeah, he's been out for years as far as I know, but his outing wasn't nearly as significant as Wowereit's ages ago. I remember during Westerwelle's first big world tour, several news organizations made note of his husband coming along with him (paying his own way, since he's a neurosurgeon or something).

And Lukashenko had a massive :iceburn: on Westerwelle a few months back during the height of some European criticism of his regime. I remember he said something to the effect of, "better to be labelled a tyrant than have a queer for a foreign minister" or something like that, directly referencing Westerwelle.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

midnightclimax posted:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/westerwelles-outing-guidos-inszenierte-enthuellung-a-309744.html

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Drone posted:

And Lukashenko had a massive :iceburn: on Westerwelle a few months back during the height of some European criticism of his regime. I remember he said something to the effect of, "better to be labelled a tyrant than have a queer for a foreign minister" or something like that, directly referencing Westerwelle.

That's some 4chan level of trolling there. Jesus, what an Arsch.

Ah ok. Also 2004 is pretty late, first time I heard about "Schwesterwelle" was something like mid-90s. But whatever, good for him I guess.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

elwood posted:

Let's just make marriage a religious thing and keep the state out of it. Call everything else civil unions, change the constitution to reflect it and be done with the whole mess.

This is a terrible idea. Why let bigots control the discourse?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

midnightclimax posted:

That's some 4chan level of trolling there. Jesus, what an Arsch.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/besser-diktator-als-schwul-lukaschenko-beschimpft-westerwelle-a-819206.html

"Ich sage mir, besser Diktator sein als schwul."

:belarus:

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

So I have a couple things to say about nuclear power in Germany, and wonder what you all think.

Here's the Breakthrough Institute's assessment of Germany's state of the sector, showing how the nuclear phaseout jeopardizes emissions goals: http://thebreakthrough.org/archive/analysis_germanys_plan_to_phas

A resultant semi-advocacy for some more nuclear: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/09/07/out_of_the_nuclear_closet

The short version of what they, as I understand it: By decommissioning nuclear power, Germany now must go from 17% renewables in their electric sector to 57% in just 8 years. There is no reason to think that they can do this given their wind and solar resources, the lack of an even remote precedent for such an accomplishment, and the Germans' aggressive hedging by installing more coal capacity and preparing to import nuclear-sourced electrons to their grid from places like France and Lithuania.

What say you all about this? I'd personally love to disbelieve it, but I feel a bit constrained by the data at this point.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

goethe42 posted:

Not from the train conductor but from the ticket inspector, who allegedly said it when waiting for the police after Mrs.Wevelsiep
- didn't have a valid ticket when controlled
- refused to pay the increased fare/fine for not having a valid ticket
- refused to show identification
which would make it likely that the Nazi slur came first and the "we are not in Africa" was a reaction of the ticket inspector to being called a Nazi by a generally uncooperative and argumentative passenger.

Anecdotally I've seen this happen a few times in FFM public transporation, captured "Schwarzfahrer"(person without a valid ticket) being argumentative and insulting assholes, while the ticket inspectors stayed polite.
In one case it went as far as calling the ticket inspector "Nazi Scherge" that had lost her job in one Sachsenhausen to continue it in the other one. But that was a drunk little punk. Still, it doesn't explain the injuries, but it's a more likely chain of events than racism out of the blue in a city with nearly 40 % minorities.

This, of course, fully excuses an entirely unrelated person being beaten to a pulp. Good thinking, way to loving go son.

By the way, when we're already at anecdotal evidence to excuse RMV inspectors (for whatever reason, given the people involved and the incident are entirely unrelated) I have plenty of anecdotes to paint them as major scumbags, not that it matters, because once again, poo poo is unrelated.

Hasardeur
Nov 19, 2012
The "Energiewende" will be a clusterfuck of epic proportions

we actually had days where the whole nation was powered by renewable energy, and one of the major problems (during sunny/windy days anyway) is that we often produce too much energy and basically have to pay our neighboring countries to keep our power grid from clogging up. On other days, when we can't produce enough renewable energy, we need to run old-fashioned backup power plants, many of which are not profitable anymore and have been closed down for years (the government is actually trying to force energy companies to re-start said power plants).

photovoltaic cells are receiving massive subsidies which caused a huge solar energy boom that is now partly responsible for overloading our power grid on a regular basis and pushing conventional power plants out of business, in a country that isn't really well-suited for that kind of energy source anyway. The construction of wind turbines along the coast proceeds much slower and is far more costly than anticipated, oh and nearly all of the regions that require the most energy are in the South and we currently don't really have the infrastructure to transfer the electricity across the country (this, again, will be very expensive).

And the funny thing is that modern nuclear power plants are completely safe and this is all just the result of the angst that was steered up by the media.

Hasardeur fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 5, 2012

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
So this is a thing: https://www.facebook.com/hipsterantifa

Hipster Antifa Neukoelln...

I guess the level of foreigner hating is actually reaching a critical level, and people are trying to do something. Maybe the civic government should try and enact laws against property investors or something.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I bet that most of those tourist and new berliners hating idiots are not native Berliners themselves, but people who moved there slightly earlier.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

elwood posted:

I bet that most of those tourist and new berliners hating idiots are not native Berliners themselves, but people who moved there slightly earlier.

A read a statistic that states that only about half of all Berliners were actually born here in the city, whereas the other half (like me) moved there from elsewhere in Germany/from abroad.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hasardeur posted:

And the funny thing is that modern nuclear power plants are completely safe and this is all just the result of the angst that was steered up by the media.

The problem here is that we don't have any (actually) modern nuclear plants in this country, the newest started construction in 1982. Thats 30 years. Hell, some are from the mid-70s. And if the corporations would have their way even the oldest ones would be still running because they're paid off and are making money the longer they run.
The whole nuclear thing is pretty hosed up in the first place, a for-profit should not be running something as highly dangerous as a nuclear plant. Iran can't have a nuke plant but Vattenfall can? A lot of what happened in Japan can ultimately be traced back to cost-reduction / profit-maximization. Then there's the fact that the corporations keep most of what they make from nuclear energy yet pay poo poo-all for waste storage. In the good-old days they even used to just dump those barrels into the Atlantic ocean.

In the end it doesn't really matter though, if something happens in France we're hosed as well. And there's no chance in hell they will get rid of nuclear power unless a plant blows up right next to Paris.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Drone posted:

A read a statistic that states that only about half of all Berliners were actually born here in the city, whereas the other half (like me) moved there from elsewhere in Germany/from abroad.

I was born in Berlin and you can all get out!

az
Dec 2, 2005

The Brown Menace posted:

major scumbags, not that it matters, because once again, poo poo is unrelated.

Fun story, Hamburgs rail service once tried to sue me because a friends young child scribbled on my season pass with a pen and they claimed I was trying to fake it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Drone posted:

Well that's certainly one way to interpret the Wiedervereinigung.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

elwood posted:

The main issue seems to be Scandinavian firms (they're the most notorious) as well as now everyone else from all over Europe parking their money in Berlin real-estate because Germany is a very safe investment compared to Greece/Spain/Italy/Portugal, because as everyone knows those other countries were investment zones but they've crashed hard. When rents rise at a rate of over 5% per year it's a problem, but it's not individual foreigners loving things up, it's property investors.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
And oh man breaking news: http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2012-12/npd-verbot-innenministerkonferenz-2

They're trying to ban the NPD again. Hopefully there can be some success so foreigners like me can stop laughing that Germans still allow Nazis on the ballot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Landsknecht posted:

And oh man breaking news: http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2012-12/npd-verbot-innenministerkonferenz-2

They're trying to ban the NPD again. Hopefully there can be some success so foreigners like me can stop laughing that Germans still allow Nazis on the ballot.

If it falls through again I hope we at least get reports again about how a sizable part of the NPD leadership consists of V-Männer. The fact that a political party is mostly run by people who are paid to infiltrate it never stops being amusing to me.

Hasardeur
Nov 19, 2012
something that I read a while ago in The Spiegel that really surprised me is Germans seem to spend more money for vacations/traveling than any other nation in the world, including the US (not %, but total). You know, that's 80 million Germans compared to 315 million Americans.

unfortunately, I can't find the article right now

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Hasardeur posted:

something that I read a while ago in The Spiegel that really surprised me is Germans seem to spend more money for vacations/traveling than any other nation in the world, including the US (not %, but total). You know, that's 80 million Germans compared to 315 million Americans.

unfortunately, I can't find the article right now

I work in the travel business and that would REALLY surprise me.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Well germans have weeks of holiday a year as opposed to days.

Hasardeur
Nov 19, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

I work in the travel business and that would REALLY surprise me.

found this, from 2010
http://united-states-canada.knoji.com/10-countries-that-spend-the-most-money-on-travel-each-year/

but to be fair, this is only true for international travel and, well, the US is a huge country. Still impressive

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

If it falls through again I hope we at least get reports again about how a sizable part of the NPD leadership consists of V-Männer. The fact that a political party is mostly run by people who are paid to infiltrate it never stops being amusing to me.

It's the greatest success of the intelligence agency, I mean they're much too busy infiltrating the NPD to figure out when foreigners/cops are going to be murdered by a terror cell.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

The main issue seems to be Scandinavian firms (they're the most notorious) as well as now everyone else from all over Europe parking their money in Berlin real-estate because Germany is a very safe investment compared to Greece/Spain/Italy/Portugal, because as everyone knows those other countries were investment zones but they've crashed hard. When rents rise at a rate of over 5% per year it's a problem, but it's not individual foreigners loving things up, it's property investors.

How are Scandinavian firms infamous in Germany? I'm curious to know. I mean there have been cases in the third world of Norwegian companies pretty much involved in slave labour and then there's the usual mess with Statoil. What are Scandinavian capitalists doing to Germany?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Randarkman posted:

How are Scandinavian firms infamous in Germany? I'm curious to know. I mean there have been cases in the third world of Norwegian companies pretty much involved in slave labour and then there's the usual mess with Statoil. What are Scandinavian capitalists doing to Germany?

Danish investors have bought a shitload of apartment buildings in Berlin for what is a really low price to them, renovated them a bit then jacked up the rent by 300%. Other companies do this, but converting buildings to nicer units then raising rent by a huge amount is responsible for the middle of the city becoming less and less affordable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

niethan posted:

Well germans have weeks of holiday a year as opposed to days.

In addition to that it's pretty easy to get to a number of culturally quite different countries fairly quickly. Most places in France, Greece, Great Britain, Scandinavia etc. can be reached in just a single day of driving or a few hours of flight. In the US you'd have to travel that long just to reach your own borders.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

Danish investors have bought a shitload of apartment buildings in Berlin for what is a really low price to them, renovated them a bit then jacked up the rent by 300%. Other companies do this, but converting buildings to nicer units then raising rent by a huge amount is responsible for the middle of the city becoming less and less affordable.

Yes, that's pretty much like the Scandinavian approach to real estate in a nutshell.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

wayfinder posted:

I was born in Berlin and you can all get out!

East or West? Neither? Then you're too young to tell people to get out! :corsair:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Soap Bat Derby posted:

East or West? Neither? Then you're too young to tell people to get out! :corsair:

pshhh West of course.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Landsknecht posted:

It's the greatest success of the intelligence agency, I mean they're much too busy infiltrating the NPD to figure out when foreigners/cops are going to be murdered by a terror cell.

Those devious Nazis kept the investigators busy by letting them run their party for them.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri posted:

The whole nuclear thing is pretty hosed up in the first place, a for-profit should not be running something as highly dangerous as a nuclear plant. Iran can't have a nuke plant but Vattenfall can? A lot of what happened in Japan can ultimately be traced back to cost-reduction / profit-maximization. Then there's the fact that the corporations keep most of what they make from nuclear energy yet pay poo poo-all for waste storage. In the good-old days they even used to just dump those barrels into the Atlantic ocean.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/akw-philippsburg-mitarbeiter-erheben-schwere-vorwuerfe-gegen-enbw-a-872817.html

Spiegel Online posted:

Berlin - Der Brief ist sechs Seiten lang und eng bedruckt. Er stammt vom 7. Dezember 2012 und ist unterzeichnet von einem "besorgten Mitarbeiter". Der Betreff: die "aktuelle Situation im Kernkraftwerk Philippsburg".

Die ist, folgt man dem Schreiben, seit geraumer Zeit chaotisch. Das Motto "Sicherheit vor Wirtschaftlichkeit" werde in der baden-württembergischen Atomanlage derzeit mit Füßen getreten. Dies vor allem, seit der ältere Block 1 im Mai 2011 endgültig stillgelegt wurde. Seither, so die Vorwürfe, gehe es "nur noch um Fragen, wie können die Kosten des abgeschalteten Blockes gesenkt werden. Welche Systeme können auch ohne Stilllegungsgenehmigung außer Betrieb genommen werden, auf welche Prüfungen kann verzichtet werden, wie kann dies dem Sachverständigen bestmöglich 'verkauft' werden."
  • Konkret soll im November eine wichtige Beckenkühlpumpe, welche die hochradioaktiven Brennelemente kühlt, "durch Fehlverhalten kaputt gefahren" worden sein - ohne dass das Ereignis gemeldet worden wäre.
  • Das gleiche gelte für einen Zwischenfall Anfang September, damals sei Wasserstoffperoxid bei der Anlieferung ausgetreten.
  • Darüber hinaus seien großflächig defekte Gebäudefugen im Notspeisegebäude entdeckt worden, durch die "im Brandfall ein Feuer ungehindert in weitere Räume vordringen" könnte. Auch darauf sei nicht sachgemäß reagiert worden.
[...]

It's from an anonymous source but I don't doubt it's true. I live ~30km away and I cannot wait for the day they're only able to mismanage non-nuclear plants.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Sereri posted:

Notspeisegebäude

Hört sich an wie eine Einrichtung, in der Hungerstreikende zwangsernährt werden. Das hässlichste Wort der deutschen Sprache ist für mich "Knirps", aber "Speise" kommt gleich danach :).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So... No one wants to say anything regarding that bomb at the train station in Bonn? Aparently the only reason it did not explode was a malfunction. We kind of dodged a bullet there.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

So... No one wants to say anything regarding that bomb at the train station in Bonn? Aparently the only reason it did not explode was a malfunction. We kind of dodged a bullet there.

Must have been Muslims, Germans don't make engineering mistakes :godwinning:

I mean, apparently they used a lightbulb instead of a fuse? That is the second time we were spared a major attack because the terrorists didn't pay attention in bomb-making 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noahdraron
Jun 1, 2011

God Loves Ugly
I guess Al Qaeda doesn't hate us as much as other nations but they feel they have to make at least a token effort every now and then and send some rookie to do the job, what with resources being scarce and all. They couldn't even be bothered to find a good target. Seriously, who cares about loving Bonn?