Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

nerdbot posted:

That's what I figure Nintendo expected, but my TV just turns the Input menu on and off every time I tap the Input button. Definitely more a TV thing than a problem with the remote features.

My TV did the same thing, but I finally got it to work with the A button to confirm the input change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BioTech posted:

Just a tip, you can change which moves have shortcuts on the gamepads. However, this option is tucked away somewhere in the shopping screen where you customize your character's outfit, so it is quite hard to find.

Yea, I already found this and made sure it was harder to perform moves in the lists. I kind of wish you could do it a little more on the fly though, at the moment you really have to play the character and see what the moves are like before you can make a real decision.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How long did it take for Ps3, Xbox 360 and Wii to drop their prices? I wonder how long I gotta wait to save a couple of bucks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MustardMaster posted:

How long did it take for Ps3, Xbox 360 and Wii to drop their prices? I wonder how long I gotta wait to save a couple of bucks.

The first chance of a price drop will probably be to combat the launch of whoever comes next.

Before a formal drop though, next year expect to see some good bundle deals around the holidays.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MustardMaster posted:

The Wii took like four years before sales starting letting up, it really depends on how hot the console is.

The Wu is pretty lukewarm, and I have a feeling that it's going to stay that way until it has some must-have exclusives. So yeah, expect a price drop when the other consoles come out in like two years.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone noticed the back button in Nintendo land makes the same noise as the first note of the sound when you turn a Gamecube on?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

MustardMaster posted:

360 was almost 2 years to lower the price but even then it was only $50 for premium and like $20 for arcade. If the next wave of consoles are priced to compete with the Wii U it'd speed things up but that seems somewhat unlikely

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Wu is pretty lukewarm, and I have a feeling that it's going to stay that way until it has some must-have exclusives. So yeah, expect a price drop when the other consoles come out in like two years.

Things are still up in the air because nothing's announced, but all signs are pointing to new system launches happening fall 2013, not 2014.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I'll (hopefully) be getting the black bundle by early January, and I plan on getting most of my games from the eShop (except when I go bargain-bin shopping). I figure by the end of 2014, I'll have enough points for a free game, and there will probably be some must-have 1st party title by then. I think I'll make ZombiU and Arkham City my first two purchases. Can anyone report the download times for either of those games, or similarly beefy ones?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Wii took like four years before sales starting letting up, it really depends on how hot the console is.

PS4 and the NextBox will most likely ship next Holiday. Otherwise we'd be hearing about 2014 games for PS3/360 as opposed to some games for the next-gen (Star Wars 1313) while all current gen games are getting crammed into 2013. Look at February's release calendar (well, the entire first quarter, really), it was nuts the last time I heard.

That said, next Holiday is too soon for a price drop; didn't the 3DS even take longer than a year for its hugely surprising drop? I expect there to be killer bundles, but no formal price drop within a year of release.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 4, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I don't care if e shop games cody asf much ad retail and you can't trade them our whatever, swapping discs sucks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MustardMaster posted:

After doing some quick googling...

360 took 21 months for the Premium to drop $50 from $400 to $350, and the Core to drop $20 from $300 to $280
PS3 took 8 months for the 60GB to drop $100 from $600 to $500, with a new 80GB Motorstorm bundle coming in at $600.
Wii took 22 months for the system to drop $50 from $250 to $200.

I don't know... I'd much rather pay $50 today and get to play some new games for the next 2 years. Right?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Rake Arms posted:

I think I'll make ZombiU and Arkham City my first two purchases. Can anyone report the download times for either of those games, or similarly beefy ones?

I have to ask, do you not currently have a 360 or PS3 that could otherwise play Arkham City? I just mention it because both those versions don't suffer from the framerate choppiness that the WiiU Arkham City does, and at this point, you can tend to find the Game of the Year edition for those versions for $10-20 instead of paying $60 for the WiiU version with framerate issues.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

japtor posted:

Does it have it all integrated or is this all just being done through the community board?

It's just all being done through the community board. The mission select screen shows your best time so people are just posting screenshots of that.

Also I checked before I left for work and someone beat my time. This will not stand (once I get home).

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 4, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gamecube controller was brilliant, but it only worked for Cube games. It was rear end for playing emulated games or games that didn't have it in mind. Try playing Super Metroid on it. An exercise in futility.

I did play through Super Metroid on a Gamecube controller, actually. It wasn't ideal, but Super Metroid is one of the handful of SNES games on the Virtual Console that has a controller configuration menu and I was able to map a good setup with that. I love the Gamecube controller overall but that gap between the B and Y buttons is murder for certain games.

Soul Glo posted:

That said, next Holiday is too soon for a price drop; didn't the 3DS even take longer than a year for its hugely surprising drop?

Nope, it only took about 5 months. The Ambassador Program was a bandage meant to appease the poor saps loyal customers who bought it for $250 and then watched Nintendo cut the price in August. It turned out to be the right move in the end.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

thefncrow posted:

I have to ask, do you not currently have a 360 or PS3 that could otherwise play Arkham City? I just mention it because both those versions don't suffer from the framerate choppiness that the WiiU Arkham City does, and at this point, you can tend to find the Game of the Year edition for those versions for $10-20 instead of paying $60 for the WiiU version with framerate issues.

The Wii version does come with all the DLC too... Aside from Black Friday, GOTY edition hasn't fallen below $30 on Amazon http://lightningdrops.com/product/B007SRM5U6

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

PS4 and the NextBox will most likely ship next Holiday. Otherwise we'd be hearing about 2014 games for PS3/360 as opposed to some games for the next-gen (Star Wars 1313)

That and the Metal Gear game are planned for this gen actually.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Batmans framerate issues hasn't impeded my ability to play the heck out of it and love to death the off tv play feature.
Btw off tv mode is the greatest thing to have when your running a fever of 102 and want to hallucinate about mario and batman.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Crazy. At E3 it was running off of a pc, and they were coy about which generation they were aiming for. Must have been up in the air at least. Knew about Metal Gear though.

I still would be genuinely surprised if at least Microsoft or Sony didn't drop a console next Christmas though. Those dev kits have already been out for a while as it is.

Regardless, if Nintendo pulls out a price drop after one year on their home console, poo poo has hit the fan. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Besides, like the guy above me said, just pay the $50 and play games now. I'd say $50 (the most likely drop) isn't worth waiting even a year for.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2012

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Astro7x posted:

The Wii version does come with all the DLC too... Aside from Black Friday, GOTY edition hasn't fallen below $30 on Amazon http://lightningdrops.com/product/B007SRM5U6

I haven't really been looking at the prices for Batman seriously since I already have it on 360 and PC, but I could swear I saw deals other than Amazon's BF of late that had Arkham City around $15.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Star Wars 1313 might be planned for this gen, in the terms of "There will be a 360/PS3 version", but what they showed at E3 is not possible on PS3 or 360. The game they were showing off was, at the very least, a high-end PC version. Seeing as how basically no one is in the market to make high-end PC-only games at this point, that leads you to believe that they didn't put all this effort into making something that high-end without consoles which would support that work. They just couldn't outright say this was a Durango/Orbis title since neither Sony or MS had yet confirmed the existence of those systems.

Same thing with Watch Dogs, which, similarly, was said will have a 360/PS3 release, which I believe. It'll just be one of those games in the range where you get games releasing on both the old and new generations.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I still don't buy Star Wars 1313 being just a current gen title. It just looks way too good to be in the realm of PS3/360, LucasArts has to be playing coy about it for real. Stuff like Watch Dogs, Ground Zeroes, and 1313 all look to be flashing next gen warning sirens.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

thefncrow posted:

I haven't really been looking at the prices for Batman seriously since I already have it on 360 and PC, but I could swear I saw deals other than Amazon's BF of late that had Arkham City around $15.

Batman (29.99), Scribblenauts (29.99) and Assassin's Creed 3 (45-50) are all cheaper on PC right now. I guess people either don't have PCs capable or just don't care.

I've already seen some Steam backlash in this thread, but hey, it's their $50-60 I guess. But Steam prices will typically be way lower than prices of multi-platform games on new consoles.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astro7x posted:

After doing some quick googling...

360 took 21 months for the Premium to drop $50 from $400 to $350, and the Core to drop $20 from $300 to $280
PS3 took 8 months for the 60GB to drop $100 from $600 to $500, with a new 80GB Motorstorm bundle coming in at $600.
Wii took 22 months for the system to drop $50 from $250 to $200.

I don't know... I'd much rather pay $50 today and get to play some new games for the next 2 years. Right?

Yeah, I guess you're right. In the long run it's not that much money. I was just checking the prices for consoles in the local electronics store and the Super Slim Ps3 was 199 euroes and 360 was 189 euroes. They are five or six year old consoles but I kinda got hopeful.

Still I'm gonna wait a little anyhow for more games to come out. I remember Ps3 taking a quite a lot of time before the catalogue had some more content, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Out of curiosity why do people say the Wii U launch is lukewarm? I know it's sold fewer units to date than the Wii launch did in that same timeframe, but it's still sold more than the 360 and PS3 launches in their respective timeframes.

Stores are stocked or overstocked but I see that as a good thing. People can buy them!! Why is it a bad thing? Perception? I'd rather people not have to deal with forced bundles and overpriced eBay auctions.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

MustardMaster posted:

I was just checking the prices for consoles in the local electronics store and the Super Slim Ps3 was 199 euroes and 360 was 189 euroes. They are five or six year old consoles but I kinda got hopeful.
They're exactly 6 and 7 years old, respectively.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter Super duper edition and The Wonderful 101 should be spring. Frankly Pikmin with sharper visuals was a system seller for me. Game and Wario is slated for Q1 but it looks like it will slip to summer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Soul Glo posted:

I still would be genuinely surprised if at least Microsoft or Sony didn't drop a console next Christmas though. Those dev kits have already been out for a while as it is.
Where are you seeing things about next-gen dev kits being out there?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Sonic patch is finally going up soon: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/12/us-asrt-owners-your-patch-is-ready/

I hope there's others hitting too, a few games need 'em (read: Nintendoland).

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Joramun posted:

They're exactly 6 and 7 years old, respectively.

It's kinda funny that I'm just 21 but the fact that this generation of consoles is already six and seven years old makes me feel like an old fuddy duddy. I remember my friend getting a 360 and it was the coolest thing ever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Out of curiosity why do people say the Wii U launch is lukewarm? I know it's sold fewer units to date than the Wii launch did in that same timeframe, but it's still sold more than the 360 and PS3 launches in their respective timeframes.

Stores are stocked or overstocked but I see that as a good thing. People can buy them!! Why is it a bad thing? Perception? I'd rather people not have to deal with forced bundles and overpriced eBay auctions.

The 360 and PS3 launches were more bottlenecked than the Wii U. Most is just public perception - a lot of people have yet to hear anyone really talk about the thing, which wasn't the case with the prior two systems.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You weren't kidding. First post I saw said "ACTION 52" and had a drawing of a Cheetahmen.

Looking at random presumably bad games is easily the best part of Miiverse for me so far.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Out of curiosity why do people say the [Nintendo product] launch is lukewarm?

Because it is a Nintendo product.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MustardMaster posted:

It's kinda funny that I'm just 21 but the fact that this generation of consoles is already six and seven years old makes me feel like an old fuddy duddy. I remember my friend getting a 360 and it was the coolest thing ever.

There are teenagers playing games today whose first ever console as a kid was a 360. It's trippy having a generation last this long.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I'm literally the only person on Miiverse who can't draw.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Gendo posted:

I'm literally the only person on Miiverse who can't draw.

Cheer up... When Art Academy comes to Wii U, you'll be drawing apples in no time!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't really know how they all do it, having only a pixelly black/white brush with a tiny stylus and no sensitivity is basically torture.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Out of curiosity why do people say the Wii U launch is lukewarm?

Questionable 3rd party/first party launch titles, surprisingly common reports of hard locks, occasional reports of bricks-out-of-the-box, and yes, the "slow" sales.

I think the Wii U is selling fine. It's not selling out, but there's good reasons for it. Part of that is due to their heavy shipments (they plan to have like 5.5 million consoles shipped worldwide by the end of December or something like that). Part of it is probably due to the price. Part it might be the library, there is literally nothing on it right now that I NEED to play right now, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that assessment. Given that there's apparently going to be these systems in abundance, why rush and pay NOW when I'm likely to pay the same amount later when there's games I want?

It's kinda pointless to compare launch number performance. The PS3 debuted at a stupid price point (and still sold well enough despite that), and the 360 was a successor to a console that really was only successful because of Halo getting it in the door.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Where are you seeing things about next-gen dev kits being out there?

The internet, when we started hearing the words "Orbis" and "Durango."

Also if you Google "PS4 and Durango dev kits," you get loads of hits about devs leaking poo poo. That sort of stuff never stays under wraps.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
I've been reading this thread for the last two weeks or so, trying to decide if I should buy the system now or wait. I was considering waiting because Nintendo loves to release new editions of their handheld systems every 5 days and I figured that they might do an update of the Wii U, then I started looking at how long it took them to release a red/black Wii, 2+ years, and the price drop took a long time, as well for a measly $50.

I've read about the hardware issues that some people have been having (DOA units, unable to power on the controller, etc.) Does anyone think that Nintendo will be revamping the hardware (internally, not saying anything about the changes) to combat these making it a better idea to wait, or does it not matter, and if I can find a Deluxe I should grab it?

I really just want to play NintendoLand and ZombiiU but am so conflicted on waiting or not. The girlfriend told me she'd buy me one but I said gently caress no, I'm not letting you spend $450 on a christmas present, much less making you find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Darko posted:

The 360 and PS3 launches were more bottlenecked than the Wii U. Most is just public perception - a lot of people have yet to hear anyone really talk about the thing, which wasn't the case with the prior two systems.

It's apparently the #2 most requested gift (maybe electronics gift) for children age 6-12, and I think the article I read said the same for adults. (being beaten only by the iPad in both categories).

Nintendo is not advertising the thing heavily because there is no reason to. It's going to sell through.

The thing that baffles me is why Nintendo made so many of the standard units - It's obviously inferior to the other one and presumably less profitable (NintendoLand and a larger hard drive can't account for more than $50, right?). I had assumed that the only reason it even existed was so they could say "Two Ninety-Nine" in commercials. Isn't that what Sony and Microsoft did at the last system launch?

edit: I hadn't heard anyone talking about dev kits, which is why I was surprised that it is known information. If the kits are in the wild, I completely agree that they'll be out in 2013, but I would have expected to hear something from Microsoft or Sony themselves by this point.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 4, 2012

• Locked thread