Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are there videogame and nerd jokes in ruby itself. please say yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Socracheese posted:

python and ruby serve the same general purpose but ruby is sorta weird and isnt as widely adopted

wrong, python owns for what it is, which is basically to be an intelligent version of php

hahahahahaha

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

as a sophisticated and experienced programmer let me just say *a literal stream of vomit and poo poo gushes from all my orifices at once*

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Socracheese posted:

wrong, python owns for what it is, which is basically to be an intelligent version of php

lol python is like php's retarded cousin

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Socracheese posted:

python and ruby serve the same general purpose but ruby is sorta weird and isnt as widely adopted

ruby is definitely much more difficult for a new programmer to learn than python

Jonny 290 posted:

whenever i read about ruby i imagine anime eyed cartoon coders frolicking with woodland creatures in a glittery candyland

i just can't get past this and take ruby seriously

the community is obviously pretty anime cause rvm. i've been meaning to try and check out rbenv but i don't think it has as much community support yet.

do you like hashes all over the loving place? then ruby is the language for you

Jonny 290 posted:

are there videogame and nerd jokes in ruby itself. please say yes

to be honest, none that i've seen, but who knows considering the rvm anime mentioned above

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
ruby is both an honorary p language and dumb anime crap though

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

most of what i do with python and php is using it with web template files and postgres. at work we have some php middleware that we made really hastily and glued features on and applied band-aids and the functionality could be much better and my boss thought it'd be cool to redo the whole thing in python with a better overall structure now that we know what we need. I think the templating in django or jinja2 is nicer and cleaner but honestly its mostly v similar

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

but php was there to get the whole thing off the ground and I didn't really have a ton of :argh: php!!! moments so i have to agree with tbc to some extent

e: but seriously gently caress javascript tho

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 5, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

it never occurred to me how prescient the comment is, that one year of experience repeated ten times does not mean ten years of experience

and then i read this thread

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

python is to ruby what protestantism is to catholicism, or vice versa.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

how
would you
write a
language
shaggar
?

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
ruby owns. code ruby its cool.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

ruby is to python what calvinism is to anglicinism. perl is catholicism

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
so the javascript codebase on our project was a total mess, zero organization, global variables all over the place and i decided to refactor the whole thing using a revealed module format, reckoning it had the greatest correspondence with how the existing code was actually used. ok great, four days later i have a codebase that doesn't make me want to vomit when i look at it, modules are organized based on their functionalities instead of what page someone happened to be writing when they first needed the code, and oh yeah i eliminated thousands and thousands of lines of redundant, duplicated code. it's just too bad that eclipse's javascript support is terrible and i've lost any kind of autocomplete or content assist on anything.

i really hope having this poo poo on my resume won't make it completely impossible to get a real loving job in the next year or two.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nah dont worry about it theres a lack of javascript developers these days

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it's just too bad that eclipse's javascript support is terrible and i've lost any kind of autocomplete or content assist on anything.

webstorm can do beastly autocomplete on js files

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

both are terrible for the same reasons and promoted by equally terrible people.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

both are terrible for the same reasons and promoted by equally terrible people.

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it's just too bad that eclipse's javascript support is terrible and i've lost any kind of autocomplete or content assist on anything.
oh so in the process of adapting the code to your aesthetic foibles you made it objectively worse, cool

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ive never really heard a coherent critique of python besides "wah whitespace, also nothing supports 3.x yet :saddowns:"

i mean i understand the failings javascript and php and whatnot have but whenever people talk about how they dont like python it usually ends up that they just dont like django or w/e

feel free to prove me wrong here, im curious

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

abraham linksys posted:

ive never really heard a coherent critique of python besides "wah whitespace"

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
do your homework

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerry SanDisky posted:

do your homework

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jerry SanDisky posted:

do your homework

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

shocker: most "engineers" or "programmers" who criticize A Thing are likely to do it while knowing nothing about the Thing in question, or have ever used it, or even have ever talked to someone who has used Thing. Most "engineers" or "shaggars" will read A Thing Is Bad on hacker news and then parrot it, helplessly, like a spasm, everywhere they tread, like someone with diarhhea.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I don't like python...it just doesn't get me hot like Scala can

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

ive never really heard a coherent critique of python besides "wah whitespace, also nothing supports 3.x yet :saddowns:"

i mean i understand the failings javascript and php and whatnot have but whenever people talk about how they dont like python it usually ends up that they just dont like django or w/e

aside from pythons ugly syntax and bad coding conventions, its super immature and doesnt have the nice library or framework support of a proper language like java or c#.

basically its a language that doesnt do anything well enough to justify its existance as a language but its gonna exist anyway cause its for people who dont want to use java or c# because they're java and c#.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

it does millions of things just fine and any good programmer will realize its limitations and use a better tool the moment it's necessary and the constraints no longer make sense, just like every other piece of poo poo language

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ive never thought python was particularly ugly. its always seemed like the most self-explanatory syntax out there, tbh

ive never really had a problem i needed to solve that python didn't have a library for. i like it well enough. easy and fun to write :)

drat i havent coded in like a month now i want to write some python

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

the community is obviously pretty anime cause rvm. i've been meaning to try and check out rbenv but i don't think it has as much community support yet.

the important parts of the community support rbenv, rvm is only good if you're a bipolar anime enthusaist like its author

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

it does millions of things just fine and any good programmer will realize its limitations and use a better tool the moment it's necessary and the constraints no longer make sense, just like every other piece of poo poo language

it doesnt do anything that a real language (java or c#) doesnt do better.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

* unicode (in every way)
* clunky ternary operator syntax
* the fact that the wsgi plugin for Apache is basically an implementation of Apache
* single element tuples
* pretend timezone support
* lack of real anonymous functions
* the pop3 standard library
* the imap standard library
* the email standard library
* the urllib standard library
* the urllib2 standard library
* strings are strings of strings
* this:
code:
>>> x = []
>>> y = x
>>> x += [1]
>>> y
[1]
>>> x = ()
>>> y = x
>>> x += (1,)
>>> y
()
* 11MB just start the REPL
* Re-ignited the whole tabs vs. spaces thing
* I don't like the colour
* I remember when all this was fields

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

it doesnt do anything that a real language (java or c#) doesnt do better.

but that's not the point and that's not how people solve problems

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abraham linksys posted:

things I whine about in python

strings are iterable. except they return strings. this breaks code that works on lists. it also makes it hard to tell the difference between a string and a list

default function arguments are evaluated at compile time. this confuses people with mutable default arguments.

threading is bad. coroutines would be nicer than the generator stuff. the exception hierarchy is somewhat mangled. real lexical scope would be nice.

quote:

your welcome

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

they got real closures in 2.7.x i think

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Who would win in a fight: Guido or Matz?

I pick Matz because he probably has some sick ninja skills.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

threading is bad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FamDav posted:

Who would win in a fight: Guido or Matz?

I pick Matz because he probably has some sick ninja skills.

Matz Is a Ninja So We Are Nice

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

* unicode (in every way)

they fixed this in python 3 by making the bytestring handling terrible.

quote:

* lack of real anonymous functions
* pretend timezone support
* the pop3 standard library
* the imap standard library
* the email standard library
* the urllib standard library
* the urllib2 standard library
* I don't like the colour
* I remember when all this was fields

oh god the std lib is terrible for protocols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

but that's not the point and that's not how people solve problems

well what problem are you solving? if you're fixing a bug in python or a python lib/framework for then fine ok use python.

if you're solving a real world problem then you dont start with a tool you know isnt gonna do everything you need (unless you like pain).