Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shaggar posted:

well what problem are you solving? if you're fixing a bug in python or a python lib/framework for then fine ok use python.

if you're solving a real world problem then you dont start with a tool you know isnt gonna do everything you need (unless you like pain).

the use of the term 'real world' is super loving loaded. all problems are real world problems because they exist in a tangible universe

like i said before, python does millions of things just fine and most people who use it use it within that locus; if an engineer uses a tool that does not do what they need it to do you blame the engineer for not understanding their requirements, not the tool for not being able to magically divine intent

in addition you are prescribing a quality to engineers that they do not have. namely, foresight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. my point is anyone who picks python over java or c# is wrong (unless they're an actual hobbyist)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

okay great good point

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

they fixed this in python 3 by making the bytestring handling terrible.

I'm going to have to go ahead and take issue with your use of the word "fixed" here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FamDav posted:

Who would win in a fight: Guido or Matz?

I pick Matz because he probably has some sick ninja skills.

*Larry looks up for a second, distractedly, before returning to hot-gluing the entire contents of the walmart tools aisle together in a roughly butterfly-shaped sculpture*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
man i really like c# but i wish the tools were better. visual studio is so goddamn dumb at times.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

The answer is Emacs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and the question is "What is the worst thing?"

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

right. my point is anyone who picks python over java or c# is wrong (unless they're an actual hobbyist)

true bitch true true

(use ruby)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WHOIS John Galt posted:

the use of the term 'real world' is super loving loaded. all problems are real world problems because they exist in a tangible universe

like i said before, python does millions of things just fine and most people who use it use it within that locus; if an engineer uses a tool that does not do what they need it to do you blame the engineer for not understanding their requirements, not the tool for not being able to magically divine intent

in addition you are prescribing a quality to engineers that they do not have. namely, foresight

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Shaggar posted:

and the question is "What is the worst thing?"

but the answer to that is "zombiewuf"

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

phew, thought you were going to say my name there.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

I fiddled around with Reactive Extensions for C# and it's pretty neato. It changes event subscriptions into variables that sort of represent a garden hose that sprays events. You screw different nozzles onto the garden hose.

E: imagine four eventargs on the edge of a cliff.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Zombywuf posted:

phew, thought you were going to say my name there.

even the worst at spelling

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

threading is bad. coroutines would be nicer than the generator stuff. the exception hierarchy is somewhat mangled. real lexical scope would be nice.

threading isn't just broken, it's so broken than Google, Inc. couldn't fix it with practically infinite budget: unladen swallow first abandoned plans to extract the GIL, and then scaled back plans for JIT or GC fixes, then just gave up entirely on all their project goals

the alternative plan was "Go." Google found it easier to develop a brand new compiled language in-house than to fix the most obvious bugs in python

also: garbage collection. every python program leaks memory because python uses refcounting. python uses refcounting because guido didn't want to break c module compatibility in like 1996.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yplpos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also while all these python technological problems are technically CPython, implementation-specific problems, no one has ever managed to make a decent python other than cpython

jython exists, but (unlike jruby) is even slower than cpython

pypi exists but in order to support python libraries it is seeking compatibility with the refcounting c module api

ironpython existed; what happened to that?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

threading isn't just broken, it's so broken than Google, Inc. couldn't fix it with practically infinite budget: unladen swallow first abandoned plans to extract the GIL, and then scaled back plans for JIT or GC fixes, then just gave up entirely on all their project goals

the alternative plan was "Go." Google found it easier to develop a brand new compiled language in-house than to fix the most obvious bugs in python

yeah it turns out even "fixing" threading just means that there's going to be more people using it and loving it up, because threading is too complicated for most programmers because it's terribly unintuitive

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ironpython existed; what happened to that?

assuming it's the same poo poo as ironruby: typical microsoft project follow-through (lack thereof)

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

abraham linksys posted:

wah whitespace

I thought significant whitespace was fine and totally unobtrusive when I was writing Python, but then I realised that it makes it a pain in the rear end to do a lot of automated editing, at least compared to every other modern language.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

they got real closures in 2.7.x i think

But they still have lame baby lambdas.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

VanillaKid posted:

I thought significant whitespace was fine and totally unobtrusive when I was writing Python, but then I realised that it makes it a pain in the rear end to do a lot of automated editing, at least compared to every other modern language.

well it's a fools errand to expect computers to understand tabs

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
has anyone said program forth yet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yah

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

intellij idea 12 is out!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
stop posting screenshots of 2004 era video encoding software

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

crayola barforama, lookit all those toolbars and trays full of garbage

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

well i guess we've settled it then, forth is the cool programming language for stuff

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

dsyp

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

looks like chalk writing on the sidewalk

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

psp (please stop posting)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

jooky posted:

psp (please stop posting)

:)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sulk, let's take a walk

we need to have a little talk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*collective 'ooooooo' from the class*

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

sulk, let's take a walk

we need to have a little talk

:(

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

haha

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

gucci void main posted:

floppy disk toolbar icons, check
sideways labels, check

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

besides this is what a beautiful editor looks like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shameproof posted:

I fiddled around with Reactive Extensions for C# and it's pretty neato. It changes event subscriptions into variables that sort of represent a garden hose that sprays events. You screw different nozzles onto the garden hose.

E: imagine four eventargs on the edge of a cliff.

rx is neat and worth digging into. people will look at you funny if you start saying 'the iterator is the dual of the observer' though.