Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Ender.uNF posted:

I'm not sure what you're referencing with the c# transition. The run times installed side by side and you can use old assemblies in the newer one so it was relatively painless. Now that we're on the other side it's a non-issue.

You could run things side by side, but you couldn't use an API with generics from a .NET 1.1 app, and things could be inconvenient the other way around as well. It is indeed a non-issue now, but I'm sure there was a lot of gnashing about it at the time.

rjmccall posted:

Well, I asume that they haven't stopped shipping the old system libraries. That's permanent disk footprint, and it's a pretty serious memory footprint if any applications need them. I'm aware that disk footprint isn't a traditional area of concern for Microsoft.

The Surface RT actually just has a single ".NET for Windows Store" installed which strips out a fairly significant portion of the .NET library (though as far as I know, it still maitains a fair number of the duplicate generic/non-generic equivalents).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lowtax is talking poo poo on Radium in YOSPOS and it's hilarious.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

(20:40:15) Choochacacko: the original publishing method ken used was amazing
(20:40:49) Choochacacko: there were scripts on each of the production servers that ran every 1 minute. and they each tried to pull new copies of the dev files into production. every minute.

Wooooooooowww.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Lowtax posted:

(17:03:26) SAAssLowtax: is the DNS issue causing the forums to be down?
(17:04:39) Choochacacko: don't think so. i'm checking now.
(17:13:08) SAAssLowtax: did it not send a notice that it went down?
(17:13:16) Choochacacko: blah. it's those stupid load balancers.
(17:13:25) Choochacacko: no, because the physical server was still online.
(17:13:35) Choochacacko: ken was using some software for load balancing and those aren't monitored
(17:13:59) Choochacacko: i'm working on phasing them out because they're 100% not needed except to serve the search page
(17:14:26) SAAssLowtax: good job ken
(17:14:56) Choochacacko: for serious. 2 servers exist and they're only purpose is to make sure /f/search can be accessed via forums.somethingawful.com

I knew search was hard, but come on.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

code:
private Dictionary<CustomerInfo, Dictionary<string, List<FeedbackData>>> m_Database;
I wrote this. I'm so sorry.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BiohazrD posted:

code:
private Dictionary<CustomerInfo, Dictionary<string, List<FeedbackData>>> m_Database;

Two layers isn't so bad. Sometimes layering HashMaps can't be avoided, only abstracted so it's not as obvious that you're layering them:

code:
Dictionary<CustomerInfo, CustomerFeedback> custInfoToFeedbackMap;

class CustomerFeedback {
  //what the hell is this mapping anyway?
  Dictionary<String, List<FeedbackData>> foo;
}

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

I haven't touched YOSPOS since I joined. Do I want to start?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Of course you do.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

As with Linux, only if your time is worthless.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Novo posted:

As with Linux, only if your time is worthless.
Says the GBS poster to an anime aficionado.

Everyone on SA's time is worthless.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If the SA Forums could be summed up in a post, here it is folks.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Asked the apps engineer at $chip_vendor that is writing their optimization guide if he had a recommendation for a profiler.

optimization expert posted:

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with profilers, but...

[link to first google result gprof, which doesn't work on his company's chip]

[suggestion to write my own profiler that incidentally details a very bad way to write a profiler if i were foolish enough to want to do so]

Hope this helps!

:ughh:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Technically anime pays my salary so listening in and talking about it has monetary value. :P

YOSPOS looks pretty terrible. If I want to read stupid posts I'd rather go to reddit or hacker news.

---

Today's horror for me is the fact that while debugging some bugs on Android I found out the default encoding for HTTP requests on the devices I was using was not UTF8 but ISO-something-or-other. Why can't everyone just use Unicode and UTF-{8,16,32}? :(

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

BiohazrD posted:

code:
the horror is prefixing the variable with m_

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

YOSPOS looks pretty terrible. If I want to read stupid posts I'd rather go to reddit or hacker news.

You're gonna get it now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

You're gonna get it now.
People are allowed to not like YOSPOS, but in my experience it just means that you take yourself too seriously.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

People are allowed to not like YOSPOS, but in my experience it just means that you take yourself too seriously.

The Programming Languages thread is pretty good. Between these two threads I've learned alot about paroting poo poo about languages that I'll never use.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The wikipedia thread and the computer puns threads are worthwhile.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

what if I just got bored with it after a while

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

lol

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Plorkyeran posted:

what if I just got bored with it after a while

Hey, this made me realize this is me.

Likely related to the fact that I'm getting olderish (35).

Though, after checking out the programming languages thread, I'm enjoying that...

Not sure how this is a coding horror, though.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Today's horror for me is the fact that while debugging some bugs on Android I found out the default encoding for HTTP requests on the devices I was using was not UTF8 but ISO-something-or-other. Why can't everyone just use Unicode and UTF-{8,16,32}? :(

The default encoding of ISO-8859-1 was set back in the dawn of time before the UTF encodings were hewn from the very rock of the IETF standards mines.

(i.e. no-one could be bothered implementing unicode back in the day when the internet was a lot more racist and changing it is hard)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Actually it's because their idea of funny is posting "gas and ban the op" or "this thread is garbage" or some low effort pun about how the OP should get out in literally every thread

edit: my mental picture of YOSPOS posters is slightly chubby teens wearing cardigans and shades while sneering

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Volte posted:

Actually it's because their idea of funny is posting "gas and ban the op" or "this thread is garbage" or some low effort pun about how the OP should get out in literally every thread

edit: my mental picture of YOSPOS posters is slightly chubby teens wearing cardigans and shades while sneering

lighten up tightass, its a thing called humor.

my contribution, some code I found in ActiveLdap earlier today:

code:
      def parse_filter_string(filter)
        if /\A\s*\z/.match(filter)
          nil
        else
          if filter[0, 1] == "("
            filter
          else
            "(#{filter})"
          end
        end
      end
must be some new definition of 'parse' that I'm not aware of...

Novo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 5, 2012

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Volte posted:

my mental picture of YOSPOS posters is slightly chubby teens wearing cardigans and shades while sneering

Nice!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

YOSPOS is like that one guy in high school that was a jerk but got all the chicks

That programming thread is amazing. This javascript deserves a repost.

quote:

゚ω゚ノ= /`m´)ノ ~┻━┻ //*´∇`*/ ['_']; o=(゚ー゚) =_=3; c=(゚Θ゚) =(゚ー゚)-(゚ー゚); (゚Д゚) =(゚Θ゚)= (o^_^o)/ (o^_^o);(゚Д゚)={゚Θ゚: '_' ,゚ω゚ノ : ((゚ω゚ノ==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚] ,゚ー゚ノ :(゚ω゚ノ+ '_')[o^_^o -(゚Θ゚)] ,゚Д゚ノ:((゚ー゚==3) +'_')[゚ー゚] }; (゚Д゚) [゚Θ゚] =((゚ω゚ノ==3) +'_') [c^_^o];(゚Д゚) ['c'] = ((゚Д゚)+'_') [ (゚ー゚)+(゚ー゚)-(゚Θ゚) ];(゚Д゚) ['o'] = ((゚Д゚)+'_') [゚Θ゚];(゚o゚)=(゚Д゚) ['c']+(゚Д゚) ['o']+(゚ω゚ノ +'_')[゚Θ゚]+ ((゚ω゚ノ==3) +'_') [゚ー゚] + ((゚Д゚) +'_') [(゚ー゚)+(゚ー゚)]+ ((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚]+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [(゚ー゚) - (゚Θ゚)]+(゚Д゚) ['c']+((゚Д゚)+'_') [(゚ー゚)+(゚ー゚)]+ (゚Д゚) ['o']+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚];(゚Д゚) ['_'] =(o^_^o) [゚o゚] [゚o゚];(゚ε゚)=((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚]+ (゚Д゚) .゚Д゚ノ+((゚Д゚)+'_') [(゚ー゚) + (゚ー゚)]+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [o^_^o -゚Θ゚]+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚]+ (゚ω゚ノ +'_') [゚Θ゚]; (゚ー゚)+=(゚Θ゚); (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]='\\'; (゚Д゚).゚Θ゚ノ=(゚Д゚+ ゚ー゚)[o^_^o -(゚Θ゚)];(o゚ー゚o)=(゚ω゚ノ +'_')[c^_^o];(゚Д゚) [゚o゚]='\"';(゚Д゚) ['_'] ( (゚Д゚) ['_'] (゚ε゚+(゚Д゚)[゚o゚]+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Θ゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚ー゚)+ ((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (c^_^o)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚ー゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (o^_^o)+ (゚Θ゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚Θ゚)+ ((゚ー゚) + (o^_^o))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (o^_^o)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (c^_^o)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚Θ゚)+ ((゚ー゚) + (o^_^o))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (o^_^o)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚ー゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Θ゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚o゚]) (゚Θ゚)) ('_');

vv Sorry but the smilies broke it, I had no choice...you shouldn't have said anything, I browse with images turned off!

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 5, 2012

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Volte posted:

Mostly for new threads, but long running ones don't have those specific insults.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Manslaughter posted:

YOSPOS is like that one guy in high school that was a jerk but got all the chicks

That programming thread is amazing. This javascript deserves a repost.

Don't edit that post to turn off smilies. They're perfect as they are.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

the horror is prefixing the variable with m_

Why? It's a member variable of a class.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
In general I am of the opinion that if marking the scope of variables in their names is ever useful then you have far too many things in scope.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
How much is Hungarian notation despised here? I had to adopt it due to my predecessor and I've kept using it, though not in objects (it seems weird to get $oObject->sName instead of $oObject->Name), and as we move towards an OO framework in PHP I suspect that will drop off each more. It does give me a nice built in temp variable name though - $s for strings, $b for booleans, $a for arrays, etc. $i is for integers but that's one thing that's already in common use, in for loops at least.

It also allows for reusing names among types. For example, $sQuery is the database query, $rQuery is the resource that it gets, instead of having to do $query and $result or what not.

Not that I'm saying I love it, and the only reason I'm doing it is legacy, but ... it doesn't seem too horrible. I'm sure I'll still use $a, $s, etc. for temp variables after I move on from it.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

In general I am of the opinion that if marking the scope of variables in their names is ever useful then you have far too many things in scope.

It makes it easier to write constructors and setters though. It's about the one bit of hungarianish notation I like.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

That's ridiculous. Accessors are just one example of where this owns.

code:
public class Example
{
	private string m_Name;
	public string Name
	{
		get
		{
			return m_Name;
		}
	}

public Example(string InputName)
	{
		m_Name = InputName;
	}
}
Not to mention constructors, etc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What is it about temporary variables that makes people not want to give them meaningful names?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Jabor posted:

What is it about temporary variables that makes people not want to give them meaningful names?

for ($NumberOfIterations = 0; $NumberOfIterations <= 100; $NumberOfIterations++) {

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Everyone knows what 'i' is, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel. But seriously, foreach errday.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Golbez posted:

How much is Hungarian notation despised here? I had to adopt it due to my predecessor and I've kept using it, though not in objects (it seems weird to get $oObject->sName instead of $oObject->Name), and as we move towards an OO framework in PHP I suspect that will drop off each more. It does give me a nice built in temp variable name though - $s for strings, $b for booleans, $a for arrays, etc. $i is for integers but that's one thing that's already in common use, in for loops at least.

It also allows for reusing names among types. For example, $sQuery is the database query, $rQuery is the resource that it gets, instead of having to do $query and $result or what not.

Not that I'm saying I love it, and the only reason I'm doing it is legacy, but ... it doesn't seem too horrible. I'm sure I'll still use $a, $s, etc. for temp variables after I move on from it.
Unless you're in some kind of untyped wasteland, that sort of naming convention is completely useless. That's not even Hungarian notation. Hungarian notation affixes some kind of meaningful descriptor to the variable (like cnt for counter, fh for file handle, etc), not the type.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Golbez posted:

The original point of Hungarian (apps hungarian, I believe) was to show the purpose of the variable in front of it, almost like a soft typedef. The example I've always heard is, you've got a variable called rwOffset, your offset into a dataset by rows. Or, you've just captured user input into a string, so you do usName (for unsafe string). This made sense in the days of 80 characters before autocomplete. Now, just call it RowOffset and UnsantizedName.

bool bVariable and int iVariable doesn't make any sense to me in any context, really.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Volte posted:

Unless you're in some kind of untyped wasteland
PHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Plorkyeran posted:

Even granting this for the sake of argument you still need a way to avoid name collisions between private fields and accessors for them in, for example, C++.