Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

the only thing in ruby 1.9 they added that i know i hate is the symbol: value hash, because a lot of times you end up seeing symbol: :symbol and it looks ugly as sin. i don't know why anyone uses it when :symbol => value is so much clearer and you only use like two more characters

why do you think typing the same number of colons plus a hashrocket is clearer

your editor has syntax highlighting for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Sup nerds, heard you guys like computers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

TiMBuS posted:

now it doeosnt take a fool to know youre making a joke at me, horse man and tef, but i could swear that if i read between the lines.. maybe youre trying to encourage me??

the only way i will succeed is to convince someone to give up programming and do something enjoyable and rewarding with their life

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

tef posted:

the only way i will succeed is to convince someone to give up programming and do something enjoyable and rewarding with their life

oh, im not a programmer. so its okay

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tef im super burnt out by 25 with computers and you + my dad have convinced me it wont get better, so theres that i guess

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Defghanistan posted:

Sup nerds, heard you guys like computers

computers are terrible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Tef im super burnt out by 25 with computers and you + my dad have convinced me it wont get better, so theres that i guess

seriously if you don't get the gently caress out by 28 or so you are doomed

heed
HEED

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

0xB16B00B5 posted:

oh it's just me. i've burnt up in ever job i've been in. i'm just one of those people who is on fire.

also i have worked at terrible places for terrible people. i've worked in very small companies who are happy to hire competent but crazy people.

i tend to get a little stressed when i'm asked to lie to people or when we have to do something really stupid, or do something manually over and over again when we have a computer that can do it.

the real thing is i spent decades of my life working on technical problems, but most of the problems you face in a job are social. doesn't matter what field you go into, people are there and thus politics and bullshit.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

tef posted:

the real thing is i spent decades of my life working on technical problems, but most of the problems you face in a job are social. doesn't matter what field you go into, people are there and thus politics and bullshit.

its super clear now, but if someone had told me this in college, i (wisely) wouldn't have gone into programming

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tef posted:

oh it's just me. i've burnt up in ever job i've been in. i'm just one of those people who is on fire.

also i have worked at terrible places for terrible people. i've worked in very small companies who are happy to hire competent but crazy people.

i tend to get a little stressed when i'm asked to lie to people or when we have to do something really stupid, or do something manually over and over again when we have a computer that can do it.

lets go work for the forestry service somewhere

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ill just retire by 28 or 30, or slowly kill myself through excessive alcoholism

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

0xB16B00B5 posted:

slowly kill myself through excessive alcoholism

im on the 10 year plan

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

yall seem pretty depressed

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

maybe u should all help me write a compiler.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

TiMBuS posted:

maybe u should all help me write a compiler.

YosComp.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if people are in charge of the money you receive to survive in some way, the job's gonna be about people and dealing with them to a non-negligible extent.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TiMBuS posted:

yall seem pretty depressed

Nah option 1 is pretty appealing so im killing time until that kicks in

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

TiMBuS posted:

perl 6 isnt designed to be an upgrade path from 5. its also not designed to replace 5.
its designed for the sake of designing it afaict

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Gazpacho posted:

its designed for the sake of designing it afaict

probably the best reason to make a language

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
timbus ship the pepe

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jerry SanDisky posted:

its super clear now, but if someone had told me this in college, i (wisely) wouldn't have gone into programming

we have social mythology around 'genius hackers' and 'lone dropouts working in their garage' and other stories about how it's all about working hard and society will reward you.

it's a little a bit more overt as of late, what with film biographies being made and so on.

it makes a better story than the truth anyway, and I like an idiot brought up on second hand dreams kinda bought into the idea that if you are smart, people will listen to you. taking in the lie told by those in power, that they got there by a meritocracy.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

House from House M.D. is who I want to be but with computers -- a bunch of tech people, wishing to be so right all the time people are forced to respect them.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
all i need is a limp and a motorcycle.

i've got the sarcasm and a drug habit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just get the latter and the former will probably follow before too long

that, or a nice death by degloving

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress, we are pretty morose arent we

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

these days whenever i think of a new idea or system or procedure to greatly improve my workplace, i just try my hardest to completely forget about it.
its easier that way. you dont have to listen to your boss rejecting your ideas, and you dont have to think about 'what could have been'. you jsut do work and dont think and eventually the day ends

i dont think that you will be any happier not programming

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
guess i shouldnt be surprised that, being unemployed, im the only one in this thread who apparently actually enjoys coding

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
tef what do you think about actors as a solution to parallelism?

i've been playing on designing a language with typed mutability so you didn't have to deep-copy messages, then microsoft came out with this loving paper http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/170528/msr-tr-2012-79.pdf for C#

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
just become the boss, it makes things a lot easier

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

just become the boss, it makes things a lot easier

make sure to figure out what your weak spots are, though. armor that poo poo up because some day someone will try to stab you there.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

i used to clean meat factories with a steam hose for 8 hours a night, starting at 10pm. sometimes i thought of faster ways to clean the meat chunks out of the conveyers. i even tried and tested better ways of spraying the sodium hydroxide around to make it quicker to blast off the rancid fat (it is very sticky). it was truely the freest i have ever been in a job.
its a pity i had to quit, but the lack of sleep, chemical burns, and the fact i couldnt move my fingers for a good hour after i woke up sort of put me off.
grass is always greener i guess

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Jonny 290 posted:

that, or a nice death by degloving

ick

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

it turns out people other than web developers use python, and as such are wedded to c-module compatibility. breaking the abi is telling your users and developers to go gently caress themselves.

the joke in my post was a reference to makefiles

guido could have fixed python gc back when he had like five users, considered that course, and rejected it. now it is a source of pain and confusion

makefile whitespace sensitivity is the same story

tef posted:

then again, you can look at ruby for the success of getting c programmers to write gc-friendly code http://timetobleed.com/the-broken-promises-of-mrireeyarv/ (i.e by sprinkling magic volatile dust over the code)

i had always wondered how they achieved this. now that i know, i kinda would prefer not to know

maybe i can't make fun of python so vociferously

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

perl 5 is used in enterprise. it will never die. nor will the local copy ever be upgraded.

my most shameful perl moment was backporting perl 5.10 code on linux to perl 5.8 on solaris and 5.6 on hp-ux..... in 2011

much to my surprise (read: horror) it only took a few hours :smith:

i narrowly escaped being "that guy" by quitting and becoming a cj*

* a dubious victory

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

gently caress, we are pretty morose arent we
pessimism isn't a purely negative attribute to have when it comes to trying to figure out ways for things to fail and preparing against them.

although 100% pessimism shouldn't get you going too far in the end. Pessimism and hubris, I guess. Whatever the quote was.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

duTrieux. posted:

make sure to figure out what your weak spots are, though. armor that poo poo up because some day someone will try to stab you there.

ya this is true, nerds are vengeful little fuckers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TiMBuS posted:

you dont have to listen to your boss rejecting your ideas, and you dont have to think about 'what could have been'.

i was a consultant for some years
i lived 'what could have been.'

pro tip: it was also poo poo

every path not taken in your work life: total poo poo results

one can look back and debate whether you could have made more money or had more friends

but if you work in a white collar job, there is no need to debate whether a better result could have been achieved. the answer is "no."

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

oh i am talking less philosophically and big here. i just mean like, 'hey we could reduce this job by an hour (and make my task less hell) if we..'

also my job is not white collar. i cant get a white collar job

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sang- posted:

tef what do you think about actors as a solution to parallelism?

actors are a type of concurrency. the solution to parallelism is to avoid things having to synchronise with each other.

the chapel language is one which attempts to deal with hpc issues like parallelism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_(programming_language)

quote:

i've been playing on designing a language with typed mutability so you didn't have to deep-copy messages, then microsoft came out with this loving paper http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/170528/msr-tr-2012-79.pdf for C#

this stuff was already in plaid and has been kicking around for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the joke in my post was a reference to makefiles
maybe i can't make fun of python so vociferously

this happens in any gc + native c language thing. you can have an object that isn't on the (managed) stack anymore, but still in use. c# has a gc.keepalive for this thing.