Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jet sanchEz posted:

Could it be a gamble? He is loading up the jets in order to get an offer of asylum from somewhere?

Pretty sure he already has offers of asylum.

Edit: Yep, thought someone said that a couple pages back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...602c_story.html

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
While Assad is fighting in order to hold on to power, he's also fighting, or thinks that he's fighting to save the Alawites. These are his people, he's responsible for them, so it's his obligation to fight as hard as possible, with any means necessary in order to preserve them. There has been pretty disturbing anti Shia and anti Alawite rhetoric by some of the Islamist groups fighting against the regime.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

If you give any credibility at all to Assad's rhetoric, then he's going to play this out to the end. But we can certainly hope that's all bullshit.

Thinking on parallels between the U.S./Libya and Russia/Syria, it really is strange that Russia hasn't acted more quickly to protect its interests in the country. Maybe they bet on the wrong horse, but I would have thought the way the U.S. handled disavowing Gadhafi would be a pretty good model for Russia in a situation like this.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 6, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e: nvm, talking about two different videos

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 6, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There's also the possibility that this is no longer Assad's war, and his crazy brother or someone else in the military is running things now.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

octoroon posted:

If you give any credibility at all to Assad's rhetoric, then he's going to play this out to the end. But we can certainly hope that's all bullshit.

Well honestly, historical odds show that Assad will fight to the very bitter end. Few dictators in History have taken the cut and run option when they are involved in an active war.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Egypt getting worse, Morsi has moved some tanks in, as if that will help anything:

quote:

Egypt deploys tanks outside Morsi palace

At least seven people have been killed and more than 770 injured in clashes outside the presidential palace in Cairo.

At least five tanks were deployed outside the Egyptian presidential palace in a street where supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Morsi had been clashing into the early hours of the morning, witnesses said.

The state news agency said the military deployment on Thursday around the palace was to "secure" the building. Nine armoured troop carriers were also reported on the street outside the palace.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/12/201212662141734397.html

And here is what Syria has to say regarding chemical weapons:

quote:

(Reuters) - Western powers are whipping up fears of a fateful move to the use of chemical weapons in Syria's civil war as a "pretext for intervention", President Bashar al-Assad's deputy foreign minister said on Thursday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/06/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE8AJ1FK20121206

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Well they're pretty much either going to use the weapons, resulting in an intervention, or not. What is he going to do, claim that thousands dead of Sarin was just a really nasty strain of the flu this year?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

octoroon posted:

Thinking on parallels between the U.S./Libya and Russia/Syria, it really is strange that Russia hasn't acted more quickly to protect its interests in the country. Maybe they bet on the wrong horse, but I would have thought the way the U.S. handled disavowing Gadhafi would be a pretty good model for Russia in a situation like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2012/10/hes_behind_you.html

Syria is a big part of the Eurasian power balance (Its location and role as Russia's connection). North Africa has less geopolitical baggage. Didn't Gaddafi try to swamp south Europe with waves of Refugees near the end?

Gaddafi 'reformed' around 03 but he was always useful to cast as the bad guy. Syria's location and deep ties to Russia (Plus their support in Desert Storm) brings lots of different interests and narratives into conflict.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

octoroon posted:

Well they're pretty much either going to use the weapons, resulting in an intervention, or not. What is he going to do, claim that thousands dead of Sarin was just a really nasty strain of the flu this year?

From the article it seems like he would claim that a chemical attack was actually a false flag operation performed by foreign entities as a pretext for invasion. They've been pushing this "foreign influence" angle for quite some time, arguing that they would never use chemical weapons (if they had them...) against their own people. Of course the fact that they routinely refer to the rebels as foreign terrorists suggests that they're willing to use an extremely liberal definition of "their" people.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

octoroon posted:

He's claiming that the reports of them are fabricated, and that they don't have these weapons and therefore aren't preparing or going to use them. He's saying that the Western powers have made it all up as an excuse to invade, a la Iraq.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

octoroon posted:

I think it kind of snowballed out of control. Putin runs on standing tough against the west. Russian relations with Syria were basically the last bastion of Russian influence in the ME, and being in hot water already, Putin had to maintain those relations or risk some serious questioning from the Russian people. Right from the get go, when Assad had soldiers open fire on demonstrations, RT and Russia portrayed the demonstrators as terrorists, Assad as defending his country, etc. I'm sure they assumed that this wouldn't be a lasting conflict with any meaningful outcome, so when the FSA formed, they doubled down on that narrative. Then the fighting kept going, and it turned into a legit civil war, and that is probably the first they legitimately had to question how they were handling it. They would either have to drop all the rhetoric they had put out about Assad, drop support, and lose influence in the area, which I imagine wouldn't have gone over too well with the Russian people, or they could keep at it and hope for Assad to pull it off. They chose the latter.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From the article it seems like he would claim that a chemical attack was actually a false flag operation performed by foreign entities as a pretext for invasion.

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-shows-syrian-rebels-testing-chemical-weapons/

Two narratives are coming into direct conflict :tinfoil:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

warning: super cute bunnies being killed in this video. don't click if you don't want to ruin your day

e: VVVV what the gently caress is a "concern troll"? And believe it or not we post disclaimers on this site for disturbing videos (i.e. every single disturbing video in this thread is marked NMS, go ahead and take a look back. just because we have all seen multiple videos of people with their intestines hanging out and dead/maimed children doesnt make this video any less disturbing)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 6, 2012

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mitztronic posted:

warning: super cute bunnies being killed in this video. don't click if you don't want to ruin your day

I think the more disturbing element is the implication that Alex Jones is a noisemaker for Russia :ssh:

I think we've all seen such horrible things in this thread that I'm not that concerned about your concern troll.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
I think it's also important to remember it isn't the first time Assad has committed massacres before, IE the Homs massacre. Wouldn't be surprised if Assad dropped some chemical weapons on civilian homes.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
On Egypt, it looks as though Brotherhood supporters are behaving like ad hoc militias against anti Islamist protesters.

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/8819/the-muslim-brotherhoods-militias-in-action_a-first

quote:

The retreat was unusual. In other protests people would run for a few seconds and then stop. This retreat covered far more distance. The usual calls of “ithbat” (Arabic for “stay put”), which are often yelled when protests experience attacks, did not seem to work. As I recovered from the run, I realized that the Muslim Brotherhood’s supporters were very close. I saw a young protester shaking his head and telling me, “they are using shotguns.” Then it registered that the big bangs I had been hearing were gunshots.

Protesters tried to charge back using what they can of rocks and chanting “Jika” (an activist who was recently killed by security forces in protests around the ministry of interior) and it worked for a few seconds. But then we heard more shotgun rounds fired, and they continued to echo for a great portion of the night. Protesters controlled the intersection for a while, but then the Brotherhood’s supporters pushed them out even farther than last time. It was when we first heard the sounds of an automatic firearm that we were pushed back farthest.

Muslim Brotherhood supporters were attacking using rocks, shotguns, blanks, live ammunition, and teargas. Their push split the crowd into three main fronts, one on each side of three intersections, namely al-Khalifa al-Ma’moun Street, Mansheyet El Bakry Street and Roxy Square. Clashes continued in various places. I moved toward al-Khalifa Al-Ma’moun Street. The clashes continued on all fronts with Brotherhood supporters outnumbering protesters, showing signs of strong organization in their attacks, and possession of superior fire power. The Molotov cocktails prepared by anti-Morsi protesters to counter the weaponry used by Muslim Brotherhood supporters were highly ineffective.

This is not the first time that Brotherhood supporters have clashed with protesters. One clash had taken place when the Muslim Brotherhood members blocked protesters from the parliament area on 31 January 2012. There was also the time when the MB attacked Popular Current activists in Tahrir Square on 12 October 2012 after they chanted against Morsi. However this is the first time we have seen the Muslim Brotherhood resorting to firearms to attack civilians in an organized fashion. This degree of organization, along with the use of arms, makes these supporters akin to a militia that comes to the aide of the president whenever he is threatened politically.

And here is a video of Ikhwan stripping and beating an anti Islamist protester, nws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5Y_vb9Ugw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Is there a shorter shelf life on these chemical weapons once the components are mixed?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Is there a shorter shelf life on these chemical weapons once the components are mixed?

I don't know about all of different chemical weapons they have, but this is very true for Sarin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin

Sarin Wikipedia entry posted:

The most important chemical reactions of phosphoryl halides is the hydrolysis of the bond between phosphorus and the fluoride. This P-F bond is easily broken by nucleophilic agents, such as water and hydroxide. At high pH, sarin decomposes rapidly to nontoxic phosphonic acid derivatives.[10][11]
Sarin degrades after a period of several weeks to several months. The shelf life can be shortened by impurities in precursor materials. According to the CIA, some Iraqi sarin had a shelf life of only a few weeks, owing mostly to impure precursors.[12] The persistence of sarin can be extended through the addition of certain oils or petroleum products.
Its otherwise short shelf life can be extended by increasing the purity of the precursor and intermediates and incorporating stabilizers such as tributylamine. In some formulations, tributylamine is replaced by diisopropylcarbodiimide (DIC), allowing sarin to be stored in aluminium casings. In binary chemical weapons, the two precursors are stored separately in the same shell and mixed to form the agent immediately before or when the shell is in flight. This approach has the dual benefit of solving the stability issue and increasing the safety of sarin munitions.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

az jan jananam posted:

On Egypt, it looks as though Brotherhood supporters are behaving like ad hoc militias against anti Islamist protesters.

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/8819/the-muslim-brotherhoods-militias-in-action_a-first

And here is a video of Ikhwan stripping and beating an anti Islamist protester, nws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5Y_vb9Ugw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Heh, I remember when people were claiming that the Muslim Brotherhood being in charge in Egypt wouldn't be a bad thing.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So, I hate to be Armchair Historian Man, but how close to Egypt coming to 19th century Paris/Ancient Rome style mob rule? Because to me at least, reading these articles it looks like whoever has the biggest crowd in Cairo gets what they want.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's like an extroverted version of democracy!

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

Dr. Tough posted:

So, I hate to be Armchair Historian Man, but how close to Egypt coming to 19th century Paris/Ancient Rome style mob rule? Because to me at least, reading these articles it looks like whoever has the biggest crowd in Cairo gets what they want.
The revolution only happened a little under two years ago and most people viewing the situation understood that Mubarak's military remained basically unmolested and that the Muslim Brotherhood only holds power because they made a pact with the military. The people genuinely made secular demands for freedom and equality, and they know they have to fight for it.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
The situation in Egypt is what I'm worried is going to happen in Syria in the end. Rebels of all beliefs have come together to fight against the government for now, but it seems that the more religious and conservative people lead the Syrian rebel government. When it finally shakes out the majority leaders will grab control and will oppress or try to rid the nation of those who don't follow their view point.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
The aftermath of most initial revolutions in the Arab spring are really hard to judge, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen.. Nothing has really turned out as rosy as first projections. This will very likely be the case in Syria, too.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of some of the Arab Spring conflicts to the American Civil War. It's a good frame of reference for most Americans, and it might be an interesting way to contextualize them as far as length, percentage of population killed, property damage, etc.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Smashurbanipal posted:

While Assad is fighting in order to hold on to power, he's also fighting, or thinks that he's fighting to save the Alawites. These are his people, he's responsible for them, so it's his obligation to fight as hard as possible, with any means necessary in order to preserve them. There has been pretty disturbing anti Shia and anti Alawite rhetoric by some of the Islamist groups fighting against the regime.

I think if Assad went ahead and used chemical weapons on the rebels, he'd pretty much be signing the death warrant of every Alawite in Syria. I can't imagine the kind of sectarian violence something like that would cause.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Thewittyname posted:

I think if Assad went ahead and used chemical weapons on the rebels, he'd pretty much be signing the death warrant of every Alawite in Syria. I can't imagine the kind of sectarian violence something like that would cause.

I think the Alawites are pretty much screwed whether Assad uses chemical weapons or not. If and when the rebels win this war, you can bet theres going to be some serious retribution and/or ethnic cleansing going on against the Alawites. Thats why as much as I would love this conflict to end its not a stretch to say that we are just in phase 1 and phase 2 could be just as bloody.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

mitztronic posted:

e: VVVV what the gently caress is a "concern troll"? And believe it or not we post disclaimers on this site for disturbing videos (i.e. every single disturbing video in this thread is marked NMS, go ahead and take a look back. just because we have all seen multiple videos of people with their intestines hanging out and dead/maimed children doesnt make this video any less disturbing)

Because with all the videos of people being killed in this mess that's not much. And for people like me who've owned pythons what happened there is really drat tame. Rabbits scream when in pain or fear and it sounds like someone is boiling a baby alive.

Rabbits are like popcorn shrimp in the animal kingdom, I have no idea how many dozens of the fuckers I've thrown to snakes over the years. And contrary to belief they aren't very sympathetic creatures. They're dumb as a rock.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mynamewas posted:

The revolution only happened a little under two years ago and most people viewing the situation understood that Mubarak's military remained basically unmolested and that the Muslim Brotherhood only holds power because they made a pact with the military. The people genuinely made secular demands for freedom and equality, and they know they have to fight for it.

Yeah, the revolution was not a 1979 Islamist one, there were plenty of Copts in the crowds, there's a picture out there with a Priest and an Imam (correct me if these titles are wrong) standing aside each other, arms over each others' shoulders, cheering everyone on, one waving a cross and the other a Quran. It's possible people took religious considerations on a personal level but the character of the whole movement was not of one religion or another. Morsi's initial moves really gave hope for a sort of rule that was either secular or exceedingly tolerant Islamist, but it's increasingly seeming like it's more of the same.

Perhaps if they overthrow Morsi they'll put in ElBaradei (as in from the IAEA) as initially rumored. Pretty sure he was in Tahrir Square in person at some point. Can't recall if there was a reason he wasn't chosen though.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

SilentD posted:

Rabbits are like popcorn shrimp in the animal kingdom, I have no idea how many dozens of the fuckers I've thrown to snakes over the years. And contrary to belief they aren't very sympathetic creatures. They're dumb as a rock.
I've owned rabbits and they all had distinct personalities and capabilities. I'm shocked, however, that someone who fed them to their pet reptile otherized the entire species. Shocked I tell you

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah, the revolution was not a 1979 Islamist one, there were plenty of Copts in the crowds, there's a picture out there with a Priest and an Imam (correct me if these titles are wrong) standing aside each other, arms over each others' shoulders, cheering everyone on, one waving a cross and the other a Quran. It's possible people took religious considerations on a personal level but the character of the whole movement was not of one religion or another. Morsi's initial moves really gave hope for a sort of rule that was either secular or exceedingly tolerant Islamist, but it's increasingly seeming like it's more of the same.

Perhaps if they overthrow Morsi they'll put in ElBaradei (as in from the IAEA) as initially rumored. Pretty sure he was in Tahrir Square in person at some point. Can't recall if there was a reason he wasn't chosen though.

From my experience and from people I had talked to El Baradei doesn't really have any support from the people of Egypt, the only people who seem to talk about El Baradei as an actual option are western journalists. He really has no grassroots support or support on the street at all. That may be changing but I don't think its as easy as just saying lets put in El Baradei because there are half a dozen other Egyptian from all stripes that have more support than he does.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Schlieren posted:

I've owned rabbits and they all had distinct personalities and capabilities. I'm shocked, however, that someone who fed them to their pet reptile otherized the entire species. Shocked I tell you

Do we really have to talk about "otherizing" rabbits? Anyhow I think we can all hopefully agree that watching rabbits be killed is not pleasant for some people and it's fair to post a warning while at the same time acknowledging that it doesn't even begin to approach the horrors being described elsewhere in this thread. Okay?

Back on topic, am I the only one who thinks it's incredibly unlikely that the latest Tahrir unrest will result in unseating Morsi? The original revolution had the backing of broad swaths of the country and now it seems like with the Muslim Brotherhood split off defending Morsi nothing can come of this but unrequited bloodshed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Swarmin Swedes posted:

From my experience and from people I had talked to El Baradei doesn't really have any support from the people of Egypt, the only people who seem to talk about El Baradei as an actual option are western journalists. He really has no grassroots support or support on the street at all. That may be changing but I don't think its as easy as just saying lets put in El Baradei because there are half a dozen other Egyptian from all stripes that have more support than he does.

Well, there could be a dozen insurrections and revolutions that whittle down the leadership of these factions until only El Baradei remains. He'll be like a liberal Khomenini.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Schlieren posted:

I can't really "otherize" rabbits as I am not a rabbit, this is common sense.

Just about everything in the wild eats rabbits, not just snakes, if you have a dog or a cat watch what they do when they catch one. I preferred to kill them myself (less screaming for the neighbors to get all snappy about) but some snakes won't eat dead animals, in which case nature has to take it's course.

And out of all the myriad of animals I've feed to snakes (mice, rats, chickens, rabbits, and the occasional animal they snagged on their own) the only ones dumber than the rabbits were the chickens.

I've had pet rats that I enjoyed and had fun with, doesn't mean I feel anything throwing rats to snakes. Snakes gotta eat.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oh, it's SilentD. Of course. He likes to get people riled up and distracted.

Did you know he's a liberal democrat who makes a lot of money and scores with brainless chicks he convinces he's sensitive?

Anyhow, so back to being concerned about things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SilentD posted:

I can't really "otherize" rabbits as I am not a rabbit, this is common sense.

You sound like a pleasant human being. I bet talking about killing animals in cold blood is a perfect ice breaker at parties. Now shut up, please.

mynamewas posted:

Well, yeah, he made pact with the army - but what other options were there? Making peace with the softer wing of the ruling elites is generally a better guarantee of democracy in the long run than trying to oust them as fast as possible and risking their fighting back. I'm afraid it won't be possible to tell whether or not democracy has a chance before a significant generational change in leadership occurs: Then the new politicians will be able to decide between using democratic institutions in the way they were intended, or installing an authoritarian regime. What we have now is just a transitional period before that decision.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Thanks for the clarification. I'd imagine his work for the IAEA kept him residing somewhere outside Egypt, which makes him pretty much a non-starter if they had people in the country.

I sort of assumed the revolution wasn't readily full of political leaders with national prominence as the government was controlled by Mubarak. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
With Morsy going full Mubarak and Tunisia still dealing with unrest between leftists and Islamists, does that mean Libya currently has the brightest outlook of all the Arab Spring countries? Who would've guessed that a year ago?

• Locked thread