Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
right arm
Oct 30, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

Figured as much, thanks for the confirmation.

Another idea just occurred to me...I'm on a family plan with like 5 other people and have been for several years. A few years ago someone on our plan wasn't eligible for an upgrade, but got a subsidized phone anyway by using the upgrade from someone else on our plan. First of all, will Verizon still let me do that? Second of all, if they will, and if someone on our plan would allow me to use their upgrade, would I still be able to keep my unlimited data since the upgrade is technically for their line?

edit: I googled for answers to this but found about a dozen different conflicting responses. I see that upgrade transfers are still a thing, but I can't get a straight answer on keeping unlimited data. I guess the best thing to do is just go into a corporate store and ask.

Just have the person whose upgrade you want to steal go into the store and pick up whatever phone you want at the subsidized cost, or order online from their logged in vzw account. Then when you're out of the store or have the box, open the box, pop your sim in and activate (if you got a 4g lte phone) (I hope you're getting a 4g lte phone if you're getting a subsidized one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Bull, are you a root user?

I was fiddling around w my mother's galaxy note 2 today, and honestly, the more I handle it, the more I don't like it. I don't think its too big or anything, I just can't loving stand samsungs touchwiz. The font used for all the text in the phone bothers me, the system settings menu bothers me, the physical home key bothers me. I haven't had a real reason to root a phone as moto is <3. And personally I think rooting a phone for the sole purpose of tweaking a software skin is stupid. (To each their own). Suppose I'm afraid to get samsunged.

Gah, the Maxx HD makes my mouth water. I feel both phones are just as future proof..the Maxx HD maybe a bit more as there is no physical button to gently caress up. Not to mention that guaranteed battery life. My step brother has a razr HD and I was extremely jealous when he bought that sucker.

I think ultimately I'm just upset that moto doesn't have a phone with the 3300mah battery, and a larger screen. I'm a whore I suppose. 4.7 seems tiny after holding the note 2. Bleh

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just got the jellybean update on my maxx hd. Seems sweet so far. I know I am happy to see that the on-screen navigation buttons now properly slide off of the side to give me a full view when using the netflix app now. Before they would sit around annoying me.

The only real downside I've seen so far is that the update brings new crapware you have to disable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cuedotcom posted:

Bull, are you a root user?

No, I've really never had much of a reason to root my phone.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I also woke up this morning to the JB update on my Razr Maxx HD. Took about 15 minutes for it to update. I'm in Washington DC if that matters.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Chaitai posted:

I also woke up this morning to the JB update on my Razr Maxx HD. Took about 15 minutes for it to update. I'm in Washington DC if that matters.

Same here. It's installing right now. in Richmond VA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Motorola guys mentioned that this was a VERY short soak test for them, it only lasted 2 1/2 days really (rollout started Monday morning and go/no-go decision was made yesterday afternoon.)

It also seems like they are making general availability of the update to more people sooner as well, I wouldn't be surprised it it was available to everyone by Saturday. Hopefully, this is a sign of a new trend at Motorola and Verizon.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So, I haven't noticed any real improvements in speed with project butter and the like. Haven't had any real reason to use google now. Don't like that they changed the contact background to white instead of the black that it was before.

I do like having a curved back button instead of the square variation that came stock on the phone though and that makes me happy :D

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is the Galaxy S3 on the most ROM/root friendly device on VZW?

I'm getting my 4th Galaxy Nexus tomorrow as a warranty replacement, and if it doesn't work out, I'm going to eat an upgrade and get a new phone.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
I've pretty much decided to get a Note 2 for full retail price ($699) to keep my unlimited data. What's the usual timing on price reductions? I'm assuming they won't be reducing it until another flagship phone comes along from Samsung, so it will probably be like 6-8 months, right? Also, does Verizon ever do any sort of after-Christmas sale?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thewittyname posted:

I've pretty much decided to get a Note 2 for full retail price ($699) to keep my unlimited data. What's the usual timing on price reductions? I'm assuming they won't be reducing it until another flagship phone comes along from Samsung, so it will probably be like 6-8 months, right? Also, does Verizon ever do any sort of after-Christmas sale?

Sales never include unsubsidized prices and in general, unsubsidized prices don't go down. The original RAZR and Rezound are still $600 and $650 from Verizon. The only thing waiting will get you is cheaper used prices. The Galaxy S3 for example looks to be $350-400 on eBay by now.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

meanwhile my GS3 sits here weeping slowly

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

BoyBlunder posted:

Is the Galaxy S3 on the most ROM/root friendly device on VZW?

I'm getting my 4th Galaxy Nexus tomorrow as a warranty replacement, and if it doesn't work out, I'm going to eat an upgrade and get a new phone.

I've been running Jellybean on my Galaxy S3 for months now and loving it, so yeah, it's pretty well supported. I think pretty much all the RAZR phones have their bootloaders locked.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

RVProfootballer posted:

Sales never include unsubsidized prices and in general, unsubsidized prices don't go down. The original RAZR and Rezound are still $600 and $650 from Verizon. The only thing waiting will get you is cheaper used prices. The Galaxy S3 for example looks to be $350-400 on eBay by now.

Good to know, thanks. I guess I'll just pick one up now - I'm so, so tired of owning a Thunderbolt.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My god, I am so loving frustrated with VZW it's ridiculous. I'm looking for advice here from someone.

Last January, I bought a Galaxy Nexus. It was great, and lasted until Aug, when the speaker went bad. I got warranty replacement #1.

#1 lasted until last week, due to the same issue. I got warranty replacement #2, and that one was bad outside the box (it wouldn't connect to anything Bluetooth). I then got my 3rd warranty replacement today, and it has a recessed loving power button, right outside the box.

I called Verizon again, and laid everything out to them. They would only send me a phone that was "equal" to a Galaxy Nexus, so an LG Spectrum, or something like that. gently caress that. I offered to use my upgrade (I have one available), give up my unlimited data, sign for another 2 years, if I could get a discount on a subsidized priced new phone. They wouldn't budge. Despite being a VZW customer since 1995, they wouldn't do one thing.

What can I do here? I explained to them that I will be cancelling my service as soon as possible without an ETF, and to just send me another Galaxy Nexus (I hope to god that this one works). Do I have any recourse at all with these assholes?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Wow, they consider the LG Spectrum is equivalent to the G'Nex? Seriously? I figured the Razr or Razr MAXX would have been considered similar.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

JayKay posted:

Wow, they consider the LG Spectrum is equivalent to the G'Nex? Seriously?

Yes, I explained to them that I wanted something that was running software that came out this year. They didn't even offer a RAZR _____.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BoyBlunder posted:

My god, I am so loving frustrated with VZW it's ridiculous. I'm looking for advice here from someone.

Last January, I bought a Galaxy Nexus. It was great, and lasted until Aug, when the speaker went bad. I got warranty replacement #1.

#1 lasted until last week, due to the same issue. I got warranty replacement #2, and that one was bad outside the box (it wouldn't connect to anything Bluetooth). I then got my 3rd warranty replacement today, and it has a recessed loving power button, right outside the box.

I called Verizon again, and laid everything out to them. They would only send me a phone that was "equal" to a Galaxy Nexus, so an LG Spectrum, or something like that. gently caress that. I offered to use my upgrade (I have one available), give up my unlimited data, sign for another 2 years, if I could get a discount on a subsidized priced new phone. They wouldn't budge. Despite being a VZW customer since 1995, they wouldn't do one thing.

What can I do here? I explained to them that I will be cancelling my service as soon as possible without an ETF, and to just send me another Galaxy Nexus (I hope to god that this one works). Do I have any recourse at all with these assholes?

Get another warranty replacement. I'm on #4 or #5 now. Get it done, Sell it, Buy a phone full price. Or just use it, I'm back to using my most recent replacement. My Razr Maxx needs JB :(

Honestly, I've had super luck with VZW. Any time we have any issues I remind them we've been paying 300-600$ a month bill for over 10 years. They gladly fix my problems.

You could go into a corp store and see if you can find a rep thats not a shithead to goto bat for you over the phone. Sometimes a call from a corp rep to warranty will get better results.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Call them back and get someone else. The nexus should be at the same level as the RAZR M. They might not have even checked.

Spectrum DID get ICS few weeks ago and isn't that bad anymore. IMHO the hardware is better than the nexus but there is better stuff out there than both.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Is there any likelihood of getting my GS3 swapped out for a RAZR Max? When I purchased it in July, I was told it would support world roaming on GSM well before the international travel I start off on in late December... As of now the update release is still unannounced.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
The HD Maxx is ridiculous . I'm a power user where I stream radio for hours and hours at work and then go to the gym and stream for another two hours. This thing doesn't mind at all. Honestly for people that are off the charger like I am for many hours this phone is just a beast and I hope Motorola keeps making phones like this a norm for them cause they have my business for the foreseeable future.

Flewdefur
Dec 19, 2003
. .
I'm currently on ATT, but I'd like to switch to VZW + GS3.

As a new customer, is there any value in buying a used phone as opposed to getting the subsidy?

As far as I can tell, VZW will NOT reduce the monthly cost if you come with your own phone. Will they at least let you go month to month without a 2year contract?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

stormrider posted:

Is there any likelihood of getting my GS3 swapped out for a RAZR Max? When I purchased it in July, I was told it would support world roaming on GSM well before the international travel I start off on in late December... As of now the update release is still unannounced.

Non HD razr?

How beat up is your S3? I might be willing to trade my maxx :)

Flewdefur posted:

I'm currently on ATT, but I'd like to switch to VZW + GS3.

As a new customer, is there any value in buying a used phone as opposed to getting the subsidy?

As far as I can tell, VZW will NOT reduce the monthly cost if you come with your own phone. Will they at least let you go month to month without a 2year contract?

Just sign a contract. There is no good reason not to, and worst case you can flip an iPhone or something. Being on VZW off contract shows you no positive side. Use your subsidy.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
My mom is considering the Note 2, but I've come to love the apple store support method. I live in LA, she lives in San Diego, so when she has problems with her iPhone I just tell her to take it to the apple store and they always take care of it. She hates going to the Verizon store, they're always trying to sell her new poo poo when she doesn't want it, so she's come to enjoy the apple store as well.

Basically if she buys it from a place like best buy and buys the insurance plan, can I just tell her to go back there when she calls me with a problem?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

My mom is considering the Note 2, but I've come to love the apple store support method. I live in LA, she lives in San Diego, so when she has problems with her iPhone I just tell her to take it to the apple store and they always take care of it. She hates going to the Verizon store, they're always trying to sell her new poo poo when she doesn't want it, so she's come to enjoy the apple store as well.

Basically if she buys it from a place like best buy and buys the insurance plan, can I just tell her to go back there when she calls me with a problem?

Yea but shes not gonna get the same service as the apple store and probably just hate going to bestbuy.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

chupacabraTERROR posted:

One thing Apple does right is customer service, and you aren't really going to get that level of it anywhere else. That is frankly one reason I regret getting my mom an Android phone is that I'm basically her tech support.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

She really, really likes the note so we are going that route. We will buy the best buy insurance plan so she can break it and still get support for 2 years, even if it is lovely support.

Outstanding issues:
-backup software? If she needs a replacement how do we restore her apps/data?
-visual voicemail? This is free for iPhones but Verizon wants to charge $3/month for it? Is there an app that can replicate this functionality?
-photo backup? iPhone has photo stream, does Samsung have a similar service that keeps photos, or do I have to setup Dropbox?

Can't think of any other issues coming from an iPhone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chupacabraTERROR posted:

She really, really likes the note so we are going that route. We will buy the best buy insurance plan so she can break it and still get support for 2 years, even if it is lovely support.

Outstanding issues:
-backup software? If she needs a replacement how do we restore her apps/data?
-visual voicemail? This is free for iPhones but Verizon wants to charge $3/month for it? Is there an app that can replicate this functionality?
-photo backup? iPhone has photo stream, does Samsung have a similar service that keeps photos, or do I have to setup Dropbox?

Can't think of any other issues coming from an iPhone.
Backup: The applications will restore automatically when activating the new device, and data will if the developer supports it. Hardly any developers support this, so if you want to back up data, you can either root and use something like Titanium Backup or you can use the ADB backup command.

Visual Voicemail: Google Voice does this and it's free. It's easy to use and works fine with Verizon.

Photo Backup: You can set all photos to go to a private Google+ album or to Dropbox or (I think) Picasa.

Can I ask why she's decided on the Note 2? Does she have poor vision or was she just sucked in by the Samsung Marketing Machine?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Backup: The applications will restore automatically when activating the new device, and data will if the developer supports it. Hardly any developers support this, so if you want to back up data, you can either root and use something like Titanium Backup or you can use the ADB backup command.

Visual Voicemail: Google Voice does this and it's free. It's easy to use and works fine with Verizon.

Photo Backup: You can set all photos to go to a private Google+ album or to Dropbox or (I think) Picasa.

Can I ask why she's decided on the Note 2? Does she have poor vision or was she just sucked in by the Samsung Marketing Machine?
Poor vision. We just went to the Verizon store and I showed it to her and her reaction was "wow everything is so much clearer". I showed her the texting app and she loved the autocorrect bar, saying she hates how the iPhone doesn't do it. She also likes how you can search for contacts easier, her words not mine. Not sure what that means but it's her decision. She also loved the stylus. She is really bad at texting or doing things that require precise finger input. She also plans to use the stylus at work with excel and word documents on the big screen.

Basically it's the most excited I've ever seen her about technology, and it's probably because for the first time in years that she can actually see the screen!

iPhone is the best phone for me, this one seems the best for her, so I'm just trying to set it up so the things she likes about the iPhone carry over.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Poor vision. We just went to the Verizon store and I showed it to her and her reaction was "wow everything is so much clearer". I showed her the texting app and she loved the autocorrect bar, saying she hates how the iPhone doesn't do it. She also likes how you can search for contacts easier, her words not mine. Not sure what that means but it's her decision. She also loved the stylus. She is really bad at texting or doing things that require precise finger input. She also plans to use the stylus at work with excel and word documents on the big screen.

Basically it's the most excited I've ever seen her about technology, and it's probably because for the first time in years that she can actually see the screen!

iPhone is the best phone for me, this one seems the best for her, so I'm just trying to set it up so the things she likes about the iPhone carry over.

And the note 2 is one of the best phones on VZW right now. Handful of goons bitch about the size, but honestly I know tiny women who carry it and love it simply because its so large and the battery is awesome.

Feel good about the purchase. For sure.

Visual voicemail through google voice is flakey at best when you're not full time using a google voice #. I said gently caress it and pay big red for it. Because their poo poo just works right. Its 3 bucks. Whoopy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

How long has "Caller Name ID" been a thing on Verizon? For 2 bucks this is worth it to me.

Wasn't sure how it would work, but on the RAZR HD the caller's name from caller ID shows right up on the incoming call screen, and in the missed call notifications if I don't pick up.

I guess it's device-dependent since I can't add it to my wife's iPhone.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not using a Google voice number and I've never had any issues with visual voice mail over three different phones and numerous versions on Android and iOS for whatever that is worth. The translations can be hilariously bad but it has always worked.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Galler posted:

I'm not using a Google voice number and I've never had any issues with visual voice mail over three different phones and numerous versions on Android and iOS for whatever that is worth. The translations can be hilariously bad but it has always worked.

Which is flakey. Not a fan, Google voice has been nothing but trouble for me. Folks tried it on their Eris also, Was poop sandwich there too. Dad missed a few super important biz calls. No good.

OG droid it worked alright. Droid X, Didnt work for poo poo. LG Revo, Well the phone was poo poo so whatever. Nexus and razr maxx, Both dont get 1/2 my poo poo.

At least with Verizons, I dont miss important voice mails. And we're talking about someone whos moving from an iPhone who most likely wants it to work correctly. I love google and all, But VVM sucks through google.

The Translations are totally funny though. So If I never got important voicemails, Id keep it for the humor alone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Google Voice has always worked 100% properly for me on both my Droid X and Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The transcriptions might not be that great but I never missed a voicemail and listening to them worked great. I never knew anyone had a problem with it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Visual voicemail through google voice is flakey at best when you're not full time using a google voice #. I said gently caress it and pay big red for it. Because their poo poo just works right. Its 3 bucks. Whoopy.

I would recommended using the GV # as your main number instead. It has better call blocking features, visual voicemail, supports call forwarding to multiple devices, and you can easily retain your phone number if you switch carriers. I switched to GV full-time about 2 years ago and I think it's awesome. The only problem I had with it was that it went down twice for a couple hours total. Although, last time it went down was a good year and a half ago I think.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Google Voice has always worked 100% properly for me on both my Droid X and Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The transcriptions might not be that great but I never missed a voicemail and listening to them worked great. I never knew anyone had a problem with it.

Funny how that works right? Internet and all that.

The Gadfly posted:

I would recommended using the GV # as your main number instead. It has better call blocking features, visual voicemail, supports call forwarding to multiple devices, and you can easily retain your phone number if you switch carriers. I switched to GV full-time about 2 years ago and I think it's awesome. The only problem I had with it was that it went down twice for a couple hours total. Although, last time it went down was a good year and a half ago I think.

Well recently the app itself crashed and didnt work for how long?

Voice is great. And If I was on sprint, Id use it far more. But I'm not, and I dont. And I'd never recommend it full time for someone whos not willing to have it "just stop working" or "the app crashes because of an update for a week" etc. Its just not worth it. At least with carrier voice mail you can always get your messages.

But this is also coming from someone who deals with end user consumers for this stuff. Not GOONS who have a backbone of support via a forum.

Its just not there yet. Sorry.

Hell, I tried to explain the MMS thing to my parents when they first got android. Talk about confusion. "I have to email them? Why? Why cant i just send them through here bla bla" Its confusing and unnecessary for the average person.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Worst case is Google Voice doesn't show you the voicemail. Your phone will still show you have a missed call.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Well recently the app itself crashed and didnt work for how long?

I don't think my GV crashed on the update. However, I'm still running Android 2.2 on an original Droid Incredible with a custom ROM so yeah, I'm not exactly running the most common setup.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Gadfly posted:

I don't think my GV crashed on the update. However, I'm still running Android 2.2 on an original Droid Incredible with a custom ROM so yeah, I'm not exactly running the most common setup.

Oh some update broke non JB devices or some poo poo for a week. It wasnt a huge deal for normal people not using the crap for main communication, But it was some force close nonsense that prevented you from using it at all. Again, I dont remember the exact what and where, But fact is it blew poo poo up enough it was a liability. *shrug*

Worst case is Google Voice doesn't show you the voicemail. Your phone will still show you have a missed call.

Yet you're unsure of the number because its a potential client that you dont have saved (happens to me daily). You think nothing of it because *Gasp* telemarketers are now using local numbers. You now lost business because of it because you tended to other things.

Again. Basic average consumers. Not GOONS with understanding how technology works. And to be honest whos going to check their voicemail every time you miss a call and theres no notification theres a voicemail? Oh right, Nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if you were touched in a no-no place by GV at some point but I know dozens of people who've been using it exclusively for years for their voicemail and it works perfectly. You probably didn't set it up right, it requires doing things a little differently on Verizon.

• Locked thread