Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
The Invisibles omnibus: Worth my time or should I stick to trades?

Is the material in the omni different to the trades (recoloured, censored, etc.)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Ghost Boner posted:

Is the material in the omni different to the trades (recoloured, censored, etc.)?

I never read it before the collection, but it reads a lot easier than I thought it would. Still not something you could curl up with, though.
Could come in handy during a home invasion

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
New DC trades & hardcovers for March

Gonna get me:

BATMAN, INCORPORATED VOL. 1: DEMON STAR HC
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by CHRIS BURNHAM and FRAZER IRVING
Cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
On sale MAY 8 • 176 pg, FC, $24.99 US
• In this DC Comics–The New 52 collection, Batman and Robin face off against the assassin called Goatboy as Leviathan's sinister mission continues to develop!
• Plus: Someone is trying to kill Damian; Wingman and Redbird descend upon Gotham City; and much more!
• Collects BATMAN, INCORPORATED #0-6.

It doesn't say Deluxe, but it drat well better be.

THE AUTHORITY VOL. 1 HC
Written by WARREN ELLIS and MARK MILLAR
Art by BRYAN HITCH, FRANK QUITELY and others
Cover by BRYAN HITCH and PAUL NEARY
On sale MAY 15 • 296 pg, FC, $29.99 US
• At last, the original run of THE AUTHORITY is collected in hardcover!
• First, the new team battles a nation of super-powered terrorists and stops an invasion from a parallel world. Then, the team faces a godlike invader returns to Earth after eons in exile.
• Collecting THE AUTHORITY #1-12.

Also, for those interested, the Absolute Blackest Night has been expanded to what it should have been in the first place:
ABSOLUTE BLACKEST NIGHT HC
Written by GEOFF JOHNS, PETER J. TOMASI and others
Art by IVAN REIS and others
Cover by IVAN REIS and OCLAIR ALBERT
RESOLICIT • On sale JUNE 26 • 576 pg, FC, 8.25" x 12.5", $125.00 US
• The prophecy of the Blackest Night descends on the DC Universe! Can Hal Jordan lead DC's champions against an army of Black Lanterns?
• Expanded to include BLACKEST NIGHT #0, BLACKEST NIGHT #1-8, UNTOLD TALES OF THE BLACKEST NIGHT #1, DC UNIVERSE #0, the BLACKEST NIGHT DIRECTOR'S CUT #1, and GREEN LANTERN #43-48 and 50-52!
Retailers: This title is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.

I don't recall seeing that mentioned earlier. (And seriously, they couldn't fit the John Stewart/Xanshi story from GL 49 in there?)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 7, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Ghost Boner posted:

I broke down and took a copy home from the shop the last time I worked. I haven't done a direct comparison, but the art is oversized and generally looks better.

It can be difficult to read in the sense that the book is unwieldy, but it is never difficult to actually read anything going on. The way they've got the spine, you don't lose stuff to the gutter, even in the dead center of the book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fuckin' finally on that Authority trade. I never cared for the Millar run so having the original 12 in one book will fill a hole in my collection.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Rhyno posted:

Fuckin' finally on that Authority trade. I never cared for the Millar run so having the original 12 in one book will fill a hole in my collection.

Get the Absolute you poof. That solicit cannot be correct, right? Millar and Quitely didn't start until #13.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 7, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

Get the Absolute you poof. That solicit cannot be correct, right? Millar and Quitely didn't start until #13.
I'm sure it's just a goof. I'll happily take a matching Vol. 2 of their run.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

I'm sure it's just a goof. I'll happily take a matching Vol. 2 of their run.

I cannot believe (Actaully, I can) that DC is doing standard size HCs of some of Hitch's best work. I am NEVER getting rid my Absolute Authority volumes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Glenn Danzig posted:

I cannot believe (Actaully, I can) that DC is doing standard size HCs of some of Hitch's best work. I am NEVER getting rid my Absolute Authority volumes.

What do you expect its the DC Trade Department?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

I cannot believe (Actaully, I can) that DC is doing standard size HCs of some of Hitch's best work.
That is unfortunate, I agree.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you expect its the DC Trade Department?

Glenn Danzig posted:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I mean at least you are getting it and hopefully it will have all the issues and not be messed up. I expect very little from them.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean at least you are getting it and hopefully it will have all the issues and not be messed up. I expect very little from them.

This sounds like a good example of "Battered Reader Syndrome"

DC only publishes lovely collections because they love us.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Glenn Danzig posted:

This sounds like a good example of "Battered Reader Syndrome"

DC only publishes lovely collections because they love us.

I would let them back in if they give me Shade volume 4.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Are DC's non-Absolute hardcovers worth buying yet? I've always heard bad things about them. The only one I've picked up was a Kirby Fourth World but I don't think the King's art should feel that light...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

Have you priced that one out lately?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Have you priced that one out lately?

No need Bro.

Adam Strange posted:

Are DC's non-Absolute hardcovers worth buying yet? I've always heard bad things about them. The only one I've picked up was a Kirby Fourth World but I don't think the King's art should feel that light...

No, but I rarely think hardcovers are worth getting unless they are oversized or have some other feature not found in their softcover counterpart.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
In other news, this is dumb:

Marvel NOW! Omnibus!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/comics/article/55054-marvel-announces-supersized-marvel-now-omnibus.html

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dc already did this
http://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-The-New-52/dp/1401234518/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354914361&sr=8-2&keywords=dc+52+omnibus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

No need Bro.

No, but I rarely think hardcovers are worth getting unless they are oversized or have some other feature not found in their softcover counterpart.

See I passed on it when it was new and by the time I wanted it the book was rarer than a well written Dan Slott comic.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

That article mentions that actually.

I can't believe that was a sales success though, what the hell? Making/buying an omnibus full of first issues is loving inane.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

See I passed on it when it was new and by the time I wanted it the book was rarer than a well written Dan Slott comic.

All 4 or 5 copies I have bought of v1 were all after it went OOP and was rather expensive. I think the most I paid was $100 total for v1 and v2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

All 4 or 5 copies I have bought of v1 were all after it went OOP and was rather expensive. I think the most I paid was $100 total for v1 and v2.

I've never run across one any cheaper than $200. I did snag a V2 for $33 at DCBS a few years ago which ended up netting me nearly $200 in profit.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've never run across one any cheaper than $200. I did snag a V2 for $33 at DCBS a few years ago which ended up netting me nearly $200 in profit.

First copy of v1 I got for $25 at the terrible shop down the street.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

First copy of v1 I got for $25 at the terrible shop down the street.

And now I hate you.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

redbackground posted:

New DC trades & hardcovers for March

Gonna get me:

BATMAN, INCORPORATED VOL. 1: DEMON STAR HC
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by CHRIS BURNHAM and FRAZER IRVING
Cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
On sale MAY 8 • 176 pg, FC, $24.99 US
• In this DC Comics–The New 52 collection, Batman and Robin face off against the assassin called Goatboy as Leviathan's sinister mission continues to develop!
• Plus: Someone is trying to kill Damian; Wingman and Redbird descend upon Gotham City; and much more!
• Collects BATMAN, INCORPORATED #0-6.

It doesn't say Deluxe, but it drat well better be.

:words:

I have been a little out of touch lately, but I grabbed the Grant Morrison, Batman Incorporated Deluxe a few months ago, is the book featured above a continuation? or is it what I already have? (its the one with the bad cyber chapter that belongs in the 90's)(I haven't read it in a while)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Slayer1597 posted:

is the book featured above a continuation?
Yes, this continues right from the book you have.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 7, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Dear DC: please don't open with the #0. I really don't think you want it at the start of that Batman Inc hardcover.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Have any of the New 52 Hardcovers been Deluxe-sized?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Have any of the New 52 Hardcovers been Deluxe-sized?

Nope.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
poo poo. That Batman Inc HC is going to be standard sized, I know it. ffffff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

poo poo. That Batman Inc HC is going to be standard sized, I know it. ffffff

gently caress. You're probably right. Just gonna wait for the complete 52 Inc hc we'll eventually get.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

gently caress. You're probably right. Just gonna wait for the complete 52 Inc hc we'll eventually get.

This is dumb and I hate DC. Guess I'll be waiting too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

This is dumb and I hate DC. Guess I'll be waiting too.

Once G-Mo is off Action they won't get any of my money aside from trades.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Once G-Mo is off Action they won't get any of my money aside from trades.

I mean, I'll be picking up Multiversity, assumedly. But yeah, once Morrison is off books, DC's going to have a hard time keeping my money. I love Jeff Lemire, but Rot World has been dragging more than a bit and I don't really think Animal Man is something I'd pick up in the trade.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I don't mind i'll just eventually get the Batman Inc absolute, it's had the most consistent art.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Lots of new Amazon fish reeled in by wildlele and posted at the MMWB:

Boom, tons of great titles!
New Archive launch with The Captain Comet Archives Vol. 1 @ 400 pages.
Also a few new showcase presents with Unknown Solder v. 2, Jonah Hex v. 2 and House of Secrets v. 3

Lastly we get a new Omnibus line for DC with Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 clocking in at 784 pages.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=dc+comics&qid=1355055373&rh=n%3A916520%2Ck%3Adc+comics&sort=-pubdate

The Authority Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis, Bryan Hitch and Paul Neary (May 21 2013)

The Justice League of America Chronicles Vol. 1 by Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky (May 28 2013)

by Marv Wolfman and George Perez (Jun 4 2013)

Watchmen: the Deluxe Edition by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Jun 4 2013)

Showcase Presents: Dc Comics Presents - Superman Team-Ups Vol. 2 by Various (Jun 4 2013)

Batman Noir: Eduardo Risso: the Deluxe Edition by Eduardo Risso and Brian Azzarello (Jun 4 2013)

Harley Quinn: Night and Day by Karl Kesel, Terry Dodson and Pete Woods (Jun 11 2013)

Superman: the Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (Jun 11 2013)

Solo: the Deluxe Edition by Various (Jun 11 2013)

Stormwatch Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis, Tom Raney and Jim Lee (Jun 18 2013)

Stormwatch Vol. 2 by Warren Ellis and Various (Jun 18 2013)\

The Silver Age Teen Titans Archives Vol. 2 by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy (Jun 25 2013)

Batgirl/Robin Year One by Chuck Dixon, Scott Beatty and Marcos Martin (Jun 25 2013)

Showcase Presents Unknown Soldier Vol. 2 by Various (Jul 2 2013)

Jack Kirby's O.M.a.C.: One Man Army Corps by Jack Kirby (Jul 2 2013)

Absolute Blackest Night by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis (Jul 2 2013)

Superman: Phantom Zone by Steve Gerber, Gene Colan and Rick Vietch (Jul 23 2013)

Camelot 3000 by Mike W. Barr and Brian Bolland (Jul 30 2013)

Superman: the Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 3 by Various (Jul 30 2013)

Batman Illustrated By Neal Adams Vol. 3 by Neal Adams and Various (Aug 6 2013)

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex Vol. 2 by Various (Aug 6 2013)

In the Days of the Mob by Jack Kirby (Aug 13 2013)

Lot 13 by Steve Niles and Glenn Fabry (Aug 13 2013)

Nightwing: Old Friends, New Enemies by Marv Wolfman and Various (Aug 20 2013)

Absolute Superman/Batman Vol. 1 by Jeph Loeb, ed Mcguiness and Michael Turner (Aug 20 2013)

Green Lantern: Sector 2814 Vol. 2 by Len Wein and Dave Gibbons (Aug 27 2013)

The Captain Comet Archives Vol. 1 by John Broome, Murphy Anderson and Carmine Infantino (Aug 27 2013) ]Showcase Presents: House of Secrets Vol. 3 by Various (Sep 3 2013)

On the Vertigo side they get all omni on us as we see Sandman Omnibus Vol. 1 @ 1040 pages, Animal Man Omnibus @ 704 pages and LOEG Omnibus @ 416 pages

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 10, 2012

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

Deluxe Solo? Sweet, I thought DC forgot all about that series.

Also nice to see Batgirl: Year One going back in print.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Sandman gets an Omnibus now too? gently caress you DC, this is just getting dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Sandman gets an Omnibus now too? gently caress you DC, this is just getting dumb.

That does seem a bit redundant with the Absolutes but I'm not going to shed tears on it taking a slot in the printing schedule. Between Solo (which I figured was gone down the hole forever) and a golden age Superman omnibus I'm thrilled. And Showcase Presents Jonah Hex volume 2! I've been waiting almost a decade for that one!

It's nice to see Kirby's OMAC coming back into print, too, but I don't need that one. I can only strongly recommend it.