Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

The engine and gearbox weigh 540kg
Been covered: It makes great power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

He is really good at dropping knowledge that's already been dropped, I think he's done it in a few other threads too.

In before "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone" response.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

djdanno13 posted:

Little late from the other jacked up cars, but I thought this Hillman was awesome.

I would drive the poo poo out of that. Did you take the photo?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All I know about the Turbo is that it has a PRV engine.

The Esprit Turbo used either a 4-cyl or a V8, neither of which is the PRV V6?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

The Esprit Turbo used either a 4-cyl or a V8, neither of which is the PRV V6?
Hmm. That seems to be the case, yeah. I wonder what I'm thinking of then?

Maybe I've gone completely around the bend and mixed it up with the Delorean (which definitely had a PRV V6).

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

travisray2004 posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of that. Did you take the photo?

Yeah I did, almost two years ago now with a 1.4mp cell phone camera. I think it turned out pretty well considering the phone and I just happened to be at the gas station with a nasty summer storm rolling in.

Edit: Since we're on a new page and we have a lack of pics so far, figured I'd throw in a couple I took much more recently at "Day at the Drags" down by Austin.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 7, 2012

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

leica posted:

IIRC the early four banger turbos weren't reliable but I could have that backwards.

I got one for my dad and he sold it within a year to replace with a truck made in 1938 (I forgot what specific vehicle he bought other than the year) which he says is more reliable. I only paid around 10k for the Esprit I found because it had cosmetic issues that I could take care of, it's quite possible it was also treated poorly mechanically though. It seemed to run fine while I briefly had it but there could have been terrible things waiting to happen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If that's actual patina and not just faked rat rod-style, that's loving awesome.

THUNDER BEAST :black101:

(Pretty well done if it is fake, though)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Okay so here the other cars from the uncle's funeral. Again, no idea what they are apart from old Fords and yes they were all restored by him.

He didnt just do showroom restos. Two rather classy hotrods also represented other work

The Mustang in the background? Yep, that too. Utterly original car I believe, didnt requre anything liek the work the older cars did.

Now.... this one took centre stage.

His car - to be honest not the best on the day (The green 40 really is stunning in person) but still, more than a bit good. I think this might also be the last one he did and might have been hurried a bit as he would have already been suffering heart issues.

That really doesn't sound right and still doesn't do it justice - drat thing is genuinely brilliant work in it's own right

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay so here the other cars from the uncle's funeral. Again, no idea what they are apart from old Fords and yes they were all restored by him.

Looks like a '40 Ford 4 door.

'34 Ford Victoria 4 door

'35 Ford Convertible Sedan 4 door

'50 Ford

KozmoNaut posted:

If that's actual patina and not just faked rat rod-style, that's loving awesome.

THUNDER BEAST :black101:

(Pretty well done if it is fake, though)

I want to believe it was, but it's hard to tell. Then again, it is Texas. Regardless it's a badass car.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 7, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

From here:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2807/mike-kojima-inspired-datsun-s30.aspx

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

This was an article posted on The Onion today, and I think we can all relate to it: http://www.theonion.com/articles/38yearold-little-boy-posts-picture-of-fast-car-he,30631/?ref=auto

Voiceover says it was a photo of a Reventón but later shows a yellow Gallardo. Get your poo poo together, Onion.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

djdanno13 posted:

I want to believe it was, but it's hard to tell. Then again, it is Texas. Regardless it's a badass car.

Can't stop, won't stop.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I follow him on YouTube and FB. I enjoy his work. :)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

That is absolutely gorgeous Jesus

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

DropShadow posted:

Voiceover says it was a photo of a Reventón but later shows a yellow Gallardo. Get your poo poo together, Onion.

Part of me wishes that error was on purpose to bring out smug replies from the exact guy that video was making fun of

(not referring to your post, moreso the 'HOLD UP, CAR GUY COMING THROUGH' comments on social media in general)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Hot Cops posted:

Part of me wishes that error was on purpose to bring out smug replies from the exact guy that video was making fun of

(not referring to your post, moreso the 'HOLD UP, CAR GUY COMING THROUGH' comments on social media in general)

I guess it could be said that the tendency towards hyper-accuracy in car talk is a quasi socially acceptable way of spergin' about something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/12/subaru-leone

Subaru Leone with an EJ22T closed-deck block, STI v8 heads, twin scroll turbo with the world's priciest Full-Race header, STI 6-speed drivetrain behind it.

Rear subframe must've been a bitch.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

djdanno13 posted:

Yeah I did, almost two years ago now with a 1.4mp cell phone camera. I think it turned out pretty well considering the phone and I just happened to be at the gas station with a nasty summer storm rolling in.

Edit: Since we're on a new page and we have a lack of pics so far, figured I'd throw in a couple I took much more recently at "Day at the Drags" down by Austin.

Both of these are amazing and I'd love to experience riding in them.

Cat Terrist posted:

Your uncle requested all of his cars be present at his funeral? Sounds like the world is now missing one awesome man.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sockington posted:

I follow him on YouTube and FB. I enjoy his work. :)

I love Nino's AE86 and started following him after the GT86 review.
Your comment made me check his Z out and I found this audio/video orgasm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfaC0YIU26k

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 7, 2012

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Hot Cops posted:

If that was the plan, it worked on me. I posted the same thing on my facebook.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Subaru Leone with an EJ22T closed-deck block, STI v8 heads, twin scroll turbo with the world's priciest Full-Race header, STI 6-speed drivetrain behind it.

That rear subframe is a stock loyale/GL subframe (called a leone overseas.) An R160 is the same footprint no matter what car it came in, so a newer one is just a bolt in affair.
It appears they used a female axle diff out of a newer EJ car and made hybrid axles by putting EJ cups on GL axles. The trailing arms look stock. An XT6 has 5x100 hubs, so you just have to source XT6 parts to 5lug swap a GL.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

For now though, the car is put away for the winter as he doesn’t the want the road salt to destroy the pristine vintage Subaru.

These are words I never would have though I'd see written for an '86 Subaru.

Talk about a sleeper though, wow.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That Subaru is loving awesome for many reasons, but I personally love it because an '86 Loyale is the first car I ever broke the 100mph mark in, and it's cool to see one that's actually built to haul rear end.

SierraEchoBravo posted:

These are words I never would have though I'd see written for an '86 Subaru.

Talk about a sleeper though, wow.

The Loyale I learned to love speed in was taken off the road a year later because the body was literally rusting in half; you could see it sagging around the B-pillar if all the doors were opened. :gonk: Every '80s Subaru I've seen in my area has been destroyed by rust, far worse than any '80s Toyota or Honda I have seen.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Terrible Robot posted:

That Subaru is loving awesome for many reasons, but I personally love it because an '86 Loyale is the first car I ever broke the 100mph mark in, and it's cool to see one that's actually built to haul rear end.

You went 100 in an 86 GL? Jesus loving christ. That's scary/awesome. Was it being dropped out of an airplane??? hah.

My 89 is lifted and whatnot. The fastest I've ever had it was about 90. And that was going sideways on a dirt road :getin:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

He's only two hours away. I have to head out to some Toronto area Subaru events sometime. :dance:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

chrisgt posted:

You went 100 in an 86 GL? Jesus loving christ. That's scary/awesome. Was it being dropped out of an airplane??? hah.

My 89 is lifted and whatnot. The fastest I've ever had it was about 90. And that was going sideways on a dirt road :getin:

Haha it took almost a half mile to get to 100 and felt like it was going to fall apart (which, in hindsight, it was). I was also 15 at the time, driving my friends car with just a learners because he was baked as gently caress and I hadn't discovered the wonders of pot yet, it was the middle of the night, and I was unfamiliar with the road. It was like the perfect storm of stupidity and bad decisions, but goddamn it was fun. I've gone faster in cars since, but I've never felt as scared as I did in that car. RIP Thrasher.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terrible Robot posted:

Haha it took almost a half mile to get to 100 and felt like it was going to fall apart (which, in hindsight, it was). I was also 15 at the time, driving my friends car with just a learners because he was baked as gently caress and I hadn't discovered the wonders of pot yet, it was the middle of the night, and I was unfamiliar with the road. It was like the perfect storm of stupidity and bad decisions, but goddamn it was fun. I've gone faster in cars since, but I've never felt as scared as I did in that car. RIP Thrasher.

I did a similar thing in my first car. 100mph indicated in a 1974 Datsun 710. Olive green with tan plastic and vinyl interior.

I was on my way to a camping spot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How was the 710? That's a car I don't hear much about.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

:911:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

lol the doors look like France's flag lol

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

I drat near lost it at the tilt nose. Holy poo poo that thing owns. :circlefap:

Any other info on it?

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 8, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I actually copied this post from the terrible thread reply box. It's hideous, but when I saw it in preview I said "nope, other thread".

I bet it rides and sounds like farm equipment.

e- all I know about it is the buy it now is $14,000 on OVE.com

quote:

1988 chevy pick custom built truck tribute to UNITED STATES AIR FORCE lots of time and money was put in to built this truck runs and drives great all trades welcome

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 8, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CharlesM posted:

How was the 710? That's a car I don't hear much about.

It was 1996 and I thought NOFX was a good band. Basically my opinion of anything was irrelevant, including the ugly curvy cousin of the 510.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jonathan posted:

It was 1996 and I thought NOFX was a good band.

I sometimes put on, "The Decline" on my phone so I don't have to change songs while washing up the dishes. :unsmith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nofx owns, but Datsun 710s? Well... you can get em to look pretty nice if you've got a loooot of time!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This car is incredible, Sock please go check it out and take pics :)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cygni posted:

Nofx owns, but Datsun 710s? Well... you can get em to look pretty nice if you've got a loooot of time!

I guess any car can look good in some sort of grassroots racing trim.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jonathan posted:

It was 1996 and I thought NOFX was a good band. Basically my opinion of anything was irrelevant, including the ugly curvy cousin of the 510.

NOFX were and continue to be a Good Band. I don't think I'll ever stop listening to Wolves in Wolves' Clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Serious brown pants time:

:stare: