Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Vanboat!

http://youtu.be/32kK7lQZSks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KozmoNaut posted:

Serious brown pants time:

:stare:

Not that this was the case here as thats pretty loving terrible, but I don't know how many loving times I'll be sitting with blinker on waiting for someone to let me in, and everyone just forces there way around. Eventually I run out of room. On ramps are the worst, people actually pull out from behind me, and then sit beside me in the lane I'm supposed to be merging into.

My truck weighs 140,000lbs. Is 84.5' long and has over 88,000lbs of Methanol as payload with bright flammable placards on the sides, and these pieces of poo poo just cruise beside me while 5 or 6 bright rear end LED turn signal lights blink in their faces.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jonathan posted:

Not that this was the case here as thats pretty loving terrible, but I don't know how many loving times I'll be sitting with blinker on waiting for someone to let me in, and everyone just forces there way around. Eventually I run out of room. On ramps are the worst, people actually pull out from behind me, and then sit beside me in the lane I'm supposed to be merging into.

My truck weighs 140,000lbs. Is 84.5' long and has over 88,000lbs of Methanol as payload with bright flammable placards on the sides, and these pieces of poo poo just cruise beside me while 5 or 6 bright rear end LED turn signal lights blink in their faces.

I'd let you through. It pisses me off when people do that to trucks. But conversely when a truck driver is just a dick and forces me off the road for some reason I don't like that. The vast majority are good but there are always some.

People still act like dicks to truck drivers around here even though there are quite a large number with "explosives" placards on them

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

People still act like dicks to truck drivers around here even though there are quite a large number with "explosives" placards on them

They seem used to it. I saw a double trailer trying to pass a slow-as-hell Uhaul a couple weeks ago, and he slowed down just expecting me to force him to hold back. When I gave him the 'go' double flash, it may have taken an extra fifteen seconds of my life behind him, but he didn't have to gear down and hold it for the annoying hill he was going over.

I got a four flash 'thank you', when I am used to two. He even stuck his arm out and waved as I went by after he pulled around it. There's nothing wrong with being courteous.. or forbid, civil.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed, I usually let truckers go if it's not going to completely destroy the flow of traffic. I got road raged pretty hard last year when I let a trucker into my lane (3-2 merge/zipper in rush hour in a construction zone, he'd been stuck for a while because no one was letting him in) - the guy in the luxobarge behind me flipped out, started honking and flipping me off, etc. He passed me and brake-checked me the second we got out of the construction zone, fortunately I saw that coming so I had already downshifted and hit the brakes... then he threw his dunkies coffee out the window at me.

I was driving a beat up rusty truck with a cracked windshield and a quarter inch thick layer of mud, so I swerved, caught it on the hood, and waved. For some reason he didn't think that was quite as funny as I did.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm wondering how the red Volvo fared, as he was starting a pretty decent swerve.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

"Top. Men."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Plenty more where that came from too: http://youtu.be/i5vVgbilhKA (4:25 is crazy)

e. Warning there are definitely some fatalities in there

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im not much for Magazine produced car shows on youtube, but this specific episode could be the best car show I have ever seen.

(Pump gas IHRA pro stock style mountain motors on street tires in Australia)

Also watch passed the credits for loud whipple charged whiney donuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYeBHtoxs7g

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That is some M.A.S.K. level awesomeness right there!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlesM posted:

I'm wondering how the red Volvo fared, as he was starting a pretty decent swerve.

Pretty sure he collided with at least the car the video was taken from (seeing as the windshield cracks just as the truck passes it, that's probably a pretty solid hit) and possibly the truck next to him.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Only a crappy VH model Commodore, but it's cool as poo poo :colbert:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

dissss posted:

Plenty more where that came from too: http://youtu.be/i5vVgbilhKA (4:25 is crazy)

What happened to that truck carrying what appear to be train axles? Did the trailer crack in half from weight or something?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks (and sounds) like a tire blowout.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Pretty sure he collided with at least the car the video was taken from (seeing as the windshield cracks just as the truck passes it, that's probably a pretty solid hit) and possibly the truck next to him.

Yeah, I gathered that much, it's the next part that could be really bad (or maybe not).

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

dissss posted:

I am amazed the cars that are filming don't all get rear-ended when they stop to avoid an accident in these videos...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jonathan posted:

Im not much for Magazine produced car shows on youtube, but this specific episode could be the best car show I have ever seen.

gently caress. Yes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jonathan posted:

I posted it in the Youtube thread as well, it's just completely awesome.

I'm not much for magazine-produced shows either, but Roadkill is absolutely one of the best car-related shows on Youtube, right along with Chris Harris On Cars and Mighty Car Mods. Freiburger and Finnegan have awesome chemistry and a complete lack of common sense that just makes you want to hang out and do stupid car poo poo with them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

jonathan posted:

Yeah, I watched that.
Let me tell you there are plenty of Kangaroos in that area BTW! Of course, they are only out at dusk/night/dawn, they stay out of the sun during the day.

I used to live near there and have hit 3 in big vans with bullbars (fitted for that reason). Had friends with cars get written off hitting them, including a R33 GTS-T, and I almost wrote off my RX3 hitting one once - saw it in time and avoided hitting it.
Wanneroo, near where they shot, and getting between there and where the track was (Barbagello raceway) is loaded with them.
No koalas though, they were in Western Australia (and Queensland earlier). Koalas are in the south eastern states.
Kind of annoyed I heard nothing before that they were coming.
Edit: Waited ages for the next Roadkill show (I only really like Roadkill as a youtube magazine show too), and they were up the road from where I live.
Late edit: Don't really need to quote the video.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 9, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

The guy in the oncoming Volvo F16 (or F12?) reacted pretty fast. Probably saved his life.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, the guy in the oncoming volvo definitely saved the video owners rear end. Hope that the oncoming volvo driver (and the other driver they hit), didn't end up badly themselves.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

I posted it in the Youtube thread as well, it's just completely awesome.

I'm not much for magazine-produced shows either, but Roadkill is absolutely one of the best car-related shows on Youtube, right along with Chris Harris On Cars and Mighty Car Mods. Freiburger and Finnegan have awesome chemistry and a complete lack of common sense that just makes you want to hang out and do stupid car poo poo with them.

Hot Rod and Hot Rod Deluxe are the only two magazines I still buy. Roadkill is awesome because they captured the feel of the magazine and put it to film.

I just wish 90's era Car Craft had a show that good, Car Craft was basically AI in print form back then. "Hey we found this car in a junkyard, let's throw nitrous at it until it explodes"

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

dissss posted:

I love how calm the Russian drivers are. I wish I knew what they are saying.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I love how calm the Russian drivers are. I wish I knew what they are saying.

In Soviet Russia, truck drives you!

Seriously though I would never drive in Russia after seeing the madness that I've seen on Youtube.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

dissss posted:

Is it me or does the clip that starts at 1:15 showcase some terrible driving and then some amazing driving at 1:29? Looks like another van/truck was going way too fast and just manages to avoid an accident with quite a bit of sliding...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

As amazing as this looks, the video it's from is at about half the speed of the gif. Didn't stop me watching 40 minutes of Russian dash cam footage :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

In Soviet Russia, truck drives you!

Seriously though I would never drive in Russia after seeing the madness that I've seen on Youtube.

I was joking with my friend that it's like driving in Grand Theft Auto in real life.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I watched a few of the videos that were related to that one. I think the best ones were the slow motion asian ones. You can see the accident coming, but nothing is done to stop it. That, and noone dies; some of those videos show Cherokee-sized vehicles getting t-boned and it's very clear that the occupants all died (you don't live through your vehicle being shredded like paper).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Hot Rod and Hot Rod Deluxe are the only two magazines I still buy. Roadkill is awesome because they captured the feel of the magazine and put it to film.
I picked up Hot Rod off a newsstand a few months ago solely because of Roadkill.

Amazed at how much technical detail there is in the magazine compared to the "import" magazines on the shelves. Long articles, too. Worth it!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I subscribe to Modified Magazine for tech articles and get a random other car magazine for ideas from the store. I like classic Hot Rod and truck magazines for looking at suspension ideas.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I picked up Hot Rod off a newsstand a few months ago solely because of Roadkill.

Amazed at how much technical detail there is in the magazine compared to the "import" magazines on the shelves. Long articles, too. Worth it!

Hot Rod Deluxe is where it's at. No really tech stuff, but tons of photo nostalgia and more gassers than you can shake a Moon tank at.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I buy Hot Rod and HR Deluxe when I've got spare money, there's not really a better car mag. Super Street :jerkbag: has an annual that focuses exclusively on classic Japanese sports cars that is actually really good, it doesn't have any of the regular mags stupidity (or at least, a whole lot less of it). I just wish they would make it a more regular thing, I'd probably get a subscription.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ultimateforce posted:

I subscribe to Modified Magazine for tech articles and get a random other car magazine for ideas from the store. I like classic Hot Rod and truck magazines for looking at suspension ideas.

I can never take modified mag seriously after this:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Modified+Magazine/5567654

just listen to the first one.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Wow that is amazing.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kastein posted:

Agreed, I usually let truckers go if it's not going to completely destroy the flow of traffic. I got road raged pretty hard last year when I let a trucker into my lane (3-2 merge/zipper in rush hour in a construction zone, he'd been stuck for a while because no one was letting him in) - the guy in the luxobarge behind me flipped out, started honking and flipping me off, etc. He passed me and brake-checked me the second we got out of the construction zone, fortunately I saw that coming so I had already downshifted and hit the brakes... then he threw his dunkies coffee out the window at me.

I was driving a beat up rusty truck with a cracked windshield and a quarter inch thick layer of mud, so I swerved, caught it on the hood, and waved. For some reason he didn't think that was quite as funny as I did.

i always let trucks in because I know driving a truck is difficult and a lot of people are assholes to truckers. It pisses off people behind me but I don't care.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

A friend linked me to this picture. I'm really hoping someone here knows something about it because I have no clue what this thing is.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

jonathan posted:

I did a similar thing in my first car. 100mph indicated in a 1974 Datsun 710. Olive green with tan plastic and vinyl interior.

I was on my way to a camping spot.

And mine was 120mph in a 63 Impala with a 283 on my second week driving ever. I can't wait to ge back to that car.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Visually handicapped spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Smug Mug posted:

A friend linked me to this picture. I'm really hoping someone here knows something about it because I have no clue what this thing is.

I've no idea what that is but holy poo poo futuristic and awesome. I also love that in your photo is another guy photographing it.