Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i guess the limit on keys/values is "don't have a hash(bucket, key) collision"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

I don't have any formal Computer Scientist education; are bitfields generally a bad idea these days? (There are some architect-types at my current place who are madly in love with them.)

in dynamic languages, it is often easier to pass strings around, rather than bitfields and bunch of boilerplate to decode them.

even java has an enum type. many people don't need to conserve memory, and the ones who do will need broader strategies than 'use a bitfield'.

the nice thing is that often you can use a more general purpose data structure, and then replace the access later with tuned code. that is, when you find out it is a bottleneck.

it's an optimisation. need to make a judgement call when it is worth using.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

in dynamic languages, it is often easier to pass strings around, rather than bitfields and bunch of boilerplate to decode them.

even java has an enum type. many people don't need to conserve memory, and the ones who do will need broader strategies than 'use a bitfield'.

the nice thing is that often you can use a more general purpose data structure, and then replace the access later with tuned code. that is, when you find out it is a bottleneck.

it's an optimisation. need to make a judgement call when it is worth using.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" -- is that old advice that's still worth adhering to? :D

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

java enum instances have an index which is used in enumsets and enummaps to implement them in terms of bitfields and arrays. there's overhead for the object wrappers but it's less than using a hashset with strings or the like

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" -- is that old advice that's still worth adhering to? :D

yup

for server-side, when your server bills become more untenable than staff bills

for client-side, when you notice it's slow your users will have probably already thought it slow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Throwing more servers at the problem only increases throughput, it doesn't decrease latency

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

i didn't say all advice? just that a lot of advice given is dated and made with the tradeoffs of the time, rather than the present.

with that in mind, drop the 'premature' :3:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Throwing more servers at the problem only increases throughput, it doesn't decrease latency

It can if the servers are taking a long time to services requests because their are too many backed up. So for a while it can help reduce latency as well as increase throughput.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i learned a word today

farpotshket

it means something that is broken because someone tried to fix it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

tef posted:

i learned a word today

farpotshket

it means something that is broken because someone tried to fix it

cool, is it a noun or an adjective?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i believe it is an adj.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DID SOMEONE MENTION OPTIMIZATION?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
savage optimization

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
This kills the optimization

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

software productivity (and reuse) is mostly a social issue, not a technical one.

definitely, social issues make up the majority of what MM-M is about, but the technical issues get all the press. I know I'm guilty of that as well

I just realized my copy of mythical man-month is the 20th anniversary edition and there's only 2 more years to go until its 40th anniversary :eyepop:

tef posted:

the next big leap will not be finding new ways of programming, but new ways to avoid programming.

or to put that in less technical terms, finding ways to solve simple problems in place of complex problems

tef posted:

this is a pretty modern idea of programming. programming for years was more about performing a calculation, repeating a set of instructions over and over again.

back then eliminating redundant code was a necessity borne out of limited memory and storage space

then it turned out to be a good idea anyway

maybe a bit of duplication isn't so bad and it's time for things to swing the other way for the first time? see DLL hell and the current recommendation of including a version number in DLL names and keeping your DLLs in the same folder with the program binary for some hints of this

I think you might have posted a video lecture touching on this as well

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

tef posted:

javascript was more the result of being hired to write a scheme variant and then being told to 'make it look like java'
wasn't it also written in like a week

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

does weed come in an injectable form? can someone mail it to me?

getting fat from all this beer

oh yes programming uhh tef that compiler thread is gonna get archived sooner or later i guess you can just make a new one idk

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Reading through Skienna's Algorithm Design manual. Currently one of the nicest algorithm books I managed to go through (only 1/6 of the way through) without feeling like dying of boredom.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

maybe a bit of duplication isn't so bad

duplication is ok in moderation, mostly because sharing things is hard.

the idea you every piece of code you write is unique is a bit of a chore.

quote:

and it's time for things to swing the other way for the first time? see DLL hell and the current recommendation of including a version number in DLL names and keeping your DLLs in the same folder with the program binary for some hints of this

I think you might have posted a video lecture touching on this as well

the plan9 people were quite grumpy about dynamic linking iirc. but yeah, I tend to copy and paste instead of moving code into a library the moment I reuse it. i push things in the library when I know what i'm going to share. it's a lot nicer to read, and it saves me from the rathole of a 'util' file where I dump every function that is useful elsewhere.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

this is stupid, you are stupid.

here is a text file.

code:
3 3

here is a text file that is output

code:
3 3
repeatedly entering this poo poo in is a total waste of time

cool now I have to waste time testing and writing s file parser

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
*throws your post away after 45 minutes*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I think we have enough languages, what we need now is a program to write other programs for us because we're super bad at it.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

I think we have enough languages, what we need now is a program to write other programs for us because we're super bad at it.

but which programming language would that program use?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
https://gist.github.com/4242213
pots, kettles, black

python user is mad because ruby libraries depend on other libraries

ruby users mad because python libraries are self-contained shitholes

smug clojure user quotes rich hickey: "gem install hairball"

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

rotor posted:

how would we tell it what we want?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

https://gist.github.com/4242213
pots, kettles, black

python user is mad because ruby libraries depend on other libraries

ruby users mad because python libraries are self-contained shitholes

smug clojure user quotes rich hickey: "gem install hairball"

oh no, anything but a dependency!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

1337JiveTurkey posted:

how would we tell it what we want?

"computer, do what I want. you know, make one of those thingies. with the stuff on it."

STILL GAY AND DUMB
Oct 25, 2010

by Fistgrrl

rotor posted:

"computer, do what I want."

WIN loving WIN YOSPOS lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

STILL GAY AND DUMB posted:

WIN loving WIN YOSPOS lol

im sorry but this is a thread for grownups

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

rotor posted:

"computer, do what I want. you know, make one of those thingies. with the stuff on it."

clearly the solution is computers which constantly observe us and create programs to make our lives easier and more efficient automatically

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah, but you know, baby steps.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Jonnty posted:

clearly the solution is computers which constantly observe us and create programs to make our lives easier and more efficient automatically

STILL GAY AND DUMB
Oct 25, 2010

by Fistgrrl

rotor posted:

im sorry but this is a thread for grownups

grownups in bodey, perhaps, but children (manbabies...?) in emotional development......???I eagerly await my 5s and you don't need to report back from GBS

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

rotor posted:

yeah, but you know, baby steps.

it always seems like the solution to a lot of problems in computer science and particularly HCI is to just skip past them

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

STILL GAY AND DUMB posted:

grownups in bodey, perhaps, but children (manbabies...?) in emotional development......???I eagerly await my 5s and you don't need to report back from GBS

typical php user spotted

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jonnty posted:

it always seems like the solution to a lot of problems in computer science and particularly HCI is to just skip past them

by this do you mean 'dump them on the user'?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i've literally never used automator, what can it do

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

gucci void main posted:

i've literally never used automator, what can it do

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2488?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

automator is the true future of programming. the application as api metaphor will save us all. need to calculate something? send it to the wolfram cloud. put the output in this application. e-mail it to my secretary's eye-glasses. the componentization of things a user actually gives a poo poo about wanting to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

tef posted:

by this do you mean 'dump them on the user'?

no, i mean realising the problem you're getting bogged down in is irrelevant if you actually think about what you're ultimately trying to achieve