Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I want to see this movie based on the poster. But also that poo poo makes no sense.

I suspect they were trying to emulate the style of some of Zdzislaw Beksinski's work. This kind of thing.

I've seen this sort of thing in other sci-fi (Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun) and as ridiculous as it may sound it always makes for really awesome imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
kiimo, how much power do you have over these posters you make?

That hand drawn poster for "Only the young" made me think of movie posters featuring Louis Wain's cat pictures from his schizophrenia phase. Could you maybe make that happen?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dillbag posted:

I prefer the minimalist exoskeleton look.

Oh god, the crazies were right, chemtrails really are gonna kill us!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

TheJoker138 posted:

Does anyone have a list of every poster since Social Network that has done this? I'm writing a thing. I can think of Thor, and Evil Dead off the top of my head, but I know there's more.

Melancholia did, but only for the Russian poster. I know there are several more out there, but I can't remember them.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Isn't the social network poster based on someone's else's art style who has been around for decades?

Michael Clayton had it beat anyway.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Both those Tom Cruise projects have me intrigued - his name and sci-fi means awesome. What an amazing actor!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vintersorg posted:

his name and sci-fi means awesome.

I don't think many people have as optimistic a view of Scientology as you do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I choose to ignore his religious poo poo and focus on his movies, all of which are great. Or is that your joke?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Mister Chief posted:

Isn't the social network poster based on someone's else's art style who has been around for decades?

Jenny Holzer or Barbara Kruger, take your pick

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MrBling posted:

kiimo, how much power do you have over these posters you make?

That hand drawn poster for "Only the young" made me think of movie posters featuring Louis Wain's cat pictures from his schizophrenia phase. Could you maybe make that happen?

If I had to put a percentage on my level of power in actual decision-making in regards to what goes on a poster I'd say somewhere around 7% tops.

But hey if you want to post a link I'll pass it around. Because all I know of Louis Wain's schizophrenia cat phase is that it was somebody's (Ellis D?) avatar.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Jenny Holzer or Barbara Kruger, take your pick

It's nitpicky, but it's Barbara Kruger. Jenny Holzer does more installation work where she projects phrases and silkscreening declassified documents on torture and the Iraq War.

Kruger is the one woman that examines the relationship between imagery and text. I've posted her work in relation to the poster trend so many times now that it probably needs to be in the OP, along with the "blue and orange" color scheme.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

kiimo posted:

If I had to put a percentage on my level of power in actual decision-making in regards to what goes on a poster I'd say somewhere around 7% tops.

But hey if you want to post a link I'll pass it around. Because all I know of Louis Wain's schizophrenia cat phase is that it was somebody's (Ellis D?) avatar.

That's probably the easiest way. Various doctors are saying that his mental illness is directly visible in his changing art. Considering the massive changes they may have a point.

There's a bunch here:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/louis-wain

MrBling fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 8, 2012

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

WebDog posted:

That looks like it's made from old desk lamps and bits of stedicam rigs.

What's wrong with using Steadicam rigs?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Slasherfan posted:

So it probably took someone 10 minutes to put this mess together.

Man, who needs Photoshop installed, when you MS Paint comes pre-installed on every Windows computer? :getin:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Here's the international poster for Les Miserables:

It's a boring heads in the clouds poster. You've got your blockbuster megastars and a love story. I don't think they're convinced the Les Miserables name will sell the film internationally.

The one with young Cosette is my favourite:

The tagline isn't doing it for me though. Could apply to about a million other epics.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 8, 2012

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Fight. Dream. Hope. Love. Make. Work. Do it. Makes us. Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Our work is never over.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
You could literally make the tag line "I dreamed a dream..." with that Cossette image, and you'd be set. Everyone knows that title, everyone knows that song (thanks, Susan Boyle!), and I imagine a lot of people know that image (the original version, at least). Spend some money on television advertising for your plot points, and you've at least got the U.S. market sewn up.

Edit: Technologic

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Modern Leper posted:

You could literally make the tag line "I dreamed a dream..." with that Cossette image, and you'd be set. Everyone knows that title, everyone knows that song (thanks, Susan Boyle!), and I imagine a lot of people know that image (the original version, at least). Spend some money on television advertising for your plot points, and you've at least got the U.S. market sewn up.

They kind of do this with one of the character posters I saw in a theater a week or two ago - everyone has a different tagline:

They're all here

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Am I a huge baby for tearing up whenever I heard that drat song? It's like the notes and words just hit some internal button to make me go, "Oh poo poo...".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenophon posted:

They kind of do this with one of the character posters I saw in a theater a week or two ago - everyone has a different tagline:

They're all here

I thought this was Anne Hatheway in a Twilight movie at first glance :stonk:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vegetable posted:

The first time I saw this was on a billboard. I immediately got choked up. I love this so much, it is perfect.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

MrBling posted:

That's probably the easiest way. Various doctors are saying that his mental illness is directly visible in his changing art. Considering the massive changes they may have a point.

There's a bunch here:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/louis-wain
Fun fact! It's unknown if that series of cat paintings is arranged in correct chronological order, so it might not actually be representative of his mental decline. ...Actually, that's kind of an un-fun fat, because I really liked the idea that they showed his schizophrenia taking over. :(

"Series of [Wain's] paintings are commonly used as examples in psychology textbooks to putatively show the change in his style as his psychological condition deteriorated. However, it is not known if these works were created in the order usually presented, as Wain did not date them." (source)

Tangentially related topic-of-interest: How about this LSD experiment on an artist? Only kinda-related, but I always like linking to it.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
In those one trailers for Les Mis, the tagline is "The Dream Lives." I mean, you think that everyone has heard that song. And then I was like, well, okay, so not the people who wrote that tagline.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

In those one trailers for Les Mis, the tagline is "The Dream Lives." I mean, you think that everyone has heard that song. And then I was like, well, okay, so not the people who wrote that tagline.

This is funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

They might have not have used 'I dreamed a dream' for the Cosette image simply because that one in particular is aimed at people who know the musical and using Fantine's song and Cosette's image would bug the crap out of them.

That's probably more thought than put into it, though.

Are those character posters linked before all of them? I'm surprised there's no Eponine 'On My Own', that song and 'Do You Hear The People Sing?' are the other really commonly known ones.

That and they really could have had better lyrics-based taglines for Javert and Valjean.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 9, 2012

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

The Modern Leper posted:

You could literally make the tag line "I dreamed a dream..." with that Cossette image, and you'd be set. Everyone knows that title, everyone knows that song (thanks, Susan Boyle!),

I keep think you guys are going on about this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9U3h2UmcA

I have never seen Les Mis nor heard any songs from it. I love musicals, but my experience has been that Les Mis fans are like the Trekkies of the musical world; kinda scary and cultish.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Vegetable posted:

The tagline isn't doing it for me though. Could apply to about a million other epics.
This poster came up on my Kindle Fire HD (who says ads on the lock screen are a bad thing?) and made me immediately check out the trailer, which got me incredibly excited for the movie. And I know nothing about Les Miz and I generally dislike musicals. They did a hell of a job marketing this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

This poster came up on my Kindle Fire HD (who says ads on the lock screen are a bad thing?) and made me immediately check out the trailer, which got me incredibly excited for the movie. And I know nothing about Les Miz and I generally dislike musicals. They did a hell of a job marketing this.

Well, that imagery used in that poster has had the benefit of having proven over time; it's a real-life arrangement of the one image out of all the illustrations in the 1886 print that's filtered down over the years as the most evocative and become emblematic of the story, so it's kind of benefiting of survival of the fittest in terms of how striking it is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm amazed that Hollywood didn't find a way to insert dubstep into the trailer, somehow.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A trailer for the poster of the movie Oblivion.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This looks awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sheldrake posted:

I keep think you guys are going on about this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9U3h2UmcA

I have never seen Les Mis nor heard any songs from it. I love musicals, but my experience has been that Les Mis fans are like the Trekkies of the musical world; kinda scary and cultish.

Haha, I'm a fan of very few musicals, but Les Mis is one of them. The songs are top-notch and the story is great. I suppose most of its fans are hardcore musical geeks, but they don't seem to be as bad as Wicked fans from what I've gathered. The praise is rightfully due. It's a great production.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Morgan Freeman in his future clothes will probably make a striking poster!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not really movie posters but I just got these two Mondo posters:

Tweety - the original angry bird.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Seeing this. Predicting many slo-mo Cruise running shots.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can we confirm that the actors here have their own heads and bodies?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That is a rather unfortunate highlight on The Rock's forehead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Well the Rock does, definitely.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

The Rock's arms are bigger than honeyglazed Christmas hams, so yes, that's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Man this movie is going to own.