Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Some Other Guy posted:

Hey if you can just take a dialysis pill, why not?

I'm pretty sure that was a "repair (regrow?) your kidney" pill since the doctors were saying her kidney functions were restored.

Also since I'm already debunking poo poo, the windows aren't forcefields. (they're transparent aluminum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

sean10mm posted:

Kind of like how taking off from the ground probably isn't a big deal when you can warp space-time to move at multiples of the speed of light.

Except ships never inherit any of that, warp drive works by moving a 'bubble' of normal space (thus 'warp field') in which the ship is sitting/floating stationary the entire time.

:spergin:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I think it's far more likely a suit will look at the most successful shows on TV and ask for a version of one to be set in space. Hence, I'm sure "game of thrones in space" is coming sooner or later.

I dunno, shows in space tend to be more expensive. Any good exec would ask why the show had to be set in space.

That said, I'd dearly love a well-executed live-action Legend of Galactic Heroes series. Hell, for the "GoT in SPACE" angle, it's got plenty of court intrigue and grisly fight scenes.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

mind the walrus posted:

I can literally tune my nerd ears to the sperg frequency and hear some poor lord whining "COULD STILL BE KHAN COULD STILL BE KHAN"

This is why nerds shouldn't be given what they want ever. Kahn isn't a particularily interesting villain once you take him away from the themes of Wrath, and the current crew is WAY too young to attempt anything like that right now.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

WarLocke posted:

Except ships never inherit any of that, warp drive works by moving a 'bubble' of normal space (thus 'warp field') in which the ship is sitting/floating stationary the entire time.

:spergin:
Except you are forgetting that if space is moving at the speed of light then there are rocks, pebbles, and pieces of dust which can ram right through your ship.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BulletRiddled posted:

This is why nerds shouldn't be given what they want ever. Kahn isn't a particularily interesting villain once you take him away from the themes of Wrath, and the current crew is WAY too young to attempt anything like that right now.

That's why Gary Mitchell would be the best possible compromise, in a marketing sense. It gives everything that's decent about Space Seed plus the angle of "one of their own" turning.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MadScientistWorking posted:

Except you are forgetting that if space is moving at the speed of light then there are rocks, pebbles, and pieces of dust which can ram right through your ship.

Everything inside the warp bubble is at rest in relation to the ship at the center. Basically the ship isn't moving at all, the bubble of space that it's in is what is moving and the outside universe can't effect it (short of destabilizing the bubble outright which is a Bad Thing).

At least that's what I remember from the last time I googled a spergy explanation of how the whole thing works.

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Replicators aren't direct energy-matter conversion, it's transporter trickery assembling molecules and poo poo from tanks full of matter and nobody knows how much energy a transporter takes.

Goddamn Star Trek canon, always a step ahead :argh:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

That's why Gary Mitchell would be the best possible compromise, in a marketing sense. It gives everything that's decent about Space Seed plus the angle of "one of their own" turning.

I wonder if Kirk will just end up defeating Gary Mitchell with a pipe that's laying around in engineering like how he beat Kahn in Space Seed?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I got annoyed when the Enterprise-E reversed propulsion and pulled itself out of the Scimitar. In space, nothing would "hold" the Scimitar in place; the E-E would pull both ships in that direction.

Scuba-diving Enterprise doesn't bother me for some reason, though.

TrekMovie says they have a name for the villian. Click the link to find out: http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/10/new-image-from-star-trek-into-darkness-features-cumberbatch-villain-w-kirk-spock/

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Siroc posted:

I got annoyed when the Enterprise-E reversed propulsion and pulled itself out of the Scimitar. In space, nothing would "hold" the Scimitar in place; the E-E would pull both ships in that direction.

Except for inertia. If the reverse thrust generated by the Enterprise-E could overwhelm the friction force holding the two ships together, they would separate. The Enterprise-E's engines still need to accelerate both its mass and that of the Scimitar.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Siroc posted:

Scuba-diving Enterprise doesn't bother me for some reason, though.

TrekMovie says they have a name for the villian. Click the link to find out: http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/10/new-image-from-star-trek-into-darkness-features-cumberbatch-villain-w-kirk-spock/

...what? John Harrison? That sounds a lot like "Gary Mitchell" except it's not Gary Mitchell. Unless someone else knows who this is my guess is they just changed the name since he was a minor character anyway.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I thought it was the name of the Enterprise-B Captain for a second, but that was John Harriman.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

At that speed ram right through would be lucky. The kinetic energy would likely just turn the ship into a ball of plasma.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Supercar Gautier posted:

House MD in space. It's essentially the same thing, but all the diseases are bizarre made-up alien nonsense.

Something like this, sort of kind of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector_General

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

That's what the deflector field is for

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Some Other Guy posted:

...what? John Harrison? That sounds a lot like "Gary Mitchell" except it's not Gary Mitchell. Unless someone else knows who this is my guess is they just changed the name since he was a minor character anyway.

I'm betting it's a marketing pseudonym. Don't want to spoil the plot this early.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Can we get a ":smug: Non-Trekkie :smug:" spreadsheet/FAQ to post on every page so this kind-of Old-Trek knowledge is easily answered? I swear this exact same conversation happened last page.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Yonic Symbolism posted:

That is what I said last page. :psyduck:

Also, the whole point of a deflector shield is to prevent the ship from imploding in on itself.
EDIT:
No seriously the whole point of deflector shields is to handwave the fact that even traveling in space a tiny particle traveling really fast is enough to blow the ship into pieces.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You can also reroute power through the plasma conduits into the deflector dish and make a mean cheese omelet.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Unless you're Riker. He can't cook eggs for poo poo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Riker just seems like a raman noodles kind of guy

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Riker is a busy man, okay? He has to keep his beard nautical and decorative, he has daily trombone practice as well as regular ambo-jutsu sessions, there's poker games to arrange, women to flirt with, he has important meetings with staff leaders in which he belittles their work for an episode's B/C-plot, and he's the Enterprise XO. The man simply does not have the time to learn how to make good scrambled eggs.

(The secret is fat, so use at least 2% milk. gently caress skim.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They don't enslave animals for food (says Riker, before he later devours live worms), so they're not even real eggs. Already starting off on the wrong foot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The big issue isn't that they'd be incapable of making a starship that can fly in an atmophere and go underwater, it's that they didn't. They very clearly made one that's meant to stay in space, which is obvious just looking at it, and no matter what century, when you do ridiculously stressful things with something that you're not meant to do, they tend to fall apart.

Siroc posted:

No, this one works. Inertia partially holds the Scimitar in place. They're not bound together tightly enough to overcome that entirely.

Also the navigational deflector and the deflector shields are two different things entirely. :spergin:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 11, 2012

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Riker is a busy man, okay? He has to keep his beard nautical and decorative, he has daily trombone practice as well as regular ambo-jutsu sessions, there's poker games to arrange, women to flirt with, he has important meetings with staff leaders in which he belittles their work for an episode's B/C-plot, and he's the Enterprise XO. The man simply does not have the time to learn how to make good scrambled eggs.

(The secret is fat, so use at least 2% milk. gently caress skim.)

He's also the Chef on the NX-01. In the Holodeck. Everyday. Pulls a duty shift in real time there daily.

Some Other Guy posted:

Haha, what the poo poo?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison

People are saying it's this guy, a red blue gold shirt bit player who was in just under the amount of episodes Lt Leslie was in as background scenery.

I was just finally coming around to liking it being Gary Mitchell instead of my previous hope, Khan. If this is true it'll be really lame. :(

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've rolled my eyes a couple of times at this whole mystery villain thing. It is the type of thing that I'd expect the hacks behind "Lost" to come up with. What's next, a teaser clip where there's a polar bear on the bridge?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh, come on dude. You seriously have a problem with producers of a film wanting to keep details quiet until it's released?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MariusLecter posted:

You can also reroute power through the plasma conduits into the deflector dish and make a mean cheese omelet.

No, that's from another classic science fiction story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MikeJF posted:

The big issue isn't that they'd be incapable of making a starship that can fly in an atmophere and go underwater, it's that they didn't. They very clearly made one that's meant to stay in space, which is obvious just looking at it, and no matter what century, when you do ridiculously stressful things with something that you're not meant to do, they tend to fall apart.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heavy pressure along the ship's designed lines of acceleration, sounds fine to me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

It's kind of funny that you use this image because I don't give a poo poo what magic technobabble you spout off, anything this close to an actual black hole would be compressed to the size of a pinhead in about a tenth of a second.

:science:

e: Plus they eject the warp core and somehow manage to not get sucked in when the ship suddenly loses power, you know, what with losing its power generation capability - although there's probably some :techno: explanation for that too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, also, let's be honest, it's impossible to compare that to what should really happen because Black Holes Do Not Work Like That At All.

That was less of a real black hole and more of a magical trek space distortion with high gravity.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Well, also, let's be honest, it's impossible to compare that to what should really happen because Black Holes Do Not Work Like That At All.

Fair enough, but however they work I think it's safe to say anything getting that close to the event horizon isn't getting away, rerouting the plasma manifold or not.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
My guess is, John Harrison is a name the Benedict Cumberbatch's character is using but it's not his true identity, which won't be revealed until towards the end.

Kind of like with The Dark Knight Rises, how everyone guessed Marion Cottillard's character was Talia Al Ghul and the studio went "nuh uh, it's Miranda Tate". Well...

As long as they don't try and do something clever and twist-y with the reveal, I think things ought to be okay.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Fair enough, but however they work I think it's safe to say anything getting that close to the event horizon isn't getting away, rerouting the plasma manifold or not.

That's what I mean, I don't think it even had a drat event horizon. It was just a two-dimensional black disc in space surrounded by lightning swirlies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 11, 2012

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
So it turns out that Alive Eve is apparently playing Carol Marcus...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97940

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Starscream posted:

I believe this is called "Dune" in most civilized parts of the world.

To be honest, I thought of "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" myself, but "Dune" fits that description to a tee as well.

e:fb to the LoGH reference.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sean10mm posted:

In TOS the Enterprise survived nuclear explosions. So I don't think water pressure would be an insurmountable obstacle for their engineering skills.

Kind of like how taking off from the ground probably isn't a big deal when you can warp space-time to move at multiples of the speed of light.

What's a nuclear explosion in space? There's not enough gas for a blast wave, so you basically just end up with a giant burst of radiation.

sean10mm posted:

The deflectors survive weapon hits measured in megatons. Meanwhile we've been building subs with our lovely technology for over a century.

This argument isn't even "good" sperging.

Dispersing energy is not the same as withstanding thousands of pounds per square inch of sustained pressure.

LitigiousChimp posted:

It's a ship that can handle the stress of accelerating to FTL speeds without falling apart, why do you think a little water pressure would be too much for it?

The ship never actually experiences the acceleration and deceleration effects directly.

mind the walrus posted:

Sperg Answer: The Deflector Array basically makes the Enterprise shielded in a bubble, so the answer to your question is "water pressure shouldn't be an issue at all, provided the Deflector Array is still working."

The deflector array is only really effective against small points of incursion, some dumbass episodes excepted.

Some Other Guy posted:

I've rolled my eyes a couple of times at this whole mystery villain thing. It is the type of thing that I'd expect the hacks behind "Lost" to come up with. What's next, a teaser clip where there's a polar bear on the bridge?

hacks behind "Lost" Yes, and at their hacky hackiest, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Just because (if) she's Carol Marcus, it still doesn't make Cumberbatch Khan. David was already like 25 when Star Trek II rolled around.

• Locked thread