Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't know if you were touched in a no-no place by GV at some point but I know dozens of people who've been using it exclusively for years for their voicemail and it works perfectly. You probably didn't set it up right, it requires doing things a little differently on Verizon.

Doubtful. It could be that it flat out just stops giving me my notifications just like facebook always does. SOmething about my google accounts (any of them, tried all 3) makes them blow the gently caress up and stop working.

Its not a big deal. I prefer carrier voicemail, and would recommend it for 90% of the people I've sold phones too. In fact, I said I like the idea of GV, but no MMS, Flakey Voicemail, is enough for me to NOT use the poo poo. Dunno why thats such a hard concept.

Google voice, I use for my throw away numbers now. Meet some crazy bitch at a bar? GV #. Drug dealers? GV#. Craiglist sales? GV#. It has its uses, and being my "main phone" isnt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Quick question for you guys - I have a plan which I bought in December last year. Now, I had to leave the country and need to either cancel the plan, or find someone to transfer the responsibility to since they could only suspend it for a limited time.

Its the $39.99 450 minute talk + 2GB (4GB under the double-data promo) $30 data. No texting since I used Google voice.

Is the plan worth anything? I've been out of the country since April so I gather that Verizon went to Share everything plans? Are those a better or worse deal than what I have, ie can I find someone to buy my plan? I also have an HTC Thunderbolt (lol old phone) attached to the plan.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Regarding Google Voice:

I used it for a couple years. It was fantastic until it quit working. Now I'm back on regular voice mail. It's been awhile so I don't recall the specifics, but people were unable to leave me messages. I forget if it said I was unavailable, or what. I kind of recall that maybe it asked the person to input the phone number for the phone they were trying to reach or something. A couple times people would do it and leave a message but overall I think it threw people for a loop and they just hung up. Not good if it is somebody other than a friend just wanting to say whats up.

I posted on these forums and nobody was able to come up with a solution. I probably could have dug deeper into Google, or maybe called them, but I just said screw it.

I wouldn't say I set it up wrong as it worked fine for a year-plus. Maybe something changed, but I couldn't figure it out.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

Quick question for you guys - I have a plan which I bought in December last year. Now, I had to leave the country and need to either cancel the plan, or find someone to transfer the responsibility to since they could only suspend it for a limited time.

Its the $39.99 450 minute talk + 2GB (4GB under the double-data promo) $30 data. No texting since I used Google voice.

Is the plan worth anything? I've been out of the country since April so I gather that Verizon went to Share everything plans? Are those a better or worse deal than what I have, ie can I find someone to buy my plan? I also have an HTC Thunderbolt (lol old phone) attached to the plan.

Allegedly (I received this info from a VZW Corporate store and a 3rd party Verizon retailer in the same day) the 4GB Double-Your-Data plan is something the company wants to have killed off along with unlimited data.

People who have DYD and renew their contract in the future will in all likelihood end up losing that data plan. They'll then have to pay $30/mo for 2GB or find a way to get into a Share Everything plan.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
If I buy a phone off Craigslist will I be able to still retain unlimited data? Does it matter if the seller bought the phone subsidized or not?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Gadfly posted:

If I buy a phone off Craigslist will I be able to still retain unlimited data? Does it matter if the seller bought the phone subsidized or not?
Yeah. And no, it doesn't matter if they bought it subsidized.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Awesome, thanks! I'll have a Galaxy Note II in a couple hours then!

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I have two lines, one is unlimited and the other 2GB. I have upgrade dates in June and August. If I do all my upgrades on the the second line can I keep my unlimited?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

waffle iron posted:

I have two lines, one is unlimited and the other 2GB. I have upgrade dates in June and August. If I do all my upgrades on the the second line can I keep my unlimited?

Each of those upgrades is going to be tied to a specific line. So you can upgrade once without losing it. When you burn the subsidy on your unlimited line; the unlimited goes with it.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the subject of upgrades, does Verizon usually have any good sales closer to Christmas? I've got an upgrade I can use but I want to know if it makes sense to wait for a week or two in case something great pops up on the Verizon website

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I got my new phone! I played around with the phone a bit and it's so smooth. I still haven't activated it on the Verizon network though - I noticed that the guy who sold me the phone has a SIM card in there but he never activated it. Does anyone know if this means that I can activate it myself without going to Verizon and without losing unlimited data? Or do I have to go get a new SIM card from Verizon?

Edit: Nevermind, I've never had a SIM card before (my old phone doesn't have one) so I had no idea how they worked. But reading into it more, looks like it would just result in an error since his SIM card doesn't have my account info on it. Well I guess I'll be going to a Verizon store tomorrow.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 10, 2012

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

The Gadfly posted:

I got my new phone! I played around with the phone a bit and it's so smooth. I still haven't activated it on the Verizon network though - I noticed that the guy who sold me the phone has a SIM card in there but he never activated it. Does anyone know if this means that I can activate it myself without going to Verizon and without losing unlimited data? Or do I have to go get a new SIM card from Verizon?

Edit: Nevermind, I've never had a SIM card before (my old phone doesn't have one) so I had no idea how they worked. But reading into it more, looks like it would just result in an error since his SIM card doesn't have my account info on it. Well I guess I'll be going to a Verizon store tomorrow.

I would try to activate it. If he really never used it on his line then the SIM card should be clear to use.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
If you bought the phone off contract from someone else and that phone is not active on their under, you should be able to activate it on your number without killing your data plan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Athenry posted:

Each of those upgrades is going to be tied to a specific line. So you can upgrade once without losing it. When you burn the subsidy on your unlimited line; the unlimited goes with it.
Right, but if he only upgrades on the 2 GB line, he can keep unlimited.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks comper and laptopgun! You guys saved me from having to deal with verizon store reps. Gently caress those people. Anyway, it turned out to be extremely easy. I activated the phone online with the seller's unactivated SIM card and it gave me an option to keep unlimited data.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

The Gadfly posted:

Thanks comper and laptopgun! You guys saved me from having to deal with verizon store reps. Gently caress those people. Anyway, it turned out to be extremely easy. I activated the phone online with the seller's unactivated SIM card and it gave me an option to keep unlimited data.

You can say gently caress. :allears:

Also while I'm posting, I might as well say the wait for this goddamned Razr M is interminable. One more day!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How is it advantageous for Verizon not to update the SGS3 on their network to the latest firmware?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

me your dad posted:

How is it advantageous for Verizon not to update the SGS3 on their network to the latest firmware?

It hasn't passed carrier testing yet. There was a brandy new leaked build at the end of last week.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It hasn't passed carrier testing yet. There was a brandy new leaked build at the end of last week.

If you update to the build through a leak, does it affect anything when Verizon finally decides to throw their users a bone?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone hear anything about JB getting to the OG Droid Razr? I remember signing up for the "we give you JB or you get rebate" but I haven't heard anything since the newer razrs getting soak tests.

I'm kinda interested in that rebate now because my sim card/sim card slot is being an rear end in a top hat and I'm losing connectivity.

Plus the battery kind of sucks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can Best Buy handle corporate discounts? They have the iPhone for $50 off so if I can sign up there and still get no activation fee then I'll do that.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

FCKGW posted:

Can Best Buy handle corporate discounts? They have the iPhone for $50 off so if I can sign up there and still get no activation fee then I'll do that.

I just used a corporate discount on my phone, and all of my research indicated that you had to go to a corporate Verizon store to take advantage of it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Porkchop Express posted:

I just used a corporate discount on my phone, and all of my research indicated that you had to go to a corporate Verizon store to take advantage of it.

When I bought my first Verizon phone in 2009 I was a student in between an internship and getting hired full time so I just applied my corporate discount a couple months later when I started working again. In my case I could do everything online.

edit: this is for the monthly billing, not the price of the phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

me your dad posted:

If you update to the build through a leak, does it affect anything when Verizon finally decides to throw their users a bone?

Depends on if you can update from that update to the final update. Worse case though you return to stock and have to wipe the phone to do so.

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyone hear anything about JB getting to the OG Droid Razr? I remember signing up for the "we give you JB or you get rebate" but I haven't heard anything since the newer razrs getting soak tests.

I'm kinda interested in that rebate now because my sim card/sim card slot is being an rear end in a top hat and I'm losing connectivity.

Target is Q1. The Razr won't be qualifying for the rebate because that was only for phones that were released in 2011 and didn't get ICS/JB. The Razr is getting it, there just isn't an exact date yet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

me your dad posted:

Generally the real official OTA update will only apply on top of whatever build was officially released before.

If you install a leak and it turns out not to be the build that is blessed by Verizon, you most likely will need to back out to the previous stock version and then take the OTA.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I'm really eager to have Jelly Bean on my phone but I'm hesitant to plunge into it ahead of the official release. I was looking at the guide here and it seems easy enough but I don't want to mess anything up when the release finally comes out.

I think I'll hold off a few more days to see if this rumored 12/14 update is true.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Doctor Butts posted:

Its a bit pricey, but you can get the Maxx conversion kit on ebay for $130. Turns a so-so phone a great one.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008

me your dad posted:

I think I'll hold off a few more days to see if this rumored 12/14 update is true.

This is the first I've heard of this, but that would be awesome

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

So who do I trust here, my iPhone that says I have used 380mb of data or Verizon, who says I have used about 70mb?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Verizon since they're the ones that write the bill. It might be delayed though so check again in a day or so.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can anyone comment on 4g coverage/speeds in Charlotte, NC?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 11, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Porkchop Express posted:

So who do I trust here, my iPhone that says I have used 380mb of data or Verizon, who says I have used about 70mb?

iPhone 4/4S, or 5? If it's the 4/4S, it might be that your data usage with VZW hasn't fully updated yet.

3G data usage information can take up to 48 hours to reflect properly on your account (sometimes longer if roaming). 4G data usage information generally takes only 15 minutes to be properly reflected.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

SpacedOut posted:

iPhone 4/4S, or 5? If it's the 4/4S, it might be that your data usage with VZW hasn't fully updated yet.

3G data usage information can take up to 48 hours to reflect properly on your account (sometimes longer if roaming). 4G data usage information generally takes only 15 minutes to be properly reflected.

No I have the 5, and it seems to have been tallying more on the phone since I got it on Friday. Verizon still says I have only used 70 something mb of data, it's been the same for about 6 hours according to them.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So where the hell is the serial number on the VZW Note 2? Because Samsung will not take the IMEI number to register it. It just complains about using the number on the phone, not the box. Even though they're the exact same loving number.

I want my accessory coupon code dammit.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

PirateDentist posted:

So where the hell is the serial number on the VZW Note 2? Because Samsung will not take the IMEI number to register it. It just complains about using the number on the phone, not the box. Even though they're the exact same loving number.

I want my accessory coupon code dammit.

They didn't tell you where? It should be on the box or under the battery in your phone.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Ryvannis posted:

They didn't tell you where? It should be on the box or under the battery in your phone.

I just found it. (how to register that is) The generic registration on their main page didn't work at all for me. You have to go through a different link buried deeper. If you go through all these dropdowns to select the specific one you bought it asks for the ESN/IMEI instead of S/N and accepts it.

They really should say if there's a different process for certain products. I have no idea how I kept ending up on that one if it wouldn't work. :\

E: And I got my 50% off code! Yay! $25 spare battery and charger!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Porkchop Express posted:

No I have the 5, and it seems to have been tallying more on the phone since I got it on Friday. Verizon still says I have only used 70 something mb of data, it's been the same for about 6 hours according to them.

I had the same thing with my iPhone 5. By the time the end of the bill cycle rolled around, the data counter on the phone was about 500 MB more than what Verizon said I actually used. And yes, I did reset it at the beginning of the month.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

me your dad posted:

So long as the current firmware isn't creating a detrimental effect on the network, all an OTA does for Verizon is take up network bandwidth (which they have to give away, because nobody in their right mind would charge their customers for an OTA).

The phone is sold, the customer is locked in for 2 years. Absolutely no incentive to update whatsoever.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

I had the same thing with my iPhone 5. By the time the end of the bill cycle rolled around, the data counter on the phone was about 500 MB more than what Verizon said I actually used. And yes, I did reset it at the beginning of the month.

Weird, well I will just check usage on the Verizon account manager app instead of relying on the counter built in to the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Holy poo poo, since I upgraded to the iphone 5, I've used 9GB of data this month....

I really hope that I can keep unlimited data forever!

• Locked thread