Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Trax416 posted:

Thinking about picking up an ADATA SX900 256gb for $169. I have 24 hours before the sale ends.

Was wondering what you guys thought about that drive? I don't own an SSD and would finally like to grab one. The reviews seem great for it, but I am sure you guys will know more about reliability and what not at this point.

That's a Sandforce drive without RAISE enabled. Drives like that are specifically recommended against in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Trax416 posted:

Thinking about picking up an ADATA SX900 256gb for $169. I have 24 hours before the sale ends.

Was wondering what you guys thought about that drive? I don't own an SSD and would finally like to grab one. The reviews seem great for it, but I am sure you guys will know more about reliability and what not at this point.

Yeah, like it was pointed out - this falls under the "do NOT buy" category. Avoid SandForce drives with sizes like 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, etc. SandForce drives should have 60GB, 120GB, 240GB, 480GB, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is running a VM going to nuke my SSD? Virtualbox/XP to be specific.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Is running a VM going to nuke my SSD? Virtualbox/XP to be specific.

Nope, it will fly.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Nope, it will fly.

Might be a better question for the VM thread, but how much SSD IO performance do you lose by using Virtualization? Would passing through a complete SSD help?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Nope, it will fly.

Yeah I am running XP on virtualbox via RDP on a 1.8ghz atom processor, it's actually more responsive than the Unity GUI (go figure). My main concerns are that XP doesn't have any sort of SMART support and leaving the VM up will cause double the nominal read/write cycles to the drive due to effectively having two computers sharing one drive. Unless virtualbox handles most of that in memory. This is one of those el cheapo woot.com crucial SSDs from a couple months ago.

Grim Up North posted:

Might be a better question for the VM thread, but how much SSD IO performance do you lose by using Virtualization? Would passing through a complete SSD help?

XP is stupid snappy on an atom processor with an SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grim Up North posted:

Honestly I don't even notice. I have a XP VM that boots in like 5 seconds on my Core i3 with a SATA 2 SSD.

There some sort of caching anomaly going on but here are my CrystalDiskMark results in that VM were all along the lines of 630-650MB/s read and 315-350MB/s write.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Honestly I don't even notice. I have a XP VM that boots in like 5 seconds on my Core i3 with a SATA 2 SSD.

26 seconds on an atom processor, just now. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet, but it's nice to know I can fire up another windows instance if need be.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

I think Plextor's M5 should get a spot on the "drives to avoid" list.

That test by anandtech is totally unrealistic as for what the end user will observe. Look at the description:

quote:

When and how an SSD decides to run its defrag and cleanup routines directly impacts the user experience. Frequent (borderline aggressive) cleanup generally results in more stable performance, while delaying that can result in higher peak performance at the expense of much lower worst case performance. The graphs below tell us a lot about the architecture of these SSDs and how they handle internal defragmentation.

To generate the data below I took a freshly secure erased SSD and filled it with sequential data. This ensures that all user accessible LBAs have data associated with them. Next I kicked off a 4KB random write workload at a queue depth of 32 using incompressible data. I ran the test for just over half an hour...

They entirely fill the disk, then immediately start running a random write test. Who runs a SSD like that in their machine? All this does is test when/how drives do garbage collection and TRIM. If you have free space on a drive that is regularly trimmed, or any significant amount of idle time (say, browsing the web instead of writing linux ISOs to disk for 30 minutes, or going to lunch, or leaving your desktop on overnight) you will not observe this.

I have a 512GB Plextor M5 Pro. It's been lightning fast, lives up to all AS-SSD benchmarks, and has been quite excellent at large sustained writes (stuff like installing CentOS in a 40GB VM, installing Eve Online @ ~18GB, reading/writing *large* videos, etc). One unrealistic anand test does not invalidate real-world reliability and performance.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

pmchem posted:

They entirely fill the disk, then immediately start running a random write test.

Anyone who runs out of space and then has something swap? Most people don't spring for 512GB SSDs.

If they gently caress up something that 9 out of 10 manufacturers don't, it's still a good reason not to buy. Who knows what else is screwed up in the firmware that's more important.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

My main concerns are that XP doesn't have any sort of SMART support and leaving the VM up will cause double the nominal read/write cycles to the drive due to effectively having two computers sharing one drive.
Do not worry about this. SSD write endurance (even with the reduced endurance of 3k parts) is so stupid high compared to normal workloads that there is virtually no chance that you'd actually tap the drive out before you tossed it due to being too small or too slow. Seriously, for a normal person--even if you assume that the VM doubles your actual writes--it would literally take several years before you even have to think about worrying about it. And by then you'll be itching to upgrade to the SATA 4 5TB SSD that you're seeing on NewEgg for $150, anyhow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DrDork posted:

Do not worry about this. it would literally take several years before you even have to think about worrying about it. And by then you'll be itching to upgrade to the SATA 4 5TB SSD that you're seeing on NewEgg for $150, anyhow.

Doubtful, the thing is quite literally bolted to the wall in my "under the stairs" hall closet next to my wifi router, attached (along with the router and cable modem) to a UPS*. Hopefully the next and last time I look at this machine will be to plug an external USB drive in to one of the USB 3.0 ports for additional storage in a couple of years. The primary drive is a 60GB SSD and has ~51GB free, I don't expect to ever fill that up.

*I recommend this to everyone, download speeds during blackouts are insane

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hadlock posted:

Doubtful, the thing is quite literally bolted to the wall in my "under the stairs" hall closet next to my wifi router, attached (along with the router and cable modem) to a UPS*. Hopefully the next and last time I look at this machine will be to plug an external USB drive in to one of the USB 3.0 ports for additional storage in a couple of years. The primary drive is a 60GB SSD and has ~51GB free, I don't expect to ever fill that up.

Wouldn't the cable go out during blackouts?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For whatever reason, it doesn't. I suspect this is because they offer landline service over cable now and whatever uptime is required for that. The router + modem will run for about 5 hours off the 5Ah battery, which coincidentally is about how long my laptop's battery is useful for.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I love when the power goes out at work, I'm the only desktop on UPS, and so it our modem/router. Just sittin' in the dark surfing the internet. :coolfish:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I was once playing Battlefield 2142 with the cable modem, monitor and all other essentials (including networking) plugged into a UPS. I was able to play through for another half-hour before deciding to shut it all down. If I had sound still (speakers were not on battery), I might have stuck around a bit longer.

Kind of eerie when the rest of the house and street are almost pitch black.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This is like a month old, but BeHardware posted updated SSD return rate statistics. OCZ is the only manufacturer with failure rates significantly above 1%, and the only drives with failure rates above 5% are OCZ models. Interestingly, even OCZ's failure rates seem to be settling down to a steady-state rate of 5%, still about five times the industry average. It'll be interesting to see how their new "commitment to reliability" impacts the Vector, but we won't know for quite some time.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

quote:

- 40.00% for the OCZ Petrol 64 GB
- 39.42% for the OCZ Petrol 128 GB
- 30.85% for the OCZ Octane 128 GB SATA II
- 29.46% for the OCZ Octane 64 GB SATA II
:stare:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They still sell those?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Bob Morales posted:

They still sell those?
The SATAII versions are EOL'd, however here's one of the SATAIII's. At least the highlighted reviews sum the drive up well.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 12, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe the previous higher return rates were due to firmware issues? Sandforce firmware seems to have stabilized, people are quick to recommend almost all the SF drives where a few months ago most people would've said to avoid them. Probably an inverse reason for Crucial going up, too. People returning because of the recent firmware problems?

Nice to see the Samsung drives right about where they should be and the recommendations for 830s were still good when we didn't have this information.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
The 120 gig Samsung 840 for $100 w/ 20 rebate JUST sold out on Newegg. Motherfucker! The 60 gig Intel 330 for $60 looks all the more appealing now.. But I must show restraint :(

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Cromlech posted:

The 120 gig Samsung 840 for $100 w/ 20 rebate JUST sold out on Newegg. Motherfucker! The 60 gig Intel 330 for $60 looks all the more appealing now.. But I must show restraint :(
It would be an incredibly poor choice to buy either drives. The Samsung 840 is extremely low endurance and there is a very real risk that the 120GB models especially will wear out during normal usage, that's why it's on the "DO NOT BUY" list in the OP. Check out the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos or wait for something decent to go on sale.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Oh. Yeah, I mean I did see it in the OP, but it was a year old and I didn't check the edit date. Whoops. I'll wait for a nice Intel/Samsung 830 deal then. (830s are good, right?)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Grim Up North posted:

You probably won't notice, I have a 120Gb SSD I load with VDI's poo poo fly's most storage vendors are recommending SSD's for VDI anyways. The likely hood of you killing the SSD prior to you upgrading it is unlikely.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Cromlech posted:

Oh. Yeah, I mean I did see it in the OP, but it was a year old and I didn't check the edit date. Whoops. I'll wait for a nice Intel/Samsung 830 deal then. (830s are good, right?)

Samsung 830s are good, yes.

Also, apparently discontinued.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Even with that, you're likely to have to service the UPS battery before the SSD taps out its write endurance, especially with so much free space.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the Samsung 830s have been replaced with the 840 Pros. I fully expect them to be as reliable and faster than the Samsung 830, but I'm not comfortable with recommending them until they've had a few months to mature. The 840 non-Pro on the other hand, I think there's potential for the 250GB models to be rather reliable when mature, but I'm really concerned about how the 120GB models will do. You're looking at ~3.5 years of endurance for a pessimistic desktop workload (10GB/day with 10X write amplification), which is worrying.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
There are many cheap-ish Intel 330 on ebay sold by people flipping blackfriday deals.

If you're comfortable with ebay, they're decent deals.
120 for 180gb, 160 for 240gb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any news on those Corsairs with the Link_A_Media Devices controller?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
The SanDisk Extreme 240GB drives are going at $166. Are these good drives? Should I hold out for a better offer? I have an 830 that I got for $80 (128gb) but once they introduced the 840 they rocketed up to stupid pricing, and I was hoping to get another one soon but at $1/GB that's ridiculous.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Any news on those Corsairs with the Link_A_Media Devices controller?
They're pretty terrible, I haven't seen any evidence of that changing any time soon.

Steiler Drep posted:

The SanDisk Extreme 240GB drives are going at $166. Are these good drives? Should I hold out for a better offer? I have an 830 that I got for $80 (128gb) but once they introduced the 840 they rocketed up to stupid pricing, and I was hoping to get another one soon but at $1/GB that's ridiculous.
I bought one in the Black Friday sale and I'm pretty happy with it, just make sure you update the firmware as soon as you get it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Alereon posted:

I bought one in the Black Friday sale and I'm pretty happy with it, just make sure you update the firmware as soon as you get it.

Yeah, it's been pretty good so far, speed numbers right around where you'd expect (which is pretty darn good for an imaged system). I'll also note that SanDisk's SSD ToolKit is surprisingly unobtrusive, only runs when you want it to, and makes flashing the firmware stupidly easy, especially if you have a USB thumbdrive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alereon posted:

I didn't even think to do this for my SanDisk Extreme 240...is there any risk to my data for updating the firmware if I do it now? I bought mine the same day you did.

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009
So I haven't seen this drive mentioned, but I've been looking at the Comay Venus Pro 3 for my laptop. It has a SandForce 2281 controller, Intel synchronous nand, a three-year warranty, and a built-in capacitor to prevent data loss. Only place I can find it is from M Factors (http://tinyurl.com/b9co4u3), but the price seems good. Anyone know anything about these drives? Are they legit?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

I didn't even think to do this for my SanDisk Extreme 240...is there any risk to my data for updating the firmware if I do it now? I bought mine the same day you did.
Virtually all firmware updates these days are non-destructive. You should still obviously back up anything that you just couldn't afford to lose, but you should be able to update without issue.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Shooting Blanks posted:

I updated the firmware on mine after imaging to it, and it seems to have worked flawlessly. Should be fine! :banjo:

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
So, I've never bought a SSD before, but I'm looking into them since I am building a new PC soon. I'm not sure how up to date the OP is, so what are the better drives to keep an eye out for? Has the Samsung 840 Pro matured enough to be a good option?

Also, I saw in the deal thread that NCIX has an Intel 330 240gb listed for $155. But from looking at more recent benchmarks it seems like the Intel 330 isn't that great anymore.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The OP was just updated a week or two ago; it's pretty current. No, the 840 Pro hasn't had enough time on the market to really be considered "mature," but if you're ok with the risk, chances are good that it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kthegreat posted:

\Also, I saw in the deal thread that NCIX has an Intel 330 240gb listed for $155. But from looking at more recent benchmarks it seems like the Intel 330 isn't that great anymore.

Don't shop based on benchmarks.

• Locked thread