Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

alternate.eago posted:

Holy poo poo, since I upgraded to the iphone 5, I've used 9GB of data this month....

I really hope that I can keep unlimited data forever!
This month‽ What have you been doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I think that even during my heaviest month when I was with t-mobile I only managed to rack up a little over 2gb, and I was doing absolutely crazy poo poo to even get to that point, I can't imagine how you get to 9gb without tethering.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I use just over 2gb every month, but since I get LTE at home I don't bother with WiFi and I've only ever used half my data allowance.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

I think that even during my heaviest month when I was with t-mobile I only managed to rack up a little over 2gb, and I was doing absolutely crazy poo poo to even get to that point, I can't imagine how you get to 9gb without tethering.

Heavy video streaming. It's really easy to use a ton of bandwidth if you're streaming Netflix like crazy.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Netflix and streaming video at work mostly... Pandora in the car for 2 hours a day minimum, maybe more if I'm listening to it at work. It's funny because I only have talked for about 21 or so minutes this month to phones outside the vzw network.

Also since the dropbox and google drive apps work so well, I've been using it a lot for accessing big files since I haven't been at my desk in quite a while.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I pulled about 2GB in an hour watching HD youtube.

I watched videos before and it wasn't that bad, but the Note 2 will get full 720p video quality it seems.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The iPhone 5 and 4s dropped in price at sams Club to $147 and $47 respectively for the base 16gb models. Not sure if it dropped elsewhere.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Best Buy.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Wow, VZW is now showing the Galaxy S3 as a Jelly Bean phone on their product page.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/11/verizons-galaxy-s3-page-highlights-the-benefits-of-jelly-bean-a-version-of-android-its-not-yet-running/

Stay loving classy VZW.

I want the promised GSM World Roaming unlock, hopefully it's included. I wouldn't have purchased the S3 if the sales rep hadn't told me it would be getting added in a "coming soon" update.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

stormrider posted:

Wow, VZW is now showing the Galaxy S3 as a Jelly Bean phone on their product page.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/11/verizons-galaxy-s3-page-highlights-the-benefits-of-jelly-bean-a-version-of-android-its-not-yet-running/

Stay loving classy VZW.

I want the promised GSM World Roaming unlock, hopefully it's included. I wouldn't have purchased the S3 if the sales rep hadn't told me it would be getting added in a "coming soon" update.

Also none of those S3s have the Verizon logo on the button.

e: oh poo poo that was the Note 2

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Well I just got back from the Verizon store, comparing the S3, Note 2, and Razr Maxx HD. The Razr seemed smoother to me than the S3, and I like the lack of the physical home button. The Note 2 is loving huge, but the stylus is really cool. One of the sales guys there had an interesting workaround to keeping my unlimited data. He said that we could add another line onto our family plan (currently have 4), get the subsidized price on that line, and then transfer the phone to me. He said it would be $10/mo for the extra line, so $240 over the 2 year contract. $240 + subsidized phone price is cheaper than the full price of the phone.

Is it possible to root the Razr at the moment?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 12, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeesh, Ars managed to get 7 days of minor use out of their test Razr MAXX HD.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

big mean giraffe posted:

I use just over 2gb every month, but since I get LTE at home I don't bother with WiFi and I've only ever used half my data allowance.

Blows my mind more people dont use unlimited like crazy.

That was last month. I'm sure this month will be more since now the towers I'll be on are even faster. Netflix sure does burn up data!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

That was last month. I'm sure this month will be more since now the towers I'll be on are even faster. Netflix sure does burn up data!
Do you not have another device? How the gently caress do you use 85 GB of data in a month on a phone?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sleepwalkers posted:

Do you not have another device? How the gently caress do you use 85 GB of data in a month on a phone?

Netflix. Seriously.

Plus, Its my music and everything else. And yes, I have other devices. Laptops and such. But when im not home, im using my LTE for a hotspot or something. And honestly netflix for 2-3 hours is easily 2-3 gigs. LTE being 30+ megs a second, plus we're talking on a TV not my phone. Its going to suck down data like crazy.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

EbolaIvory posted:

Netflix. Seriously.

Plus, Its my music and everything else. And yes, I have other devices. Laptops and such. But when im not home, im using my LTE for a hotspot or something. And honestly netflix for 2-3 hours is easily 2-3 gigs. LTE being 30+ megs a second, plus we're talking on a TV not my phone. Its going to suck down data like crazy.

Out of curiosity, what phone do you have?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Super Dude posted:

Out of curiosity, what phone do you have?

2 Currently. I bounce between a razr maxx and a galaxy nexus.

That SS is from my nexus.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I don't have unlimited, and I have a TV for Netflix and movies and stuff, and if I'm not at home I'm doing something and not watching poo poo on my phone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't have unlimited, and I have a TV for Netflix and movies and stuff, and if I'm not at home I'm doing something and not watching poo poo on my phone.

I did mention that this is watching netflix via a TV. Just, FYI.

I'm a bit more extreme that some. But my point is, Even when I'm not using the poo poo out of data for netflix or something, I still hit 9-10 gigs a month. Just normal daily poo poo like facebook, twitter, 3 email accounts, fidelity poo poo, GPS, Music, etc. Just blows my mind goons are barely cracking 2 gigs. Thats all.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Even when I'm not using the poo poo out of data for netflix or something, I still hit 9-10 gigs a month. Just normal daily poo poo like facebook, twitter, 3 email accounts, fidelity poo poo, GPS, Music, etc. Just blows my mind goons are barely cracking 2 gigs. Thats all.

Uh, if you're breaking 9-10 gigs a month doing "normal daily poo poo," you're probably not doing anything very normal.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I did mention that this is watching netflix via a TV. Just, FYI.

My computer does Netflix a hell of a lot better than my phone for one.

RVProfootballer posted:

Uh, if you're breaking 9-10 gigs a month doing "normal daily poo poo," you're probably not doing anything very normal.

This. I stream a lot of music in my car, update all my apps, browse the forums a ton, etc and still never got higher than 2.5 gigs. You are an EXTREME outlier.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

stormrider posted:

Stay loving classy VZW.

It already supports international GSM. Check your "mobile networks"

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

big mean giraffe posted:

My computer does Netflix a hell of a lot better than my phone for one.

This. I stream a lot of music in my car, update all my apps, browse the forums a ton, etc and still never got higher than 2.5 gigs. You are an EXTREME outlier.

It sounds like he is using his phone to get netflix to his TV, not watching it directly on his phone (either streaming to the tv or tethering to it if the tv has internet capability).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

An hour of Netflix or a few hours of Pandora every day is a pretty normal use of a pocket computer. Stop following along with the forced definition of normal usage the telecoms use.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

An hour of Netflix or a few hours of Pandora every day is a pretty normal use of a pocket computer. Stop following along with the forced definition of normal usage the telecoms use.

He is watching netflix on TV at a fixed location that can easily have wifi. Normal people would just watch normal tv or use the wifi provided. But who cares :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fallom posted:

Stop following along with the forced definition of normal usage the telecoms use.
Do you think Verizon/ATT are lying when they make a claim like "95% (or whatever very high percentage) of our smartphone customers use less than 2GB of data per month"?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Mighty Horse posted:

It already supports international GSM. Check your "mobile networks"

That allows roaming on cdma. The phone has gsm hardware that “will be enabled with a future update." there is a big thread on XDA with a root workaround.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW
I'm really enjoying the battery life I'm getting from my Razr M, made it a little over 20 hours and had 20% left.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

RVProfootballer posted:

I use about 10 gigs a month - streaming 128kbps net radio for a 1.5 hour commute each way with TuneIn, Netflix, emails, LogMeIn, SongPop, and tethering every once in awhile if I am out and about away from WiFi. My usage also jumped when I went from a 3G BlackBerry to 4G Android last year - no longer was it a pain to do anything with the phone aside from email and stream some audio.

I know I'm not normal for most, but this is normal for me. Streaming audio has taken the place of the AM/FM radio for me in the car, and I have an absurdly long commute. But I'm not using it for BitTorrent or anything like that.

On the upside, the Verizon people do not try to sell me on anything that would mess with my unlimited data once they see my usage...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Cross posting from SAmart, I'm looking for a used S3.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522257&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fallom posted:

This.
An hour of HD netflix + Music in my car is easily over 500mb.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Do you think Verizon/ATT are lying when they make a claim like "95% (or whatever very high percentage) of our smartphone customers use less than 2GB of data per month"?

No, Its totally true. Or Was.

LTE really steps things up because of how fast you can burn through data without even knowing it. I seriously went from 2 or so gigs to 9-10 gigs every month simply because my streams got better because theres more speed.

LTE changes the game.

bigtom posted:

On the upside, the Verizon people do not try to sell me on anything that would mess with my unlimited data once they see my usage...

Every phonecall went from 'Hey you should switch to family share!' to "Oh boy lets make sure you dont lose that unlimited"

DaNzA posted:

He is watching netflix on TV at a fixed location that can easily have wifi. Normal people would just watch normal tv or use the wifi provided. But who cares :)

Except the cheapest ISP around here for usable HD streaming would cost 40-50 bucks a month. "easily" Yes. Affordable? No.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Apparently the price of the Note 2 was dropped to $199 by a few retailers, but not Verizon. Does anyone know if Big Red offers a refund on the difference? Unlikely, I'm sure...

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Apparently the price of the Note 2 was dropped to $199 by a few retailers, but not Verizon. Does anyone know if Big Red offers a refund on the difference? Unlikely, I'm sure...

To competitors, no. But if corporate pricing drops before 1/15/2013, which is this holiday's Worry Free Guarantee period, you can get a refund.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Usually these cheaper phones have extra stipulations. If you don't use the phone for whatever period of time, you owe the retailer an extra fee.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/12/verizon-approves-jelly-bean-update-for-galaxy-s3/#disqus_thread

Galaxy S3 people rejoice it appears that we're gonna get JB on the 14th

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Does Verizon seriously not sell the iPhone 5 in their stores? I'm upgrading the end of this month and according to their website it's online only?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

roboshit posted:

Does Verizon seriously not sell the iPhone 5 in their stores? I'm upgrading the end of this month and according to their website it's online only?

Probably still limited in stock. Call your local store.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So I might be buying a phone from a guy on Craigslist tonight or tomorrow. I've heard that it's good to meet at a Verizon store if possible because they can tell you right there if the phone is valid and can be activated on my account. Is this true? What specifically do I need to ask the employee at Verizon?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

roboshit posted:

My Verizon store had tons of them as of 2 days ago.

I went to Best Buy though, they have all iPhones for $50 off. Target/Radio Shack/Sams Club are price matching too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

roboshit posted:

I walked right in to my local Verizon store, pointed at the iPhone 5's and said "gimme!"

So yes, some stores are stocking them.

• Locked thread