Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Yes they do look different, but without studying the details I'd have a hard time telling which is which. You could put a Honda badge on either of those and I wouldn't even blink. To me that means the styling is too generic/similar.

Some say you can play the badge switching game with any modern car, but I think there are plenty of companies that create non-generic designs today (Volvo, BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes, and maybe even VW to name a few).

ynotony fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, sounds like a good opportunity for a truck and ute event. Motorcycle in the bed, boat trailer at the back.

Maybe mount an ultralight on the boat so you fly that sucker right off of the water.

Why not make it so the ute IS the boat?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I saw a new Lincoln MKZ on the road around Dearborn the other day and I think I really...like it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SouthLAnd posted:

I saw a new Lincoln MKZ on the road around Dearborn the other day and I think I really...like it?

I think the MKZ's problem is going to be that the Fusion Titanium is cheaper, looks arguably better on the outside and has a similar interior.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't like the V angle the mustache grille forms. The rear is nice, but a bit reminiscent of the Volt.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MikeyTsi posted:

Why not make it so the ute IS the boat?

IDK then you lose dudes scrambling to get their boats in the water. Its like how pit stops are half the fun of racing. You've also got a blooper DVD of terrible mistakes that is guaranteed to sell.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I don't like the V angle the mustache grille forms. The rear is nice, but a bit reminiscent of the Volt.

I'll admit it certainly seems to be one of those cars that "looks better in person". I think the availability of the 300hp V6 and all glass roof should help it stand out against the Fusion Titanium, and if it continues the trend set by previous models, the THX sound system should be amazing (compared to the mediocre high-end Sony audio in previous top trim Fusions).

As far as platform sharing goes, these two are hardly the worst offenders. Still, Lincoln will certainly need to go further if they want the brand to live on.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

Still, Lincoln will certainly need to go further if they want the brand to live on.

They're doing it backwards. Despite how much money they're pouring into advertising, the MKZ is most likely going to be a failure. They should've started by making a compelling RWD vehicle, THEN spending on image. Using a car nobody asked for as a litmus test for the viability of your brand is a bad idea.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Is there any point at all to that window behind the C pillar? It looks to be all of 4 square inches and wouldn't any passenger's head be too far forward to see through it anyway?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

davebo posted:

Is there any point at all to that window behind the C pillar? It looks to be all of 4 square inches and wouldn't any passenger's head be too far forward to see through it anyway?

Like Audi, I expect the idea is to visually lengthen the wheelbase to make up for the fwd front overhang

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Not like it helps that much but think how horrendous your blind spots would be with that '4-door coupe' C-pillar and no glass

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Like Audi, I expect the idea is to visually lengthen the wheelbase to make up for the fwd front overhang
It also probably lightens the rear end in the side view, it'd probably be a bit too much of a slab back there without it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

The rear is nice, but a bit reminiscent of the Volt.

More like the only rear a Cylon would drive :awesomelon:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

IDK then you lose dudes scrambling to get their boats in the water. Its like how pit stops are half the fun of racing. You've also got a blooper DVD of terrible mistakes that is guaranteed to sell.

Yeah, but instead you get the added fun of dudes scrambling to try to keep their "boats" from sinking.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
not sure if its new enough for this thread but i saw a ferrari FF today and uhh... i guess if you liked the z4 coupe and want a really expensive clown shoe.

I've seen a couple of 458s though and hot drat they look really good.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the new GM trucks are revealed

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/13/2014-chevrolet-silverado-and-gmc-sierra-debut-all-new-designs-t/

Looks pretty nice. It's interesting that the are sticking with pushrod engined throughout the range, and the 4.3l 90* V6 is staying with DI and cylinder deactivation, and all engines are now aluminum blocks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Keep your truck chat to yourself. How can we complain that the new sports car is useless at towing things we don't own if you let us own a truck too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

Looks pretty nice. It's interesting that the are sticking with pushrod engined throughout the range, and the 4.3l 90* V6 is staying with DI and cylinder deactivation, and all engines are now aluminum blocks.

They talk about using "truck engines" like it's a huge advantage vs using engines derived from passenger cars. What's the big deal about pushrods that I'm missing? Ford seems to be having great success with the 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5 Ecoboost, which are both passenger car derived engines.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Weinertron posted:

They talk about using "truck engines" like it's a huge advantage vs using engines derived from passenger cars. What's the big deal about pushrods that I'm missing? Ford seems to be having great success with the 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5 Ecoboost, which are both passenger car derived engines.

I'm not a huge gearhead but I think that line about "truck engine" vs "car engine" is all marketing. its like the inverse of the old "corvettes and vipers use truck engines LOL american'thandle".

I can see the GM commercial now talking about their tough truck motor with a solid 6 speed and none of that turbo 8 gear nonsense :911:

Good engines are good engines.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Weinertron posted:

Both the 5.3L and 6.2L are car derived engines...the rumor is that the 6.2L V8 is going to be even more closely related to the 6.2L in the Corvette. And a V8 with 11.5:1 compression? Yeah, that definitely is a engine with sports car origins, haha.

The 8 speed transmission is in the pipeline anyhow. This is similar to the GMT900 release where the 4 speed was initially available, they started offering the 6 speed in the Denali and then by 2008/2009, the 6 speed became optional or standard with all of the engines.

But seeing as I'm in the market for a new pickup, I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 13, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Weinertron posted:

If it is still based on the current 4.3, their "truck engine" was born in the 1985 caprice.

The lack of a turbo engine or 8-9 speed here is surprising, especially considering this truck will probably be on the market in this form into the 2017 model year.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new GM trucks are revealed

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/13/2014-chevrolet-silverado-and-gmc-sierra-debut-all-new-designs-t/

I thought the vortecs were pretty much LS motors minus the aluminum block. Whats the difference now? I personally am pretty stoked for a lot of lightweight compact V8s prime for the swapping once those things get a little older.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So how much bigger are these than the outgoing model? Gotta keep making it harder for me to see around the guy that will put something in the bed twice during the entire time he owns it.

The GMC doesn't look too bad though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I rent an F-150 from Enterprise about once per year to haul poo poo to the dump and I always get (because that's all they ever have) the worthless double crew cab thing with the tiny bed. What's the loving point of those things besides vanity? Just get a Tahoe/Suburban with a roof rack.

I can put nearly as many bags of dirt in the trunk of my 3 or 5 series BMW's as a crew cab bed.

I like the looks of Chevy trucks though, always have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

I rent an F-150 from Enterprise about once per year to haul poo poo to the dump and I always get (because that's all they ever have) the worthless double crew cab thing with the tiny bed. What's the loving point of those things besides vanity? Just get a Tahoe/Suburban with a roof rack.

I can put nearly as many bags of dirt in the trunk of my 3 or 5 series BMW's as a crew cab bed.

I like the looks of Chevy trucks though, always have.

I've hauled 6 11r24.5 tires in the 5.5" bed of my pickup. Or a large couch and love seat. I even got half of a big rig hood in there with the tonneau cover on. It is a nice medium between a long box truck and a car.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Really the thing to do is to drive cars but then have an old 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed that you can toss firewood and engines in the back and tow big trailers and and load it up with hogs for market and give no fucks all day long.

:clint:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Really the thing to do is to drive cars but then have an old 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed that you can toss firewood and engines in the back and tow big trailers and and load it up with hogs for market and give no fucks all day long.

:clint:

every rich guy in Texas has their "nice truck" which is an f-150 king ranch or maybe a GMC SUV with upgraded interior their ranch truck which is a early 20k late 90's F150 F250 or GM that might as well not have an interior and some kind of normal person car with the nice interior upgrade.

Usage is:

Drive the nice truck to the ranch
Drive the ranch truck on the ranch
Drive the normal car when going out in the city/wife drives the normal car the rest of the time.

When the nice truck gets old it becomes the farm truck, the farm truck is either sold or given to teenage child if its in decent condition the normal car is as far as I can tell never replaced.

This is law.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

If it is still based on the current 4.3, their "truck engine" was born in the 1985 caprice.

The lack of a turbo engine or 8-9 speed here is surprising, especially considering this truck will probably be on the market in this form into the 2017 model year.

Past launches from GM have seen them staggering out a lot of stuff instead of launching with a full line-up of engines. The new Malibu was hybrid only at launch. It's possible more engine choices may come/be announced in another year or two.

As to the styling, it looks like all they did was add more chrome and made everything more gaudy. Even the lower trims without a ton of extraneous chrome seem like they will look funny. Especially those gross headlights and needlessly giant grille that, to me, looks too much Ford's front ends. Not a fan of the squircle fender flares, either - reminds me a bit of the GMC Terrain. I would have preferred if they had just kept closer to the cleaner looks of the previous generation, but, whatever, they're trucks and they look pretty decent overall.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 13, 2012

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Powershift posted:

Apparently the 4.3 is an all new engine..effectively just the current LT V8 with 2 of the cylinders lopped off.

For the last generation, the LS engines in the trucks had aluminum blocks available. The 6.2L in my truck is all aluminum.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 14, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Truck chat over.

Apparently, Hyundai has successfully reverse trolled MBZ enough to get MBZ to copy them instead of the other way around.

The new MBZ E-Class:

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/detroit/2013/2014-mercedes-e-class-sedan-wagon-to-debut-at-2013-detroit-auto-show.html

quote:

Visually, consumers will immediately notice the E-Class now comes with two different front-end designs. The Luxury version comes with the classic sedan grille with three-louver look and star on the hood, while the Sport version features the sports grille with integrated star, linking to Mercedes' high-performance models."

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 13, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sadi posted:

I thought the vortecs were pretty much LS motors minus the aluminum block. Whats the difference now? I personally am pretty stoked for a lot of lightweight compact V8s prime for the swapping once those things get a little older.

The Vortec name is retired and the new engines are called "Ecotec3". So truck buyers know their engine is from the same family as the engine in the Aveo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Apparently the 4.3 is an all new engine..effectively just the current LT V8 with 2 of the cylinders lopped off.

For the last generation, the LS engines in the trucks were had aluminum blocks available. The 6.2L in my truck is all aluminum.

The 4.3 is a 350 with 2 of the cylinders lopped off :colbert:

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
I meant to point out that they were keeping up with tradition, haha. The previous 4.3L (technically the one you can still order) was still the 5.7L/350/L31 with two cylinders missing....they just kept dragging it along side the LS V8's.

The new 4.3L maintains the tradition of the old one, but is actually based off of the new LT series V8's...it's a legit Gen 5 based V6.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 14, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They also apparently added a balance shaft.

In other news the old 4.3l didn't have a balance shaft. Who knew?

It also makes more power, which one would certainly hope since the old 4.3l was at 200hp while Ford and Chrysler's V6s made over 300.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Throatwarbler posted:

They also apparently added a balance shaft.

In other news the old 4.3l didn't have a balance shaft. Who knew?

It also makes more power, which one would certainly hope since the old 4.3l was at 200hp while Ford and Chrysler's V6s made over 300.
I sure hope it does, though it's a little suspicious that GM's press release does not say how much power any of the three engines makes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keep in mind they still haven't finalized the power output of the LT1 going into the C7, only that it will be 'at least' 450hp. I get the feeling GM is still putting finishing touches on everything before they submit it all to the SAE certification tests and doesn't want to quote a real number before then.

Glad to see that the old GenI 4.3 is finally going away, that engine was an anachronism compared to the rest of the market.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

IOwnCalculus posted:

Keep in mind they still haven't finalized the power output of the LT1 going into the C7, only that it will be 'at least' 450hp. I get the feeling GM is still putting finishing touches on everything before they submit it all to the SAE certification tests and doesn't want to quote a real number before then.

Glad to see that the old GenI 4.3 is finally going away, that engine was an anachronism compared to the rest of the market.

These were the rumors that were posted on gm-trucks.com, but until we have some actual data, it's anyones guess.

GM-Trucks.com posted:

GM’s 4.3L V6 makes a clean slate comeback. Now featuring direct injection and active-fuel-management that can cut off two cylinders under light load, the new base engine will produce approximately 320-horsepower.

The venerable 5.3L V8 also makes a return as well. Now placed to compete with Ford’s Eco-boost V6, we expect 360+ horsepower and gain in fuel economy over the current engine. The 5.3L will retain active-fuel-management.

The top of the line engine will remain a 6.2L V8. We’ve heard GM is preparing this engine to be somehow labeled or associated with the Corvette. As such, we expect GM to match the horsepower from the Corvette application. Expect 450+ horsepower. Like the Corvette, this engine will also feature active-fuel-management.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, it would be a pretty big shot at the other two in terms of the horsepower wars - and there's effectively zero cost difference today to build, say, a LS3 instead of a LQ9 or whatever the current 6.2L Vortec RPO is. I bet it would actually be cheaper to reuse the cam and heads from the LT5 than it would be to develop a separate set for a high-end truck application. Accessory drive would need to be different, but it'd almost certainly be 100% identical to the 5.3L truck accessory drive setup. I wouldn't expect to see a dry-sump oiling system in a truck, but again they could probably just use the 5.3L parts here.

The intake manifold is the only component that might need to be custom-made for this 6.2L truck engine; presumably the 5.3L intake might not flow as well as the LT5 piece, but the LT5 intake might not place the throttle body well for the truck's taller engine bay and whatever snorkel / air filter setup the 5.3L uses.

Sadi posted:

Not even minus the aluminum block in many applications; and depending on what you want to do (i.e. boost) the iron block can be more desirable as it is stronger. Keep in mind it is a very modern design, so it's got just enough material to get the job done - even the iron block LSx is still a relatively lightweight engine, even compared to a GenI SBC.

Xguard86 posted:

Drive the nice truck to the ranch
Drive the ranch truck on the ranch
Drive the normal car when going out in the city/wife drives the normal car the rest of the time.

When the nice truck gets old it becomes the farm truck, the farm truck is either sold or given to teenage child if its in decent condition the normal car is as far as I can tell never replaced.

This is law.

Ayup. Only reason my GMC avoided being run into the ground working on the farm is that apparently everyone hated the particular three-on-the-tree setup on it (it was far more fickle than any other they'd had, before or since) so it was given to my mom when it was done with a short 'nice truck' tour of duty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ayup. Only reason my GMC avoided being run into the ground working on the farm is that apparently everyone hated the particular three-on-the-tree setup on it (it was far more fickle than any other they'd had, before or since) so it was given to my mom when it was done with a short 'nice truck' tour of duty.

This sounds like most of Alberta, too, except the nice truck is also the vehicle of choice in the winter since it has better clearance and 4WD.

It's funny: one of my friends has a Toyota Tundra, which I've never seen him use for particularly "trucky" things like towing or transporting large amounts of dirty stuff, but on the other hand considering most guys/families in his position have two or more vehicles, and that's the only vehicle for his entire family, it's hard for me to say it's particularly wasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The new GM truck looks pretty awful to me. Those square shaped wheel cutouts and flares look stupid and can't do anything good for wind resistance. The grille looks tacky. The marketing-speak attached to the six cylinder engine is pretty comical.

I bet GM spends a lot less money per engine than Ford and Toyota though. They buy half as many valves and one fourth the camshafts.