Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They videos got removed from his channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Krazie K posted:

I've been on motorcycles for nearly forty years. Some truths as I see them are:

1. Your ninja 650 will beat my Harley 88 (1400 cc) in speed any day of the week. That's OK. Ninjas however are built to be fast...it's a totally different machine. However, if I maintain my Harley, someone will be drinking beer out of the cans made from your recycled Ninja long before I rebuild my Harley engine.

2. Motorcycle clubs are not gangs. Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMGs) are a law enforcement fabrication. While you were sleeping, the government modified the US Constitution by the "gangarization" of various groups of citizens at will, along with the loss of certain legal protections due to Nixon's ongoing "war on drugs." I love the freedoms we used to have.

3. Any idiot that would discuss club (or if you must, OMG) business with an outsider, is not a club (OMG) member.

4. Always apply the front and rear brakes according to the situation. Safety is not just the road-captain's job.

5. Helmets are safer, but I don't wear one all the time. I also don't want the government telling me that I "have' to wear one. At 80 MPH, a helmet is most likely not going to matter anyway.

6. Its not a question as to "if" you are involved in an accident, but "when." Usually it will be the car driver's fault. My most recent accident (2007) left me with a titanium rod in my right ankle.

7. Chicks that are impressed by shiny cars & motorcycles, are just vapid enough to avoid.

8. I ride because it's fun.

9. If you can actually "lay it down" to avoid an accident, then you're Steve McQueen reincarnated.

10. Loud pipes don't necessarily save lives, but "Loud pipes Save Lives" is a nifty rhyme. In some municipalities, loud pipes can attract traffic tickets and police harassment.

Its like all you guys saw the words Harley and Helmet in the same post and started frothing and gibbering.
He didn't say anything too far form the CA party line if you actually read it.

Wulframn posted:

I apologize if it appears that I am attempting to run him off, but his fallacious post is not the kind of diversity that is wanted or welcome. If he is here to be open-minded and learn (which I like to think he is, being a member) then he needs to stop spreading information that we have long since eschewed.

you are like if Z3n and Sagebrush mated and had a precocious whiney manbaby

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 12, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wulframn posted:

I apologize if it appears that I am attempting to run him off, but his fallacious post is not the kind of diversity that is wanted or welcome. If he is here to be open-minded and learn (which I like to think he is, being a member) then he needs to stop spreading information that we have long since eschewed.

And the proper way to reflect that sentiment is ":frogout:"?

Disagree and voice your opinion, fine. But I'd encourage you to be open-minded as well, and try understand his perspective to view what he says thru that light. There's a lot that can be learned from guys like him provided we don't immediately run them out of the forum.

I'd much rather have someone interesting around that I don't agree with. It gives you other perspectives and ways of thinking about something, even if you aren't going to adapt them yourself.

And really, I find posts by guys like him way more interesting to read than forum members who toe the CA line and do everything Goon Approved®.

He's been riding for 40 years, I think he has something interesting to say. In fact I know he does, he posted it. I only have qualms with a few of them.

Especially compared to some of the bottle rocket posters we get in here that get all gung ho about riding, then give it up quickly. Remember Fixed Gear Guy? Went from not riding -> MSF -> Ninja 250 -> Ducati Monster -> training to be a MSF coach -> Sold bike and not riding in the space of a year. He might have had opinions that were "wanted and welcome" but he had little experience to share and now he's gone.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Pope Mobile posted:

Women who like cars & bikes are "vapid"? Is it because they have vaginas and don't actually understand bikes like Real MenTM? Why can women not like motorcycles without being dumb hoores? Is my girlfriend vapid because she likes my bike? Way to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

If you met her by riding a bike up to your local Denny's, and she immediately ran out and shoved her tits in your face while straddling your gas tank then yes she is. Way to take a clear call out of a walking talking stereotype and think it applies to your girlfriend.

This thread has gone meta as hell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

echomadman posted:

Manbabies havin' manbabies.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Halo_4am posted:

This thread has gone meta as hell.

It's cyclical like the seasons, but it occurs much more frequently.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

echomadman posted:

Awesome :yayclod:

nsaP posted:

And the proper way to reflect that sentiment is ":frogout:"?

Disagree and voice your opinion, fine. But I'd encourage you to be open-minded as well, and try understand his perspective to view what he says thru that light. There's a lot that can be learned from guys like him provided we don't immediately run them out of the forum.

I'd much rather have someone interesting around that I don't agree with. It gives you other perspectives and ways of thinking about something, even if you aren't going to adapt them yourself.

And really, I find posts by guys like him way more interesting to read than forum members who toe the CA line and do everything Goon Approved®.

He's been riding for 40 years, I think he has something interesting to say. In fact I know he does, he posted it. I only have qualms with a few of them.

Especially compared to some of the bottle rocket posters we get in here that get all gung ho about riding, then give it up quickly. Remember Fixed Gear Guy? Went from not riding -> MSF -> Ninja 250 -> Ducati Monster -> training to be a MSF coach -> Sold bike and not riding in the space of a year. He might have had opinions that were "wanted and welcome" but he had little experience to share and now he's gone.

My :frogout: was directed to what I presumed was a troll post.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Halo_4am posted:

If you met her by riding a bike up to your local Denny's, and she immediately ran out and shoved her tits in your face while straddling your gas tank then yes she is. Way to take a clear call out of a walking talking stereotype and think it applies to your girlfriend.

Quick, tell me stereotypes exist for a reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Wulframn posted:

Also, I say this knowing that I sometimes don't wear a helmet on my way to the mailbox because - hey! - it's just a quick ride up there and back, why should I? But, I'm also a big boy willing to take responsibility for my choices.)

1. It's okay to do this cause you'll put your helmet on when you're planning to crash, though, right? and
2. ATGATT is as much about creating a no-thought-required habit and being comfortable in the gear as it is safety. If you make a point that every single time you are on your bike you are wearing all your gear, then you don't feel like you're missing any "freedom" by wearing it, because that's just the way it always is when you're on the bike. Make it a ritual that you go through before you even sit down.

And that's all the safety nannying I'm gonna do.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Quick, tell me stereotypes exist for a reason.

You seem like a lot of fun to be around.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Sagebrush posted:

1. It's okay to do this cause you'll put your helmet on when you're planning to crash, though, right? and
2. ATGATT is as much about creating a no-thought-required habit and being comfortable in the gear as it is safety. If you make a point that every single time you are on your bike you are wearing all your gear, then you don't feel like you're missing any "freedom" by wearing it, because that's just the way it always is when you're on the bike. Make it a ritual that you go through before you even sit down.

Yes, Mom.

Wait... are you or Z3n the Mom? I need to get this straight. :v:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

And shortly after you have made this your routine you will feel naked without a major piece of your armor.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Wulframn posted:

Yes, Mom.

Wait... are you or Z3n the Mom? I need to get this straight. :v:

They can both be dad (unless neither have beards).

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
I split the crotch on my jeans the other week while going commando. Bare nuts and engine heat is an interesting combo.

Just thought I'd share.

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

Well, sorry if I ruined anyone's day...it was not my intention. I just thought I had a little something to add. Such is life.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Pope Mobile posted:

They can both be dad (unless neither have beards).

I... have two daddies? :smith: But all the kids at school will make fun of me.

ThatCguy posted:

I split the crotch on my jeans the other week while going commando. Bare nuts and engine heat is an interesting combo.

Just thought I'd share.

I learned to always wear my motorcycle boots the first time I scorched my ankle on the blazing pipe that burns hotter than fifteen white hot suns while wearing dress shoes on the way to an interview.

Dress shoes go into my backpack now.

Edit:

Krazie K posted:

Well, sorry if I ruined anyone's day...it was not my intention. I just thought I had a little something to add. Such is life.

If you ruined anyone's day then they need to get a loving life.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Krazie K posted:

On the contrary, it takes a post like yours to wake this place up.

Hang around.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wulframn posted:

He needs to be open-minded and learn to think and act exactly in the same way as we do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Krazie K posted:

Nah stick around. This place could use a little more spice.

quote:

I... have two daddies? But all the kids at school will make fun of me.

2 daddies mean twice the power to reinforce the stereotype that men solve their problems with their fists!

(Usually with brofists after a good talk about what it means to have 2 daddies)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

6' 1", but the bike was $800 running fairly well. It does have a custom seat on it that thankfully nets me a couple of extra inches of leg room.

Where do you get such a thing? I have a similar small bike/lanky bastard problem.

edit: Also I like this Krazie K dude, the no-knowledge twenty-somethings who've had a bike for 3 months (ie, me) could use another old fella that's been riding for ages, now that goddamnedtwisto doesn't post as much. I find it interesting that the only thing he said that differed from standard CA doctrine was the helmet thing, yet since he put Harley and "loud pipes save lives" in his post all sorts of poo poo got thrown at him that had nothing to do with his post.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 12, 2012

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Wootcannon posted:

Where do you get such a thing? I have a similar small bike/lanky bastard problem.

edit: Also I like this Krazie K dude, the no-knowledge twenty-somethings who've had a bike for 3 months (ie, me) could use another old fella that's been riding for ages, now that goddamnedtwisto doesn't post as much. I find it interesting that the only thing he said that differed from standard CA doctrine was the helmet thing, yet since he put Harley and "loud pipes save lives" in his post all sorts of poo poo got thrown at him that had nothing to do with his post.

Jack's Rebel Warehouse makes custom seats that add +/- 3 inches. http://www.rebelcatalog.com/html/250rebels1_8.html

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Wootcannon posted:

I'd check out wulframn's link. My bike came with an aftermarket seat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wootcannon posted:

I find it interesting that the only thing he said that differed from standard CA doctrine was the helmet thing, yet since he put Harley and "loud pipes save lives" in his post all sorts of poo poo got thrown at him that had nothing to do with his post.

The one thing that got to me was the "there's no such thing as Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs" thing and US Constitution conspiracy theory.

I have friends who've had unfortunate run-ins with outlaw bikers. They are not nice people, they are not "defenders of freedom" or whatever others nonsense people make up. They're drug-dealing, prostitute-exploiting, murdering criminal scumbags. Their primitive stoneage mentality may have had its place on the Mongol plains of ancient times, but it has absolutely no place in the modern world.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sagebrush posted:

How do skinny jeans fit in with the ATGATT mindset?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

n8r posted:

They fit good under my overpants.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I wear regular jeans with overpants and I have trouble stretching my knees out and occasionally squish a ball. I can't imagine skinny jeans.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

I wear regular jeans with overpants and I have trouble stretching my knees out and occasionally squish a ball. I can't imagine skinny jeans.

Yeah, I lied. Standard boot cut always. Overpants in winter, Kevlar jeans in summer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

n8r posted:

Damnit, that's the only hipster stereotype I absolutely do not subscribe to. Skinny jeans look like poo poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You guys are making me sad. I miss mootmoot :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You guys are making me sad. I miss mootmoot :(

I also miss mootmoot... you all should have let him stay.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wear my APC's under my Aerostich. It's the perfect synergy between Young Hipster and Old Dad. :unsmith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

On the contrary, it takes a post like yours to wake this place up.
Some times you need someone to come in and fart in the echo chamber.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I get asked pretty often "What do you do when it rains?" The same thing you do when walking - I get wet or put on rain gear. If you can't ride in the rain in Western Washington you can never ride.

Yeah, "well, I get wet" "I ride carefully" or "what rain?"

Ironically I think I rode in the rain like twice this last year...but I haven't rode in over a month at this point.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I love my helmet mostly because bikes make scary noises and I hear less of them through it. Safety is a nice added bonus though I'll give you guys that one.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I can't imagine not wearing a full face helmet simply due to the horrible poo poo that flies at my face while riding on a daily basis.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeh, every time a car flips a piece of gravel at my face and I hear it go CRACK off the plastic I'm thankful that it was my visor, and not my eyes or teeth. Once I hit a flying junebug at sixty miles an hour or so, and it was exactly like being shot with a paintball right in the mask.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I had a rock hit me in the knee once with just my jeans on, it hurt like crazy. I couldnt imagine it bouncing off my face.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I got hit in the head by a bird at 60 mph a few months ago, I would've been knocked out and crashed if I didn't have a helmet on. That being said I do ride around with the chin bar up on my modular helmet sometimes, which is dumb.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
You guys wanna hear some stupid poo poo? I come here for well informed and accurate motorcycle information. Thank to this forum I know the more spikes I put on my fairings the cooler I'll be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

thylacine posted:

That being said I do ride around with the chin bar up on my modular helmet sometimes, which is dumb.

Whenever I ride with a CamelBak, it's an elaborate dance at 60 mph. Chinbar up suuuuuuck chinbar down.

• Locked thread