Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ThatCguy posted:

Not to mention this, you've got metal and glass in very close proximity to your eyes, enclosed inside a device that will keep anything that gets broken in close proximity to your eyes. Think about that in a crash situation.

My lenses are polycarbonate, so there.

Also, I'd be more worried about glasses + car airbag than glasses + helmet in a crash situation. At least the helmet is designed to stay away from your face when you faceplant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

After years of glasses I finally got contacts a few weeks after my bike, they make a world of difference. Much larger FOV, no fogging, no glasses arms screwing with my ears, and one less thing to keep track of when taking off gear. Any reason you guys aren't wearing contacts?

Glasses make it slightly less obvious that I'm partially-sighted in my left eye, and my mild astigmatism means that lenses would be insanely expensive (something like £800 a year, IIRC) and only just get me to the legal minimum for driving/riding.

Also I've literally never had a problem with the frames against my ears - crash helmets are designed for that and I take my lid with me when I try on new frames just to be sure.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
Dude, do they not sell Toric lenses in the UK or something? 800 pounds for contacts?

I'm seriously astigmatic (+7 & +8), and my toric contacts are like 42 bucks a box for a 6 month supply.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Okay so away from contact lenses, someone talk to me about this Buell M2 Cyclone Im looking at.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThatCguy posted:

Dude, do they not sell Toric lenses in the UK or something? 800 pounds for contacts?

I'm seriously astigmatic (+7 & +8), and my toric contacts are like 42 bucks a box for a 6 month supply.

That was the quote I got a good few years ago, and I've not really bothered to look that closely since.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay so away from contact lenses, someone talk to me about this Buell M2 Cyclone Im looking at.

It's not the engine to be concerned about, it's everything surrounding it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That was the quote I got a good few years ago, and I've not really bothered to look that closely since.

There are approximately one hojillion more lines of contact lenses for astigmatism now than there were even four years ago. I'm (still a licensed) optician.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Wireframe or rimless glasses are less likely to fog than chunky hipster frames. Also, wearing a balaclava or wrap over your nose and to a lesser extent your mouth will direct your breath upwards and fog up your lenses. I still find myself having to open my visor at stops and cracked a notch at low speeds. It's manageable however.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Safety Dance posted:

My lenses are polycarbonate, so there.

Also, I'd be more worried about glasses + car airbag than glasses + helmet in a crash situation. At least the helmet is designed to stay away from your face when you faceplant.

It's been a few years since I wrote a paper on this subject in college, but unless something new has come out in recent years glasses make gently caress all difference in airbag deployments, and there's some minor evidence to suggest they actually lessen chances of injury to the face and eyes.

This is largely due to having to travel back in time to the 70's to find a pair of glasses that are anything but flexible metal and plastic. There's no brittle steel and heavy glass in modern prescription glasses. Which is why you don't see this anywhere anymore.

A lot of modern glasses don't even have full frames and can be bent in half without snapping or deforming. Returning to their original position and state no worse for wear.

Colbert and I wear the same glasses :smug:

I tried dishsoap and it worked great for anti-fog but the halo effect and glare on every light had me wash it off immediately. My lenses have anti-glare coating on them so this may have reacted worse than most. I'm still looking for a good anti-fog treatment. My visor is fine but my glasses fog like mad. I have some Plexus on order to try next.

Have a dark knight motorcycle suit:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Halo_4am posted:

It's been a few years since I wrote a paper on this subject in college, but unless something new has come out in recent years glasses make gently caress all difference in airbag deployments, and there's some minor evidence to suggest they actually lessen chances of injury to the face and eyes.
Well I'll be. That's neat.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MonkeyNutZ posted:

After years of glasses I finally got contacts a few weeks after my bike, they make a world of difference. Much larger FOV, no fogging, no glasses arms screwing with my ears, and one less thing to keep track of when taking off gear. Any reason you guys aren't wearing contacts?

Astigmatism is in increments of 10, I'm right in the middle of two numbers. Things are blurry as poo poo, and that's not going to change until lenses manufacturers start producing lenses in increments of 5.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Odette posted:

Astigmatism is in increments of 10, I'm right in the middle of two numbers. Things are blurry as poo poo, and that's not going to change until lenses manufacturers start producing lenses in increments of 5.

You know what those increments are, right? Degrees. And I'll tell you this - glasses lenses end up rotating on your face more than +/-5 degrees during your everyday wear, and even before that, 2-4 degrees for up to 2.75D of astigmatic correction is within tolerance during lens manufacture. So, something else was wrong with the contacts, or your doctor lied to you. 5 degrees won't make things "blurry as poo poo" until you get up to quite a large astigmatic correction (one in which you probably wouldn't qualify to drive, even after correction).

Also, saying "astigmatism is in increments of 10" is kind of incorrect, or a very funny way to word one of the three parameters that defines an astigmatic Rx. It's kind of like saying "cars are in increments of cylinders." It doesn't parse, or convey exactly what you're meaning.

Not trying to be snide, but more of a The More You Know moment.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 12, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

You know what those increments are, right? Degrees. And I'll tell you this - glasses lenses end up rotating on your face more than +/-5 degrees during your everyday wear, and even before that, 2-4 degrees for up to 2.75D of astigmatic correction is within tolerance during lens manufacture. So, something else was wrong with the contacts, or your doctor lied to you. 5 degrees won't make things "blurry as poo poo" until you get up to quite a large astigmatic correction (one in which you probably wouldn't qualify to drive, even after correction).

Also, saying "astigmatism is in increments of 10" is kind of incorrect, or a very funny way to word one of the three parameters that defines an astigmatic Rx. It's kind of like saying "cars are in increments of cylinders." It doesn't parse, or convey exactly what you're meaning.

Not trying to be snide, but more of a The More You Know moment.

This is actually one of the most helpful posts I've come across regarding astigmatism. Thanks! I had just woken up, so my posting capabilities wasn't all there. :downs:

By "increments of 10", I was meaning the axis part of the script. I'll probably revisit contact lenses in a couple of years, or whenever my eyesight detoriates.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Same as dish soap?

E.g. this, what you would use at the sink, not what you would use in a dishwasher?

Yep

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

I can hardly believe people willingly poke themselves in the eye every day :aaa:

I can't even give myself eyedrops :ohdear:

I used to be like you. Then I got sick and tired of the pains of glasses and got contacts. The first week or so is bad, but then it gets better.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm just going to live with my glasses until I can afford to have lasers shot into my eyes. :science:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Yipes. I just have driving glasses, which I guess are now riding glasses too. I don't think I wear them enough to try and get into contacts and they don't bother me under the helmet save for the fogging.. And even then it doesn't fog as much as the visor.

I'm trying to breath downwards which makes a difference. And it isn't the end of the world cracking a bit when on low speeds. Eventually I'll be on the freeway and that's where I think it'll be a problem. Maybe. That vent might work better on there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
By the way it's worth checking how your helmet vents are arranged.

I was a bit surprised that my new lid (AGV Skyline) has vents that work in the exact opposite way to what I'm used to. When open, they just send air to my mouth as expected, but when closed they don't actually fully close, but instead deflect the air upwards into the visor, meaning it stays clear as long as you're rolling and also you feel warmer because there's less cold air hitting your face.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

I have keratoconus and when I switch to contacts it will be hard contacts for life. I'm trying to wait as long as I can before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus

edit: Oh yeah and no insurance.

Madonna-boob-eyeball-syndrome. That sucks, I'll probably have to get contacts or glasses soon as my vision seems to be getting worse at a rapid pace.

Also, how can you motorcycle without health insurance, I'd be too scared to ride.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Safety Dance posted:

Also, I'd be more worried about glasses + car airbag than glasses + helmet in a crash situation.

Glasses can still gently caress you up. It took one crash for me in glasses for me to setup an appointment for contacts. In the impact, one of my lens popped out and an earpiece nearly stabbed me in the eye. Wasn't ever taking that risk again, and I didn't have to deal with another layer of clear plastics to clean/defog.

You're also far more likely to deal with a glasses+helmet crash situation than one with airbags.

If you have half-decent insurance it's cheaper than getting a pair of driving/riding glasses. I have astigmatism in one eye and I paid ~$90 for an exam and lenses after insurance. Good riding/driving frames would've started at ~$150 for me after insurance.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 13, 2012

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I can confirm that his glasses were totally hosed up, one of the reasons I don't ride with glasses. I may go the route of contacts too if I can find the time for that stuff.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Even with my cheap vision insurance I think 6 months of contacts costs me like 10 or 20 dollars for a copay. They're really not that much. Hell they even make leave-in ones now if you really hate messing with them every day.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Internet Meme posted:

Glasses can still gently caress you up. It took one crash for me in glasses for me to setup an appointment for contacts. In the impact, one of my lens popped out and an earpiece nearly stabbed me in the eye. Wasn't ever taking that risk again, and I didn't have to deal with another layer of clear plastics to clean/defog.

Halo_4am posted:

Disclaimer on this - my paper only extended to cars/airbags. I haven't a clue about motorcycle accidents and it was a bitch to find reliable recent studies for without airbag, with front airbag, with front and side airbags, etc. This is an area with annually updated crash test results from manufacturers, safety orgs, governments, etc. Supplemented with loads of detailed accident reports from police and insurance companies. Even with all that testing it gets spotty to find good data and studies that focus on things beyond avg height and build people going at avg speeds, and harder still for specifics like wearing eye glasses.

That said... I never thought about it before but it does seem like a bad idea to have a high velocity object pinging around next to your face and eyes. They're fairly lightweight and eyelids which will no doubt be closed as tight as can be are very tough. It would be interesting to read some studies on this, but you might have to settle for something mythbustery.

:edit:
What the hell, speaking of mythbusters I submitted it to them as an idea here: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/show-talk/beyond-duct-tape.htm

Find 'Halo' in the comments and give it a +1, who knows maybe they'll cover it... I got to wondering why they don't do safety myths like seatbelts trapping people in cars etc. It's probably due to the chance of getting one wrong and getting sued. Give the comment a +1 and submit your own safety myth. Maybe they'll think it's a good idea to do an episode on them. They ran out of good ideas a long time ago so who knows.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 13, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wear glasses and don't have a problem with them. They fog a little if I don't pay attention to my breathing or crack my visor when it's 2 degrees and foggy out, but otherwise they're fine. My helmet has a lot of airflow at even slow speed.
I used to have chunky plastic frames, but I got sick of the lack of peripheral vision so I got some thin metal ones that don't block anything so visibility is fine.
I keep some daily contacts around for the odd time I want to wear sunglasses or if I go snowboarding, but I wouldn't want to deal with contacts for more than occasional use. Too much of a pain in the rear end.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Mentioning sunglasses reminded me. Don't all you 'just wear contacts' folk wear sunglasses most the time anyway? I'm almost never without sunglasses in a car or on a bike... tinted visors I guess? +1 for the too lazy to bother switching visors for me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Halo_4am posted:

Mentioning sunglasses reminded me. Don't all you 'just wear contacts' folk wear sunglasses most the time anyway? I'm almost never without sunglasses in a car or on a bike... tinted visors I guess? +1 for the too lazy to bother switching visors for me.

Integrated sunglasses in modular helmets do the trick 99% of the time for me.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Hey, guys.

I've recently discovered that my flywheel is beyond repair (courtesy of my mechanic), and that due to the age of the bike he's going to have difficulty sourcing another one. When my bike's starter motor went, I had no real trouble finding a new one (despite the age of the bike), and I imagine the case is the same with a flywheel.

So my problem here is that I don't know what a flywheel is, what part of the bike it's from, and whether or not I'm likely to need a new one that's precisely the same or whether I can cannibalize one from a similar bike.

Actually finding useful information on motorcycle flywheels is drat near impossible, (most of the google results either come up with flywheel pullers or car flywheels), so if anyone could help me out at all here, I'd really appreciate it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What bike do you ride?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Flywheel is part of the clutch assembly if that helps.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Z3n posted:

What bike do you ride?

I ride an '81 Kawasaki KZ250. I've looked through the parts diagrams on the Kawasaki site, but the part itself doesn't appear to be explicitly named, and identifying a part that I've never seen personally on the diagram is proving difficult.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ashex posted:

Flywheel is part of the clutch assembly if that helps.

Well, not always. On my CL350 the alternator rotor also triples as the flywheel and the starter clutch. The primary drive and main clutch are on the other side of the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/509883-z200-kz200-generator-rotor--flywheel-no-magnets

That's the same rotor, according to the post a ways down. They generally look like that though. I'm assuming it's the 4 stroke twin and not an early model dirtbike :)

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Z3n, firstly, thanks so much for that forum link. I wasn't aware anything like that existed, and I can see myself getting a huge amount of use out of it.

Thanks for telling me that the rotor might double as a flywheel, Sagebrush. I spent the better part of half an hour trying to figure out just where the hell the flywheel was on my bike, and why I wasn't able to order one. When I asked my mechanic about the flywheel he said it 'went in behind the stator', but I saw the rotor, assumed the flywheel had to be somewhere complicated and confusing, and moved on.

Thanks, guys. Time to go hunt down a compatible rotor/flywheel. Without your help I would've probably just floundered for a few hours and given up in a huff, so it's super appreciated.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Madonna-boob-eyeball-syndrome. That sucks, I'll probably have to get contacts or glasses soon as my vision seems to be getting worse at a rapid pace.

Also, how can you motorcycle without health insurance, I'd be too scared to ride.

I have high deductible health insurance for a debilitating accident but nothing for my eyes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

I have high deductible health insurance for a debilitating accident but nothing for my eyes.

Oh, I thought you meant no insurance in general as in health insurance. My baddddd

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

occipitallobe posted:

Z3n, firstly, thanks so much for that forum link. I wasn't aware anything like that existed, and I can see myself getting a huge amount of use out of it.

Thanks for telling me that the rotor might double as a flywheel, Sagebrush. I spent the better part of half an hour trying to figure out just where the hell the flywheel was on my bike, and why I wasn't able to order one. When I asked my mechanic about the flywheel he said it 'went in behind the stator', but I saw the rotor, assumed the flywheel had to be somewhere complicated and confusing, and moved on.

Thanks, guys. Time to go hunt down a compatible rotor/flywheel. Without your help I would've probably just floundered for a few hours and given up in a huff, so it's super appreciated.

No problem...took me about a minute to find that link, so not much time out of my day for a big gain in yours, always worthwhile :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

occipitallobe posted:

These guys are good for the parts fiches if nothing else.

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1981-kz250-d2-csr_model15446/partslist/50923.html#results

Looks like it may be a case of trawling e-bay.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Halo_4am posted:

I wear ballistic eye protection oakley's when I am wearing contacts and riding. What's that US.Army you lost the hand receipt for the M-Frames you issued me? well I guess I never had them :smug:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Will leaving my bikes outside over the winter be bad for them?

In the past, when I had one bike, I tried a couple different options, like driving it a few hundred miles home to my parent's garage or renting garage space in my neighborhood. With two bikes, either of those options are going to be a bit more hassle.

Both bikes have medium-duty covers on them, and they live under a deck. The deck isn't watertight by any means, but they won't get dumped on. It is, however, open on two sides, so they'll likely get drifted snow. I live in DC, where last winter we had no snow and two winters ago we had crazy blizzards. Forecasters say it will be snowy this winter. And the temperature will doubtless drop below freezing.

Besides the covers, I have some tarps lying around and I could go to Home Depot and pick up some plywood or something to make a bit more shelter for them. But I think they'll likely get at least some snow around their wheels. If it is okay to leave them out, is there anything I should do to protect them internally? Normally I just start them up every few days when I'm not riding them regularly. One is on a trickle charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ought ten posted:

Will leaving my bikes outside over the winter be bad for them?

In the past, when I had one bike, I tried a couple different options, like driving it a few hundred miles home to my parent's garage or renting garage space in my neighborhood. With two bikes, either of those options are going to be a bit more hassle.

Both bikes have medium-duty covers on them, and they live under a deck. The deck isn't watertight by any means, but they won't get dumped on. It is, however, open on two sides, so they'll likely get drifted snow. I live in DC, where last winter we had no snow and two winters ago we had crazy blizzards. Forecasters say it will be snowy this winter. And the temperature will doubtless drop below freezing.

Besides the covers, I have some tarps lying around and I could go to Home Depot and pick up some plywood or something to make a bit more shelter for them. But I think they'll likely get at least some snow around their wheels. If it is okay to leave them out, is there anything I should do to protect them internally? Normally I just start them up every few days when I'm not riding them regularly. One is on a trickle charger.
If they were my bikes I'd find a better place to store them. But if it's all you got, it's all you got. I'd try to get some kind of serious cover or tarp over them to keep all the weather out. If there's a place you can park them that isn't on like, dirt, that would be good too. Put some ethanol stabilizer in the tanks.