Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BobLoblaw posted:

I'm building a new gaming PC in the next few weeks. I'll likely be getting a Radeon 7850 or maybe a GTX 660. I'm not super picky when it comes to specs.

I have the possibility to get a refurbished NEC display and was hoping someone could give me some feedback as to whether any of these will get the job done, and be a decent deal:

EX231WP-BK-R 23" $100
PA231W-BK-R 23" $100
AS241W-BK-R 24" $100
PA241W-BK-R 24" $100
NEC displays are really nice, any one of those is worth $100 if they were properly refurbished and have any kind of warranty. I'll take the PA241W :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

NEC displays are really nice, any one of those is worth $100 if they were properly refurbished and have any kind of warranty. I'll take the PA241W :)
No kidding. If you have an opportunity to pick up a PA241W for $100, do it. Even though it's not a great gaming monitor (it'll ghost/lag a little; fine for RPG/RTS/strategy, not as great for FPS), you can take that and flip it on eBay and buy two very nice monitors with the profits (or like 4 mediocre TN's).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I just received an ASUS PB278Q this week, and maybe my old TN monitor was just a turd or LCD tech has come a long way in three years, but everything about this monitor is better. Far better color reproduction (lots of "oh, those are different colors" moments this week), even better responsiveness, etc. I feel close to how my last CRT monitor looked, minus the distortion.

One thing that bugs me, though, is that different sources list this as either IPS or PLS. It isn't important, just weird.

How much of a video card upgrade will I have to make to push games at 2560x1440, though? Currently running a Radeon 6870 with 1GiB and a big overclock, it just can't cut it. Skyrim and Tribes just kill it, 30fps at best.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

EightBit posted:

How much of a video card upgrade will I have to make to push games at 2560x1440, though? Currently running a Radeon 6870 with 1GiB and a big overclock, it just can't cut it. Skyrim and Tribes just kill it, 30fps at best.
A 7870 will do you alright without FSAA. If you want FSAA, though, you're gonna need something in the 7900 series.

e; Also, that monitor of yours is close to being on-par with the Dell U2713HM, in other words "a really good monitor." Your old monitor didn't have to be a turd; pretty much any TN monitor is going to look like a dull piece of poo poo compared to an IPS (or PLS in this case) monitor. And yours is a PLS monitor--I'd think that you might see it listed as IPS in some places because the technology is similar, and almost no one but Samsung is making monitors with it right now.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 12, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evensevenone posted:

No, LCDs aren't like CRTs which blink on and off at a high rate (and for which the lower refresh rates would usually be bothersome to people). The 60Hz or 120Hz just refers to how quickly the pixels can be updated. You probably won't be able to tell the difference unless you have fast motion occurring on both screens simultaneous, and even then it probably won't be annoying or anything, the 120Hz will just look a bit smoother.

The U2410 has a wide-gamut CCFL backlight which gives it a wider color space than the U2412 (which has an LED backlight). This can make it look better, although some people think the colors are too intense. It's probably better to use if you have access to a calibrator, and even then sometimes you'll find a webpage or something that will just be eye-searingly red, because not all applications pay attention to color management stuff. The U2412 has a standard gamut similar to most monitors.

If you have a calibrator and do photo work the U2410 is probably worth it, if you just want a display for normal use I'd go with the 2412. With the LED backlight it's lighter and thinner and uses less power.

I'd say the U2410 is also a good option if you want all the inputs it delivers. You can get it for a relatively good price these days.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

evensevenone posted:

No, LCDs aren't like CRTs which blink on and off at a high rate (and for which the lower refresh rates would usually be bothersome to people). The 60Hz or 120Hz just refers to how quickly the pixels can be updated. You probably won't be able to tell the difference unless you have fast motion occurring on both screens simultaneous, and even then it probably won't be annoying or anything, the 120Hz will just look a bit smoother.

Ah, awesome. That was pretty much the only hangup I still had. Thanks!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naughty McGee posted:

So, is the Ultrasharp U2410 worth picking up over the U2412? I'm looking to get an IPS monitor for general use, and I like the connectivity the U2410 has over the U2412. I've also read that it actually looks better, is this true? It's odd that a lot of IPS monitors have no HDMI input, unless you look at the very pricey models. How are some of the Asus IPS monitors?

Let me ask you some questions:

1) Do you have an unnatural passion for the color red?
2) Seriously, what are your feelings towards eye-searing red? Are they positive?
3) Do you find red car headlights beautiful when out at night?

If you have answered "no" to these, then I have to ask:

4) Are you willing to calibrate your monitor with love and care, knowing it might be time-consuming but at the end you'll get a wonderful result?

If you didn't answer "yes" to any of these questions, then the U2410 might not be for you. I can tell you one thing though, you're gonna see colors you didn't know to exist. Whatever you see as red right now will become gray.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 13, 2012

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

EightBit posted:

I just received an ASUS PB278Q this week, and maybe my old TN monitor was just a turd or LCD tech has come a long way in three years, but everything about this monitor is better.

I've got one as well, it's loving awesome. Better than my old dual U2412M setup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Elentor posted:

3) Do red car headlights beautiful when out at night?

However, the love windshield makes fun integrated circuits.

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I've got one as well, it's loving awesome. Better than my old dual U2412M setup.

ASUS PB278Q is great, it's also quite pricey as well. :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slark posted:

ASUS PB278Q is great, it's also quite pricey as well. :(

It's competing with other 27" 2560x1440 IPS/PLS monitors and is actually at the low end of that category. Some of them go for >$1000.

Naughty McGee
Mar 31, 2010
Okay, I might just go with the U2412. However, does anyone have any experience with the ASUS PA248Q? It looks like a pretty decent monitor.

Edit: How about the HP ZR2440w as well? It looks like another good monitor.

Naughty McGee fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 13, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Naughty McGee posted:

Okay, I might just go with the U2412. However, does anyone have any experience with the ASUS PA248Q? It looks like a pretty decent monitor.

Edit: How about the HP ZR2440w as well? It looks like another good monitor.

The U2412 is top notch, the ZR2440w I believe rated well on TFTCentral also. I have experience with Dell customer service and its always been great "Oh, we'll 2-day the new monitor to you and then just drop off the old one at FedEx" without asking. :swoon:

I've been slacking horribly on Christmas shopping, and want to get my dad one of those Korean 27s. Posters who've gotten one, what's your suggestion for a glossy one for photo editing and stuff? Their study has blinds/easily controllable light, and my parents are not fans at all of the AG coating on my Dells. Non-poo poo stand is a plus.

(yes I am using you guys to do my Christmas research :shobon:)

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

movax posted:

The U2412 is top notch, the ZR2440w I believe rated well on TFTCentral also. I have experience with Dell customer service and its always been great "Oh, we'll 2-day the new monitor to you and then just drop off the old one at FedEx" without asking. :swoon:

I've been slacking horribly on Christmas shopping, and want to get my dad one of those Korean 27s. Posters who've gotten one, what's your suggestion for a glossy one for photo editing and stuff? Their study has blinds/easily controllable light, and my parents are not fans at all of the AG coating on my Dells. Non-poo poo stand is a plus.

(yes I am using you guys to do my Christmas research :shobon:)

Getting a korean monitor as a christmas present for a person who does photo editing is the worst idea I've heard today.

Not only is there an enormous risk of getting a faulty panel, but these monitors aren't the right thing to get for someone who cares about color. They have no adjustments and are not calibrated. Not to mention that a decent percent of the faulty ones exhibit color uniformity issues.

You're talking about a "gift" with a 25% chance of having to be sent back to Korea at a cost of $100+, and even if it isn't faulty it isn't good for color-sensitive work.

Just get him a damned U2410. They were on sale for $400 flat yesterday.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

Getting a korean monitor as a christmas present for a person who does photo editing is the worst idea I've heard today.

Not only is there an enormous risk of getting a faulty panel, but these monitors aren't the right thing to get for someone who cares about color. They have no adjustments and are not calibrated. Not to mention that a decent percent of the faulty ones exhibit color uniformity issues.

You're talking about a "gift" with a 25% chance of having to be sent back to Korea at a cost of $100+, and even if it isn't faulty it isn't good for color-sensitive work.

If he's serious about photography, he has a colorimeter. I've got two of the 27 inchers myself, and they're absolutely perfect, no dead pixels, light bleed, etc-- and I've seen a few others that friends have got in, and the ones that do have issues, mostly have light bleed in the edges, where the GUI from photoshop/lightroom generally is.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

Eh, it's not professional and I already bought him a colorimeter, so I can calibrate. Considering his two monitors right now are a 27" 1080p Samsung and a 24" 1st-gen Gateway LCD from 2006, it's going to be an improvement.

And if it turns out not to be good, it's an excuse for me to get one so v0v

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain

Magic Underwear posted:

Are Korean monitors really that faulty? Although I'm not sure how they are in term of color calibration but almost all my geek mates own a Samsung monitor, and they told me Samsung ones are generally considered having much less dead pixels than other Asian brands.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Slark posted:

Are Korean monitors really that faulty? Although I'm not sure how they are in term of color calibration but almost all my geek mates own a Samsung monitor, and they told me Samsung ones are generally considered having much less dead pixels than other Asian brands.

You can pay a little premium for a display guaranteed to be under a certain number of defective pixels. They're an excellent bang-for-the-buck display.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

movax posted:

You can pay a little premium for a display guaranteed to be under a certain number of defective pixels. They're an excellent bang-for-the-buck display.

You can also try https://www.overlordcomputer.com if you want a 120hz 27" IPS from within the US and with a warranty.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

You can also try https://www.overlordcomputer.com if you want a 120hz 27" IPS from within the US and with a warranty.

If I get a third one, this is probably what I'm going to do-- and use it to try to game with/on.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Ghostpilot posted:

Do overlords' models use PWM for dimming? The X270SE seems like a crazy deal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That's probably why it's out of stock. Though the SE is only a 60Hz model, so keep that in mind.

As for the Korean 27" monitors, this is my wife's take (pro photographer): They're nice for the price, and it's great to have all the space to work with, but the color accuracy (even calibrated) just isn't as good as it is on something like a Dell Ultrasharp. It'd probably be fine for people who aren't enormously concerned with accuracy, or who are doing things mostly for web use, where the Korean monitor's colors are at least as good as your average web-user's monitor. But for print use, it's probably worth the extra cash to get an actual professional monitor.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 14, 2012

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Wow, those overlord monitors seem like an awesome deal. Has anyone here bought them and seen what the quality is like? Those prices are pretty comparable to the korean ones I was looking at and significantly cheaper than the Dell monitor even with the dell goons discount.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I paid $400 for a perfect-pixel catleap from dream-seller monday night. By the time I woke up on tuesday I had a fedex tracking number, and it arrived today. The stand is a little goofy but otherwise I couldn't be happier with it- 0 dead pixels, 0 stuck pixels, no backlight bleed to speak of.

As for the overlord displays, if you're set on 120Hz I guess your choices are reduced a bit, but check the warranty- it only lasts a year, and their grade A panels are only guaranteed to have less than 3/3/5 bright/stuck/dead pixels which is worse than any pixel-perfect guarantee you'll find on ebay from the usual sellers. The A- panels' pixel guarantee is as bad as what you'll find for well under $400 on ebay. As long as it works when it comes out of the box your chances of actually needing the warranty inside of a year are pretty slim anyway, and if you're really concerned one or another of the ebay sellers does guarantee to pay the return shipping if your monitor arrives DoA or with more dead/stuck pixels than advertised.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 15, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
After 16 years of devoted service in a middle school and my house, my Sony Trinitron Multiscan 20sfII has finally died, and I can justify buying a new monitor that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds.

Is there any news about the Monoprice IPS monitor I heard about a while back?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

gggiiimmmppp posted:

and if you're really concerned one or another of the ebay sellers does guarantee to pay the return shipping if your monitor arrives DoA or with more dead/stuck pixels than advertised.
This is the opposite of what I've heard and needing to send them back is extremely costly and takes a long time.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

gggiiimmmppp posted:

As for the overlord displays, if you're set on 120Hz I guess your choices are reduced a bit, but check the warranty- it only lasts a year, and their grade A panels are only guaranteed to have less than 3/3/5 bright/stuck/dead pixels which is worse than any pixel-perfect guarantee you'll find on ebay from the usual sellers.
Sorta. First, they state that 70% or more of their A panels are "pixel perfect" anyhow, so there's a good chance you'd get a fine one to start with. Additionally, virtually all of the Korean sellers do not consider a dead pixel to be defective (even for pixel-perfect), and while they will generally offer to replace a DOA monitor for free, I don't know of any that will offer that for one sold as pixel-perfect that turns out to have defects. Rather, they'll either offer to swap monitors if you pay for shipping both ways, or they'll offer to refund you something on the order of $5-$10/pixel.

My suspicion is you probably end up with about the same chance to get a no kidding perfect panel either way.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

This is the opposite of what I've heard and needing to send them back is extremely costly and takes a long time.

If they make you pay for it, yes, it's expensive. This seller at the least will pay for return shipping if it's not as described: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Monitors-Projectors-Accs-/162497/i.html?_ssn=bigclothcraft
There may be others that do the same.

It's a bit of a gamble for sure, but your odds of getting hosed with one of the popular ebay sellers and one of the better known brands can be a little overstated. And at the end of the day, if your perfect pixel display turns out to have 3 dead pixels out of 3.68 million, you'll have to go out of your spergin' way to be annoyed by them in an ongoing way without looking at dead pixel test screens all day long. It just comes down to how many dead pixels you're willing to risk for the savings compared to a proper American retail version of the same panel with no pixel shenanigans and a proper warranty. If money wasn't an issue we wouldn't be buying any of the monitors in question.

Those overlord displays aren't a bad deal, given the peace of mind of knowing that you can return it without having to pay for shipping, but you can't get a better pixel guarantee out of them than 3/5/5 in the first place. The ebay sellers seem to be able to deliver perfect-pixel displays most of the time, but if the seller isn't paying the return shipping you're likely going to wind up keeping whatever you receive unless the dead pixels are really eggregious. IF that happened to you you wouldn't leave him good feedback, though, and if that happened a lot they'd have mountains of bad feedback. The worst case scenario is much worse with the koreans however, and overlord avoids that.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 15, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

gggiiimmmppp posted:

It's a bit of a gamble for sure, but your odds of getting hosed with one of the popular ebay sellers and one of the better known brands can be a little overstated. And at the end of the day, if your perfect pixel display turns out to have 3 dead pixels out of 3.68 million, you'll have to go out of your spergin' way to be annoyed by them in an ongoing way without looking at dead pixel test screens all day long.
I've got one stuck green pixel on one of my work monitors (so out of 4 million pixels) and it drives me nuts. It's the kind of thing that your eye is just drawn to. Fortunately, the pixel spends most of the time being white so I don't see it, but if that pixel is supposed to be displaying anything without 100% green then it's immediately visible. If I had that on a monitor that I'd paid decent money for I'd be pretty unhappy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Just want to again mention that dream-seller is a scammer and you should NOT risk doing business with them. No loving clue why they're still in the OP.

It worked out well for me because I got a monitor for free after eBay laid the smack down on them, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else hope for that outcome.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Just want to again mention that dream-seller is a scammer and you should NOT risk doing business with them. No loving clue why they're still in the OP.

It worked out well for me because I got a monitor for free after eBay laid the smack down on them, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else hope for that outcome.

What? I just bought a perfect monitor from them like two weeks ago and it came on the third day. In what way did they try to scam you?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sent me a monitor with two dead pixels when they claim to inspect them to have zero dead/stuck pixels, so they obviously never actually inspected it. They pack in a letter with every single shipment saying there were problems with your monitor but we returned it for you and got you a good one, obvious bullshit. I messaged them politely for like a month, they tried to give me a runaround until I couldn't dispute it anymore on ebay.

I opened a case on ebay, they offered me a $50 refund which was bullshit because their prices are higher than the competition and the only reason to go with them in the first place is their superior pixel perfect guarantee. I didn't see a better option at the best time so I accepted it. Then they told me I had to give them positive feedback to get it.

I told them to gently caress off, they tried to poison pill me by refunding me (which would mean I'd have to pay ~$380 in return shipping), I told them to suck a dick and reported them to ebay for bribery, ebay poo poo on them and I kept the money and the monitor.

tldr : they don't inspect their "perfect" monitors at all, you're paying $50 for absolutely nothing, and if you complain about it they will either do nothing or try to gently caress you on return shipping.

Brayden
Jul 14, 2012
For the last few weeks I've been trying to decide what IPS monitor to get that is less than $300, is 1920x1080 or greater and presumably as close in size as possible to my 2x 24" monitors. For a while I was thinking of getting an LG IPS231P-BN which is $199 AUD.

I found this thread and went through the first few posts and found the perfect replacement! The Dell UltraSharp U2312HM is $269 but I found a 15% off coupon code and it takes display port so I don't need an active display port adapter. I do need an adapter to change mini display port to display port since that's what this AMD card has but they're not nearly as expensive.

The total is $253.92 which includes shipping, whereas for the LG one it'd be $244 ($199 for monitor and $45 for active display port adapter) and I'd have to go to a brick and mortar store to get it.

Pretty good deal I reckon! The coupon code persists until 31st of January too so I have plenty of time.

Thanks to the person who made the original post for helping me get some extra value out of my money!

(Edit: found a 15% off coupon that applies to cables and monitors)

Brayden fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 15, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

K8.0 posted:

Sent me a monitor with two dead pixels when they claim to inspect them to have zero dead/stuck pixels, so they obviously never actually inspected it. They pack in a letter with every single shipment saying there were problems with your monitor but we returned it for you and got you a good one, obvious bullshit. I messaged them politely for like a month, they tried to give me a runaround until I couldn't dispute it anymore on ebay.

I opened a case on ebay, they offered me a $50 refund which was bullshit because their prices are higher than the competition and the only reason to go with them in the first place is their superior pixel perfect guarantee. I didn't see a better option at the best time so I accepted it. Then they told me I had to give them positive feedback to get it.

I told them to gently caress off, they tried to poison pill me by refunding me (which would mean I'd have to pay ~$380 in return shipping), I told them to suck a dick and reported them to ebay for bribery, ebay poo poo on them and I kept the money and the monitor.

tldr : they don't inspect their "perfect" monitors at all, you're paying $50 for absolutely nothing, and if you complain about it they will either do nothing or try to gently caress you on return shipping.

You bought a cheap monitor you knew was going to be a risk anyway (with returns and so on) for cheap, with shipping included (you should said yourself how much shipping would cost you!) with only two dead pixels, and you're moaning?

Not only that, you've kept the monitor and the money. What did you expect them to do? Ship another monitor (again, you said how much that would cost you!) Somehow, I'm finding it hard to see the problem here - you sound like the bad guy in this situation. Two dead pixels on a 27" monitor isn't a massive deal - and they even refunded the $50.

(Note, I haven't got one of these monitors, and have never dealt with this seller)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 15, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

K8.0 posted:

You know the dream-seller perfect pixel auctions have some form of this right at the top:

...so I think that makes you the rear end in a top hat. PRetty much every perfect-pixel display by every seller that I've looked at recently disclaims a small number of dead (not stuck) pixels as being within the manufacturer's specifications. Unless that's a new development v:shobon:v. He made no attempt to coerce me into giving positive feedback, aside from sending me a perfect display fast with no bullshit (which was quite effective).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 15, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

At the time that wasn't in their listings and they listed them all over their store as "ZERO Dead/Stuck pixel" and that they inspected/tested every pixel perfect monitor before shipping them. Single pixels don't die in shipping, it was obviously a lie that they were inspecting anything, at least at the time. Also like I said they packed in the exact same bullshit letter with every shipment (again, this may have changed since they got smacked by ebay).

They did say their could be backlight bleeding or other defects. The backlight is fine, but the monitor has a slight streak which I never complained about because that's not one of the things they warrantied.

If I didn't go with a seller who charged $40+ more for the same monitor than the competition but guaranteed "ZERO Dead/Stuck pixel" I wouldn't have complained to them, but they did and they obviously lied so gently caress them.

edit for actual customer service story :

When I complained (VERY politely), they acted like they would be all helpful but gave me ludicrous runarounds. First they said that the only guy who spoke english was in the hospital - bullshit because the guy who wrote me back clearly understood english well enough to understand my problem and write a coherent response specific to me, but in this and every subsequent message they reassured me that they intended on taking care of this for me, and I decided to be the nice guy and not actually use ebay's complaint system until it became obvious they were out to screw me.

Then they said they wanted pictures, so fine, I took a few days to borrow the best camera I could and got them some pictures. They sent me a somewhat unclear message about not being able to see the pictures, I reuploaded them and also said that they were the best pictures I could realistically take. I'd taken them in a dark room and cherry picked the highest quality ones that best showed individual pixels out of many that I took.

Somewhere around this point they again came up with an excuse about how nobody who could speak english was going to be around for the better part of a week.

They waited a week, then said they understood those were the best pictures I could get and would talk to their boss, waited a week, then complained that they needed better pictures to verify what was going on. I told them I don't have and am not about to buy a DSLR and macro lens so I can take a perfect picture of something less than 1/100th of an inch across.

I waited ANOTHER week, at this point I was certain that they were dicking me around so I filed a complaint on ebay, and that's when they offered me a partial refund. I waited a few days to think about it, said that sucks but I think it's the best I can hope for so I accept. That's when they came back with bullshit about their policy requiring positive feedback for a refund (which is against ebay's TOS). I figured that had to be against ebay policy but I couldn't find anything quickly and I was busy working at the time so I again waited a couple days working over my options. A few days later I decided to escalate the case to ebay because I was afraid that I was running out of time to do anything. While before it always took them at least a day to respond, they INSTANTLY responded to this with a full refund (which automatically closes the case.)

A few hours after that I found ebay's rules on bribery, realized that they had done was specifically banned, and reported them. Ebay instantly gave me a number to call and a token, I called them, explained the situation, they looked at the messages, said it was a clear violation of their policy and escalated it to a team and told me to not have any further contact with the seller unless specifically directed to by ebay. At this point I've waited a few months, haven't heard anything from ebay and have no way of contacting them, and I'm well outside the 90 day buyer/seller contact period so I figure I'm finally OK.

They were very blatantly trying to drag things out past ebay's 90 day contact period. They are loving scumbag scammers and nobody should be doing business with them.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I actually did get the letter but I didn't find it offensive even though the delay he was apologizing for never actually happened. I can see how that would be upsetting though if he'd sent me a display that clearly wasn't perfect.

In any case, I'd still pay that $40 if I did it all over again, just because otherwise the target looks more like this:

And I'd hate to wind up 2 pixels on the far side of that.

I think the moral of the story though is that if you can't live with some dead/stuck pixels, you need to save your money and buy from Dell or something. I went into this expecting to deal with it if I ended up with a display that wasn't quite as perfect as advertised (and take a refund of the difference, of course).

Also, did you try massaging the pixels? Apparently that's actually a thing that works and often fixes them permanently.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 15, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I did try massaging the pixels, no dice unfortunately. I got used to them pretty quickly, pixels are very tiny on a monitor with this density and I never notice them unless I'm looking for them. If I'd paid the $75 less that other sellers were asking for this specific model with no guarantee or even the $40 less for the same monitor with the sort of guarantee you're talking about there I'd have been mildly disappointed in my luck but obviously that would have been the risk I'd taken.

Also, check my last post for the update on my back and forth with them.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 15, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

All of these suppliers are certainly playing fast and loose with ebay's policies to some degree. Technically it's a violation of ebay policy to list any item that you don't have in hand and ready to ship, but everyone involved seems to dig through the pile looking for the various pixel defect levels as the orders come in; some even say that perfect-pixel displays will take longer to ship, because they have to find them in the pile first. Apparently refunding the difference for not-quite-perfect perfect-pixel displays and soliciting positive feedback are par for the course and these are all violations which can be used as leverage through ebay's dispute resolution, as long as you keep your communication inside of ebay (don't let them get you on the phone, etc).

In your case, it worked out to a free display. That's the best warranty you're going to find at this price point :confuoot:. Ebay/paypal have always been all about buyer protection, sellers be damned. The right kind of jerk could probably manage to scam a seller out of a perfect display just based on how they operate.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

So do all these Korean 27" panels use PWM on their LED backlighting? I'm hoping not, because the U2412m really bugged me and I couldn't look past it.