Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pokeyman posted:

Figured this one out, fixing it for 1.9.1. For now, here's a workaround:

Workaround works for me. One question - I find myself hitting what I guess is "parent forum" rather than just the "back to list of bookmarked threads" and doing a refresh of my bookmarks a lot more than I want - is there something I can do to minimize the chances of the refresh (iphone 4S)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ummm scroll down a little to hide the menu? What device are you talking about?

Between iPhone 4, 5, iPad, and iPad mini it's a little tricky nailing placement/sizing on first try. Like I don't think a single tester has an iPad mini, thankfully I'll have one in like 2 weeks and I can see if this is a good experience or not on it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

TACD posted:

Were we still going to get a toggle to make the sidebar always present in landscape view on the iPad? I guess there were only a few of us but it still seems like the screen is just a bit too wide to read comfortably in this orientation. Would love it if this was possible :)

I would like this too. Way easier to quickly read a bunch of bookmarked threads when the panel is always open.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I love just about everything in the past two updates. I did just update to the most recent version though, and loading at unread posts only works sporadically at best. Most of the time it says it's loading unread posts and then just loads the first post on the last page I read.

It's a great app though, just wondering if I'm the only one with the bug :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tenterhooks posted:

Really nice update. Is there a way to always show the sidebar in landscape mode on the iPad? I'm sure I read it was coming back but can't find a setting for it. Totally minor niggle - love everything else.

It's on the list, but I'm not sure when it'll happen. I hate messing with the split view.

Oceanbound posted:

Getting a frequent problem where bookmarks, forums and favourites all turn blank. I can access the Awful thread through settings though.

ChetReckless posted:

I've been getting this as well. Fully closing and re-opening the app gets it back on track, but it happened at least a half dozen times in an hour or two.

When you say "blank", can you still pull to refresh the bookmarks? Is there an edit/done button on favorites?

Does it happen when you first launch the app? Or does it start happening later?

Are you using an iPhone or an iPad?

Adregan posted:

So every time I open a bookmarked thread or another thread I have been reading it doesn't go straight to the last post of the thread where I left off. I have to mark it as read up to that point now. So if there are new reply's it doesn't jump to them if I forget to mark as read up to that point. It just goes to the top of the page. Is this something that was changed?

Yeah that's a bug, there's a workaround earlier in the thread.

10 Beers posted:

Just updated to 1.9, and it looks great! My only issue is that image uploading isn't working for me, and it was one of my favorite parts of the app. Whenever I try to upload an image I get popup box that says "Image Uploading Failed. An unknown error occured (error code - 1)"

Any ideas? I really, really love the image upload feature.

How big is the image? We don't handle resizing the image (and we should), so e.g. pictures taken with an iPhone 5 tend to be too big. We also need to fix the error reporting here.

jojoinnit posted:

As part of my job I move between floors and parts of our building all day, so I'm constantly dropping wifi when moving between access points, so knowing if its saved my place or not is really important.

It will show an error message if it fails. For now, you can check the network indicator spinner at the top left of the screen in the status bar. If it disappears and you don't get an error, you're all set.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

It's a great app though, just wondering if I'm the only one with the bug :)

Just you and the ten other people who have posted the same bug. ;)

Pokeyman's already implemented a fix for the next update and there's a workaround posted at the top of the last page.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If I haven't commented directly on your bug report/feature request don't worry, it's all on the list and I'll get in touch if I need more to go on.

I'll fix as much as I can in the next couple days, then I'm going to submit 1.9.1 and hopefully it'll make it into the store before the Christmas holiday (the review team takes a week off). Unfortunately that's a pretty tight deadline so if your bug doesn't make it in, I'm sorry!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

pokeyman posted:

When you say "blank", can you still pull to refresh the bookmarks? Is there an edit/done button on favorites?

Does it happen when you first launch the app? Or does it start happening later?

Are you using an iPhone or an iPad?

You can still pull to refresh, but it doesn't seem to do anything -- the screen is still blank. The menu at the bottom remains and you can pick among the options (settings, bookmarks, etc.), but outside of the settings screen the other screens are blank -- just white space. I can get a bit more specific when I replicate it (I'm not in wifi range right now). I'm using a fourth generation iPod. It just seems to happen randomly. It doesn't happen right away, but will usually happen within about 20-30 minutes of opening the app.

For what its worth, its the only real problem I'm having. Everything else works and looks great.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Diabolik900 posted:

Pokeyman's already implemented a fix for the next update and there's a workaround posted at the top of the last page.

Ya thanks for the workaround you posted.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

You can still pull to refresh, but it doesn't seem to do anything -- the screen is still blank. The menu at the bottom remains and you can pick among the options (settings, bookmarks, etc.), but outside of the settings screen the other screens are blank -- just white space. I can get a bit more specific when I replicate it (I'm not in wifi range right now). I'm using a fourth generation iPod. It just seems to happen randomly. It doesn't happen right away, but will usually happen within about 20-30 minutes of opening the app.

For what its worth, its the only real problem I'm having. Everything else works and looks great.

Which iOS version are you using?

Does it disappear while you're looking at it? Or is it there one time, you go into a thread, hit the back button, and now everything's gone?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Diabolik900 posted:

Oh woops! I didn't realize there was still like two pages I hadn't looked like and thought I had skimmed through to the end. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

pokeyman posted:

Which iOS version are you using?

Does it disappear while you're looking at it? Or is it there one time, you go into a thread, hit the back button, and now everything's gone?

I'm on 5.1.1 -- I am going to stop being lazy and finally update to 6 tonight and see if that helps.

It disappears when you are going back to the bookmark menu from a thread, using the button in the upper left.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

pokeyman posted:

1.9 is out! Should be available in the next few hours.

Just to make sure I understand (anyone who's experienced this bug can chime in):

1. You're at the end of a thread (it says "end of the thread"). The next page button is greyed out and doesn't do anything.
2. You pull up to refresh (and it said "pull up to refresh").
3. The refresh completes (the "refreshing..." spinner stops and disappears). Some new posts appear. The old posts turn blue, marking them as read. The next page button is no longer greyed out. "End of the thread" is no longer shown after the last visible post.
4. You tap the next page button. The new posts from the last refresh turn blue, marking them as read. You're still on the same page.
5. You tap the next page button a second time. The next page loads.

Is that right?

(I know that's a lot of detail, it's ok if you don't remember all of this.)

From a few pages back, but this exactly.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I had identical symptoms to ChatReckless' pretty much, using an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1. I've just updated to 6, and haven't seen it happen again yet (but haven't used the app much since either)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

syndex posted:

From a few pages back, but this exactly.

Excellent! Just fixed it.

Oceanbound posted:

I had identical symptoms to ChatReckless' pretty much, using an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1. I've just updated to 6, and haven't seen it happen again yet (but haven't used the app much since either)

Good to know, thanks. I'm thinking it's an iOS 5 thing, I'll test it out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Navigating to a link thread is still kinda broken. The select page shows only the first. I found a work around by going to the last past and magically all the rest show up.

Can you point me to the link you followed that broke?

Is it still broken if you follow it a second time?

e: Did the link take you to the first page? If so, I've fixed that bug.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

I'm getting a persistent hard crash when I click on a spoilered quote in TVIV (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377206&pagenumber=661#post410451277). The first time clicking on it shifted the thread to the left so all the text was crammed in the sidebar before crashing; the second time it just crashed. I'm on an iPad 3 running the latest iOS and version 1.9.

I think this turned out to be a problem with links to posts on iOS 5. (At least, your post led me to find and fix that problem.) Can you double-check for me what version of iOS you're on? It's in the Settings app, under General -> About.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Great app. Are you ever going to bring back the "pinch to hide the top and bottom navigation bars" or is that gone for good?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I submitted feedback saying the pull to go to the next page distance was too far too (and was apparently way late in joining the conversation) BUT the arrows at the bottom left do the same thing (although if you're just refreshing I guess you still have to pull) so it's not that big of a deal to me. I understand why it's as long as it is though, especially with all the different sized devices there are now

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Rashomon posted:

Great app. Are you ever going to bring back the "pinch to hide the top and bottom navigation bars" or is that gone for good?

It's on the list!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

I submitted feedback saying the pull to go to the next page distance was too far too (and was apparently way late in joining the conversation) BUT the arrows at the bottom left do the same thing (although if you're just refreshing I guess you still have to pull) so it's not that big of a deal to me. I understand why it's as long as it is though, especially with all the different sized devices there are now

I think there's a good way to handle it without special-casing each device and orientation, I just need to find it.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Instant crash if I try highlighting two spoilers at the same time. Using dark theme if that matters.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Can you link me to the post/page?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Was reading the dark knight rises thread. I switched to light and couldn't replicate it. Switched back to dark and no crashes. I had it crash twice though, both the instant I highlighted a second block of spoiled text in the same post.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's probably not a dark/light theme thing then.

iPhone or iPad? iOS 5 or iOS 6?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Persistent crashing when I try and enter...this thread, ironically. Also when I try and enter the "Inspect Your Gadgets" forum. iOS 6.0.1, iPad Mini. Console output if that helps.

e: Oddly, I can get into the iPad thread in IYG just fine via my bookmarks, but jumping to the parent forum from inside the thread also causes the crash.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 13, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

So glad theres a scroll to bottom feature now.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have the usenet thread from serious hardware and software in my bookmarks. When there's new post I check the thread when I go back to bookmarks the post count doesn't update to zero. It has only happened with that particular thread. I am on an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1. So far only bug I have noticed. Thanks again.

Jelleh
Jun 6, 2009
Having trouble with fyad posts at the moment; all posts in a thread display in a random order. Other forums seem fine.

Fyad threads are fine on my desktop browser (firefox)

I'm on jailbroken IOS 5.11 and using an ipod touch 4g, Awful 1.9

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

pokeyman posted:

How big is the image? We don't handle resizing the image (and we should), so e.g. pictures taken with an iPhone 5 tend to be too big. We also need to fix the error reporting here.

I am taking pictures with an iPhone 5. But before the upgrade taking pictures and uploading worked just fine.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I think this turned out to be a problem with links to posts on iOS 5. (At least, your post led me to find and fix that problem.) Can you double-check for me what version of iOS you're on? It's in the Settings app, under General -> About.

I'm on iOS 6.0.1, sorry! I can post a console output if that's possible to do without a jailbreak.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 13, 2012

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thank you to whomever did it for the YOSPOS enhancement.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

1.9 bug report: when I tap to try to get to the "format" pop-up menu, it will only work if the view isn't scrolled down. Meaning if I have a bunch of words already written, tapping format will make the view scroll to the top for a second, then scroll back down and the format menu won't appear. It works fine as long as I'm not scrolled. Once the scrollbar has appeared (and I'm scrolled down! It will still work at the top of the reply box) it won't work. Fake edit: actually that doesn't seem to be the case 100% of the time, I just got the format menu while scrolled down. But most of the time it's the case

Just fixed this. Thanks for the thorough bug report!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Can you point me to the link you followed that broke?

Is it still broken if you follow it a second time?

e: Did the link take you to the first page? If so, I've fixed that bug.

Yea it works if you load it a second time and it was a link to the first page. Good to hear that one is squashed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

1.9 bug report: when I tap to try to get to the "format" pop-up menu, it will only work if the view isn't scrolled down. Meaning if I have a bunch of words already written, tapping format will make the view scroll to the top for a second, then scroll back down and the format menu won't appear. It works fine as long as I'm not scrolled. Once the scrollbar has appeared (and I'm scrolled down! It will still work at the top of the reply box) it won't work. Fake edit: actually that doesn't seem to be the case 100% of the time, I just got the format menu while scrolled down. But most of the time it's the case

pokeyman posted:

Just fixed this. Thanks for the thorough bug report!

Awesome. This has bugged me, but I could never figure out how to reproduce it before.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

I'm on iOS 6.0.1, sorry! I can post a console output if that's possible to do without a jailbreak.

I think I figured it out, but fire away with the console anyway. You can use something like System Console.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

Persistent crashing when I try and enter...this thread, ironically. Also when I try and enter the "Inspect Your Gadgets" forum. iOS 6.0.1, iPad Mini. Console output if that helps.

e: Oddly, I can get into the iPad thread in IYG just fine via my bookmarks, but jumping to the parent forum from inside the thread also causes the crash.

Console output does help, thanks. So you get the crash when you:

• Tap the "Parent Forum" button from the IYG iPad thread.
  • Tap IYG from the Forums tab.

and the console says the same thing each time? (Does the console image you posted show one of each crash?)

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

pokeyman posted:

It's probably not a dark/light theme thing then.

iPhone or iPad? iOS 5 or iOS 6?

Ipad 3 iOS6 :) Havn't been able to replicate so maybe my Ipad was being retarded.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Nah I'm sure I hosed something up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I was able to make a post with the new Awful app.

But I had to uninstall and reinstall it first.

• Locked thread