Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

initially, I did Not LIKEEEE IIIITTTT, but once they all got in the groove it ended up being pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
First I find Dimitri Martin a tad boring, then Scott's demands that Orson Welles contextualize himself really held up the bit, and to close, a character satirizing poo poo comedians. When she got into her stand up though, that was pretty funny though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Here's the commercial recording that the Orsen Welles character was based on, in case someone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

"In the depths of your ignorance, what is it you want?"

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Pamela Murphy's character singlehandedly ruined that episode. That was horrible. Literally the exact same joke over and over. The others were trying to salvage it and add some humor to it but it was still pretty bad.

How many 'bad comedian' characters have they had now? Ike Barinholtz was just a few weeks ago and I remember another one from a while ago.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Adomian's character was totally one-note, too. Was not at all expecting Demetri Martin to be my favorite part going in.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
When they went to the plug bag song I thought "what, really? They didn't do anything funny yet..." but everyone's allowed to turn in an absolute clunker every now and then. I still love Scott and James to bits.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

bowser posted:

Pamela Murphy's character singlehandedly ruined that episode. That was horrible. Literally the exact same joke over and over. The others were trying to salvage it and add some humor to it but it was still pretty bad.

How many 'bad comedian' characters have they had now? Ike Barinholtz was just a few weeks ago and I remember another one from a while ago.

Besides the fact that "too-specific observation humor" is pretty cliche by this the year of our lord 2012. She made me laugh when she asked Demitri for a ride home to New Jersey, and James got me with the electric chair ad, but otherwise it was not very good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

If James had been Huell or Jesse this could have been amazing. I think where they really suffered was having a first timer with a tired gimmick and James trying a new character as well. Like I said before, even bad characters can serve the show if paired with a great character since the topics will change because of the other characters schtik.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Honestly, Demetri's and Scott's dumb banter made the episode good enough for me. The characters weren't that great, but I don't think they were awful enough to ruin the episode in its entirety.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I thought adomian's Orson Welles was hysterical, Pamela's character kept bringing things to a screeching halt though. I think it would have been a great episode with just Dimitri and James.

I prefer Magnum PIE.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Scott Aukerman posted:

Currently making a trip down to Marina Del Rey to record a special show...

:neckbeard:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I saw this -- does it refer to some event in Marina Del Rey I'm supposed to know about?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Probably something to do with the Wompler? Anyway that's the only thing I know about Marina Del Rey.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

WoG posted:

I saw this -- does it refer to some event in Marina Del Rey I'm supposed to know about?

It's time to WOMP IT UP at www.wompupthejaaaaamzz.net

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

WoG posted:

I just assumed that he was talking about the Wompler.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Scott should watch his back though. I'd love it if the whole thing just turned into a cape fear situation between him and Listler.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I just finished the second 600-page volume of Orson Welles' biography, so it felt like this episode was made for me. Has Adomian never done this character before?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

bobservo posted:

I just finished the second 600-page volume of Orson Welles' biography, so it felt like this episode was made for me. Has Adomian never done this character before?

Adomian was hilarious, though the Orson character didn't need a lot of polish. The trail for this impression was pretty well blazed by Maurice LeMarche (Brain of Pinky & the Brain), whom Adomian undoubtedly listened to growing up. But he probably based it on someone earlier, down to Welles' commercials which stand on their own.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0a8c6058cb/more-drunk-orson-welles-commercial-outtakes-from-themidnightshow-and-jamesadomian

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Analytic Engine posted:

But he probably based it on someone earlier...

My bet is Orson Wells.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 12, 2012

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

My bet is Orson Wells.

Analytic Engine posted:

down to Welles' commercials which stand on their own.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Analytic Engine posted:

Adomian was hilarious, though the Orson character didn't need a lot of polish. The trail for this impression was pretty well blazed by Maurice LeMarche (Brain of Pinky & the Brain), whom Adomian undoubtedly listened to growing up. But he probably based it on someone earlier, down to Welles' commercials which stand on their own.

Adomian's Orson reminded me a lot of Maurice LeMarche's bits on The Critic where he did his Orson impression, so I had a lot of appreciation for this episode even if Pamela's character kept breaking the flow.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jessica_StClair/status/277304826839310336

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Apparently Gutterballs and Marissa's stepfather Seth will also be there. Who will portray them??? My hopes are impossibly high.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Apparently Gutterballs and Marissa's stepfather Seth will also be there. Who will portray them??? My hopes are impossibly high.

Jesus loving christ! Don't tease me like this, boy.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That photo was taken by Brian Huskey sooo

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Holy poo poo, can't be more excited for this.

Also :laffo: at the Jon Daly Tweets. Grip it aaaaaaand rip iiiit!

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Huskey's got to be Seth, right? Now all we're missing is Gutterballs.

CBB Holiday episodes are consistently the best episodes, can't wait.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
And the best-ofs which follow are usually pretty amazing, too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Tangentially related, but what was the name of the guy with the coats who was also in Listler's class?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Rodney. I totally didn't listen to the first 20 minutes of that episode to answer. No sir.

EDIT: I worry about you... at night.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 12, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

plastered quack posted:

Huskey's got to be Seth, right? Now all we're missing is Gutterballs.

I would prefer Seth Morris as Seth but Brian Huskey's a pretty drat good choice too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nathan Rabin had an interview with Scott to talk about his favorite episodes up today here.

He went with Farts & Procreation, Mayor of Hollywood, and Time Bobbies which are all great picks, and episodes I've listened to multiple times.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
His second answer really hits on the perfect attitude for guests to have. Those guests who start out overly sincere or lucid are always the ones who don't quite reach the heights that the great guests do. It's fine when they're playing the straight man, but sometimes they're comedic actors and it's awkward.

edit: who are the unfunny people who apparently hate on the funniest, least conventional episodes of CBB?

haha http://sarapocock.tumblr.com/post/28679544946/heres-the-final-animation-for-andrew-lloyd-webber

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 13, 2012

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Nathan Rabin had an interview with Scott to talk about his favorite episodes up today here.

He went with Farts & Procreation, Mayor of Hollywood, and Time Bobbies which are all great picks, and episodes I've listened to multiple times.

I love reading stuff like this. I was disappointed when Scott stopped writing those 'how the bread is made' articles on the Earwolf website.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Has James Adomian ever done his Richard Branson on CBB, or is that just on Sklarboro Country?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

UP AND ADAM posted:

edit: who are the unfunny people who apparently hate on the funniest, least conventional episodes of CBB?

This dude.

From the Earwolf site:
"The episode started very poorly and dipped lower shortly after. Then Harris and Adam made it better as their characters, then the whole thing took a horrifying nosedive as Chelsea Peretti started "acting".

I don't care how tired you all are or how hot it is; poo poo is still poo poo. Why is this episode poo poo?

1. Characters are best when they are held through the whole bit. Andy Daily never says "And now I'll stop being Don Dimelo and just be me" He commits to the role and stays in character until the bit is done, then the Don Dimelo leaves and Andy re-enters the studio. Fading in and out of characters is lousy acting and very irritating.

2. Finding yourselves so terribly amusing is really off-putting. If something is genuinely funny then laugh, but being all giddy and finding that everything you say gives you the giggles and is hilarious is annoying and sounds like a pack of teenagers doing a podcast.

3. Where the hell are the games?

In summary, four people who can't hold a character sit in a studio and make each other laugh and we get to listen to it; good work everyone. This episode was so bothersome I signed up just to voice my distaste.

I'm not giving up on the show yet but episodes like have been produced lately really make me miss the Pod F Tompkast.

Feel free to take this post as an honest (if acerbic) critique of the show, or simply discount it as the ranting of some rear end in a top hat on the internet, I really don't care I just had to have my say because the show has been much better and I hope it will be again."

The author of the review on SA:

Indolent Bastard posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Because I jump around and stacking that episode up against Bill Cosby Bukowski, the new episode is garbage. Also it was just bad.

My first post (edit: see above) was met with posts calling me a retard and having no sense of humor. I attempted a well thought out rebuttal, which was removed. After that I appologised to the admins for not being a big enough suck up to have my messages stay up, and I got banned.

No I am not an idiot, I realize that the post that got me banned was childish mod-sass but gently caress those assholes. You can empty post for days as long as it is sycophantic sucking up like:

"Wonderful stuff. The kind of bizzaro chucklemining that only CBB can give!"
and
"Thank you for being so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
and
"This was super great!"

But defending your position and then airing a gripe about being censored is dealt with swiftly and harshly.

gently caress it, I'll just post here where the mods are reasonable and the discussion is (typically) of a higher calibur.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

tnimark posted:

I love reading stuff like this. I was disappointed when Scott stopped writing those 'how the bread is made' articles on the Earwolf website.

Whatever happened to those? I was only just getting into the show when those disappeared, and it feels like I missed out. At least, I can't find them anywhere anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Jess and Lennon look so good in that picture.