Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IUG posted:

Is that a new option? Because I've never seen that before and had to rely on scripts to do it for me.

No. I used a smart playlist with that same rule a couple months ago to help me find artwork for all my stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Specifically, the rule is (Album Artwork) (is false)

and you probably want to toss in a (Media Kind) (is) (Music) rule, too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

:siren: Show Duplicate Songs is back! :siren:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/13/itunes-11-0-1-released-bug-fixes-download/

So that's like one problem down, a few hundred to go. They also claim performance enhancements too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't see a big performance boost; memory usage is huge still and iTunes still has issues with certain songs where it can take up to 10 seconds to start playing them. :mad:

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

You know you can change the view of a playlist to "Artist List" view and then select all artists to give it that appearance, right?

I thought you were talking about the little album art window at the bottom right corner of the sidebar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this will preserve the playlist order (unless they happen to be alphabetical). I downgraded my other laptop this afternoon so I'm not able to check this easily :v:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
No idea if this is a common problem or what, so here goes:

In light of Apple's policy to force video apps to remove certain audio codecs, I've decided to convert all of my movies to m4v and put them into iTunes (windows 7, desktop computer from 2009, so not top of the line but not terrible). I've been using Handbrake and it's been going swimmingly.

Today I tried to play a blu-ray version of The Dark Knight in iTunes (~5GB). It's super choppy and won't play right. I open the same file in VLC and it works fine. This is where it gets weird: I can airplay that same file through iTunes to my Apple TV (3rd gen) or iPad 3 and it plays perfectly.

Why is this happening? Why can an iPad 3 and AppleTV play a movie over Airplay just fine, but a desktop computer cannot? Clearly it's an iTunes problem, but can it be fixed?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Installing the new iTunes (11.0.1) on Windows 8 64bit was kind of a bitch. It kept telling me I didn't have permissions to a folder the installer created. I had to go out to the folder and assign full control to everyone to get it installed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Media Kind bug has been stomped so the worry that this is an attempt to try to force people to use the bad iTunes U/Podcast apps is over.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

No idea if this is a common problem or what, so here goes:

In light of Apple's policy to force video apps to remove certain audio codecs, I've decided to convert all of my movies to m4v and put them into iTunes (windows 7, desktop computer from 2009, so not top of the line but not terrible). I've been using Handbrake and it's been going swimmingly.

Today I tried to play a blu-ray version of The Dark Knight in iTunes (~5GB). It's super choppy and won't play right. I open the same file in VLC and it works fine. This is where it gets weird: I can airplay that same file through iTunes to my Apple TV (3rd gen) or iPad 3 and it plays perfectly.

Why is this happening? Why can an iPad 3 and AppleTV play a movie over Airplay just fine, but a desktop computer cannot? Clearly it's an iTunes problem, but can it be fixed?

You can try removing the plugins by hand and reinstalling them but this may not work and is a lot of trouble.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Rick posted:

You can try removing the plugins by hand and reinstalling them but this may not work and is a lot of trouble.

Not sure what that means, but I tried reinstalling Quicktime, which did not help.

I also tried the same file on my Macbook Air and it played perfectly and didn't even seem to tax the CPU too heavily. It's definitely a Windows iTunes thing :iiam: must be a bug

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Hasn't fixed the smart playlist issue, and also still removes all previous iTunes shortcuts from the taskbar and start menu and demands a reboot :waycool:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I only just updated iTunes and discovered that the miniplayer was a thing, and I'm liking it immensely, but is there a way to have it display the "up next"-info horizontally (in line with the collapsed miniplayer) instead of vertically (in a pop-out window underneath the miniplayer)? I like the feature but with the list showing (resized to show just the next song) it takes up just a bit too much screen space.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The Airplay button is still missing for me. I saw it the very first time I launched iTunes 11 and it has been AWOL ever since. Also, if I launch it maximized, the window is still slightly larger than my display and I have to un-maximize it, resize it, and re-maximize it to make it display properly.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Yesterday, I was able to move an iTunes library to a new computer and syncing devices with the new computer didn't make me erase and resync the devices. It just added the new songs to the devices. Is this new??

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Are there any ideas as to why iTunes 11 has problems starting playback on certain tracks? Everything worked fine with 10 but now, when in shuffle mode for instance, some tracks play instantly after the previous one ends but some take a good 5-10 seconds to get started, during which iTunes beachballs and my external whirrs quite a bit. The tracks themselves aren't any different (in format or quality) than the others and other media players play them instantly.

The thing is that once iTunes does start playback on a problematic track, it plays it fine if I go back to it a little while later, but after a night in sleep mode or a restart of iTunes it happens again. One of my favorite albums does this and it's a bit jarring when there's a 10 second break between each track. :(

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Are you letting iTunes manage your library?

The first thing I thought of was that those particular tracks are on an external drive or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wario In Real Life posted:

Are you letting iTunes manage your library?

The first thing I thought of was that those particular tracks are on an external drive or something.
Yeah, I'm letting iTunes handle everything like always. My entire library is on an external drive but it's always worked fine before, and still does apart from a specific bunch of tracks that have nothing different about them that I can see. They're not corrupt, metadata is fine, some were added recently and some I've had for years and their bitrate and file type matches with pretty much everything else in my library. The first thing I suspected was the drive but everything checks out and iTunes is the only player that has problems with these tracks. Other people have had similar issues but no solutions or reasons for the behavior so far. I'm concerned if this doesn't get fixed I'm not sure how possible it is to roll back to iTunes 10.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My drive setup right now is such that all my music files are on a second internal drive ("E:"), and my OS is on a much, much smaller SSD ("C:"). My iTunes is configured to use the E: drive's folder for music, but it keeps the standard iTunes folder, with all its libraries, apps, and artwork in the C: drive's music folder.

This iTunes folder is upwards of 7GB, which I'd very much like to get off the C: drive and move it to the E:. However, if I backup/delete that from the C: drive, once I open it up again it just seems to synch up to the cloud and make the same huge folder in the smaller C: drive. I've got the 'let itunes manage my music' thing checked.

Is there any way to move this data without iTunes flipping out and re-making the folder?

edit: I dumb.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 16, 2012

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
7TB? Seriously?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
So I've managed to make iTunes what I want it to be, mostly just changing it back to similar to iTunes 10. The only thing I can't get it to do is to highlight/scroll down to the current song playing. If this doesn't make sense I can probably explain it better but on iTunes 10 when a song is playing, it scrolls down to the current album in the actual playlist rather than just showing the album art up top along with the song. Is there a way to change this? Google search hasn't turned up anything with the same problem so I imagine it's fairly unique to my needs.

Thanks. I do like it otherwise. I wish I could convince myself to spend the time to customize Foobar2000 to my liking since I buy my music on Amazon and don't own an iPhone or iPod.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ManSedan posted:

My drive setup right now is such that all my music files are on a second internal drive ("E:"), and my OS is on a much, much smaller SSD ("C:"). My iTunes is configured to use the E: drive's folder for music, but it keeps the standard iTunes folder, with all its libraries, apps, and artwork in the C: drive's music folder.

This iTunes folder is upwards of 7GB, which I'd very much like to get off the C: drive and move it to the E:. However, if I backup/delete that from the C: drive, once I open it up again it just seems to synch up to the cloud and make the same huge folder in the smaller C: drive. I've got the 'let itunes manage my music' thing checked.

Is there any way to move this data without iTunes flipping out and re-making the folder?

edit: I dumb.

Symlinks should do what you want (store the actual files elsewhere while iTunes still "sees" them at the default location)

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Godinster posted:

So I've managed to make iTunes what I want it to be, mostly just changing it back to similar to iTunes 10. The only thing I can't get it to do is to highlight/scroll down to the current song playing. If this doesn't make sense I can probably explain it better but on iTunes 10 when a song is playing, it scrolls down to the current album in the actual playlist rather than just showing the album art up top along with the song. Is there a way to change this? Google search hasn't turned up anything with the same problem so I imagine it's fairly unique to my needs.

Thanks. I do like it otherwise. I wish I could convince myself to spend the time to customize Foobar2000 to my liking since I buy my music on Amazon and don't own an iPhone or iPod.

Hit command L when you want this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Not sure what that means, but I tried reinstalling Quicktime, which did not help.

I also tried the same file on my Macbook Air and it played perfectly and didn't even seem to tax the CPU too heavily. It's definitely a Windows iTunes thing :iiam: must be a bug

You can drag the stuff from your /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins and [user] /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plugins to the desktop and then reinstall them one at a time until you figure out if one of them is causing the problem. Although you may not have anyh plugins at all.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Something is up with 11 but it's not universal (so far as I can tell). I can Airplay from my iPad/iPhone to my AppleTV just fine.

However, my iTunes doesn't see my AppleTV at all and my AppleTV doesn't see any of the HomeShared libraries from my iTunes since going to 11.

I just appeared to find a fix for this (for anyone who is still suffering this issue). Upgrading to iTunes 11.0.1 and the newest AppleTV update didn't help.

Turn off IPv6 (in Windows search for 'View Network Connections, Properties, and uncheck the IPv6 box) in your settings and reboot. My iTunes immediately saw my AppleTV was there.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm getting a mac mini tomorrow to become a home server, and I'm going to make it my iTunes server. Right now I use my iMac for this, but I'm planning on moving the entire iTunes library, music and library files and all to the mac mini.

Well, right now I sync all my iDevices with my iMac.. will I just start syncing with the mini instead? Will it just keep syncing even though I've moved it to a different computer? I'd hate to have to do a crazy backup and restore on all my devices just because I'm moving it to another computer.

I'm hoping this will "just work"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

echobucket posted:

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm getting a mac mini tomorrow to become a home server, and I'm going to make it my iTunes server. Right now I use my iMac for this, but I'm planning on moving the entire iTunes library, music and library files and all to the mac mini.

Well, right now I sync all my iDevices with my iMac.. will I just start syncing with the mini instead? Will it just keep syncing even though I've moved it to a different computer? I'd hate to have to do a crazy backup and restore on all my devices just because I'm moving it to another computer.

I think I got this to work by just transplanting the whole iTunes folder from my user folder into the new computer, and then telling it where my media was. I can't be 100% sure, but worst case is that your iDevice's icons get scrambled.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IUG posted:

I think I got this to work by just transplanting the whole iTunes folder from my user folder into the new computer, and then telling it where my media was.
Close. Move it over, then on the new machine's first launch of iTunes tell it which library you want to use (hold option down while you launch it, and select the library you just copied over).

Don't forget to deauthorize your old computer first, if applicable.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Alright, the other day I decided to buy iTunes Match but now I'm facing some problems with it:

If I buy music from the itunes store I don't have any problems with using it or distributing it to my other iDevices, but today I decided to rip some of my CD's into the computer as MP3; I had the option to upload one of them to iCloud but the other 3 won't let me do it, I see the tiny clouds near each song but if I right clicl on the album I don't have the option 'Add to iCloud'.

Does anybody have a clue on how to upload more than one album to iCloud? Or at least explain me how does iTunes match work?

PS: The albums I'm trying to upload aren't on the iTunes store, could that be the reason?

EDIT: Fixed , thank you anyway and sorry for the trouble!

Billa fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 18, 2012

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
New itunes 11 is out, why should I let it update this time?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Herr Tog posted:

New itunes 11 is out, why should I let it update this time?

Read the past 6 pages for a big surprise!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Suqit posted:

Read the past 6 pages for a big surprise!

Sorry should of worded that better but an update to 11 is out and asking me to update. Will this make poo poo worse or fix problems?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
You're right, generally software updates make things worse. Good call.

That's why I'm still on Jaguar.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

echobucket posted:

Are you letting iTunes manage your music for you on the old machine? If so, you should be able to drop the iTunes folder into the Music folder on the new Mac Mini and iTunes will automatically see the library and play everything just fine.

It used to be the case that you had to erase / resync all of your devices with the new computer. The other day, however, I migrated someone's iTunes 11 library over to a new computer and it didn't force me to erase any of her devices. I don't know if it was a strange fluke, or new behavior related to iTunes 11.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you run Migration Assistant, your iOS devices will sync with your Mac mini. No restore needed.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

diehlr posted:

Are you letting iTunes manage your music for you on the old machine? If so, you should be able to drop the iTunes folder into the Music folder on the new Mac Mini and iTunes will automatically see the library and play everything just fine.

It used to be the case that you had to erase / resync all of your devices with the new computer. The other day, however, I migrated someone's iTunes 11 library over to a new computer and it didn't force me to erase any of her devices. I don't know if it was a strange fluke, or new behavior related to iTunes 11.

So, I moved the whole iTunes folder from one machine to another. The Mini is acting just like nothing happened. I had to plug my iDevices back up to the mini and turn on "Wifi Syncing" and push "Sync" once, but they all seem to be working just fine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Here's an annoying problem I'm having: All my iTunes music is stored on my Mac laptop, and I frequently play it on my PC via Home Sharing. However, this frequently (as in, ~1 in 3) results in the last 30 or so seconds of the track being cut off and iTunes skipping prematurely to the next track. I can tell it to go back to the last track and drag the position indicator to roughly where it was, and it'll play the rest of the track fine... so why the hell is it chopping the ends off of so many songs? :(

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Maybe I'm dumb but it feels like the "Shuffle" functionality has been kind of buried in a menu without even a hotkey to toggle it. It's been like that since 11 came out of course and is nothing new but I've neglected to say anything for fear that I was not seeing a button somewhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There's a shuffle toggle icon to the right of the playtime scrubber in the - what do we call it now, info area? Now playing area? The inset in the middle top of the window that used to be styled after an LCD. That thing. There's also a repeat toggle on the left side of the scrubber.

Edit: MU ZETAAAAA! :argh:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Told you I'm loving stupid. I actually saw this for the first time right before coming to the thread. I knew it had to be easy or other people would have been bitching about it like crazy by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I'm having a slight problem with iTunes, I guess, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have The Fat of the Land by The Prodigy on CD. I imported it a while back with iTunes. All the tracks appear proper in one album in iTunes itself, but on my iPod and iPad, "Climbatize" appears separately from the others in it's own album with the same exact title and information. :( Any ideas?

It only started doing this after the iTunes 11 update.

e: Never mind, I only just figured it out after posting this. "Part of a Compilation" was checked on that one track for some reason, despite all tracks coming off the original CD.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 21, 2012