Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Holy Christ, I'm so stoked for Into Darkness now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Holy Christ, I'm so stoked for Into Darkness now.

it looks better in 3d on the big screen. really good usage of 3d.

edit: I just watched the cam version; why is there a woman commentating and making weird noises in the background? I feel sorry for whoever is stuck going to the movies with her.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 16, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Into Darkness is going to be one of those movies that the hardcore fans get all :argh: over. Even more so than the previous one. But gently caress, that 9 minute preview is awesome. Can't wait to see the whole movie in theaters.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

I'm pretty sure I could run to my local hardware store and build a perfect replica of the gun used in that clip. That has got to be one of the laziest props ever.

In fairness, that's deliberate. It's homemade- David Warner's character says of the natives, "We forbade them weapons, they soon began to fashion their own."

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

edit: I just watched the cam version; why is there a woman commentating and making weird noises in the background? I feel sorry for whoever is stuck going to the movies with her.

Had the exact same thought. Was almost gonna shut it off.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I started watching the cam version, shut it off. Waiting to see the proper version thanks

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there are very specific datetime for the release just like Superman, or is it just something like "evening in the US"?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ufarn posted:

Is there are very specific datetime for the release just like Superman, or is it just something like "evening in the US"?

There are no plans to release the IMAX footage for everyone as far as I know. If you want to see it you either gotta watch the cam version, or wait till the movie comes out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I saw it in IMAX yesterday when me and the family went to The Hobbit. Holy poo poo, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I loved the design of that planet, and when Giachinno's score kicked in when the Enterprise gets ready to take off out of the water I was fully on board.

I loved that that planet's name was Niburu.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

What I liked best about the preview was that it made it pretty clear it'll be a Star Trek movie in the vein of TOS instead of how things got after TNG. It didn't care about what TNG or any future titles said about the Prime Directive, nor did it try and hide the fact that Kirk would just stun a monster instinctively rather than twiddle his thumbs waiting for someone to tell him it was their ride. Put simply, the movie didn't feel like it was dragging the chains of anything beyond the original show. I think this'll piss a lot of diehard fans off who seem to forget that this isn't a movie of that caliber, and that TOS was pretty far away from what TNG and beyond was. Aside from that everyone had something to do, and Zachary Quinto nailed Spock yet again.

Nibiru is also a pretty TOS-sounding planet name. Screw it, the whole clip was pretty TOS-y, right down to the mysterious bad guy reveal without a name.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 17, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It worries me you say Quinto nailed Spock again, because I thought he was terrible at it the last time around.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Darko posted:

That rule only was widely said pre-Nemesis, really. No one goes by it any more, it's just referenced due to its former popularity (and since 2/4/6 are generally known as the best in the original series and First Contact is the best received NG movie).

Generations felt like the only Next Generation movie that didn't throw out the character development from the show. First Contact only makes sense if you skip every Borg episode after Locutus.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It worries me you say Quinto nailed Spock again, because I thought he was terrible at it the last time around.

Remember, Quinto Spock is about a decade younger than Nimoy Spock was in TOS. He hasn't gotten his emotions under as much control yet. I can totally buy Quinto's version. Especially that scene with the Vulcan Science Directorate or whatever. :drat:

e: Maybe not a decade, I forget how old Kirk is at the beginning of TOS and in JJTrek, but I'm fairly sure he's younger in JJ canon at this point than he was at the start of TOS by a good bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Remember, Quinto Spock is about a decade younger than Nimoy Spock was in TOS. He hasn't gotten his emotions under as much control yet. I can totally buy Quinto's version. Especially that scene with the Vulcan Science Directorate or whatever. :drat:

e: Maybe not a decade, I forget how old Kirk is at the beginning of TOS and in JJTrek, but I'm fairly sure he's younger in JJ canon at this point than he was at the start of TOS by a good bit.

Yeah, Kirk takes command of the Enterprise earlier in the new timeline.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kirk now never has to feel bad that he didn't fire phasers at the evil space cloud that killed hundreds of crewmen on the Farragut. He will also never have adventures with the Hill People as a lieutenant.

I'm hoping JJTrek3 (Star Trek and Back Again) will be a big-screen version of Kirk losing his memory on Native American Planet. I want to see Chris Pine hug himself with the appropriate narration running.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Spock beating the poo poo out of Kirk is a legit powerful moment and Quinto's physicality in the screen was really Nimoy-like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think that's the first time I've seen anyone say anything bad about Quinto's take on Spock. And I was one of the biggest naysayers when I heard he'd been cast. "loving Sylar is going to be Spock? gently caress that noise."

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I love the new Star Trek but I never really thought the new guy nailed Spock. Old TOS Spock always seemed bemused or genuinely not understanding emotion coming from humans. New Spock just seems annoyed as gently caress when he has to deal with anyone. I love all the new elements of Trek Quinto just seems to be the weak link for me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like what he's doing with it. Annoyed is right, he definitely seems like he's annoyed a lot and I just think it works. I'm glad he's playing it a bit different than Nimoy while still having some shades if him in there, just like Pine and Shatner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Throb Robinson posted:

Old TOS Spock always seemed bemused or genuinely not understanding emotion coming from humans.

Really? In my view, TOS Spock used bemused superiority to cover up his own emotional reactions and understanding and kinda lord it over the humans. It leaked through a lot.

Quinto potrays Spock as trying to do that but not being as good at it, which makes sense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Everyone is younger than when you see them in the original series, and are just meeting. That had to be taken into account. Hell, Old Spock kind of existed just to contrast what he would become with his angstier, younger self.

That said, this is also the first I'm hearing of anyone disliking Quinto Spock.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Throb Robinson posted:

Old TOS Spock always seemed bemused or genuinely not understanding emotion coming from humans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MCMHFGtks

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I guess I just feel like classic Spock struggled more with melancholy and affection than anger. When things would let Spock cut loose, what would he do? He'd laugh, smile, frolic in a meadow, or maybe cry. This new Spock is just an angry prick; it's a valid interpretation of someone in his position and background, but I don't feel like it's Spock to me.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Even though it takes place in the same "continuity" these are not the same characters. They're new characters for a new kind of Star Trek.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rhyno posted:

I think that's the first time I've seen anyone say anything bad about Quinto's take on Spock. And I was one of the biggest naysayers when I heard he'd been cast. "loving Sylar is going to be Spock? gently caress that noise."

I don't really dig new-Spock either. The science council scene makes my eyes roll really hard every time, especially the way the camera's just like EHHHH IM GONNA BE SIIIIDEWAYS for no good reason.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
New trailer is up!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

...was Chekov in red the last time?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

New trailer is up!

Those sure do look like cryogenic capsules.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

...was Chekov in red the last time?

Nope. Looks like he's running through the Engineering set.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You know what I just thought would be absolutely hilarious, after hearing that line about family, and thinking about the reported Hospital scene in the nine minute preview?

What if, after all the speculation of Cumberbatch being Khan or Gary Mitchell, in the end, it turns out he's actually A disguised Sybok?

It would almost be worth it just to see people lose their goddamn minds.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
If that's the Enterprise taking a beating, it looks like they switched out the deflector dish for a gold one.

Also, I'm digging that TMP-era insignia on Kirk's dress uniform.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Nope. Looks like he's running through the Engineering set.

That would actually be not a terrible move for him, considering the bizarre hypergenius tack they took with him in the first film. A guy who can plot moving transporter coordinates in his head has no business being a helmsman.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Aatrek posted:

Also, I'm digging that TMP-era insignia on Kirk's dress uniform.

Hell yes.

Also Chris Pine is some pitch perfect casting I think

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the IMAX preview I was actually surprised with how much I liked Pine as Kirk. Then again the cast of 2009 Trek is genuinely very good.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

That would actually be not a terrible move for him, considering the bizarre hypergenius tack they took with him in the first film. A guy who can plot moving transporter coordinates in his head has no business being a helmsman.

He's the navigator, not the helmsman, but I get the distinct impression that in this universe he's sort of a hybrid navigator/operations guy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Better that than being a Screaming Danger Indicator.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Based on the new trailer, it seems like they'll be making something out of the fact that Kirk is so young and in command and attempting to deal with him maturing. I think that's exactly what they need to do with this movie!

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That costume design is just fab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Aatrek posted:

New trailer is up!

Digital color grading is getting a little out of hand nowadays. A few of these (especially the overhead shot of the dudes folding the flag) literally look like cyan-tinted black and white shots. The shot there of Scotty running looks like they totally flattened it into greyscale, tinted it blue, and then painted on an accent color. This isn't a Star Trek problem though, just a hollywood trend problem, so whatever.

• Locked thread