Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the preview.

Even though the Prime Directive probably won't play a big role in the story anyway, I like their interpretation. Of course Starfleet won't doom a pre-warp civilization to die. They'll discreetly save them. gently caress that TNG episode with Worf's brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

I liked the preview.

Even though the Prime Directive probably won't play a big role in the story anyway, I like their interpretation. Of course Starfleet won't doom a pre-warp civilization to die. They'll discreetly save them. gently caress that TNG episode with Worf's brother.

That always made more sense to me. I think the writers in TNG were just sticking to it religiously without actually thinking through the morality issues it was meant to cover and what the intention of the directive was.

I mean, in TOS they saved primitive people; The Enterprise was sent to deflect an asteroid from smacking into a planet of primitives. They just couldn't tell them about it.

I always just figured that that kind of intervention just needed extra review and, like, Federation Council go-ahead as a matter of course.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

FrensaGeran posted:

I guess I should replace "not care" with "not so up in arms about it they'll write a lengthy article about how angry they are about not knowing a certain thing about a film that's half a year away". Except that guy.

Nah, it's cool, I was actually responding more to the quote from the angry ranting guy. I wouldn't go as far as saying people are interested in this movie because of the secrecy, but they're definitely still interested in the villain and the movie and not frothing at the mouth furious about it.

I actually think it would be refreshing going into a movie not knowing most of the major details for once (even though I loved the Robert April theory), so here's hoping JJ successfully keeps a lid on it till May.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I'd say the best odd Star Trek film is The Search for Spock. It mainly suffers from a somewhat lackluster villain after having just gotten away from Khan, and has some strange moments. But it's fun when it needs to be, and has Kirk experiencing real loss, which is rare. (Yes, he had just lost Spock, but since he gets him back in this movie, losing David is one of the few instances of real loss that sticks with the character.)

And

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
That preview was pretty cool, not gonna lie. Definitely made me more excited for the movie.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ComposerGuy posted:

That preview was pretty cool, not gonna lie. Definitely made me more excited for the movie.

The Hobbit turned out okay, but by the time the Trek preview finished I was pretty sucked in and was wishing I was watching that already.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Need a new Trek series comprised entirely of the first 10 minutes of JJ films.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
This whole idea of odd numbered Star Trek films being bad, cited as a hard and fast rule is ridiculous. It's produced as some inarguable scientific fact as a substitute for having an opinion. I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for why Star Trek V is supposedly so bad. Everyone always lists stuff like "Rocket boots". So, let's start there.

What's wrong with rocket boots?

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
The rocket boots are fine.

I don't like the lovely visual effects, I think the villain is super uninteresting, and the ending is baffling and anti-climactic. Even as a teenager when I was getting into these movies and I REALLY wanted to love each and every one of them, Star Trek V was the only one out of the lot that I really didn't like very much. Despite some nice character moments.

That said, totally agree about the even-odd "rule", surely nobody believes that anymore? The Motion Picture, Search for Spock, and Star Trek 2009 are all odd numbered ones and they're all pretty good. Conversely Star Trek Nemesis is a pile of poo poo.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Professor Clumsy posted:

Absolutely Nothing.

The 10 minute teaser in front of the Hobbit was fantastic and reminded me of what made the original Star Trek great in the first place. It definitely made me want to re-watch the first movie now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cellophane S posted:

That said, totally agree about the even-odd "rule", surely nobody believes that anymore? The Motion Picture, Search for Spock, and Star Trek 2009 are all odd numbered ones and they're all pretty good. Conversely Star Trek Nemesis is a pile of poo poo.

That rule only was widely said pre-Nemesis, really. No one goes by it any more, it's just referenced due to its former popularity (and since 2/4/6 are generally known as the best in the original series and First Contact is the best received NG movie).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The rule works very well for the TOS movies. It's not that the odd numbered ones are bad, I actually like all of them, but the even numbered ones are just really great movies and the odd numbered are at best flawed, but interesting movies.
TMP is probably the best of the odd numbered ones and maybe the one that best captures the spirit of the series, but it's too slow moving.
III is also a bit slow, and it doesn't have an interesting villain or hook to keep you interested, except for the titular search for Spock, but we already know where he is and that he's alive, so it's kinda pointless.
IV is my guilty pleasure. I haven't seen it in a while, but supposedly the interaction between Kirk/Spock/Bones is great. On the other hand it ruins some of the other characters, like Scotty who is turned into a bumbling comic relief.

TNG movies are all bad except maybe the first one which is even numbered, and ST09 doesn't count, because it's a new timeline. :science:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First contact would be an ok movie in a bubble - but completely ignoring characterization just to purposely craft an amalgam film with elements that have been proven to work elsewhere is completely transparent in it, and drops it down a great deal in context.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Professor Clumsy posted:

This whole idea of odd numbered Star Trek films being bad, cited as a hard and fast rule is ridiculous. It's produced as some inarguable scientific fact as a substitute for having an opinion. I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for why Star Trek V is supposedly so bad. Everyone always lists stuff like "Rocket boots". So, let's start there.

I only really got into Star Trek as a concept after Mass Effect and Star Trek, the J.J. Abrams joint, but I think Star Trek 5 is a close favourite after actual Star Trek, the J.J. Abrams joint.

It wierds me out, because there's a significant component of the fanbase, as far as I can tell, and I may be way off base, who think that Star Trek, the J.J. Abrams joint, is 'not Star Trek' because it's action packed and deals with big ideas very succinctly, whereas Star Trek Five, the same people seem to say, is 'bad Star Trek' because it eschews action and thrills for dealing with big ideas in an expansive and slow manner and approaching such, often absurd, ideas with a very endearing sense of sincerity. Which, to me, a new Star Trek watcher, was always at the core of the experience and one of the most impressive facets of the franchise.

Again, maybe I'm way off base and it's just a bad film on it's own merits, but Star Trek is really confusing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
If you accept Galaxy Quest as the tenth Star Trek film - between Insurrection and Nemesis - the even/odd theory works a lot better.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Darko posted:

First contact would be an ok movie in a bubble - but completely ignoring characterization just to purposely craft an amalgam film with elements that have been proven to work elsewhere is completely transparent in it, and drops it down a great deal in context.

First Contact's problem is the script, yeah. But I always thought Frakes did a drat good job directing it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

First Contact's problem is the script, yeah. But I always thought Frakes did a drat good job directing it.

I like the score, too, which always bumps up a film for me.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Darko posted:

I like the score, too, which always bumps up a film for me.

Fantastic work by Jerry Goldsmith.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did any of the writers/producers in Generations explain why they decided to just kill Picard's nephew and brother in a fire offscreen? That always seemed pretty awful to me considering that the episode that comes from is very strong.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Dan Didio posted:

I only really got into Star Trek as a concept after Mass Effect and Star Trek, the J.J. Abrams joint, but I think Star Trek 5 is a close favourite after actual Star Trek, the J.J. Abrams joint.

It wierds me out, because there's a significant component of the fanbase, as far as I can tell, and I may be way off base, who think that Star Trek, the J.J. Abrams joint, is 'not Star Trek' because it's action packed and deals with big ideas very succinctly, whereas Star Trek Five, the same people seem to say, is 'bad Star Trek' because it eschews action and thrills for dealing with big ideas in an expansive and slow manner and approaching such, often absurd, ideas with a very endearing sense of sincerity. Which, to me, a new Star Trek watcher, was always at the core of the experience and one of the most impressive facets of the franchise.

Again, maybe I'm way off base and it's just a bad film on it's own merits, but Star Trek is really confusing.

I came to it in a similar way. Abrams' Star Trek intrigued me about the franchise, so I watched all the films. Star Trek 5 stood out as the best and when I finally visited the TV show, I found that Star Trek 5 is the film that best encapsulates the essence of the show. I think where a lot of the more died-in-the-wool Trek fans differ is that they're approaching Star Trek as an all-ecompassing franchise from Shatner all the way to Bakula, when really anything post-Shatner is a very different animal. That colours expectations of these newer films.

Even when Star Trek 5 came out, The Next Generation was a couple of years old and that film probably stood out as being somewhat antithetical to what Star Trek was to the fans at that point. Just remember the sheer amount of face-punching that went on in the original series. Like when Spock savagely beat a woman in front of Bones to convince him that she was a salt vampire. Or the classic line "Captain, doesn't that hurt your hand?" when Spock watches Kirk punch some guards. I think these Abrams films are more in line with that kind of thing than what most fans think of as Star Trek at its best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did any of the writers/producers in Generations explain why they decided to just kill Picard's nephew and brother in a fire offscreen? That always seemed pretty awful to me considering that the episode that comes from is very strong.

They needed to dip Picard in tragedy so he could have an emotional epiphany later in the film.

And also so Malcom Mcdowel could have awesome lines about flames.

"They say time is the fire in which we burn..."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Professor Clumsy posted:

Well, I got no complaints as to the boots.

One problem with the film is that the whole "Let's go to the center of the universe and meet God" thing pays off with standing in the middle of the desert talking to a floaty guy with a beard who of course isn't really God because you can't do that in a mainstream sci-fi/action movie- and even then, there's the nub of a good idea, some strange malevolent force lurking for millions of years and sending out impressions of Paradise to lure people there to break it free from its prison, but the execution is just not there.

There were also some conflicting priorities, one was Shatner wanting to make a big action movie, and the other was "Star Trek IV was the biggest movie yet so we need more comedy", and those two collide a lot. The comedy is most about the ship not working, which gets silly quickly.

It also looks cheaper and faker than the other movies, partly due to the director's inexperience, partly due to a lot of foul-ups with a new FX company (Cinefex had a good article on this, with the firm in question explaining all the problems they had.) The action doesn't work as well as it should either.

It's not the worst of the Trek movies (Nemesis wins that decisively), but it feels cheap and rushed.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So.....was there a new 2 min or so trailer for this movie at the Hobbit(not to be confused with the 9 minute IMAX one)? I swear that was all I had been reading about but since the Hobbit has come out...nothing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ApexAftermath posted:

So.....was there a new 2 min or so trailer for this movie at the Hobbit(not to be confused with the 9 minute IMAX one)? I swear that was all I had been reading about but since the Hobbit has come out...nothing.

Same trailer as we already saw.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

There were also some conflicting priorities, one was Shatner wanting to make a big action movie, and the other was "Star Trek IV was the biggest movie yet so we need more comedy", and those two collide a lot. The comedy is most about the ship not working, which gets silly quickly.

Unfortunately, the comedy elements were a mandate from the studio.

quote:

It also looks cheaper and faker than the other movies, partly due to the director's inexperience, partly due to a lot of foul-ups with a new FX company (Cinefex had a good article on this, with the firm in question explaining all the problems they had.) The action doesn't work as well as it should either.

It's not the worst of the Trek movies (Nemesis wins that decisively), but it feels cheap and rushed.

See, I don't get this. Show me one camera setup that Nimoy did on III or IV that beats the amazing dolly shot that moves from everyone on the bridge of the Enterprise agape at the appearance of "God," only to show that no one has seen that the Bird of Prey is moving in to attack (with an excellent little Goldsmith cue to go with it).

Star Trek V's problems are due to its script (Harve Bennett managing David "Dreamscape" Loughery was a mistake) and its rushed schedule. The writers guild strike ended in August 1988, and filming needed to begin no later than October to meet Paramount's summer release date. The schedule was nothing short of insane. Yeah, the effects blow, but they were really between a rock and a hard place, there -- ILM was tied up with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Ghostbusters II, and there weren't many other options. Douglas Trumbull had bailed from Hollywood work and John Dykstra didn't have the bandwidth to take on the project; there weren't really many agencies around with experience doing high-quality motion control work for science fiction films, especially since Robert Abel & Associates (which did the work on The Motion Picture) had folded a year or two earlier.

But Shatner did an amazing job directing that movie -- I would have loved to see what he could do with a better script.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 16, 2012

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Same trailer as we already saw.

Trailer I saw at The Hobbit was different from anything I have seen online. Lots of static lingering shots on things like the deck of the enterprise and the captains chair. Absent of the "BWAAAH" music. Led up to that shot of Benedict's character standing behind the glass. All voiced over by Benedict.

Also when the film title came on screen, Giacchino's Star Trek theme played.

Trying to find it online, no luck so far.

VVV Ah there we go.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 16, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iSheep posted:

Trailer I saw at The Hobbit was different from anything I have seen online. Lots of static lingering shots on things like the deck of the enterprise and the captains chair. Absent of the "BWAAAH" music. Led up to that shot of Benedict's character standing behind the glass. All voiced over by Benedict.

Also when the film title came on screen, Giacchino's Star Trek theme played.

Trying to find it online, no luck so far.

It goes up on the 17th.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Timby posted:

Unfortunately, the comedy elements were a mandate from the studio.

See, I don't get this. Show me one camera setup that Nimoy did on III or IV that beats the amazing dolly shot that moves from everyone on the bridge of the Enterprise agape at the appearance of "God," only to show that no one has seen that the Bird of Prey is moving in to attack (with an excellent little Goldsmith cue to go with it).

Star Trek V's problems are due to its script (Harve Bennett managing David "Dreamscape" Loughery was a mistake) and its rushed schedule. The writers guild strike ended in August 1988, and filming needed to begin no later than October to meet Paramount's summer release date. The schedule was nothing short of insane. Yeah, the effects blow, but they were really between a rock and a hard place, there -- ILM was tied up with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Ghostbusters II, and there weren't many other options. Douglas Trumbull had bailed from Hollywood work and John Dykstra didn't have the bandwidth to take on the project; there weren't really many agencies around with experience doing high-quality motion control work for science fiction films, especially since Robert Abel & Associates (which did the work on The Motion Picture) had folded a year or two earlier.

But Shatner did an amazing job directing that movie -- I would have loved to see what he could do with a better script.

The music cue you're referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na76Mrl89Rs

The little Klingon theme quote appears at 3:40

But the whole track is incredible. Jerry Goldsmith MAGIC.

Honestly his score is the best thing about the whole production.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cellophane S posted:

Honestly his score is the best thing about the whole production.

Goldsmith's score, Shatner's direction, Andy Laszlo's cinematography. That is a beautiful movie.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Timby posted:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:swoon:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Was rewatching Star Trek 2009. An interesting thing I was thinking while watching was that Spock ultimately repaid the gift of rebirth to Kirk - not by going after and reviving his ancient body like in TSOS, but by having their friendship define them so clearly that Spock going back in time would somehow end up changing the character of Kirk's life - he now has another go at the rear end-kicking life he had while serving on the Enterprise's 5 year mission.

It's certainly better than bringing the Kirk that died in Generations back to life. Poetry, it rhymes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That's a very good point, Korusan.

Also, Aatrek, what are those two shots? Why are they different? What are they from?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
They're both from ST5.

:siren: A VIDEO OF THE 9-MINUTE TREK PREVIEW HAS LEAKED ONLINE :siren:

Don't be a dummy and post a link to it, okay?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Oh man. This just shot to my most anticipated film after seeing that. Wow.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have very mixed feelings about Generations, but I liked (well, appreciated), how that made it feel like a soldier far from home getting bad news by letter. It was an awful, stupid accident that killed them, and he's out in space and can't do anything.

And much as you'll only get to see Picard in such an emotional state in one of the movies, it felt pretty perfect when he just wants to brush it off and get on with his job.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timby posted:

But Shatner did an amazing job directing that movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1WqN1XKK0

I honestly don't know how you can direct that scene worse (in a major film).

edit: Also the dialogue is directed weirdly with a bunch of odd...pauses...that aren't natural at all (and emotion that pops up out of nowhere): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvi62S5Ou_E

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 16, 2012

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Darko posted:

edit: Also the dialogue is directed weirdly with a bunch of odd...pauses...that aren't natural at all (and emotion that pops up out of nowhere): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvi62S5Ou_E

I'm pretty sure I could run to my local hardware store and build a perfect replica of the gun used in that clip. That has got to be one of the laziest props ever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

I'm pretty sure I could run to my local hardware store and build a perfect replica of the gun used in that clip. That has got to be one of the laziest props ever.

When I was a kid, I used to make "movies" using PVC pipe taped to extensions as guns. I honestly see no difference at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

A paid professional should at least attempt to conceal the fact that their 'gun' is clearly built from galvanized pipe fittings and CO2 cartridges. Using the fittings and parts to make the prop isn't the problem, as a lot of props are made from everyday stuff. The difference is that most of the time some extra effort is used to conceal the fact that they are just everyday items.

EDIT: Just watched the 9 minute preview and drat I can't wait for this movie.

• Locked thread