Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

mr. stefan posted:

You know what I just thought would be absolutely hilarious, after hearing that line about family, and thinking about the reported Hospital scene in the nine minute preview?

What if, after all the speculation of Cumberbatch being Khan or Gary Mitchell, in the end, it turns out he's actually A disguised Sybok?

It would almost be worth it just to see people lose their goddamn minds.

He's totally going to end up being a changeling spy paving the way for Dominion invasion.

And the Emissary is going to pop out of a wormhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Technically the Sisko probably is in the wormhole no matter what timeline you're looking at.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I unironically hope it's full of lens flare again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well you see, after the Third World War, one of the many fields set back by the nuclear bombardment was finely machined optical lenses. Thus, in the future, lens flare.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
My biggest hope for the new movie is that Spock's character is less of a complete mess and more in character than what he was in the first. Seeing him with Uhura in the trailer sort of seems like he won't, and I'm sure they'll be playing up the whole fact that Vulcan is gone and we'll see Spock throw a few more tantrums yet again.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Trailer has http://www.areyouthe1701.com/ in it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't really dig new-Spock either. The science council scene makes my eyes roll really hard every time, especially the way the camera's just like EHHHH IM GONNA BE SIIIIDEWAYS for no good reason.

Yeah man screw any movie that wants to explore interesting cinematic camera angles. Would you prefer the whole movie was shot in boring rear end shot reverse shot?

Polo-Rican posted:

Digital color grading is getting a little out of hand nowadays. A few of these (especially the overhead shot of the dudes folding the flag) literally look like cyan-tinted black and white shots.

I kind of like it. It's obviously a funeral scene and I think that color grading adds a bit of solemness to the whole thing. It sets the emotional tone even more-so than without it.

Isn't the whole point of film to do storytelling with images? Do people no longer understand this?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Some Other Guy posted:

Technically the Sisko probably is in the wormhole no matter what timeline you're looking at.

Even though it would never happen, this would be amazing. Halfway through the movie, The Sisko pops out of nowhere and starts ACTING everywhere devouring large parts of the sets and lens flares. A man can dream though.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pops Mgee posted:

Even though it would never happen, this would be amazing. Halfway through the movie, The Sisko pops out of nowhere and starts ACTING everywhere devouring large parts of the sets and lens flares. A man can dream though.
Except he's played by Idris Elba.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

ApexAftermath posted:

I kind of like it. It's obviously a funeral scene and I think that color grading adds a bit of solemness to the whole thing. It sets the emotional tone even more-so than without it.

Isn't the whole point of film to do storytelling with images? Do people no longer understand this?

You nailed it, the reason every action film for the past 5 years has been graded cyan and orange is because the director thought that those two colors would help him Do Storytelling.

Also the idea that filmmakers should make funeral scenes essentially black and white so that audiences know to be sad is really insulting to audiences.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a pretty great trailer! The music in the first have was wonderful for the voiceover.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah man screw any movie that wants to explore interesting cinematic camera angles. Would you prefer the whole movie was shot in boring rear end shot reverse shot?

You can't stay true to the spirit of TOS with digital colour grading. You need to do it with massive amounts of gel-coated light all over your sets. And that thing where you shine thin bands of light directly at yours actors' eyes.

JJ Abrams should know this. When he wanted lens flares, he did it the old-fashioned way, by standing out of frame and waving high-powered flashlights at the camera.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This movie is so blue/orange, especially with all the mauve undertones, bright white highlights, bold red accents, and blocks of murky yellow. And did you see that crimson forest in the 10 minute preview? Orange as hell.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ApexAftermath posted:

It's a goofy shot that doesn't contribute at all to the storytelling of the scene. It's completely distracting and you can just see dumbass JJ Abrams holding his hands up and making WHOOOOSH noises while he explains it. It's terrible.

Chlorine
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at that!
Trailer looks good, reminds me of the animated series for some reason, I might have to dig up my DVDs and watch some animated this week.

My only complaint about the JJTrek series is that they have totally marginalized, almost to the point of being irrelevant, McCoy. Maybe its just because I was in love with DeForrest Kelley and McCoys character, but I don't like that he seems to have been pushed even behind Chekov in importance.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't see that perspective at all. McCoy is in every Starfleet scene from the first one, has the whole inducing sickness sequence and is Kirk's confidant/sounding board throughout; Chekov does what, delivers one shipwide address, works the teleporter and makes up some poo poo about Saturn?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I didn't see a link for the new trailer after Aatrek's screens, so here you go (this is not the nine-minute preview).

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

This movie is so blue/orange, especially with all the mauve undertones, bright white highlights, bold red accents, and blocks of murky yellow. And did you see that crimson forest in the 10 minute preview? Orange as hell.

I was wondering why the blue/orange thing got brought up, because it didn't really seem to be in this trailer. It's probably just the new 'shaky cam'. Call it out early, and if people agree with you that it exists than you can be all :smug:

EDIT: Everyone could use more McCoy. Karl Urban did a fantastic job capturing that character in his own way.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 17, 2012

Chlorine
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at that!

epitasis posted:

I don't see that perspective at all. McCoy is in every Starfleet scene from the first one, has the whole inducing sickness sequence and is Kirk's confidant/sounding board throughout; Chekov does what, delivers one shipwide address, works the teleporter and makes up some poo poo about Saturn?

Like I said, its a very minor complaint. If you distill any character in a film into a few jot-notes of course it won't seem like they did much. I just hope he fits into the trusted adviser role he had for the series and films instead of a mildly comedic doctor who went invisible after Vulcan was destroyed.

I just want more McCoy, there will never be enough.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Rhyno posted:

That was a pretty great trailer! The music in the first have was wonderful for the voiceover.

I thought the music was cookie cutter, bland trailer music

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

I was wondering why the blue/orange thing got brought up, because it didn't really seem to be in this trailer. It's probably just the new 'shaky cam'. Call it out early, and if people agree with you that it exists than you can be all :smug:

If you seriously don't see the color monotony in those images I quoted, congrats on being colorblind / having zero design sense! But as I said in my first post, this is a hollywood thing, not just a star trek thing, so I'll shut up about it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

If you seriously don't see the color monotony in those images I quoted, congrats on being colorblind / having zero design sense! But as I said in my first post, this is a hollywood thing, not just a star trek thing, so I'll shut up about it.

I guess I look at that trailer and think "drat, that looks beautiful". You're saying "no it's not, it's terrible because it is a trend in movies/posters".

Can you see why I would not exactly take you seriously?

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Polo-Rican posted:

Every time a color is muted a voice is silenced.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

casa de mi padre posted:

Every time a color is muted a voice is silenced.

Millions of pixels cried out in terror etc etc etc.

I caught the 9 minute preview in front of The Hobbit on Saturday and May (is it?) cannot get here fast enough. Just make a little stop off by the side in January so I can finish up with Wheel of Time first.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Polo-Rican posted:

I see lots of blue, but no orange. Then again I've never heard of this orange/blue thing until now

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Farecoal posted:

I see lots of blue, but no orange. Then again I've never heard of this orange/blue thing until now

Cyan / orange is typical but this film is more cyan and red. It's one of those things you don't notice until someone mentions to you, but then once you learn about it, it's everywhere.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 18, 2012

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Is it still trendy if the coloring makes sense for the actual scene? The first movie was pretty vibrant color-wise, and I'm not seeing anything that tells me this movie won't be more of the same. It's when the colors seem forced rather than appropriate to the scene in question that I'd start complaining, but I don't see that happening in the trailer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Everything from red to gold counts as "orange" for the purpose of the complaint, and everything from olive to navy counts as "blue". If a shot uses significant colour treatment, has warm/cool contrast, and does not contain purple or lime green, it's automatically blue/orange loving us again.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

The Dark One posted:

And that thing where you shine thin bands of light directly at yours actors' eyes.

One of my favourite things was JJ's subtle homages to the show, like that and the orange ladder in the hallway. I think one of the Plinkett reviews (probably the Trek '09 one) points this out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone have the non iTunes link? It's not showing up in youtube search for some reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Anyone have the non iTunes link? It's not showing up in youtube search for some reason.

Paramount for some reason is removing them from Youtube. I don't think Paramount understands that trailers are meant to be viewed, to let people know about their movie so they see it in theaters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said come in! posted:

Paramount for some reason is removing them from Youtube. I don't think Paramount understands that trailers are meant to be viewed, to let people know about their movie so they see it in theaters.

Well I'll cut my dick off before I ever install Quicktime so I guess I'm hosed.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Farecoal posted:

Orange and blue are contrast colors. They are used like this because they go good together, and this has been going on for ages.

People might as well complain about the Starry Night painting for crying out loud.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some Other Guy posted:

You know who else is still around? And can jump timelines like you change shoes?

:smug:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Kirk now never has to feel bad that he didn't fire phasers at the evil space cloud that killed hundreds of crewmen on the Farragut. He will also never have adventures with the Hill People as a lieutenant.

He also probably was never on that colony under Kodos, and a ton of other things.

This is so, so important for people to understand. This Kirk, when he gets command, is not only physically about 5 years younger (as is the rest of the cast), he has, like the rest of the cast, grown up in a totally different universe and had different experiences.

This Kirk didn't go into the Academy til he was much older-he was basically a "non-Traditional student" as we call them now-going in his mid 20s with a bunch of kids. In the OT, before Kirk had commanded the Enterprise he'd had years on other starships like Farragut in lower ranks, been a first officer, and spent time teaching at the Academy. We knew Kirk as a strong disciplinarian with his crew, very smart and bookish, but also passionate. This Kirk is still a lot less mature.

It's a great philosophical question, though I don't think the new series will explore it much. But with this Kirk, you are asked to think "how much of a person is made up by their circumstances and experiences?" Old Spock felt that this was the same Kirk, and no matter what if he could get him together with his younger self and McCoy, they'd make magic. On the other hand, in "Tapestry" on TNG we saw a very different Picard. It's a great thing to speculate about.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Astroman posted:

He also probably was never on that colony under Kodos

Is this actually a thing? The only time I remember this being mentioned was in Academy - Collision Course (I know, I know, I'm a sucker for the Reeves-Stevens books) where they dip into it about how little Jim was there as a glorified boy scout trip thing and some alien mold kills off the colony food supply so a guy calling himself Kodos murders most of the adults using indoctrinated teens and all this stuff. The rest of the book strays pretty far from typically accepted canon though, so I had no idea whether that's the 'official' Kodos thing.

Binaroid
May 4, 2004

Astroman posted:

This is so, so important for people to understand. This Kirk, when he gets command, is not only physically about 5 years younger (as is the rest of the cast), he has, like the rest of the cast, grown up in a totally different universe and had different experiences.

This Kirk didn't go into the Academy til he was much older-he was basically a "non-Traditional student" as we call them now-going in his mid 20s with a bunch of kids. In the OT, before Kirk had commanded the Enterprise he'd had years on other starships like Farragut in lower ranks, been a first officer, and spent time teaching at the Academy. We knew Kirk as a strong disciplinarian with his crew, very smart and bookish, but also passionate. This Kirk is still a lot less mature.

It's a great philosophical question, though I don't think the new series will explore it much. But with this Kirk, you are asked to think "how much of a person is made up by their circumstances and experiences?" Old Spock felt that this was the same Kirk, and no matter what if he could get him together with his younger self and McCoy, they'd make magic. On the other hand, in "Tapestry" on TNG we saw a very different Picard. It's a great thing to speculate about.

Nero posted:

Captain James T. Kirk was considered to be a great man(...) but that was another life.

Considering they put that line in the second trailer for Trek 2009 along with Pike's big "Your father was a captain for five minutes" speech, Abrams is at least thinking about this. Of course, I was hoping for more about this than just Kirk going from zero to Captain in about 2 hours and a few scenes with Nimoy.

Hopefully the new trailer means they'll cover this theme in more detail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binaroid posted:

Considering they put that line in the second trailer for Trek 2009 along with Pike's big "Your father was a captain for five minutes" speech, Abrams is at least thinking about this. Of course, I was hoping for more about this than just Kirk going from zero to Captain in about 2 hours and a few scenes with Nimoy.

Hopefully the new trailer means they'll cover this theme in more detail.

I also hope for this, New Kirk has been thrown into the deep end of the pool and we don't even know if he can swim.

And the shortened line from the trailer is still very powerful. "..but that was another life!" gave me chills the first time I saw it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

ApexAftermath posted:

People might as well complain about the Starry Night painting for crying out loud.

The Starry Night is actually a perfect example of the opposite. On first glance it might seem to be only two dominant shades of color, but on closer inspection there's a whole palette of complimentary and contrasting shades making up the image. For example, the deep purples and reds in the darker parts of the image.

Compare:

For the record I think this film looks like it employs the trendy orange-teal thing in a more palatable way than a lot of recent films. That said, though it may be tiresome the general complaint is based on a real trend.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

For the record I think this film looks like it employs the trendy orange-teal thing in a more palatable way than a lot of recent films. That said, though it may be tiresome the general complaint is based on a real trend.

I just think it's dumb to dismiss something because "it's a trend". I find it really insufferable when something gets bitched about because it is used a lot. If there is something unappealing about it lets talk about that, but saying "eh I've seen too much of this, I now do not like" is so mind numbly meaningless as a criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

korusan posted:

One of my favourite things was JJ's subtle homages to the show, like that and the orange ladder in the hallway. I think one of the Plinkett reviews (probably the Trek '09 one) points this out.

I decided to watch the Plinket review (for like the 4th time, its a really good review) tonight, and he points these exact things out in it.

• Locked thread