Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So Ran Yu Yu's retirement show is going to be on 12/2 and the main event/her retirement match has been announced with a one night re-uniting of the Jungle Jack 21 (Aja's stable).

Chikayo Nagashima, Sonoko Kato, Carlos Amano, Meiko Satomura & Tsubasa Kuragaki vs. Ran Yu Yu, Aja Kong, AKINO, Hiroyo Matsumoto & Tomoka Nakagawa

Match type is going to be a "Law of the Jungle" match: 60 minutes starting with five 1v1 matches of five minutes each afterwards the last 35 minutes are a 5v5 tag. Iron Man rules so you get a point for a pinfall, submission, or KO and whatever team has the most points at the end of the match wins.

So basically they're dusting off JWP's old Thunder Queen match except with one extra person on each side. If you haven't watched the original Thunder Queen match (from 7/31/93) do it because holy poo poo is it a great match and quite possibly the best multiperson tag match ever. This has enough talent in it to be great too so hopefully it makes TV and isn't clipped to hell and back because goddamn do I want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Former Shimmer Champion and Australia's greatest female wrestler, Madison Eagles is returning to the ring on Saturday 12th January, in Toukley, NSW, 466 days after a knee injury put her career in doubt.

Needless to say, this is fantastic news for Madison and all of her fans, and I personally look forward to seeing her wrestle again down here in Melbourne.

More information can be found on Ringbelles.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Yoshiko is about to hit her 2nd year as a pro wrestler. She's 19 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmbpKT9hFdY

She's going to be a loving monster by the time she's 21. She's a Kong in the making.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Her match with Nanae from August is really awesome too.

The thing she has over a lot of other newer joshi is that she actually comes off as a character. The sort of swagger with no fear or even really respect for all of the vets. She just doesn't give a gently caress and it makes her a lot of fun to watch in the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30tYDSPGDmc

Although of the STARDOM roster Kairi Hojo probably has the best finisher: it's like a cross-legged Boston crab thing with a bridge that looks great.

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 17, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
That was a pretty cool rolling death cradle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really wish there was a good supply of Joshi out there, I would totally watch it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Most of it's just not on TV anymore. OZ Academy gets a regular spot on GAORA but OZ can be hit and miss, especially when you get some WCW-esque Ozaki faction main events. Everything else you have to hope the Korakuen shows or big, special shows get on Samurai TV or that people pick up and rip stuff from DVDs.

Sucks because I'd wish more JWP stuff would get shown.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Kana quit Wrestling New Classic because apparently she hasn't been paid in four months and any time she tried getting in touch with Tsutomu Takashima (the company's president) she got no response. So she decided to sever ties and go back to freelancing as opposed to being based out of WNC but working other promotions occasionally (mainly WAVE).

Also wonder if that's just a problem that she had or if other women on the roster or wrestlers in general are having problems with getting paid.

Also Hikaru Shida and Tsukasa Fujimoto beat IR tag champs Tsukushi and Kurumi to unify the IR and REINAxWORLD tag belts... then lost them three days later to Hailey Hatred and Hamuko Hoshi. And Natsuki*Taiyo and Yoshiko won the vacant STARDOM tag belts.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 28, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
That's really rough for WNC who had already split because Tajiri didn't get along with the prior president.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

http://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/tokyo-womens-wrestling-update-new-trainees-nozomi-resigns/

NOZOMI's gone from TWW because she was only doing it for the opportunity to wrestle with her brother but since he's gone from DDT she doesn't feel like there's any reason to stay. That seems like kind of a lovely attitude honestly but whatever. On the plus side they've actually got some trainees now; on the negative side one of them looks like she's just trying to use it to springboard into an idol career...

Also Sayaka Obihiro's resigning from Ice Ribbon after their New Year's Eve Korakuen Hall show.

And the following shows are going to be airing on Samurai TV in January: Sendai 12/15, JWP 12/24, STARDOM 12/24, Ice Ribbon 12/31 and another 12/15 show (FLIK said it came up during intermission at NJPW's tag league PPV but he wasn't able to catch what the last promotion was). Presumably/Hopefully this means STARDOM's Sumo Hall show in April is getting aired as well.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'd really like to see Shida expand beyond ICE and maybe get a tryout in the USA at SHIMMER or in CHIKARA. I keep saying it, but she's got a lot of potential.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Oh and apsouthern could probably say if she's good or not but Kay Lee Ray from EVE is going to be working a Gatoh Move show in Japan and also JWP's Christmas Eve show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

Oh and apsouthern could probably say if she's good or not but Kay Lee Ray from EVE is going to be working a Gatoh Move show in Japan and also JWP's Christmas Eve show.
I've seen some Kay Lee Ray matches, and I think she's pretty good.

Gatoh Move is a lot like old Ice Ribbon. I mean.....Old Ice Ribbon. They wrestle in gyms and apartments on tumble mats.

e: oh! They have a ring now

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, they've had one for their Japan shows.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Suben posted:

Kay Lee Ray has come on a lot recently. I saw her wrestle Mickie James earlier in the year up in Scotland and she didn't look out of place. And she became one of the regular girls at my local indie where she's had some really hard hitting matches. I think she'll do well in Japan, she's not afraid of going stiff or diving out of the ring, and she looks really distinctive with her red hair.

Here's a triple threat match with her against Erin Angel and Tsukasa Fujimoto from the Pro Wrestling EVE/Ice Ribbon weekend last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPR6qAqV9sw

Edit: and here she is double stomping a chair into her friend's face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6g0icj_Bog

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 4, 2012

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
KLR is really good. Her match at PCWs halloween show (No DQ) against carmel was pretty brutal.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Uh so Yuzuki Aikawa announced on her blog that she's retiring at STARDOM's Sumo Hall show on 4/29. Google Translate but it seems like she just burned out on wrestling really fast? I dunno.

That's... something. So they've lost one of the people they seemed to be building around this year and now THE centerpiece is gone next year. Guess that means it's Yoshiko's time to shine? With, I'd imagine, Kairi Hojo and/or Yuhi getting pushed as the new top non-vet babyfaces unless one of them randomly decides to retire too or something.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Wasn't Aikawa the gravure idol who got kicked in the boobs a lot until she was accepted as a pro wrestler?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Wasn't Aikawa the gravure idol who got kicked in the boobs a lot until she was accepted as a pro wrestler?
That sounds about right. Yoshiko is great though, she can become a huge name in Joshi if she sticks with it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Basically her reasoning is that she feels she's "old" (she's only 29) and that her body is "sore". I dunno, she definitely brought attention to STARDOM but it feels like now it was all pointless because they spent all this time pushing her and then she just up and quits like two (well three coming up) years later. Hopefully the fans she helped bring in stick with the promotion but who knows; that's kind of the problem you run into (well that and washouts) when you're trying to make looks the selling point. If STARDOM wants to do they idol thing though they need to find a way to appeal to young girls like AJW did back in the '70s and '80s instead of appealing to adult men because that's how you'll hook a loyal fanbase and start getting an influx of girls wanting to come in and become wrestlers.

Hopefully she drops the white belt to Yoshiko before retiring. Wonder what her last match is going to be (Nanae singles?) because no way she doesn't main event Sumo Hall now even though she was going to main event it anyway most likely.

Suben fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 18, 2012

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

what little I saw of Aikawa was her getting the ever-loving poo poo kicked out of her, so I can't fault her for wanting to hit 40 and be mobile.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Suben posted:

Also wonder if that's just a problem that she had or if other women on the roster or wrestlers in general are having problems with getting paid.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that AKIRA was having similar financial problems.

Poor Tajiri, he just can't find anyone reliable :ohdear:

Anyway, yes, I concur with everyone saying push Yoshiko in Aikawa's wake. Shame, Aikawa was pretty loving good. Then again, so is Yoshiko.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I am sort of curious, now that WWE has taken to raiding the SHIMMER roster alongside talent agencies how long it will take before actual women's matches start popping up on WWE TV.

Though I think there were definitely people further along than Davina Rose on that roster.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I'd want to see Yoshiko in the WWE some day because she's pretty good for her experience level and has a ton of charisma that'd get her over without really even needing to be able to speak (not that Divas really talk anyway) and her style isn't really dangerous or overly stiff or whatever. It'll never happen though.

As for how long... who knows? It just really depends on how serious they take it or whether or not this just winds up being a phase.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Eh, double post but Arisa Nakajima is the new JWP Openweight Champion so... good comeback year for her since she's also one half of the tag champions (with Bolshoi) and is very obviously now the centerpiece of the promotion. Blood's apparently from headbutting Emi so hard she busted herself open.

Suben fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 24, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Is the red on her chest from the blood or from chops?

That should be the picture people get shown when they ask what joshi wrestling is like. :gonk:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Looks like bruises/welts so chops probably.

Sucks that the show probably isn't airing on Samurai until January (and who knows when it actually gets online) since Emi vs. Nakajima would probably be good enough for at least an HM. Most of the card looks pretty good with the exception of the comedy battle royal. The latter half of the STARDOM card on the same day (Kyoko Kimura vs. Io Shirai, Natsuki*Taiyo/Yoshiko vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto/Yuhi and Nanae vs. Aikawa) looks pretty good too.

Suben fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 24, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Wait, comeback year? When was her return match then?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

She debuted in 2006 and was getting pushed pretty well by JWP but wound up retiring in 2009 due to "poor health" (the rumor, apparently, is that she was dealing with depression). She showed up at JWP Climax last year and announced she was coming back and then finally had her return match in April of this year. She hadn't wrestled a match in three years at that point but the couple of matches of her's I've seen this year she still looks pretty good albeit shaking off ring rust. JWP obviously wants (and wanted before) her to be the ace/new gen Azumi Hyuga. Guess it helps too that when she retired before she was only 20 so she's still pretty young as opposed to trying to come back at an older age.

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't see anyone post this but apparently Davina Rose is going to WWE developmental, I was in the parking lot having a smoke when they announced it so I only caught the tail end but theres a little image explaining it at the top of her home promotions website. http://www.btwrestling.com/home_12.html

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I gave her that plastic rose in that photo.

It's like I'm wrestling royalty. Again. And for something even more stupid.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Kind of going off of stuff in the puro thread but...

Pretty much any LCO match from about '97 through the turn of the century is going to be a brutal, bloody brawl because that was kind of their shtick and it was awesome. The '99 match against HamaKINO and the various matches against Tomoko Watanabe and ______ (usually Kumiko Maekawa but also the cage match with Kaoru Ito) are all great. LCO had their style but they did it to perfection which is why they're my all-time favorite tag team.

Kind of wonder if they would've been able to get over if either WWF didn't shutter the women's division (and thus the AJW relationship) when Madusa left. I really think they could've given their match style at a time where people were really into ECW style stuff.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 31, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Maki Narumiya's the new ICEx60 champion. Sayaka Obihiro and Kyoko Kimura lost the Ice Ribbon/REINA tag belts to Aoi Kizuki and Tsukushi and then Obihiro, who announced she was leaving Ice Ribbon, joined up with Emi Sakura's Gatoh Move promotion (which is what Riho did when she left too). That bit's interesting because it makes me think that there's probably dissatisfaction among at least some of the IR talent and loyalty to Emi and given that Emi's popular and has a lot of ties (especially to JWP) I wonder if more of the roster jumps over to Gatoh Move in the future.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I thought Riho retired.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I thought Riho retired.
Her older sister was the one who retired.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I thought Riho retired.

She said she was leaving Ice Ribbon and taking a break from wrestling to focus on school, then immediately joined up with Emi's fledgling promotion and has been doing matches with them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Gatoh Move house shows are still literally house shows on tumble mats and it's kind of bizarre to see. I think they've done a couple shows with a real ring, but it's always been some sort of boxing event.

I don't think there's any local wrestling in Thailand right now, so Emi's promotion is still trying to settle down.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The shows they've done in Japan have had an actual ring. I guess she's just trying to build from the ground up again like she did with IR. And I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of the IR roster has a lot of loyalty for Emi. Riho's been with her since she was 9 for example and Emi trained everyone barring the most recent group of trainees that debuted at Korakuen Hall yesterday (Fujimoto and I think Shida are the head trainers now).

If there's enough loyalty among a good segment of the roster that they'll jump over to Emi's promotion I'd think that could help out Gatoh Move a lot in regards to establishing itself and getting better equipment and stuff and get back to where IR was before Emi left (up and coming promotion that might not have the greatest ringwork but was still fun to watch) as opposed to where IR is now (spinning its wheels having lost a good number of people to injury/resigning/school/etc. to the point where their top belt went from a freelancer to someone who debuted in 2011). If Fujimoto and/or Shida ever leave I think that's going to be it for Ice Ribbon.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 2, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hikari Minami officially resigned from Ice Ribbon so I guess we know where she's going if she comes back to wrestling once she's graduated.

Also GAMI's apparently retiring at the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Less than a week after winning the gold, new ICEx60 Champion Maki Narumiya is out indefinitely. Went to the doctor complaining of neck pain and they found spinal cord damage. News reports make it sound like a long-term recovery. Her status and that of the title is up in the air.

• Locked thread