Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Hello, working on the bike finally as the weather's a lot better, and I think I've discovered the electrical problem - main relay is vibrating when power is applied. Before I buy a new one, could that have affected any other systems on my CBR125, or since the fuses are all fine should a replacement sort it?

edit: Odd, even though it's in the Haynes the Honda parts place hadn't heard of it or got it on the system, and according to google its a bit of a weird one - an OMRON G8HN-1A4T-RJ-12V.

edit 2: I've never heard it vibrate before this, and don't have a fully charged 12V battery to absolutely confirm it's broken, but the Haynes says it should just click, it mentions nothing about buzzing on and on like a vibrator.

edit the third: Not a single place in Glasgow has that relay, the closest was a wholesalers that could order a G8HN-1C2T-R-DC12 from America in ten days, so even if they did have the right model...

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Don't worry about finding that exact part number, you're looking for a "micro ISO relay". The one you find may have an extra pin that yours doesn't, it should still plug in to your socket and work. However relays don't typically buzz when they get bad. They buzz when something is sending an incorrect signal to it or if there is a bad connection somewhere.

But before you do any more electrical diagnosis make sure you know 100% that you have a good, fully charged battery. Otherwise you're just creating headache for yourself and possibly chasing problems that don't exist. After that check/clean your power and ground connections (including where the ground lead connects to the frame).

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

What do you mean by "main relay"? If it's the starter relay (i.e., solenoid), that will not be the same thing as a typical BOSCH 4 or 5 pin relay.

Depending on the bike, however, you can replace the solenoid pretty easily. Some bikes can use the cheap solenoids from Home Depot in the lawnmower section.

Edit: looks like your part is not a solenoid but more like the BOSCH relays. Here is a guide to finding that poo poo and/or alternative parts.

http://www.gummycarbs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Micro-ISO_Relays

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The buzzing is because your battery doesn't have enough power to both keep the relay open and power the starter so it's rapidly opening and closing.

The real question is...why? Low/bad battery can cause it, but what caused that? Age, bad charging system, etc?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Z3n posted:

The buzzing is because your battery doesn't have enough power to both keep the relay open and power the starter so it's rapidly opening and closing.

The real question is...why? Low/bad battery can cause it, but what caused that? Age, bad charging system, etc?

The worst bit is, I posted that crap above and then the vague memories of the few electronic engineering classes floated into my head, I'd already tested the battery and seen I'd need to charge it since it was running at 8 loving volts, but discounted that as the problem with the relay, until I realised exactly what you just said. Got a car battery charger on its way round tonight, thankfully. No idea, I suspect it's a combination of the extremely cold snap we'd had and that I was leaving it sitting for a good week or two at a time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Does anyone here live in an apartment and also do their own bike work/repairs? Where do you do it? I won't be settling down for a looong time, so my only choice for wrenching would be at the curb in front of the building. Don't know how feasible that is.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I do. I live in a townhouse kind of place though so there's no crazy apartment manager lurking around. In fact, I don't know if we even have anyone that watches over this place.

It's kind of awkward though when you're surrounded by a bunch of rich girls in bmw's and stuff that just have daddy do work for them. I also don't do that crazy of stuff here - oil changes and little stuff sure but if I have something bigger I just find a buddy with a garage. I get paranoid people will gently caress poo poo up if I leave the fairings or seat off overnight or something.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I rent a garage from the leasing office. It's across the street from my building. At my old place, I just did everything in my parking spot (which only had a cover).
I take it you don't have either of those options, so I'd look for a friend's place you can wrench at.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

M42 posted:

Does anyone here live in an apartment and also do their own bike work/repairs? Where do you do it? I won't be settling down for a looong time, so my only choice for wrenching would be at the curb in front of the building. Don't know how feasible that is.

I have an uncovered, dedicated parking spot in the alley behind my building, which I also keep a car in. I do basic maintenance there when I need to and it's not raining. If it's more serious or the weather is lovely, I'll borrow some space in a buddy's garage.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

M42 posted:

Recently changed oil and pads in my parking garage (5th level). Won't be doing that again, it was a major hassle shuffling the tools back and forth.

I'm only now understanding the benefit of having your own garage.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I have an uncovered, dedicated parking spot in the alley behind my building, which I also keep a car in. I do basic maintenance there when I need to and it's not raining. If it's more serious or the weather is lovely, I'll borrow some space in a buddy's garage.

Basically this. If I can't get my bike back together in one session, I'll put tank+seat back on and put excess parts, fairings, tools, etc. in my car.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Being able to leave a bike disassembled overnight without worrying about it is the greatest joy in the world. My next place I live will definitely have a garage. I miss that poo poo.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

JP Money posted:

Being able to leave a bike disassembled overnight without worrying about it is the greatest joy in the world. My next place I live will definitely have a garage. I miss that poo poo.

loving hell do I agree. Being able to leave tools by the bike and not have to run up and down 4 flights of stairs because you forgot something would be such a nice luxury.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I agree. Even now I've got to run in and out of my apartment a million times to get tools. I just wanna leave my wrenches on the ground dammit. It would also give me a much better storage option than trying to cram all my bike related stuff into tupperware drawers.

This just made me realize how much I've been missing a garage :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My dream house has a big wide door or set of doors, and I can just roll my bike inside and work on it there. Garages always get the shaft when it comes to lighting / heating / air con.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

I did it for a long time while I was in college. It sucks and sometimes you'll have issues but if you're neat and don't spill poo poo everywhere, generally it's not a huge deal.

But then again, working in a garage is much nicer...I had people offer garage space when I started riding and it was much appreciated. Part of the reason I try and do the same every so often these days :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Safety Dance posted:

My dream house has a big wide door or set of doors, and I can just roll my bike inside and work on it there. Garages always get the shaft when it comes to lighting / heating / air con.

I do this with the scooter. I'd do the same with my bike, bit I can't get it around the 90 degree corners in those narrow, 70s halls.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Any suggestions on a headlight for a soon-to-be naked SV650? I like Aztec8 dual round setups, but I haven't heard anything about how well they light the road at night. I have pretty bad night vision.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Aztecs/dual headlights are popular with the SV crowd at the moment, but I hear they don't illuminate the road as well. I'd look for a stocker or something like it. I'd check out any salvage places if there are any near you. A full headlight assembly (bulb and all) in good condition can be had for $70-80.

E: Just in case you haven't already, register at svrider.com. Huge SV community.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Any suggestions on a headlight for a soon-to-be naked SV650? I like Aztec8 dual round setups, but I haven't heard anything about how well they light the road at night. I have pretty bad night vision.

Maybe look for a Bandit headlight unit. I'm pretty sure they're the same thing as the naked SV's. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-SV-6...ssories&vxp=mtr

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Wootcannon posted:

The worst bit is, I posted that crap above and then the vague memories of the few electronic engineering classes floated into my head, I'd already tested the battery and seen I'd need to charge it since it was running at 8 loving volts, but discounted that as the problem with the relay, until I realised exactly what you just said. Got a car battery charger on its way round tonight, thankfully. No idea, I suspect it's a combination of the extremely cold snap we'd had and that I was leaving it sitting for a good week or two at a time.

Bike battery on a car charger could be bad, couldn't it, guys?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't go over 2 amps and it's usually fine.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Bike battery on a car charger could be bad, couldn't it, guys?

I've been told it'll live, just keep a close eye on it and make sure to double check the amps. Luckily, a crossed wire (pun not intended) led to my mate dropping off a jumpstarter, not a charger. I'm actually quite happy with this, because it's like a giant defibrillator and it means I'm *obliged* to ride the bike for at least half an hour afterwards. Since I'll be driving down to pick up some grease, I'll just ride it without the panels, I have heard from people with naked bikes the engine sounds much better.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

Aztecs/dual headlights are popular with the SV crowd at the moment, but I hear they don't illuminate the road as well. I'd look for a stocker or something like it. I'd check out any salvage places if there are any near you. A full headlight assembly (bulb and all) in good condition can be had for $70-80.

E: Just in case you haven't already, register at svrider.com. Huge SV community.

Already registered at SVRider!

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe look for a Bandit headlight unit. I'm pretty sure they're the same thing as the naked SV's. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-SV-6...ssories&vxp=mtr

I think I'm leaning towards a stock headlamp. Known good light performance and much less pricey to boot. I've been to a car junkyard, but never heard of one for bikes. I'll google search my area to see if I can find one or prowl ebay for a week or so for a decent price.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wootcannon posted:

I've been told it'll live, just keep a close eye on it and make sure to double check the amps. Luckily, a crossed wire (pun not intended) led to my mate dropping off a jumpstarter, not a charger. I'm actually quite happy with this, because it's like a giant defibrillator and it means I'm *obliged* to ride the bike for at least half an hour afterwards. Since I'll be driving down to pick up some grease, I'll just ride it without the panels, I have heard from people with naked bikes the engine sounds much better.

Just remember to keep it running when you get to where you're going.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nsaP posted:

Or park on a hill.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Already registered at SVRider!

I think I'm leaning towards a stock headlamp. Known good light performance and much less pricey to boot. I've been to a car junkyard, but never heard of one for bikes. I'll google search my area to see if I can find one or prowl ebay for a week or so for a decent price.

I have a vrod headlight on my first gen SVS-SVN conversion, its a great headlight really bright.

this is what they look like on pointys. if you can get one cheap i highly recommend them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Newer Ducati Monster lights might work too, if you're looking for something more modern looking than stock.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone know where I can get this headlight?

Saw the bike at the IMS this weekend.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

^That's some futuristic movie concept bike stuff right there.

nsaP posted:

poo poo, for some reason I was under the impression if I drove it long enough I'd charge it. Drive it longer, or give it a ghetto charge from a car? Or drive to the mechanics and get a new battery/see if they'll charge it?

God, I'm gonna get a red-text custom title soon, aren't I.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ashex posted:

Anyone know where I can get this headlight?

Saw the bike at the IMS this weekend.

looks like an aftermarket car or truck foglight.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wootcannon posted:

poo poo, for some reason I was under the impression if I drove it long enough I'd charge it. Drive it longer, or give it a ghetto charge from a car? Or drive to the mechanics and get a new battery/see if they'll charge it?

Riding will charge it, however at 8v that battery may well be completely hosed. It may take a charge, but it probably wont hold it. Have you looked into how much a replacement is? I cant imagine the battery in your bike is particularly pricey, just got one for my old CB650 and it was only about 30 quid. I got a basic motorcycle-specific trickle charger at the same time for about 25.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

M42 posted:

Does anyone here live in an apartment and also do their own bike work/repairs? Where do you do it?

You're supposed to get security deposits back?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

echomadman posted:

I have a vrod headlight on my first gen SVS-SVN conversion, its a great headlight really bright.

I actually really like the black one. Did you have to do anything special to get it to mount to the SV's forks or did you just use stock hardware from the VROD lamp?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I actually really like the black one. Did you have to do anything special to get it to mount to the SV's forks or did you just use stock hardware from the VROD lamp?

I made my own brackets out of sheet aluminium to mount it off the pinch bolts on the lower triple, but any standard light mounts will work, it has lugs on either side with threaded holes in them. Google "vrod headlight SV650" and there are some threads on the various SV forums

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wootcannon posted:

^That's some futuristic movie concept bike stuff right there.

God, I'm gonna get a red-text custom title soon, aren't I.

Yeah, as ReelBigLizard said above under normal conditions driving it like that would charge it. But you aren't under normal conditions, you're still trying to diagnose exactly what discharged the battery.

It could have just gotten low and it'll be perfectly fine with a charge, then off you go!

But it also could have gotten low because the battery is dying, or your charging system has a problem, or or or... and if it's one of those reasons you can find yourself at the store with a bike that won't start again.

Custom text is for cocks, not the curious.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

quote:

But it also could have gotten low because the battery is dying, or your charging system has a problem, or or or... and if it's one of those reasons you can find yourself at the store with a bike that won't start again.

Excellent point. Idled it (and took it through the revs occasionally :P) outside for 45 minutes after jumpstarting it. It does seem that at least all the electrical connections are fine and that that battery is dying. While I hope it is just a case of extremely cold snap and long-time sitting about doing it, since I'm picking up a new battery tomorrow I'll try to run some diagnostics on the charging system before popping it back in, couldn't run them beforehand since I didn't have a fully charged battery.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 19, 2012

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Idling a motorcycle does not charge it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

I think he gets that, though why would you idle a bike for 45 minutes?

Unless you idled it at 4,000 to 5,000 RPM, that battery probably has less juice than when you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

depends on the bike. Old bikes, yeah, but newer ones with newer electrics should output a higher voltage at idle. You've got ECUs to power and fuel injectors to run, you don't want your battery discharging. My 06 Pegaso put out a solid 14v at idle.