Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I made this poster for Basic Instinct:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baron Bifford posted:

I made this poster for Basic Instinct:
:nws: that poo poo!

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

The Time Dissolver posted:

Getting a "fake Seinfeld movie" vibe off this one.

Me too.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

They're not even trying to hide what they're ripping off, are they?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The face on that 'Escape From Planet Earth' alien, has more of a 'Dreamworks Face' than anything Dreamworks has ever done.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For a small company they sure have some big names voicing their characters

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I feel like A-List casts are super easy to put together for animated films because it's like one day of work you have to pay each of them for. I never understood the desire to do this in the first place though, because I can't imagine that attracting audiences. Kids are going for the premise and cute characters and probably don't even know famous people, at least not by name and voice. Except me. But I was a weird child.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, that hosed John Carpenter for completing the trilogy, didn't it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Escape From Planet Earth seriously looks awful in every way possible. Every time I see the trailer I can do nothing but cringe.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I feel like A-List casts are super easy to put together for animated films because it's like one day of work you have to pay each of them for. I never understood the desire to do this in the first place though, because I can't imagine that attracting audiences. Kids are going for the premise and cute characters and probably don't even know famous people, at least not by name and voice. Except me. But I was a weird child.

I agree. I hate that animated movies don't hire skilled voice actors anymore and instead go for "big celebrities" who just show up and do the parts as themselves, basically. It sucks rear end and it's terrible.

I mean this is a video game example because for the most part big names don't want to do video games yet, so they actually "have" to use proper skilled voice actors, but look at these guys. Hell, look at THIS GUY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm3Z8E4F18&t=83s(*)

Or this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm3Z8E4F18&t=191s

EDIT: * holy poo poo that guy has been in a billion animated shows.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
There's nothing wrong with celebrity voices when used correctly. Sometimes they make the film better.
For example, I think Wreck-It Ralph would be so much less of a movie without the entirety of the cast they got. All of them made their characters really come alive. Same goes for How to Train Your Dragon, Baruchel is perfect for the little pipsqueak Viking, Gerard Butler perfect for the strong, booming-voiced father, and even Mintz-Plasse and Hill for the fat and over-confident ones.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GonSmithe posted:

There's nothing wrong with celebrity voices when used correctly. Sometimes they make the film better.

That's true, but it's also not really what I was talking about. I didn't mean to say that anyone who has done "proper" films should be automatically disqualified from voice acting, nor do I think the prodcution company hired Jane Lynch, Alan Tudyk or Ed O'Neil for their name value.

Just that these days it seems many studios value big names more than actual talent in voice acting (which is not exactly the same as ... well, call it full body acting, if you will) and that ends up hurting the movie because the performance isn't as good as what you'd get from a less known professional voice actor. You don't get a character, you get Tom Cruise or whoever, because that's what they want. They want Tom Cruise. If the viewers can't tell it's Tom Cruise, what's the point of hiring Tom Cruise?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

How to Train Your Dragon, Baruchel is perfect for the little pipsqueak Viking, Gerard Butler perfect for the strong, booming-voiced father, and even Mintz-Plasse and Hill for the fat and over-confident ones.

Craig Ferguson!

Also Jon Snow himself Kit Harrington is in the next one and I really hope they animate his mouth agape at all times.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Holy poo poo that chick at 4:00. So that's where all the alien voices are coming from.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

GonSmithe posted:

Escape From Planet Earth seriously looks awful in every way possible. Every time I see the trailer I can do nothing but cringe.

It looks better than I'd have expected from the creators of Hoodwinked, not that that's saying much. Though according to Wikipedia, it's the same producers, but not the same animation studio, which might explain it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That animation studio made Beast Wars and Reboot.

Those look really close to the Planet 51 character models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Der Shovel posted:

Just that these days it seems many studios value big names more than actual talent in voice acting (which is not exactly the same as ... well, call it full body acting, if you will) and that ends up hurting the movie because the performance isn't as good as what you'd get from a less known professional voice actor. You don't get a character, you get Tom Cruise or whoever, because that's what they want. They want Tom Cruise. If the viewers can't tell it's Tom Cruise, what's the point of hiring Tom Cruise?
It's especially weird with the Chipmunks movies. They have fairly big names playing the Chipmunks, then pitch their voices so much you can't even tel it's them. I don't see the point whatsoever.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Der Shovel posted:

That's true, but it's also not really what I was talking about. I didn't mean to say that anyone who has done "proper" films should be automatically disqualified from voice acting, nor do I think the prodcution company hired Jane Lynch, Alan Tudyk or Ed O'Neil for their name value.

It's all the more remarkable that they do this because their voice work is not at all distinctive. You'd never know it was Tom Cruise doing it unless you read his name on a poster or a review article. The only actor whom I can ever recognize by voice alone is Patrick Stewart. Everyone else SOUNDS THE SAME.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 18, 2012

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
A-listers aren't picked for their voices, they're picked so the studio can put their name on the posters and commercials.

I don't know if it actually puts asses in seats or not, or if the amount of asses it puts in seats is worth the expense of paying Brad Pitt a shitload of dough to appear in your animated movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Baron Bifford posted:

It's all the more remarkable that they do this because their voice work is not at all distinctive. You'd never know it was Tom Cruise doing it unless you read his name on a poster or a review article. The only actor whom I can ever recognize by voice alone is Patrick Stewart. Everyone else SOUNDS THE SAME.

I love picking out voice actors. My dad and I have a game where, when we're watching TV, if a commercial comes on with a voice over from someone one of us recognizes, we say, "Voice!" and the other has until the end of the commercial to guess it. Whenever I'm over at my parents house now and the TV's on, we still play. "Voice!" "Um, uh....Denis Leary!"

It's contagious. Once you start paying attention to that, you can't turn it off. It's how, while I was playing Diablo III, when Tyreal spoke I knew it was Dr. Goodman from the first season of Bones. Or that the Witch Doctor was Dixon from Alias. It's incredible fun. In the dorkiest kind of way.

It's also a completely unmarketable skill.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

SRM posted:

It's especially weird with the Chipmunks movies. They have fairly big names playing the Chipmunks, then pitch their voices so much you can't even tel it's them. I don't see the point whatsoever.

To make it even more pointless, the big-name actors also didn't bother doing the singing parts, they were done by Ross Bagdasarian Jr. and Janice Karman (who were the producers & voice actors for the 80s series). Jesse McCartney is a professional singer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

I love picking out voice actors.

It's also a completely unmarketable skill.

Well, it could help in becoming a voice casting agent or director of voice talent.

"Nah nah, this Celtic warrior needs more of a gruffness in his voice while still retaining a bit of the insecure nasally whine of his youth. Like...I know, remember that ad for Papa Gino's Pizza that ran during the summer of `92? Voiced by Scott Maclean, who went on to do a walk-on on Ally McBeal for a few episodes? We need him."

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
As much as it pains me to say it, big name actors nowadays add a sense if legitimacy to an animated film. How many here gave Foodfight a shot as the movie somehow snagged Charlie Sheen and Christopher Lloyd compared to the equally mind boggling but star-empty Ratatoing?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vegetable posted:

For a small company they sure have some big names voicing their characters

It's pretty surprising who some of these straight-to-dvd movies can get to voice their characters. Look at all the names in Foodfight

e: beaten

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baron Bifford posted:

The only actor whom I can ever recognize by voice alone is Patrick Stewart. Everyone else SOUNDS THE SAME.

I've begun to recognize Jennifer Hale's voice, but that's mainly because she's in basically everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

I've begun to recognize Jennifer Hale's voice, but that's mainly because she's in basically everything.

I recognize Hale, Nolan North, and Troy Baker, all for this reason.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

Keith David.

Although that being said, even if Keith David and John Witherspoon were standing next to each other in front of me I couldn't tell who was who and which movies TV shows and video games each was in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

Though notably no major roles in theatrical releases. She's one of the biggest names in voice acting too.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Sheldrake posted:

As much as it pains me to say it, big name actors nowadays add a sense if legitimacy to an animated film. How many here gave Foodfight a shot as the movie somehow snagged Charlie Sheen and Christopher Lloyd compared to the equally mind boggling but star-empty Ratatoing?

As far as I am aware, "Ratatoing" did not have nearly as bizarre a production history as "Food Fight", which is why I subjected myself to it.

Anyway, for content:

I don't know about you, but I'm going to go watch "Return to OZ" again.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rahonavis posted:

As far as I am aware, "Ratatoing" did not have nearly as bizarre a production history as "Food Fight", which is why I subjected myself to it.

Anyway, for content:

I think she looks pretty good there, my only concern is they seem to be trying to make her "sexy" since it's Mila Kunis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, what gives with making her stacked?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, what gives with making her stacked?

Disney's been doing that to their female villians for years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ratatouille is my second favorite Pixar movie and is loving awesome :argh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

kiimo posted:

They're not talking about it, they're talking about Ratatoing:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheJoker138 posted:

I recognize Hale, Nolan North, and Troy Baker, all for this reason.

I haven't gotten to this point with Nolan North, but I hit it with Yuri Lowenthall right after Persona 4, when I noticed that despite his fairly respectable range there's that same sound to his voice you can hear if he's saying anything longer than three words.

kiimo posted:

They're talking about Ratatoing, not Ratatouille. If they were I wouldn't accept people speaking against Patton Oswalt that way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

Anyway, for content:

Is this poster entirely in CGI or something? She doesn't look real at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

They're not talking about it, they're talking about Ratatoing:

Haha oh yeah that lovely thing. I watched some of that after it was posted last time. Incomprehensible.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

Anyway, for content:

This movie is going to tank something fierce.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Hasters posted:

I think she looks pretty good there, my only concern is they seem to be trying to make her "sexy" since it's Mila Kunis.
I'd watch a movie about Mila Kunis as a sexy evil witch.

But this is not that movie, in fact it looks to be a big dumb kids movie with James Franco going "golly!" and holding his hat as he dodges magic fireballs.

But I guess that poster will trick a few 20-something males into buying tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

This movie is going to tank something fierce.

No, it'll do gangbusters. People loved Alice in Wonderland, and this looks like more of that, and they're throwing the name around a bunch as well to get people to realize the connection. It's going to be huge.