Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So my friend has a puch with a tomos a35 engine on it. After accidentally turning on the choke which the bike can't start on and won't reset unless you open it, which we did, there has been a lot of pinging coming from the engine once it idles from kick. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I don't know how in over my head I am. I traded my non-running Suzuki SV125 for it.

I know it's a May 1976 Motobecane with 1647 miles, but that's about all I know about it. The odometer assembly says Hurel so I guess that's what it is? There is rust (no gas at all) in the tank and all the electrics are non working. The stop engine cable is down to about 3 threads and the left pedal isn't bolted on. I took a video of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PRGiQWGxFQ

I tried to turn the throttle and it doesn't really let me twist it. Is that normal? I'm not sure how these things run compared to scooters. Single speed right and turns over using the pedals right? Need any choke or anything?

Everything else looks great. The odometer says 1700 or so and there's very little surface rust and the paint is fabulous. Plus the engine looks to be in pretty good shape and the tires look brand new. Oh and the brakes work.

Where should I start? Engine tear down and rebuild with tank rust removal?

Also I know I need to pre-mix, but not sure the ratios or anything.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 29, 2012

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...

cheese eats mouse posted:

Where should I start? Engine tear down and rebuild with tank rust removal?

Also I know I need to pre-mix, but not sure the ratios or anything.

I would start by fixing or replacing the throttle cable, tearing down the top end and replacing gaskets and making sure everything looks good, and then fixing/replacing whatever electrical issues you are having. As far as premix goes, 50:1 is the standard ratio. I run 100:1 but I'm using Amsoil Sabre oil and they tell you specifically to run 100:1.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone have any experience ordering a complete bike via piratecycles, 1977, tomosscooters.com etc that they would recommend. Don't have a dealer anywhere near me, getting to the point where I'm looking to get back into peds, and the dropship charge looks to be better than my driving out to find the closest dealer (3 hrs away and still more expensive than getting it shipped).

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Bought this for :20bux:, how'd I do?

I need a non-working bike like I need a hole in the head, since I have a beater GS500 sitting outside that hasn't run in months and is steadily becoming a rat-bike due to morons knocking it over while parking and then running off.

In any case, I impulse-bought it for $20, does that seem a reasonable price to toss it back up on Craigslist for, or SA Mart or something? It was going to be taken to the dump, and I just didn't want to see it go to waste, so I walked this drat thing 10 blocks uphill and went upstairs to find a chain to lash it to a rail; quite surprised nobody stole it in the 5 minutes that took given it's DC.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd bet it's worth more than 20 dollars just by scrap weight, and at least a hundred bucks if you part it out to sell to hipsters. What does it need to run?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Hero Panther Majestic, possibly a better Indian moped than Kinetic, with a swapped variated somethingorother (Motobecane?) engine.

Nice commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weoi3Vc1oO0

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I have a pug 103 with a w-port polini kit. It was running just fine, but this morning I fired it up and it will rev up but wont move. Im thinking the clutch is blown. The flywheel turns smoothly, the plug isnt gummed up, and the timing seems to be okay.

What do you guys think?

Im buying a Puch Sabre tomorrow morning too. gently caress yes.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Yeah. If the engine is running just fine but you aren't moving, I'm gonna go with a clutch issue.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If I was going to sell the Moby I got what would a reasonable price for a non-running moped? I really don't have the time for it.

I was thinking around $100-200.

If anyone hear is interested I live in KY.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 12, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Might be better to part it out unless there's a lot of riders in the area.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Might be better to part it out unless there's a lot of riders in the area.

Yea there are a few moped groups. I sold it to a friend for $50 yesterday.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

I finally got started on the big mods to my hobbit (after throwing ~$600 into the engine and drivetrain on a bike that isn't rolling) The motor mount has been moved back three inches to increase the wheelbase. I was going to lower it 1-2 inches too but decided against it as longer shocks will produce a similar effect and wont require hours of cutting/bending/welding to make sure everything remains as strong or stronger than stock. I have a set of K10 forks on the way from Ohio and will decide on the appropriate length of shock once the forks are on. I am planning on adding a top tank when I find one that fits well and looks good and isn't crazy expensive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
If you guys need any parts for french mopeds (peugeot/motobecane) they are still widely available and pretty cheap in my country (France), you can even get brand new racing parts like exhausts and cylinders for dirt cheap. If you need anything just let me know and I'll check prices.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sick Funzys.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

They are like unchewed bubble gum.

bigbluetotoro
Nov 11, 2004
a'ight you get in the fridge

ShaneB posted:

Sick Funzys.

Yes! that hobbit is looking great. I've always loved them but never had a chance to own one. #1 fastest moped I've ridden was a hobbit. they can be freaking rockets. also Funzys are awesome but looks so goofy.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So speaking of Hobbits, my shop has had one for months, and I can't seem to get rid of it.

So far, I've replaced the carburetor for the second time, fixed the decompression valve, replaced crankshaft seals, air filter, removed the engine several times, checked the reeds, cleaned the spark plug & tested spark, compression and gas. I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Most recently I replaced the crank seals, put everything back together, and now it doesn't run or start at all, despite having good spark, good compression (150 psi) and getting fuel (wet spark plug). Now I'm thinking the carb is not vaporizing the fuel properly because it sat for a few weeks, or the new carb doesn't have the adjustment screws set properly. What's a good starting point to adjust the screws from? I started with both set in about 1 1/2 turns out, but then I thought that was too rich because the spark plug was soaked, then I set it to 5 turns out and it's not as soaked but still doesn't start up.

Is there some special starting method? This guy who comes by the shop says I have to hold the decompression valve while pedaling, then let go once it starts to start and roll on the throttle. Doesn't make any sense.

This bike is like a bad penny. It's also so difficult to start, I snapped off one of the pedals :reject:

vvv drat. I've been able to get it started without the decompression before. I thought it was a Jake Brake kind of thing to quickly turn off the motor.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 13, 2012

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
He is right, decompress, pedal and release decompression

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

red19fire posted:

vvv drat. I've been able to get it started without the decompression before. I thought it was a Jake Brake kind of thing to quickly turn off the motor.

I could be wrong, but I think the decompression lever is actually there to make the engine easier to turn over, specifically so that it's easier to start. Old, large-displacement kick-start-only motorcycles have them too.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Yeah, it helps you start it by making it easier to get the piston moving(less resistance) when the starter clutch catches. If it is tuned nice, you won't necessarily need it but it sure doesn't hurt unless it leaks and then it does hurt.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Yep, it's there so you're able to pick up decent speed while pedalling.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are motorized bikes allowed in here? I've been looking at a Grubee Skyhawk engine to throw on my bike, but the instructions range from poor to dreadful. I have a several year old GT Avalanche that I'm contemplating using as a donor, but I have some doubts over the frame size and the down tube. The clearance for the motor itself seems to be tight, but looking at pictures it seems do-able. The real problem seems to be that the down tube is massive at ~5" around, so I think I'd have some serious issues mounting it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I've said this before, but having done it, it's not really worth it if you're looking for something practical. The brakes aren't set up for the kind of speeds you'd reach. The hubs aren't set up for the kind of power you'd make. The potential for getting flat tires is increased and more catastrophic when it happens. Breaking is an inevitability for those Chinese 2-stroke engines. Plus, the tanks that come with those kits do not look good on anything other than a beach cruiser. Also, there may be laws against riding a motorized bicycle on the street in your area. Just having remotely adequate lighting costs as much as an engine kit.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
My girlfriend has a bit of a frankenstein bike. Its got a Puch Magnum frame but a Tomos Sprint A35 engine. It has a 14:12 dellorto carb I believe. She bought the bike like this, and its her first one. She got it working and the thing ripped pretty hard considering its not kitted or ported. The only thing weird on it is the fact that the previous owner disabled the choke on the carb. I'm not entirely sure what this entails but if you turn the choke on you cannot turn it off without actually getting in there with a screwdriver (fully engaging the throttle does not "pop" the choke back off).

The thing that is weird about her bike is it will seemingly randomly just die. It will act kind boggy, like its not ripping as hard as it should and then it will just die and refuse to start. We cannot figure out why this happens. Sometimes it will act a little boggy but then come back to life and ride fine for weeks. Sometimes when it does die we pull the carb off and do a whole carb clean and it seems to start again. We thought maybe there was gunk in the tank but we have been through several tanks of gas, and there is an inline filter that is almost perfectly clean so I cannot figure out what could be getting to the carb and when doing a carb clean the carb always looks spotless. Any ideas?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bovril Delight posted:

Are motorized bikes allowed in here? I've been looking at a Grubee Skyhawk engine to throw on my bike, but the instructions range from poor to dreadful. I have a several year old GT Avalanche that I'm contemplating using as a donor, but I have some doubts over the frame size and the down tube. The clearance for the motor itself seems to be tight, but looking at pictures it seems do-able. The real problem seems to be that the down tube is massive at ~5" around, so I think I'd have some serious issues mounting it.

I've a Skyhawk myself. They're fun little things to tinker with and get for puttering around small towns, but for anything more than five miles I'd keep looking. Mine runs fairly well, it can hit 35mph but i keep it around 25. Brakes are ok if you can find pads that won't wear down in a few stops. Disc or drum would be best since rim brakes suck in rain, and don't use coasters. I went the extra hundred and got some heavy duty wheels with thicker spokes, the same place sells drum hubs now that they'll build for whatever size tire ya want. Best to get a good bike too, not those cheepo Walmart bikes and definitely not that Onyx 29" bike, the aluminum frame won't hold up to the engine torque and vibration.
Depending on what ya want it for, it will get expensive. I use mine to make the 1 1/2 mile trip to work so I've got a Cree headlight and battery for forty bucks off ebay, one of those cheapo brake/turn setups for bikes and built a dual 6 volt taillight setup for about 100. Plus the cops in my town are pretty easy going. I register them with the SoS just to be safe though.

You just really need to remember one thing though. It's a bicycle, not a motorcycle, crotch rocket, dirt bike, moped or anything else. If you start pushing it like it was something more you will have a catastrophic failure (People in this thread, including me, have had the front fenders break loose on them and sent the rider flying). They get a bad rap a lot, but they can be lots of fun and hold up pretty well as long as you take care of it and respect it for what it is.

As for the Skyhawk itself, I've had nothing but good luck with them. Stay away from those unbranded Chinese engines, they're kinda hit and miss. Had one that ran great for three years, had two others that were missing bearings and one that had a cracked piston.

Custom Motored Bicycles (I don't want to link to a store site without the mods ok) has a lot of aftermarket parts to make things go a bit smoother and look less ugly (in the case of the gas tank). Some can look really good

bigbluetotoro
Nov 11, 2004
a'ight you get in the fridge
sounds like it might need a new plug if you haven't tried that yet. if you already did that check for consistent spark. those stock A35 CDI units are all starting to die out over time. I've had to replace 4 in the past year.... also with the SHA carbs sometimes the choke won't disengage if you don't have the right tension on the throttle cable. to test it without the bike running just screw out the adjuster on the top of the carb really far and see if you can disengage the choke with the throttle after that. it could also be something in there with the return spring is jacked.

Oh also next time you clean the carb pull the float needle out. the little rubber tip should be perfectly pointy. these also often go bad in the SHA carbs. if it starts to get worn out it will stick and not let gas get into the carb at random intervals.

bigbluetotoro fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 7, 2013

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I honestly can't believe what a cakewalk an E50 rebuild is if you have the right tools (bearing puller, snap ring pliers, a vice helps). I've got a lead on a freshly powdercoated Maxi frame/fork/swingarm in "light jade", that I think will make a great girlfriend bike. Fingers crossed it doesn't look like poo poo once I see photos.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

They really are stupid easy. The only part that can suck is trying to pull the stator side bearing off without a puller that fits in the tight space but if you have tools it takes about an hour to split, swap bearings, and reseal the case and be ready to throw it back on the bike.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

It was 70 degrees yesterday so stopped being lazy and got my Hobbit all done sans a very little wiring assembly and a pedal needing to be welded to the shaft. I made a new/better/prettier intake a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty impressed with it at least.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Love the headlight.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I probably shouldn't be messing with a moped while I'm trying to repair a motorcycle, but this Craigslist one is awfully cute:

What say you for the $380 for this mildly-tweaked (and slightly rat-ed) Targa?

I wrote him to see if he has the title for it (which I imagine he probably doesn't) since DC in its infinite wisdom requires registration for everything, including <49cc. It's only $30, but it's still a required trip to the DMV, title, and insurance. I'm sure collision insurance is like $5/mo on a moped, but there's still probably another $15/mo in liability.

In any case, does that some a reasonable deal, for everything in working condition except for the headlights?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In any case, does that some a reasonable deal, for everything in working condition except for the headlights?

I have a problem with Tomos mopeds in general, but they are honestly easy to make pretty fast (50+) and are durable as gently caress. TTLX's are super ugly to me, but that one ain't awful. Does it have any upgrades?

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Same as Shane, I don't like Tomos especially any of the newer models, but 380 is a good price so long as there are no major repairs needed.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ShaneB posted:

I have a problem with Tomos mopeds in general, but they are honestly easy to make pretty fast (50+) and are durable as gently caress. TTLX's are super ugly to me, but that one ain't awful. Does it have any upgrades?

Apparently it sold pretty quickly, but at that price I'd assume no title, which in DC is problematic. Among other things, DC will apparently actually test your moped to see if it can break 35mph or whatever, the speed where its classified as a motorcycle. That's not just hearsay, the actual publication from the DMV states (among various case studies) that a girl tried to get off by insisting her 49cc bike didn't need registration/plates/helmet, so they called her bluff and got it to 40mph, thus proving it was a "motorcycle".

In any case, any DC-area goons, I met a guy on Craigslist who's trying to get some moped meet-up action going. If you're local and want to meet other moped riders, PM me and I'll shoot you his contact info. Myself, I think for the time being I might just stick with my Ninja 500, since I'm putting some work into it to make it badass, and am really missing having a vehicle that can do highways.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

That really does suck. I am torn between hating Missouri for bring so rear end backwards in so many ways but, at the same time, so easy in other regards.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

My gang The Ruffians is hosting a rally next month and it is gonna be awesome. The ride is going to visit a park home to caves full of bats, a skate park, and an awesome St Louis brewery (Schlafly, yes, related to Phyllis Schlafly, no, not a total oval office) and will be hosted in an old police station converted to an art gallery that has a cell for misbehavers. Here is the facebook page for it. http://www.facebook.com/events/500175253367866/ Come and hang out in a city where Albert Pujols played before he stopped being awesome and the black homicide rate is sky high.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

My buddy's snowped this year is a mish-mash of Honda Hobbit, Yamaha Vino, and skis.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is awesome! How does it drive?

Any idea what the skis are from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

The previous version had chains looped around the back wheel and rocked for grip this one has zip ties around the back wheel and they suck on the icy sleety snow we got last week. I don't remember what the skis started out as. The ski wheel is several years old now and I drank much when it was first put together. They are just a hacked off portion of a kids ski I imagine.

• Locked thread